• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed L'aventure sans titre (A Kalos Journey RP)

Rex

Resident Furry
"Thanks!" Liam grinned, "It was pretty close there, but we pulled it off in the end!"

So his new Pokemon was called a Trapinch. It was an ambush predator, which explained the pit trap. It was a Ground Type, which was probably why Richard's Water Gun affected it so much while Vector's Fire Fang barely seemed to make a dent, and it would evolve into a Dragon. That sounded pretty cool! This Trapinch would need a name, which was something Liam had time to consider, seeing as they still had a long way to go until they made it to Lumiose.

"I uh... Didn't think it'd pull me in so readily," the boy confessed in response to Gad's comment, "Guess I should have known better. But hey! If I never examined it, I'd never have found this guy. So there's a silver lining to the whole experience."

Now, where were they. Opening up his notebook again, Liam relocated the page on Route 13, and started off down the path again. There were a few more Trapinch pits along the way, but Liam knew better this time. Once again, the party was enveloped in relative silence. After an hour or two of travel like this, an alarmed bark from Richard brought Liam's attention to a strange sight in the distance.

For the most part, it was a clear day. Only a few wispy clouds high in the sky. Except, there seemed to be a localized mass of clouds far in the distance. Deep black, storm clouds, by the looks of things. Liam checked his notebook again. If he knew his directions right, and he was pretty sure of his ability, the clouds were amassed in the direction of the solar power plant, one of the four structures that provided the power for most of the Kalos region, all located at the edges of the badlands.

"Is there a storm moving in?" Liam frowned, "better get moving."

He redoubled his pace. Getting caught in the rain was the last thing the party needed, as much as Richard would have enjoyed it. Oddly though, as they continued down the path, the storm never seemed to move. Liam looked back at it periodically. Some sort of visual phenomena based on the relative speed of the party and the clouds, perhaps?

After a few more hours of walking, he pushed the storm out of his mind. He was tired, and hungry, and Lumiose was finally on the horizon. It was sunset by the time they reached the hillside they would lead them down into the city proper. He'd put some thought into what to call his Trapinch. He'd tell it to the Pokemon during dinner, after they had a rest in the Pokemon Center. Flipping a few pages in his notebook to the map of Lumiose, Liam turned to Gad.

"Light's fading fast, should probably hurry to the center."

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea woke up to the sound of furious wings flapping around her head. Rather, it wasn't the noise itself that woke her up, but a sudden smack in the face when Lydian decided it would be a good idea to flutter right in front of her nose.

"Okay, I'm up, I'm up. What's wrong with you guys all of a sudden?" She asked the group of Vivillon. Fridge flew around and landed on the clock in the room, pointing at it. It was... eleven?! Holy crap was she late-

Shooting out of bed, the girl quickly went through her morning routine, taking a quick shower and brushing her teeth, before putting on a change of clothes and grabbing a croissant at the food court and some more juice for her Pokemon. She released Io and Aeolian from their Pokeballs as she left the Center, who fluttered about with the others and generally seemed to avoid each other. Really couldn't blame them, after the fiasco that happened yesterday.

"Alright guys, we're going to have to walk through the badlands to go to Lumiose." The group of Vivillon seemed upset by this and chirped at her, some more angrily than others. "We don't have much of a choice; the terrain isn't exactly vehicle-friendly. Anyone who doesn't want to deal with the environment can stay in their Pokeballs until we make it to the other side."

The three Vivillon who had been out the whole night seemed to be willing to be returned to their respective Pokeballs. Io and Aeolian, however, chose to stay out. It seemed the more reasonable response from them, knowing their respective personalities. As she returned the others into their Pokeballs, she looked at the two fiestier Vivillon. "Don't fight, please? There aren't going to be many other people out there, but... well, I only have so many potions." The two chirped something back at her, and she took that to be a yes. Nodding, she turned around and set off towards the gate, ready to take on the badlands.

The trek was tiring, and it was at times like these that Andrea wished she could fly instead of walk. Io and Aeolian also seemed to be troubled throughout most of the journey, and at one point seemed to uncharacteristically spaz out. She looked around and saw what appeared to be a storm. That definitely wasn't there two days ago. The girl stared at the dark clouds and flashing lights for a while, mesmerized by their shifting shapes.

Thankfully, Io and Aeolian weren't willing to flutter around all day, and the started to fly in her field of vision to distract her. Andrea blinked, somehow managing to bring herself back down to earth. "R-right, gotta move on before it gets too dark." The sun already seemed to be setting, and as much as she wanted to watch it go all the way down, she knew she didn't have the time to. Maybe next time.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful; the two Vivillon would occasionally bicker with each other, the three of them had a small dinner together, and the Pokemon in the area seemed to be avoiding them for the most part. A few curious Dugtrio did appear a couple times, but they didn't seem malicious.

By the time Andrea reached the gate, the sun was long gone, and the stars twinkled in its place. She turned to her Pokemon, both who seemed too exhausted to fly much further. "Alright, Pokemon center, and then crashing. We'll go meet Mom in the morning," she said to them. The two Vivillon tiredly nodded back at her, unable to even chirp at this point. Poor things.

Her legs felt like lead, but she somehow managed to find the closest of the three Pokemon centers in the city down between Magenta and Centrico Plaza. She stumbled in and asked for a room, lazily grabbing her keys when they were given to her and crashing in room 26.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: short, crappy, but at least it's something.

Lumiose City - "The City of Light" according to the large map displayed near the gatehouse connecting its great boulevards to Route 13 - appeared to be built in the general shape of a ten-spoked wheel. At its center, like an axle, was the Prism Tower - a great tower of glass and metal that was perhaps the most iconic landmark of the Kalos Region as a whole. Surrounding the tower was a wheel-within-a-wheel of five plazas, each named after a different color. The nearest Pokémon Center - of which there were at least three in this city - was supposed to be a straight up walk towards the tower looming in the distance, right next to Magenta Plaza. Seemed like a solid enough direction to go for now - after a long day of marching through the badlands Gad could certainly see Liam's point about heading to the Center as soon as possible.

Lumiose had a rather distinctive architectural style, rows of densely-packed Beaux-Arts buildings lining the streets, assorted little shops and cafes at their street-level entrances. The streets were paved with brick and cobblestone and often decorated with flowerbeds and trees. The street along which they were walking was bifurcated by a long, wide canal occasionally intersected by bridges. The trainer couldn't help but enjoy the view - in spite of a natural sense of discomfort that came from being in a large, unfamiliar city. Gad was not a fan of big cities - and Lumiose was certainly big - In fact, the only city he's been to that felt this big was Castelia, and he's only been there fairly briefly. Lumiose felt even bigger somehow - although perhaps 'denser' would have been more accurate - and unlike Coumarine, Lumiose was teeming with people - both locals and tourists - going about their business, sometimes with their Pokémon in tow - blending in with the local urban birds and the occasional Gogoat belonging to one of the city's elaborate public transporation systems. His natural instincts to walk fast and weave through paths of least resistance (and fewest people) kicked in - it was quite a bit of a walk from the Route 13 gate to Magenta Plaza, but eventually, they made it to the center.

"Welp, we're here." he nodded at Liam "Might as well grab rooms and then hit the diner wing - and you should probably have your team looked at."

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
Lumiose was beautiful, lit up in the night sky. Liam had seen maps, of course. He had copied down a few as well. But that didn't prepare him for the other major thing about Lumiose, how absolutely gigantic it was. It was much bigger than anything he'd ever seen in Sinnoh. The trainer recalled his Buizel, in this large a city, with this many people around, he didn't want to risk Richard getting lost, or worse, stolen.

After a short walk down one of the main streets to the city center, the two trainers entered the Pokemon Center located a short walk from the Gym tower. Paging through his notes on Lumiose, Liam recalled that the local leader, a boy just a few years older than him, was named Clemont, and he trained Electric Type Pokemon. He vaguely recalled that Ground Types had an advantage against Electric Types, but at the same time, his team had a major weakness to them in the form of Richard, and he didn't want to force his Trapinch to take the majority of the beating. Probably wasn't a very conductive way to get on the Pokemon's good side.

Gad broke him from his thoughts, suggesting room bookings and dinner - not to mention, Vector and the Trapinch had taken a beating, and needed healing. "Good idea, I'll get them healed up, and meet you in the dining hall," Liam replied.

A few minutes later, he had his Pokemon back, his room key - he was in 15 this time - and was on his way to the dining hall. Once there he grabbed, for himself, a few sandwiches and some milk, and piled another plate with ham and water for his Pokemon. Hopefully the Trapinch would be okay with dead meat. This was Liam's first experience with a properly 'wild' Pokemon, both Richard and Vector having been born in captivity. Gad made it look easy, with his Clauncher. Hopefully it would be the same for Liam.

The boy quickly found where Gad was sitting, and again took the seat opposite him. First, he let Richard and Vector out of their Pokeballs, just in case. Then he picked up the Trapinch's Pokeball. "Okay guys," he said to his Pokemon, forcing a nervous smile, "Time to properly introduce you to your new teammate, try to make a good impression."

With that done, he released the Trapinch. It took a look around, trying to get its bearings, then down at the floor, which was likely more solid than it had ever experienced. Finally, the Pokemon looked up at Liam, somewhat displeased. The trainer carefully knelt down and reached out to pet the Pokemon.

"H-hey little guy, welcome to Lumiose-" he didn't get to say anymore before the Trapinch snapped at his fingers. Liam hastily withdrew his hand, while Vector, reacting to the threat display, leaped forward, growling. "No no! It's okay Vector!" Liam soothed. Now he had to run damage control, what to do, what to do?

The trained grabbed one of the slices of ham, and laid it out for the Trapinch, "I got food, are you hungry?"

The Pokemon looked at Liam, then at Vector, and back again to Liam. Then it grabbed the ham slice, threw it into the air, and caught it, devouring the slice pretty much at once. "It's good, right?" Liam smiled, offering another slice. This too was eaten, and by now the Trapinch seemed to have calmed down. "Sorry about earlier, I didn't mean to intrude upon your territory, but I was hoping we could be friends?"

He slowly reached out his hand again. The Trapinch considered it for a moment, before nuzzling against it once. Not wanting to push his luck, Liam withdrew his hand again, smiling more assuredly now. "Great! I was thinking of a name I could call you, what do you think about Enrico?" The Trapinch seemed to consent to this, so the trained moved forward with introductions, "I'm Liam, and these two are Richard and Vector," he said, motioning to the Buizel and Poochyena in turn. Then he pointed at Gad, "We're on an adventure with this trainer, his name is Gad. I'll let him introduce his Pokemon if he'd like to."

He set down the plate of ham and water bowl, "try to share, okay? There should be enough for all three of you, but if you want more, I can get some." The Trapinch nodded, and, of course, Richard and Vector didn't need the lecture. That done, Liam took a seat at the table and picked up his own dinner, offering Gad another smile. "You make it look so easy! I think I did alright though."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
With his own day being quiet and devoid of battles, Gad had little reason to bother the nurse for anything aside from a room, and he figured that could probably wait a bit - he was certainly hungrier than anything else. Aside from one or two home-made, dried cereal-and-berry bars that he carried around as travel rations (compact, nutritious, filling and safely-storing for quite a while) he hasn't eaten anything since breakfast, and he certainly felt it.

And so he hit the diner wing, picking up a plate of something referred to as Cordon Bleu - breaded rolls of some kind of fowl stuffed with cheese and ham and serve with vegetables as a side dish - along with a chilled bottle of Nomel Berry Iced Tea, a bowl of mixed leaves and berries for Zorya and a few slices of some meat product or another for Synalpheus. He spotted an empty table and parked there, releasing the two arthropods and setting their food down for them. He did not have to wait long before Liam spotted the table and joined him, letting his Pokémon out as well and introducing himself to the newest member of his team - newly christened "Enrico".

"You make it look so easy! I think I did alright though." the other trainer smiled.

"You did just fine." Gad smiled in return. "To be fair, Synalpheus decided he wanted to come with me of his own free will rather than being defeated in battle and captured, so I'd imagine it's a bit of a different experience. That said, Every Pokémon is different - and I'd imagine that every experience with one is, too."

He turned to the Trapinch for a moment and nodded in greeting.

"In any case, nice to meet you, Enrico. I'm Gad - and these two here," he gestured towards the Larvesta and Clauncher, who were at the moment slightly occupied with their food bowls "are my partners, Zorya and Synalpheus."
Hearing their names, the two Pokémon shifted their attention to the new arrival. The Larvesta chirped in greeting whereas the Clauncher appeared to take a small bow, before they returned to their meal. Introductions done, Gad proceeded to crack open his bottle of tea and begin a tactical assault upon his dinner. This so called 'Cordon Bleu' was not going to consume itself.

Rex

Resident Furry
Enrico considered Gad's two Pokemon. A simple nod was all the Trapinch returned, before he turned to his food. Soon, everyone was eating, though no one quite so slowly as Liam.

The young trainer was considering their next actions. There was no way he would try to take on Clemont. He needed to get to Anistar as soon as possible. And if he was going via Santalune as he planned, there was no time to waste. On the other hand, he had to consider what Gad wanted. He took a sip of his drink, before opening his knapsack and pulling out his notebook. He cracked it open, turning to Lumiose's page.

"Clemont trains Electric Types, we're both at a disadvantage there," Liam said. "After we pay a visit to the Professor, I was thinking of moving on. To Santalune, and from there to Snowbelle. Not really big on sightseeing."

He paused for a moment, looking up to Gad, "Unless there's something you want to check out? You probably know this city better than I do."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"To be honest, I've been living in Kalos for a few months and haven't exactly had the chance to visit Lumiose yet." Gad shrugged "Or much of a reason to, really - big cities aren't exactly my thing. So yeah, I'm quite content to get what we came for and move on."

He took another sip of his tea.

"As for Clemont... Yeah, I could rely on Zorya's natural resistances against Ramos - not exactly the case with a trainer that runs Electric-types. I think I'll deal with him the next time I end up here. The way the roads run in Kalos, I'll more than likely end up here again sooner than later."

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam nodded. Gad was in agreement that they ought to just move on. Still, a visit with the regional Professor was in their schedules for tomorrow. Best turn in early, so they could meet him and still head for the next town with a good amount of light remaining in the day. Liam was honestly tired from all that walking, as well. He and his Pokemon finished their food, the latter of which were then recalled to their Pokeballs.

"I'm going to turn in early," Liam said, "See you in the morning!"

Upon entering his room for the night, 15, Liam went through the same song and dance of changing out of his day clothes and throwing them into the wash. He should probably take a shower, but there was always the morning. The boy was honestly too tired right now. He collapsed in bed, and was soon asleep.

---

Liam awoke to the first rays of the morning sun streaming through his window. The beginning of day three of his adventure through Kalos. Day two had been eventful, what with him capturing a Pokemon for the first time. This day would prove to be just as interesting, with him meeting a regional professor for the first time. Though he had lived in Sinnoh for years, Liam had never met Professor Rowan, only seen him on television. Not that he ever had reason to meet the man, his mother had never wanted him to become a Trainer. Kalos' professor, Sycamore, was someone he'd only read about.

The day began with a shower, then Liam changed back into his clean day clothes. After making sure his bag was packed, he made his way to the cafeteria - he didn't want to seem weird by waiting for Gad again. Feeling a little adventurous today, Liam decided to try a more local breakfast - a 'croissant au beurre.' This was dipped in hot chocolate, a good drink regardless of season in Liam's mind, which gave it a great flavor. Perhaps he'd try something local again for dinner. His Pokemon, of course, took the usual staples of meats and water.

He ate slowly, not wanting Gad to feel rushed when the other Trainer arrived. In the meantime, he took a look at his maps for the next route. Route 4, also called Parterre Way, was a more well kept route, with a proper road. That would make travel easier. It was a straight shot to Santalune, rendering Liam's cartography skills rather moot. It would be a nice break, he supposed. He'd be able to take in the scenery rather than keep his nose buried in his notebook. He closed his notebook and placed it on the table. They'd probably need it to navigate Lumiose anyway.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gad finished his dinner shortly after Liam left. Returning his two companions, he picked up his tray, disposed of whatever garbage was left to dispose of and left the tray where it was supposed to be left before clearing the diner wing.

The room he ended up with was numbered 21. This time the walls were white, the bedspreads were also white - with a singular horizontal band along the edge in red, yellow, green, blue and magenta - the colours of the five plazas of Lumiose. The room had much larger windows than its Coumarine counterpart, providing a lovely view of Centrico Plaza and the prism tower - with movable curtains to block out the city lights should they be a bother. Apparently this particular Pokémon center opted to forego city-iconic prints this time and relied on its proximity to Centrico Plaza to have a view that spoke for itself. Nevertheless, a small modern art piece hung on the wall - also centered around the colors of the five plazas - probably trying to make a statement about Lumiose and the Arts. He didn't find it particularly impressive, personally - but the view more than made up for it.

Surprisingly enough, he wasn't feeling all that tired - His legs certainly were after all that walking and the dinner break, though restful, was still not enough to let them fully recover - but his mind was active in a way that was certainly not conducive to sleep. After taking a quick shower to clear all the badlands-dust, feeding his day-clothes to the washer-dryer and a change to night-clothes, he proceeded to kick back on the bed with his tablet. Liam's capture of a Trapinch earlier inspired him to draw the creature's final form, Flygon. Flygons were graceful, nimble green draconic creatures that still maintained multiple traits that made them resemble arthropods - the lens-like casings covering their eyes (an adaptation for protecting said eyes from the frequent sandstorms of their natural habitats), the antenna-like organs on their heads and their semi-translucent wings, which resembled and functioned a lot more like those of Bug-types than those of other dragons.

True to the creatures's sandy habitats, he situated the one he was drawing against one of the rocky slopes of the badlands they travelled through today, overlooking the view with a storm brewing in the distance. He found himself coloring the sketch, but after setting down the base colors and a few layers of shading and toning, a quick glance to the clock confirmed that now would probably be a good time to stop if he wanted to get enough sleep. He'd have to continue this later - the thing was shaping up quite nicely. Shutting down the art program, he proceeded to check his email and browse the internet for a bit until his eyes would get tired enough to actually sleep. A news article about the freak storm over the power plant caught his eye - it was apparently not a natural phenomenon, but the result of a rampaging, powerful Electric-type that caused some degree of damage to the plant before being subdued through the efforts of a security team. The other power plants covered the disruptions to the grid while the attack happened, but the exact cause of the rampage and the full extent of the damage were still being investigated. There was 'more to come' on this, but Gad figured that this could wait until he got some recharge time. His tablet certainly started needed some recharge time too.

~*~

In his dream, he was running through a dark tunnel. Luminous, quasi-translucent things gliding smoothly against the walls were the only source of light. The air was filled with just-audible whispers and he could not help but be aware of his breathing and his heartbeat. Occasionally some of the things on the walls flashed brighter, a clear crystalline tone followed by an eerie resonance piercing the silence as other things faded to black. He tried to understand what were the whispering voices saying, but he couldn't quite make it out - he just knew that he had to keep running and follow the lights.

The deeper he ran into the tunnel, the louder the whispers grew - but that did nothing to make them comprehensible. It wasn't any language that made sense to him - and somehow, he knew the flashes of light and the tones that followed them was a key to the whispers - could this have been some sort of code? And if so, for what?

How long will he have to keep running until any of it became clear?

It was then that his foot found the rock - and he tripped into nothingness. The ground gave way into a deep chasm - and all around it, from tunnels not unlike the one he ran through, the luminous things were pouring into it in droves. He reached for Zorya's Pokéball, but it was as though everything seemed to be moving in slow motion - everything save for the things on the walls, streams of flashing light spiralling faster and faster into the depths. Something was down there, looking at him - or through him - through a compound lens, a million eyes suddenly shifting their focus inwards as one, a million points of light coalescing together...

He opened his mouth to call out but no words came out, only a string of crystalline tones.

There was an eerie resonance as the things on the walls responded with their own.

Then the thing in the depths responded - a deep, ancient and overwhelming bass note that seemed to burn in his mind and pulse through every cell in his body, a wave of radiance following in its wake, enveloping him from every direction...

And the world shattered into a fractal of light and color.

~*~

He snapped awake with a gasp, taking a few moments to right his breathing. He reached for the mobile communications device that he placed on the nightstand, squinting as his eyes took a few moments to adjust to the brightness of the clock digits. 3:59 - definitely no time to be awake. With a groan, he turned the device's screen off, re-placed it on the nightstand and laid back down. The dream replayed through his mind a few times - he could still almost-feel the phantoms of the pulse that hit him before he woke up. Sometimes he really wished his subconscious mind wasn't so bloody vivid. He briefly wondered what possible meaning could this sort of dream even have and what inspired it. For a few moments he amused himself with making up absurd conspiracy theories about some kind of mind-hijacking transmission from Prism Tower amplified by the nearby power plants' electromagnetic emanations and even more outlandish derivatives thereof until his body calmed itself enough for sleep to reassert itself.

Gad Van Lierre fell back asleep, pondering whether or not the biometallic exuvia of Scizors could make a decent tinfoil hat.

~*~

When he woke up again the time was 7:18. MUCH more reasonable. With a quick morning routine of shower, getting dressed (black jeans, dark blue shirt with a lighter blue circuit-Galvantula motif, a black bandanna with a similar circuit pattern and his jacket) and repacking whatever he removed from his backpack the night before, he left the room and headed for the diner wing, dropping the room key off with the nurse before he did so.

This time he opted for some Brioche, a small bowl of yogurt, a few berries and a rather large cup of coffee for himself and some form of leafy salad and sausage for his Pokémon - and turned his gaze to look for Liam, or - if he wasn't there yet - an empty table. He vaguely wondered about the news from yesterday - for once, part of him wished the Pokémon centers in Kalos did the Unova thing and had at least SOME form of news screen, though this was not something he'd admit out loud. Oh well, he'd have to check his mobile communication device later. That had a news channel somewhere in it.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea felt like she had only just passed out when the alarm on her Holo Caster went off suddenly went off. Groaning loudly, she struggled to reach for it until she realized she had left it charging in the restroom just to force herself to get up. Io and Aeolian had woken up as well, and though they still seemed tired from last night's trek, they had enough energy to snappily chirp at her to turn the damn alarm off. Annoyed, she shuffled out of bed and half-walked, half-crawled to the annoying sound emanating across the room. Seriously, why did she choose the sound of trumpets to wake her up?

As she groggily went through her usual morning routine, she was vaguely aware of her two Vivillon keeping a fair distance from each other. As the fog of sleep slowly lifted from her head, she began paying closer attention to them, until the Pokemon finally, as if on some sort of secret cue, began attacking each other straight on. Though her mouth full of toothpaste, the girl still ran out of the restroom and waved her arms wildly at her Pokemon, forcing them away from each other. Her skin tingled slightly from the Stun Spore Io had decided to only partially abort using, and she stared at each Vivillon sternly. From an outsider, the view was probably kind of ridiculous: a girl glaring down at a pair of overly large butterflies, unable to speak thanks to the foam in her mouth. Despite all that, however, Io and Aeolian seemed to get the message as they flew off and settled, once more, on opposite sides of the room. Andrea sighed and went back to finish brushing her teeth.

"Seriously," she muttered as her mouth was finally cleared of toothpaste, "I'm not sure what's gotten into you two, but you're staying in your Pokeballs today." The two Vivillon began to argue with her about that, chirping angrily back at her. "No, seriously, if you're going to just cause more problems while we go see Mom today, you might as well stay in your Pokeballs." As her Pokemon continued chirping angrily at her, she said, "Besides, I know you're tired from yesterday. You guys might as well rest for the day."

As Io and Aeolian began quieting down, Andrea walked over to her backpack and took out their Pokeballs. She returned them into the spherical capsules before stuffing them back in and taking out a change of clothes in their place. She kept her usual dark green cardigan on but went for a nicer-looking blouse instead of the raggedy, sweaty t-shirt she wore the past two days. Since she was in the city, she might as well look at least somewhat presentable.

Quickly finishing the look with her hairband, Andrea admired herself in the mirror for a second. Well, she would've admired herself if it wasn't for the obviously dusty patches on her skirt and cardigan, and sighed. Might as well get the day started, then.

Picking up her backpack, Andrea left the room and made her way towards the dining area. A few of the trainers seemed to be conversing with each other, but otherwise most appeared to be by themselves. Suddenly feeling quite lonely, the girl took off her backpack and rummaged through it a little before pulling out a single Pokeball. A flash of light later, a pair of green wings fluttered down onto her shoulder, and Andrea pat the Vivillon lightly on the head. Lydia chirped happily in response, apparently happy to stretch her cramped wings.

Satisfied, Andrea looked around once more to decide what to eat. After a bit of thought, she decided that plain toast with grape jam would probably be best, and got a plate of that with a cup of orange juice. She settled down at a table next to some kid with an oddly gold Buizel, a Trapinch, and a Poochyena, and poured some of the orange juice into a bowl for Lydia. She took out her Holo Caster and decided to watch some news; Mom likely wasn't at work quite yet, so she'd have some time to spare for a bit.

Last edited:

Rex

Resident Furry
His Pokemon had nearly finished their food, and Liam was about halfway through his own breakfast, when he heard, more than saw, someone take a seat next to him.

"Oh hey Gad, I didn't-" He paused. He had been turning to look at the person next to him as he spoke, and had just realized that this person wasn't, in fact, the person he was waiting for. It was a girl, looked to be around his age, with a strange Pokemon he'd never seen before. It reminded him somewhat of Beautifly, a Pokemon that lived in both his native Hoenn and Sinnoh, where he grew up, only it had a gray body and green wings, and without a proboscis. "Er, sorry, I thought you were someone else."

He slid down a few seats from the girl, embarrassed, and glanced at his own Pokemon. Richard was eating contentedly, but both Vector and Enrico had stopped. The Poochyena seemed to be sizing up the girl, as if deciding if she might be a threat. The Trapinch seemed more interested in her Pokemon, and with a slight shiver the boy remembered that until just yesterday Enrico was a wild Pokemon, who likely was more used to catching live prey.

"Guys, please," he whispered to the two Pokemon, before glancing around the cafeteria. There, Gad caught his eye, "Hey, over here!" He waved to the older trainer, who seemed to be looking for him.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Hearing Liam's voice, Gad's sweep of the center found its target - the younger trainer was sat at one of the tables with his three team members, breakfast seeming almost half eaten by that point. And there was someone else too - a girl that seemed oddly familiar to Gad. The butterfly Pokémon that fluttered around her - a Vivillon, its wings green with a few patterns of red squares which he recognized as the Garden Pattern - made his mind make the connection. It was that girl he was briefly in Coumarine the other day, surrounded by a veritable flock of the creatures, different patterns each. Gad appreciated the diversity of the species from a biological perspective - but he certainly felt there was such a thing as liking a species too much.

"'Morning, Liam. Making new friends, I see." he smirked as he sat down and placed his tray on the table. Zorya and Synalpheus were promptly let out from their Pokéballs, receiving their meals after a round of quick greetings between their trainer, themselves, and Liam's Pokémon.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea looked up when she heard the boy next to her begin talking; she hadn't really been paying much attention to his words, but whatever he did say to her seemed to have made him embarrassed. Before she could respond, another trainer, this one older than her, took a seat at the table with them. Apparently, the two of them seemed to be acquainted with each other already, and Andrea found herself feeling a little lonely again.

"Ah, I didn't mean to bother you guys," Andrea stated. She glanced at their Pokemon, noticing the somewhat hostile expressions on the Trapinch and Poochyena the younger trainer owned. "I-I guess I'll leave, if it helps?" Andrea looked at Lydia for reassurance, but the Vivillon was busy cowering into her backpack. Great, that certainly didn't help matters at all. The girl began to get up to move away, only to notice that the dining area was getting more and more crowded, and empty tables didn't seem to exist. Well, it was Lumiose City, after all. Settling back down at the table, she muttered, "Actually, is it okay if I sit with you guys? I'll just... watch some news over here, I guess."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"It's a public 'center." Gad shrugged with a smile. "You can sit wherever you want."

He heard the girl mumble something about the news - and that reminded him of something.

"Oh, Liam, remember that storm we saw on the badlands yesterday? Turns out, it wasn't natural. Something about a rampaging electric-type? Must have been one hell of a Pokémon to affect the weather that heavily."

Rex

Resident Furry
"Er, yeah, don't leave on our account," Liam assured. He shot his Pokemon a glance that quickly got Vector to stop staring the girl down. Enrico took a bit longer to respond, likely still trying to test Liam's limits, but the Trapinch, too, eventually let the girl drop from his attention once he realized that Richard and Vector would not be saving any scraps for him.

That done, Liam was able to turn his attention back to Gad. "Really? I thought that storm seemed odd. Doesn't look like the power was too heavily effected, thankfully." Still, the amount of power a Pokemon had to have to run a storm that large for that long. Liam was starting to understand why his mother had always been so apprehensive about Pokemon. He refused to have second thoughts, though. He hadn't come all the way to Kalos to turn around now.

"So after we meet Professor Sycamore, traveling down to Santalune shouldn't be too much trouble," Liam smiled, "It's a paved road, well traveled. There's a Gym Leader there, too, and she trains Bug Type Pokemon, like your Larvesta!"

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
"You guys saw the storm too?" Andrea asked, suddenly distracted from not watching the news. She thought back to the other day and how both of her Vivillon she had out were acting strangely. If these people had saw the storm, they likely also came through the badlands, though she didn't remember passing by anyone else on her way to Lumiose. Still, she left rather late and arrived in the middle of the night, so it was only natural she didn't see any other trainers. The mention of Santalune reminded her that she needed to meet up with her mother before going back home, for whatever reason. She was probably going to be there in fifteen minutes or so, Andrea guessed. Biking from Santalune to Lumiose didn't take too long, either.

"I'm pretty sure Lumiose has a gym as well, if you're going for all the badges," Andrea piped up. "Though I wouldn't challenge him myself, all I have are Vivillon." Lydia chirped up next to her in response to that. "I like the Santalune leader, she used to come to class when I was still in school and talk to us about battling. She has a really pretty Meadow-patterned Vivillon," she continued, a little more fervently than before. She stared off into the distance for a bit, remembering how much she admired the gym leader of her city, only to have her attention redirected again by Lydia gently nudging her hand. Petting the Vivillon somewhat absentmindedly, she said, "I can take you guys to the lab, if you want? I have to stop by the boutique for a bit, though, if you don't mind. Mom apparently needs me for something."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
"Yeah, I know about Santalune's gym leader." Gad nodded at Liam "Rather looking forward to meeting her, actually."
Apparently the mention of gyms triggered something in the butterfly girl's head and she chimed in about the local gym leader, about the Santalune gym leader's Vivillon (why was he not surprised) and about the lab. Gad has heard about the stereotype of crazy cat ladies, but it suddenly dawned on him that to some people, butterflies counted as cats.

She then suggested to take them to the lab, pointing out her mother apparently working on a Boutique along the way. A local? Then again, from her words about Santalune's gym leader, it suggested that she was actually from Santalune - maybe the family moved? Or maybe her mother just worked in Lumiose. Wouldn't be surprising, really.

"I seem to vaguely recall the lab should be fairly easy to find, but I appreciate the offer." He nodded.

A thought crossed his mind for a moment, he seemed to mull it over, shrug, and finally express it.

"Out of curiosity - since you sound like you're from Santalune and I couldn't help but notice all the Vivillons... You wouldn't happen to know a certain Dr. Stéphane Chastain, would you? He's a colleague of my father's, they're collaborating on a certain study of Vivillon wing patterns."

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea blinked in surprise when one of the two strangers casually brought up her dad's name. At first she felt apprehensive and had a sudden urge to get away from them as quickly as she could, but when the guy explained that his father was also working in the field and was even working together with her father, she relaxed a bit. "Yeah, Papa's really into his research and likes to bring home a lot of Scatterbug eggs to hatch. I personally raised the bunch I have with me, though all their training was taken care of by him and my brother, before he moved." Andrea stared at the man, trying to see if she could pin a name to him, but to no avail. She never went particularly deep into her dad's line of work, anyways.

Lydia once again nudged her wrist slightly, getting Andrea's attention. She pointed to her trainer and then to the two others at the table. Ah, right. "Uh, my name's Andrea, by the way. It's nice to meet you."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Huh. She was actually related to him. That was unexpected. She also seemed to be easily distracted - somehow Gad had the sneaky suspicion that if not for her Pokemon companions, the girl would have probably forgotten to breathe. He wasn't quite sure why she was staring at him - possibly trying to figure out any resemblances to anyone she may have seen her father in contact with? Either way, introductions were in order.

"Nice to meet you too, Andrea. Name's Gad. Van Lierre, if that rings any bells. These two are Zorya and Synalpheus." Gad nodded in greeting, with a smile, and gestured in the general direction of the Larvesta and Clauncher.

He figured he'd allow Liam to introduce himself on his own.

Rex

Resident Furry
"I'm not really up for that whole collect-a-thon, to be honest," Liam grinned. The badges certainly weren't why he was in Kalos, at least. However, "I might try a pick up a few here and there though, to see how strong my team is getting."

The girl, who had by now made herself a part of the conversation, next offered to take them to the lab, though she had to stop at a store on the way there. This wasn't entirely necessary, Liam had marked down all the important locations in Lumiose the maps he had referenced pointed out, and he was fairly certain Sycamore's lab was among them. Still, Gad seemed to assent to the girl coming along, and Liam himself wasn't too terribly fussed about it.

What's more, Gad seemed to know the girl's father, who was working with Gad's own father on something related to the many unique Vivillons, as they were called, that Kalos possessed. "Wow, small world," Liam couldn't help but remark. With her Pokemon's prodding, the girl finally introduced herself as Andrea, which would likely make her Andrea Chastain, given her father's name.

"I'm Liam Thompson," the boy said when it became his turn to do introductions. "These are Richard, Vector, and Enrico," he pointed to each Pokemon in turn. Speaking of which, his Pokemon had just finished their breakfast, which meant it was probably time for Liam to polish off his own. They had a big day ahead of them, after all!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
<Guh, Filler. But someone had to post and since Shiny feels like he has nothing to say, sequence break time.>

Now that introductions were exchanged, Gad could actually take the time to attack his breakfast... and more importantly, apply a direct infusion of caffeine into his systems. Too much blood in your caffeine stream cannot possibly be good for you, after all.

Once he finally got around to eating it, he found his breakfast quite pleasant. The brioche was pretty good, the berries were fresh and juicy and blended in rather nicely with the yogurt - which, as he was more than a little amused to notice upon closer inspection, bore the logo of the Baa de Mer ranch alongside the Pokéball branding of the Pokémon Center. Seems the neighbors had a distribution deal with the Center network - and part of him couldn't help but wonder how they were keeping up with demand. Oh well - Gogoat or Go Home, eh?

And speaking of going, they probably should be doing just that. The most straightforward path to Sycamore's lab would take them to Centrico Plaza and then straight down the length of Vernal Avenue - but he wasn't entirely certain about the path they would be taking if Andrea had to take a detour, and how long said detour would take. Not that he was in a rush, but if they had any hope of reaching Santalune and not burn the entire day today, meeting the professor at their earliest convenience would probably be a wise idea.

Having finished his breakfast and seeing how his companions have as well. He returned Zorya and Synalpheus to their balls. and finally stood up, picking up his tray and disposing of it at the appropriate place, before returning to the table.

"Shall we, then?"

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
((Bit of autoing to get everyone going, with permission from Rex and Stel. Also, awkward stopping place but if I kept going it would've made my post ridiculously long x-x))

Gad... Van Lierre? The name did ring a bell, but she couldn't quite recall anything significant attached to it. The other trainer introduced himself as Liam. Andrea repeated the names to herself a couple of times to make sure she remembered them.

Andrea watched as Gad and Liam went back to their breakfasts before realizing she hadn't even touched her own food yet. She took a bite of her toast, savoring the flavor of jam and bread mixing on her tongue. Not the most exquisite breakfast she'd ever had, but it should be enough to fill her stomach until lunch. Lydia had long finished her own meal and was contently resting on Andrea's head like some sort of strange green hat.

When everyone was done and thrown their trash away, Andrea decided it was about time they got moving. She didn't want to get back home too late, after all, and the meeting with mother shouldn't take too long either. After making sure she had everything with her (Lydia chirped at her a couple times when she nearly forgot her Holo Caster on the table), the girl got up and led the group out of the Center.

The quickest way to the Boutique, and then the lab, was probably through Centrico Plaza and straight down Vernal Avenue, but it was getting so crowded that Andrea had half a mind to go through the smaller streets and the alleyways. Then she remembered the last time she tried doing that, she'd gotten lost and somehow wound up in some odd cafe where everyone was talking about rollerskates. Right, Centrico it is. Andrea carefully made her way through the crowd of people, making sure not to lose her companions, before arriving at the edge of the plaza. A few trainers seemed to be lined up outside Prism Tower, almost definitely to battle Clemont for a badge. Nobody in the group appeared to be interested in challenging the gym, though, so they continued onward towards Vernal.

When they finally arrived at the Boutique, Andrea turned to Gad and Liam. "Well, we're here. You can come in if you want, the store's open, after all," she said. Pointing to the building at the end of the street, she continued, "The lab's right there, but I don't think Mom's going to keep me here for too long." Not quite waiting for their response, the girl turned around and stepped into the building.

Running's not so bad. Going through a swamp? Eh, could be worse. Running through a swamp? About as easy as it sounds. The marsh got thicker the farther Jesse went, and it wasn't until he had spent far more time running than was necessary did he realize that just getting out of that creepy abandoned shack would have been good enough. But a flight-or-fight response heavily in favor of flight doesn't believe in such arguments. Didn't help that Kamino seemed to be enjoying himself the whole way, almost as if he thought it were some kind of game.

After finally leaving the swamps behind, Jesse stowed his waders away and plopped down under a nearby tree to catch his breath. The journey through Route 14 had been...eventful, to say the least, and Lumiose City was only a short distance away at this point. As he stood up, he stretched and looked up - it was nice to be able to see the sky again, and it was certainly a pretty day. Some storm clouds were forming a ways off, but it probably wasn't anything to worry about.

Rested and ready, Jesse continued on towards Lumiose City with his ever-faithful Froakie companion on a relatively normal rest of the journey. When he entered through the gate, the sheer size of the city became immediately apparent from how many people were visible in just the first fifty feet or so - enough to qualify as a sea of people. The sun was already beginning to set as he made his way towards the northern Pokemon Center to check in for the night.

Jesse acquired a room key from the nurse, then headed over to the dining area. All that running had built up quite an appetite. An order of steak-frites for himself and some... whatever it was for Kamino later, their full stomachs soon found themselves crashing fairly quickly onto the bed of room 19, falling off into a deep slumber....

---

Which was then very rudely interrupted by a blaring alarm. Jesse frantically attempted to turn off his holo caster, eventually subduing the cruel thing and bringing the sweet relief of silence back into his world. With a grumpy sigh he got up and headed towards the shower, mostly angry at himself for not having changed his alarm to a later time.

Now sporting some trendier clothes for the big city: a pale aqua shirt button-up that was unbuttoned with sleeves rolled up to the elbows, revealing a dark blue and white striped shirt underneath, finished with the gray checkered pants he had bought on his last visit here. With a mutual nod, Kamino returned to his PokeBall and was holstered to Jesse's belt. He slung his bag over his shoulders and headed out.

He glanced at his holo caster and saw he still had some time before his meeting with Professor Sycamore, so he decided to hit up the art gallery at the Lumiose Museum beforehand to kill some time. Not too long now.

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam followed Gad's lead, disposing of his and his Pokemon's trays, before returning Vector and Enrico to their Pokeballs. After a moment of thought, he also returned Richard to his own. Lumiose was a big city, and the trainer didn't want anything to happen to the eye-catching Buizel.

His decision was very quickly justified. The streets of Lumiose were crowded. Liam couldn't help but remember stories he'd heard of Castelia City. He wondered how the two cities compared. There was also a clump of people waiting to enter what Liam could only assume to be the Gym, based on its location in comparison to his maps, though it was much more extravagant than the one in Eterna City. The Coumarine Gym, as well, had been built into the mountainside, rather than be a standalone building. Liam wondered if all the Kalos Gyms were this unique.

Before too long, the three Trainers had made it to the clothing store where the girl's mother worked. Andrea excused herself, pointing out the lab at the end of the street, and entering the building. Liam watched her go, then turned to Gad.

"Kind of an odd girl," he remarked. Her Pokemon seemed to chaperone her much more than she did them. It reminded him of Vector, in a way. Only where the Poochyena was an overprotective parent, Andrea's Vivillon seemed to remind her to perform more basic tasks: Share her name, not to forget her things, be sociable.

"So your dad and her dad work together, huh?" Liam asked, rather than explain to Gad the reasoning he had already told himself in his head as to why Andrea was weird. "Pretty crazy you two would run into each other here." He looked down the road to where the lab was, then back to Gad again. "So does the Professor just allow anyone to drop in whenever, or do you have to set up an appointment?"

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The walk was fairly uneventful and followed the path Gad expected - from Magenta Plaza, to Centrico, down Vernal Avenue. It was not very long before Andrea shuffled off into the boutique her mother worked in. He wasn't much for shopping personally and already had enough changes of clothes packed so there wouldn't be much of a point to drop in, as far as he was concerned.

"Kind of an odd girl," he heard Liam remark, once Andrea was out of earshot.

"Takes all sorts, I guess." Gad shrugged. A person was entitled to a few eccentricities, after all. Some people lived their entire lives in their rooms with only plushies for company, instantly imitating the appearances and voices of anyone else they met. Some people kept flocks of Wingulls in their house. Some people gathered together in buildings, facing a stained glass window set in the direction of Mount Coronet and praising vague mythical figures that may or may not have been Legendary Pokémon. Clearly, some people were also shepherded through life by swarms of butterflies. Ah well, as long as the girl found her equilibrium.

Liam seemed to have little else to say about the girl - aside from pointing out the strange coincidence of encountering the daughter of a colleague of his father's at random. It was surprising, to be honest - Gad did not even know Dr. Stéphane Chastain had a daughter. Although, if he was to be perfectly honest with himself, he knew very little of the doctor, aside from his field of research - Whatever few conversations he had with the man as part of his status as occasional assistant to his father were nothing but professional. He briefly wondered whether or not their path through the Santalune Forest would take them through the research station - when Liam interjected again, with a question about a whole different scientist.

"So does the Professor just allow anyone to drop in whenever, or do you have to set up an appointment?"

"Sycamore's a bit infamous in the community for his open door policy." Gad smirked in response "See, most of the other regional professors are fairly busy people. They usually have a set day in a week for starting off new trainers on their journeys, or set meetings by appointment. Sycamore? Not so much. He just takes on visitors whenever they drop in."

He paused, eyes shifting briefly.

"I don't know much about his field of research, to be honest, but I have my suspicions that if he has that much spare time, it's probably not particularly busy. Either that or his assistants are working overtime and not getting enough of the credit."

Rex

Resident Furry
Gad's description of Professor Sycamore was, in fact, the exact opposite of what Liam had imagined. The Trainer had seen Professor Rowan on TV from time to time while he lived in Sinnoh, who had always come across as a severe, no-nonsense sort of man. Sycamore by contrast sounded lighter, more easygoing. The boy was conflicted about how that made him feel. On one hand, he certainly sounded easier to talk to, and much less intimidating. On the other, the fact that Sycamore wouldn't be living up to the image of a Professor in Liam's head was a bit... Disappointing.

On the more immediate task of waiting for Andrea, Liam found himself getting antsy. The minutes ticked by, until it felt like they surely must be getting close to a half an hour of waiting around. The last thing Liam wanted was to get caught up in Lumiose for longer than necessary. They still needed to visit the Professor, and who knew how long that would take. The Trainer was hoping to make it to Santalune before nightfall. Not to mention, he had his own quest to think about: if he didn't hurry along to Anistar, would he miss the doctor?

"Do you think something came up?" Liam asked, finally. "Maybe we should move on, she did point out the lab to us. I can write her a note, thanking her for her help."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Jesus fucking christ on a velociraptor. The amount of pages full of dead and garbage RPs I had to wade through to find this thread again borders on fantastic. Time to kick Kalos in the teeth. Now wwhere wwere wwe? Oh right. In the pit of despair that is Lumiose City. Cue Death by Glamour!

Gad could not deny that he was a bit torn about the response. On one hand it felt like it would be rude to just ditch a traveling companion (albeit an impromptu one like Andrea) due to circumstances that weren't necessarily under her control. On the other hand, Kalos was a big region and the sooner they got a move on and out of Lumiose, the better - especially considering the fact that he would have to come back anyway eventually. He mulled it over for a short while, shooting a glance to the boutique. No sign of the girl or her butterfly swarm. There was only so long they could wait.

"Yeah, I think that it's probably best we got a move on, honestly." he finally shrugged "Something tells me we'll run into her again later. For now, we should probably go see the professor."

~*~

Professor Sycamore's laboratory was a very large, ostentatious looking three-story manor with many arched windows, surrounded by perfectly-manicured lawn and well-tended trees. At the end of a broad path, a small flight of marble stairs led up to a formidable arched doorway - notably open and welcoming in a way one would not expect from a house of this sort. The grounds were surrounded by a tall fence of carved stone and bronze, its gateposts tipped with large glass Pokéballs that probably served as lamps at night. The large bronze gates were closed - but a doorbell/intercom system artistically integrated into the gateposts was clearly indicated as the way to remedy that.

They say that you can tell a lot about a Professor by the shape of their laboratory - and if this were true, then clearly Sycamore was a man who cared greatly about appearances.

Gad pushed the doorbell button - the rich resonant sound of bronze bells playing for a moment (synthesized, he noted - for the benefit of the ringer more than anything else), followed shortly by a pleasant female voice chiming in with "Prof. Augustine Sycamore's Laboratory, may we help you?"

"Er, Hello. We're trainers, here for a Pokédex." Gad replied.

"Oh, certainly! Come in and proceed to the foyer, the Professor will be with you shortly." the voice responded - and with the sound of a latch being unlocked and the faint hum of an electric motor, the great bronze gates swung open - inwardly, by way of invitation. Something about the entire display made Gad raise an eyebrow, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

But he did as requested, anyway.

~*~

The foyer of the Laboratory was as ostentatious and lavish as the exterior - painted marble-tile floors, gold-trimmed deep blue walls with works of art featuring Pokémon prominently on display, designer furniture in the sitting/waiting area, well-groomed houseplants and a fairly impressive-looking glass elevator that seemed to be the primary manner of getting between the laboratory's floors. From behind an equally impressive-looking receptionist's desk, a blond receptionist with nearly model-like looks - the owner of the pleasant voice from the intercom, surely - smiled at the two trainers.

"Welcome. Please take a seat, if you wish." she said, gesturing at the waiting area couches "Professor Sycamore will be down in a moment."

Before the trainers had the chance to move, though, a soft "ding" sound pierced the air as the door to the glass elevator opened - and out stepped a tall, thin man clad in a blue, buttoned-up pop-collared shirt, dark skinny jeans and a long open lab coat. His features were chiseled, his eyes were steel-blue, his hair had the magazine-perfect sort of swish, and his cheeks and chin had a slight stubble - the sort of 'casual, effortless' look that one could only assume by putting excessive effort into. He walked with broad, swanning strides - and if the world had a theme music, Gad thought, this is where it would have changed into something appropriately fabulous.

"Ahh, welcome to my laboratory, trainers!" he said, rich baritone voice oozing with confidence "My name is Professor Augustine Sycamore, and here, in these magnificent halls, I study the mysteries of Pokémon evolution... and the even-greater mysteries of the powers that go beyond evolution."

An almost conspiratory tone, followed by a pause for effect. Sycamore had a flair for the theatrical, for certain - and just the right level of natural charisma and animated body language to make it appear natural rather than rehearsed.

"Alors, I've been informed by mon chere Mademoiselle Noémie" - the professor turned his gaze to the receptionist and nodded at her, a small smirk sneaking onto his face when the receptionist in question blushed and suddenly appeared very preoccupied with her computer monitor to conceal said blush "That you two are here to acquire a PokéDex! Fantastique! Nothing gives me greater pleasure than bestowing the gift of knowledge upon traveling trainers. Aside from the occasional battle, of course - though I confess, those are more of a casual hobby than a serious practice for yours truly. One can only engaged in so many passions, after all! But pardon, I've taken enough of your time talking about myself. Now then, trainers, what may your names be?"

"My name's Gad, and this is Liam." the trainer replied - and even though he knew that this is exactly where the Professor was steering the conversation and he hated himself a bit for it, curiosity got the better of him. "I'm sorry, but you said beyond evolution. I don't suppose you mean Mega Evolution, do you?"

"Ohohoh! so you've heard of Mega Evolution before?" the Professor grinned brighter, seemingly pleased "Oui. Mega Evolution... it is somewhat of my facility's spécialité, if you will - but our research has expanded somewhat over the years to include similar yet different forms of evolution. The so-called battle bond phenomenon, what precious little data exists on primal reversion, the works. I would be delighted to take you on a tour of the research floor, if any of this is of interest! I keep the PokéDexes there anyway, so it shall really be no trouble at all. You may even learn some new things! What say you?"

"What do you think, Liam?" Gad turned to the other trainer "Personally, I'd like to hear more about this."

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam nodded. He hated to leave the girl behind so suddenly, but they really did have to get a move on. He quickly opened his notebook, flipping to a fresh page and writing a quick thank you note to the girl - "We went on to the lab, thanks for your help, hope to see you again" - that sort of thing. He slid this under the door, thinking it'd be rather awkward for him to simply walk in and hand it to someone, then followed after Gad to the professor's lab.

The building stood out, looking more like the home of a minor noble than a laboratory. Liam felt his jaw drop as he looked up at a three story mansion, barred off from the rest of Lumiose by a tall wall and impressive looking gate. Here, in the biggest city in the region, the building was a far cry from the quaint little lab in Sandgem that the Trainer had occasionally seen Professor Rowan giving a lecture from. If Sycamore was trying to make a statement, he certainly succeeded.

Gad did most of the talking while the Liam picked up his jaw from the curb. They opened the gates rather readily to the two Pokedex seeking Trainers, and Liam was suddenly reminded of a certain industrialist and his factory. Those memories were dashed when the entered the - equally extravagant - foyer of the building and were greeted by the Professor. Sycamore was a slick looking sort, lacking the personal charm of the man the Trainer had been picturing. A sad remake that couldn't live up to the potential.

Even though his field of study - Pokemon evolution - was the same thing Rowan studied, Sycamore was nothing like his counterpart in Sinnoh. Rowan was a severe, and serious, older gentlemen, who carried with him an air that could frighten men twice his size into complacency. Sycamore seemed like a harmless dandy who probably spent more time with his nose buried in a compact than he did research papers.

The Trainer supposed that was a bit unfair. The Professor could spit technobabble with the best of them, at least giving him the appearance of a man who knew he was doing. Gad seemed to be able to keep up, but Liam was immediately washed away by the tidal waves of terms he did not recognize. He found himself wondering if that was the point of the little monologue. The older Trainer brought Liam back, asking his opinion on something. Sycamore had offered them a tour of his lab - oh sweet Arceus he had more to say? - and Gad was interested.

"Sure, sounds like fun," Liam put on a brave face. This would take a while.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: WIIIIIIIIISE. WIIIIIIIIIIIISE FWOM YOUW GWAAAAAAAVE! Yes, I know, this took me a metric fuckload of time to respond to, but now it's back and with many new plot-affecting insights that would probably, eventually, maybe, kinda sorta make this RP's plotline end up even better than it was planned originally. Or maybe it'll turn into a three-headed mongoose. ONWARDS!

There was a slight shift in the professor's demeanor in response to Liam's answer - Clearly he noticed that the younger trainer, in spite of his attempt to conceal it behind a brave front, was unimpressed - and rapidly adapted to the situation - the casual scientist seemed to almost straighten up somewhat, almost as though assuming a certain sense of decorum that contrasted with his dramatic introduction.

"Ah, but I apologize." he said - bowing his head down for a second in a way of apology "Sometimes I forget myself when I welcome visitors to my laboratory. I am quite proud of this place, you see - but I shall attempt to contain my enthusiasm - or at least, save it for where it is warranted, non? Bien. Follow me, sil-vous-plait!"

~*~

As the elevator doors opened to the second floor of the facility, Gad found himself almost staring at the differences. Oh, the infrastructure was the same - the blue walls, the painted marble tiles, the marble pillars. But whereas the first floor was filled with fine art, the second floor was all business - schematics and blueprints and whiteboards hung on the walls, the space was smartly laid out with computer desks, devices connected to multitudes of monitors and organized work spaces. There were server rooms with restricted access, complex analytical equipment and contained-space scanners which could be adjusted to various settings. Research assistants in white lab coats were hard at work - and Sycamore greeted them with a brief wave.

"Welcome to the research floor." the scientist said, flicking a hand through his hair "This is where the magic happens! Or at the very least, the science. We have some of the most state-of-the-art analytic hardware and software currently available, and the finest team of researchers to put them into good use. There is quite a bit of data to go through from a myriad of sources - and yet more data comes in every day."

He motioned for the two trainers to follow as he stepped out of the elevator and walked a winding path between desks and apparatus. "Out of curiosity, you are not from this region, are you?" he said, an inquisitive expression on his face. "Mega Evolution is not, shall we say, well known outside of Kalos - how did you come to hear of it?"

"Through my father's line of work, actually." Gad replied, "He did some major research work on Beedrill populations in Hoenn - confirmed the presence of Yakovlev-Kimura sequences in their genome. Was a pretty big deal in the Meta-arthropodology field at the time, but that was a good few years ago."

"Ah, oui! 'Yakovlev-Kimura sequence-gated genomic regions in the Beedrill Line: a possible dormant evolutionary pathway', Van Lierre et al. You're Van Lierre's boy, then? I remember that article - fine work your father did there - a fascinating read! First time Yakovlev-Kimura sequences were comfirmed in such a common species, non?" the professor grinned in response - though was it due to actual interest or due to being able to cite the article to make a favorable impression, Gad was not sure. "And the catalyst for the process... comment ça s'appelle... Beedrillite, was not officially discovered at the time, oui?"

"Not back then, no - I heard they eventually found a few potential specimens, but by that point we've already moved on to the Chargestone Cave survey, and that was the last we've seen of anything with Yakovlev-Kimura sequences in a while. I don't suppose they ever figured out why no Unova-endemic species seem to have those?"

"You'll be surprised! Un moment, s'il vous plaît." the professor grinned brighter as he paused by a currently unmanned computer, logged on and loaded up a program with several open viewports, empty at that moment, and pointing at the monitor for the benefit of his guests "If you may look to the screen. This is a very recent discovery, mind, so what you are about to see is a projection based on partial data - one of my teams is still analyzing the rest - but it appears that that the search for Mega-Evolving species in Unova may have bore fruit at last - and from quite the unexpected source, if I may add!"

With a few brief points and clicks, the viewports filled up. There was a tree view, a view showing a long string of DNA, and a rotating 3D model, such as the one found in Pokédexes, of a bipedal creature - blue-eyed and covered in pink-and-cream fur, with strange large ears tipped with a curled tendril each. Gad recognized it in an instant - though the Professor was not one to assume his entire audience did.

"What you are looking at is Audino, the Hearing Pokémon. They can be found in small numbers all over Unova and are prized in the medical field for their diagnostic skills and their ability to heal injured Pokémon using a special energy pulse." the Professor nodded, moving his mouse cursor to the string of DNA and quickly issued a series of clicks and actions - highlighting a few specific segments while marking others as though they were programming commands. "Now these are Yakovlev-Kimura sequences - normally, they block the transcription and expression of the genomic regions that follow them. But should they be activated - and this takes a great deal of energy, mind - a process similar to evolution occurs - et... voilà!"

The professor hit a button and an animation took place as the program ran through lines of code - and the figure on the screen began to change - the creature on the screen growing slightly in size, its ears perking up, its fur growing longer and changing in color from muted pink to a brilliant white, while its blue eyes took on a red hue. By the time the process stopped the creature took on an almost angelic quality - and simulation or not, something about it seemed to radiate power.

"But it is not only the appearance that changes - non, Mega Evolution brings changes across the board. The Pokémon's power is boosted significantly, and sometimes, it may change its type and ability as well - this one in particular appears to take on traits of the Fairy-type alongside its regular Normal type. We are still working on quantifying the changes in its strengths and weaknesses - all we have at the moment is projections derived from second-hand data with a small population size, which makes the process a bit less... accurate than we would hope - but the fact this possibility exists... why, it may revolutionize the medical community!" the professor seemed to be truly excited now - but then, his expression shifted again, taking on a more sombre look.

"Or so it would have been, if the catalysts for this evolution were not so prohibitively rare..." he said "And if charging a Pokémon with the amount of energy required to express these genomic regions was not so dangerous. A Pokémon that is not prepared to contain so much power can experience a réaction très négative - it can be overwhelming, even after the energy source is removed and the changes brought upon by Mega Evolution to harness this power are re-absorbed into the Pokémon's body. Mega Evolution, alors, is a path that should not be walked into blindly nor carelessly - without a very skilled trainer who has a strong bond of trust with their Pokémon to share the neural load - to call the Pokémon back from being consumed by the power... why, the results could be catastrophique!"

The professor closed his eyes, clearly troubled by something for a moment, before shutting the program on the computer down, shaking his head and giving a half-smile. "Still, science marches on. Perhaps one day that bridge may be safely crossed as well. Well, no use standing around here - there is more of the research floor to see!"

~*~

With the two trainers in tow, the professor approached a few of the contained-space scanners, which appeared to hold palm-sized translucent crystals with a multicolored helical core that seemed to be glowing with its own inner power. Probes mounted on robotic tendrils revolved around the stones on occasion, transmitting data processed into a graph on a monitor by each unit, data from each stone marked in a different color and presenting an oscillating pattern rising and falling in their own unique frequency and amplitude.

"Mega Stones!" the professor nodded "These particular specimens were kindly loaned to us by the fine folks at the Devon Corporation of Hoenn - and we've been monitoring their energy readouts ever since they came here - trying to understand what connects each type of stone to the species that can harness its power to Mega Evolve. Of course, to truly release the amount of raw energy these stones contain, resonance with a Key Stone is required - and we have not been able to acquire a sample as of yet-"

"Professor Sycamore, sir?" said a meek voice suddenly, cutting off the scientist's words. The professor whipped his head in the direction of the voice - definitely for the hair sparkle, Gad thought - to find a young research assistant in a lab coat who proceeded to hand him a tablet. "Pardon the interruption, Professor, but we've concluded the investigation into the data from yesterday's incident - thought you might want to take a look."

"Ah, splendide. Merci beaucoup! Keep up the good work." the professor flashed the assistant a winning smile, and turned his eyes to survey the information on the tablet - brow furrowing as his eyes darted from row to row, the jovial expression that usually covered his face seeming to drain by the moment.

"As I feared." he murmured, turning his eyes back to the two trainers, all showmanship gone from his voice. "Medical data and testimonials from the Kalos Power Company's internal medical facilities. I don't suppose you've watched the news yesterday?"

"The freak storm at the power plant? We've actually seen it for ourselves when we crossed the badlands. From a distance, but still." Gad nodded "They said it was a rampaging Pokémon, but never said what it was."

"And they would not for a while." the Professor shook his head "It was the power of Mega Evolution at work, without proper control. It appears that our rampaging Pokémon was a Mega-evolved Ampharos gone wild, and that the security team that eventually contained it very nearly failed to do so, even with the advantages of numbers and types on their side."

"It was that powerful?" Gad blinked. Wild Pokémon could be powerful and fierce, but one Pokémon against multiple opponents, presumably trained specifically to handle them?

"The innate power of Mega Evolutions is great, but it was only one factor here. The creature was out of control and attempting to expel the excess energy running through it by any means necessary. But the location! Its body kept drawing more power from its environment the more power it tried to release. A loop." The professor nodded. "Au naturellement, the security team had protocol for an Electric Pokémon attack - a combined team of Electric-types with the Lightning Rod ability to siphon electric attacks into themselves and Ground-types with the capability to deal super-effective damage. Against any other electric-type, that might have proven more effective. But a Mega Evolution, and one which breaks the mold? The Electric-types were actually hurt by drawing so much electricity into themselves, and as for the Ground-types... Their injury profiles appear to consistent with Dragon-type moves."

He paused.

"Apparently, the thing was aglow with power - they could not tell what they were actually facing until they somehow knocked it out - and the Mega Evolution reverted itself. It was taken into the power plant's facilities to be treated, but apparently it is still yet to awaken. Its medical data shows some pretty extensive internal damage - it will take a while to recover, even with medical attention."

"Something doesn't add up here - where was the trainer in all this? Wild Pokémon don't just up and Mega Evolve naturally - and for that matter, what happened to the Mega Stone?" Gad tilted his head to the side - and the professor shrugged.

"This is where it becomes even more of a mystère - no tresspassing trainers were anywhere to be found in the area - though it is possible they fled the scene. As for the Ampharosite - why, it is right there." Sycamore motioned to one of the scanners - in which rested a white stone, its helical core a swirl of reds, oranges and yellows and its inner glow not quite as bright as that of the stones in the other scanners nearby. The oscillation pattern on this one seemed to be wild, almost random, prone to high energy spikes followed by a great deal of noise. The professor appeared puzzled for a moment, shooting a glance to a few other monitors before returning to this one.

"And something about this one is different from the others - far beyond the usual levels of variance. It may be because it has been used recently, but it is too early to say - and I have already taken up enough of your time. I believe it is time I presented you with what you came here for to begin with."

~*~

Finally, the professor took the two trainers to a fairly impressive wall-mounted cabinet - with impressive looking wooden paneling covering its doors - and placed a finger on a thumbprint lock nestled in the center of a Pokéball carving. The lock clicked and opened with a hiss, revealing a metallic interior lined with shelves, various tools meticulously arranged on them. From one of the shelves, the Professor fished out two rectangular devices. Each of the devices consisted of a glass touchscreen protected by a two-piece sliding cover with rounded edges, a Pokéball-frame-themed design etched into it.

"There you go - for you, Monsieur Gad. And you, Monsieur Liam." the Professor handed the devices to the trainers "Once you set it up for first use - register your trainer ID and configure whatever preferences you have for it, the works - all you have to do when you encounter a Pokémon you wish to learn more about is simply point the device at it and touch the button on the screen. The cover will open, the scanners will identify the Pokémon - et voilà! All the information you may need, at your fingertips. Simple, elegant, très effective. Now, then, do either of you have any questions before I send you off on your great adventure with your Pokémon and your new Pokédexes?"

Rex

Resident Furry
Liam had to admit, for all his foppish behavior, Sycamore’s lab was legitimately impressive. It was also filled with actual scientists doing actual science, something the boy was starting to doubt was true for the Professor himself. Sycamore certainly could talk the talk, and seemed to enjoy the sound of his own voice, but cut such a different figure from what Liam had grown up thinking a Pokemon Professional was like, it was hard to reconcile the man in front of him with the figure Rowan had created in Liam’s mind.

Liam mostly stayed silent while Sycamore and Gad discussed Mega Evolution. They were both clearly very knowledgeable in the subject, Liam actually felt a bit out of place. It surprised him how easy it was to feel like a third wheel on your own adventure, but the boy supposed this was what he signed up for when he decided to travel with an absolute nerd. The name “Yakovlev” sounded vaguely familiar, but the boy couldn’t place it.

Sycamore, on the other hand, was able to quote the exact title of a research paper in response to the name. Such a thing would obviously mean nothing to Liam, but it was apparently a paper Gad’s father had written. Beedrill was one of these Pokemon that could Mega Evolve, and the Yakovlev name was tied to that. On a whim, Liam pulled his notebook out of his bag and wrote “Yakovlev-Kimura Sequence” down in it. Perhaps later he would have a chance to do some research of his own.

He returned his notebook to his bag just as Sycamroe was about to show them some kind of animation. It showed a Pokemon, Audino, going though Mega Evolution. The end result was still identifiably Audino, but a very different looking one. It was strange, sort of a combination of an angel and a nurse, it didn’t look like it would be very powerful, but somehow Liam could feel that it was.

Sycamore soon distracted him with another strange thing about the Professor. Rowan was always so serious when he gave televised lectures. He kept a straight face; spoke evenly and in a level tone. Sycamore was all over the place, his face lit up when he described what this Mega Evolved Audino would mean for modern medicine, then his expression immediately darkened when he mentioned how hard it would be to accomplish. For a half second, Sycamore almost looked like a serious scientist. Then it was gone, and the man was back to showing off his workspace.

Sycamore next brought them to see a few rocks he identified as “mega stones,” apparently on loan from Devon. That was a name Liam recognized, any prospective trainer would. Devon made special Pokeballs, different from the base models made by Silph, and were also behind the PokeNav system. Why they would have Mega Stones, or be interested in Mega Evolution at all, Liam wasn’t quite so sure of. He didn’t get a chance to ask, either. Sycamore was soon interrupted by one of the actual scientists the man had working for him.

The man’s expression darkened again, and he asked them about the storm at the power plant the other day. Liam remembered it, a strange thing on the horizon that never seemed to move as the trainers made their way through the badlands. Apparently, it had been caused by a Mega Pokemon. Liam knew some Pokemon had moves that could create weather effects, Gad’s Larvesta had done so in their battle, but that storm seemed like orders of magnitude more powerful than a little sunshine.

Liam had a sinking feeling that the Professor was telling them things he shouldn’t, and might regret later. A Mega Pokemon gone out of control, without a trainer in sight, which had severely injured itself and others, some of this information hadn’t even been made public yet. Liam worried that they would be sworn to secrecy, and even if they weren’t, these facts would weigh on the boy for some time. His mother had been vehemently against either Liam or his brother getting into Pokemon training. It was only now started to hit Liam that she might have had a point, that these creatures were far more dangerous than their cute appearances suggested. And he’d so happily captured one yesterday that might have snapped his leg in half with its jaws due to the boy’s own carelessness.

Sycamore broke him out of his darkening thoughts by handing him a strange mechanical device. The man really was good for something, at least. Liam did not like the mental road he’d been traveling down. The trainer fumbled with the device, listening to the Professor’s explanation on how the Pokedex worked. It seemed simple enough, but there was one problem.

“I, uh, don’t have a Trainer ID,” Liam admitted sheepishly.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Slight auto here, approved by Rex. Gotta get this wagon moving!

Gad couldn't help but be somewhat surprised at this - with two Pokémon (well, three now) under Liam's belt, he did not expect the other trainer to be technically unlicensed. Normally, a trainer would be registered on the day they started their journey by either the regional professor that they received their starter Pokémon from - or should they receive their first Pokémon elsewhere and be located far from the regional laboratory, at the nearest Pokémon Center. He himself had his own Trainer ID for years now - ever since he hatched Zorya, really - and it never occurred to him that one could even be an active trainer without one. But then, to be fair, he didn't really know all that much about Liam's "backstory", as it were. There were probably reasons - maybe whatever brought him to Kalos was also what got him into Pokémon Training to begin with, and he simply hadn't gotten the chance to? Something to ask later, perhaps, if it ever came up. They have only been traveling together fairly briefly, after all, asking potentially-personal questions could be fairly rude.

The Professor, however, did not seem even remotely nonplussed by the revelation. He simply nodded, saying "Well, in that case, I will simply need to register one for you. You'll need one should you catch more than six Pokémon and need access to the PC storage system, or if you wish to challenge the league and its gyms. This won't take too long - I'll just need to ask you a few quick questions..."

~*~

While the professor and Liam were busy with the process of registering a new trainer ID, Gad took the time to initialize his Pokédex to get a feel for the interface. The interface in question was very user-friendly - not surprising, considering many trainers started their journey very young - and while the device was designed to automatically search for species by means of a scan, any entry could be accessed at any time through search by numerous categories. In addition to the ample information housed within, the device also seemed to have an ID-linked tracker of sorts for species of Pokémon seen (or rather, scanned - though one could manually mark species that have been seen but not scanned using that particular device) and species caught. This was a fairly standard feature of the Pokédexes, regardless of region - a holdover from their origins as scientific research and cataloguing tools - and occasionally used by those few trainers who actively sought to "catch them all". He could never stand that sort of mentality - these were living creatures, not items on a checklist to be collected. Besides, with new species being discovered practically every day - and some species whose very existence was dubious outside of myth and legend - it was literally an impossible task. But completionists were everywhere, he guessed - and he wonder how many of these fools met unfortunate fates trying.

No, he'd have much preferred raising a small team of close allies that he could trust with his life and work with effectively. It only made sense.

And speaking of close allies, he would need to find the time to familiarize himself with Synalpheus' capabilities in battle. A few ideas came to mind while he perused Clauncher's entry, but he would have to find the time - and potential sparring partners - to test them. For that matter, he would need to think about how to approach the next gym leader he planned to face. He has heard quite a bit about Viola - including two mainstays of her team, a Surskit and a Vivillon. His vague plan involved sending Synalpheus out against Surskit, leaving Zorya to contend with the Vivillon - which he heard was the greater threat. That said, it would be remiss of him to assume that this would make the battle much easier. Vivillon, after all, were a species that a Fire-type in particular had to stay on its toes around - or chance an explosive defeat.

But that was all the time he had for reveries - Liam and the professor returned, trainer ID registered and Pokédex initialized - and the time has come for them to go on.

~*~

The glass elevator's doors opened and the two trainers emerged, with the professor in tow. Back on the first floor,

"Well, then." he said, taking a slight bow "It has been a pleasure - and I hope that you have a good journey here in Kalos, full of new experiences! But now, I must return to my work. Au revoir, trainers, and bonne chance!"

And with that said, he returned to the elevator, nodding as the doors closed behind him and the thing ascended back to the research floor.

"... So, that was a thing." Gad nodded. "But we've got our 'dexes. I guess it's on to the next city?"

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea waved at her mother before leaving the boutique, her pockets feeling a little emptier as she walked out. Though, that was probably because she was now carrying a fairly large, tightly-packed backpack on her back, along with a small stack of hats and sunglasses in her arms. She took the bag off her shoulders and opened it to double check all the items inside: a few Pokeballs, her wallet with her trainer ID and some spare cash, keys to the house, trail mix, several changes of clothes, water bottles, potions... everything she'd need if she decided to hike around the region. She pat her pockets, a feeling of sadness falling over her as she finally realized she only had two of her Pokemon with her. Her mother had asked to bring the Vivillon back home so that her father could look after them, but she'd nearly begged to keep at least one of them. She wasn't even sure who's Pokeball she'd managed to snatch before they were all taken away.

As she slid her backpack back on, Andrea realized the two people she'd been meaning to take to the lab had disappeared. Which was... well, awkward. She shifted uncomfortably, wondering what to do. Perhaps they were still at the lab? She hoped she'd be able to catch them before they left; she hadn't realized that her meeting with her mother would take so long. That woman really knew how to fuss over nothing, and once she'd heard that Andrea had "friends" waiting for her outside, seemed to make the decision that her daughter was going to start on her Pokemon journey right then and there without even asking how she felt about it. And she felt... well, she sure as hell didn't feel prepared.

Not wanting to go out into the unknown by herself, Andrea walked towards the lab, which thankfully wasn't too far away from her mother's boutique. She entered the building, and couldn't help but feel a little happy that she hadn't completely missed Gad and Liam.

"Sorry I took so long," Andrea said as she approached the duo. "Mom decided to kick me out of the house for a while and told me to go explore the world. Took most of my Pokemon with her, too. And, um, she told me that these are for you guys." She held out the stack of hats, revealing them to be a couple of fedoras and brightly-colored sunglasses. She wasn't entirely sure how well-received they would be, but, well, maybe they'd like it?

Rex

Resident Furry
Getting his ID was a surprisingly painless process, and before too long the Professor shepherded the boys back to the elevator. Liam gave his new Pokedex a quick once over on the ride down to the first floor. The design of the Kalos Pokedex was very different from that of the Pokedex the boy had occasionally seen in Sinnoh. The Sinnoh Pokedex had been larger, two screens connected together by a hinge. It had had a directional pad and a few buttons. The Kalos Pokedex, by contrast, was all one piece, two pieces of metal opened up to reveal a touch screen. When closed, it was basically a square, and in fact reminded him of a floppy disk. It felt very fragile in the boy's hands, and he took some care in putting it in his backpack.

Once the professor had left them, Gad turned to him, suggesting they move on to the next town. It was still pretty early in the day, they likely had time. Liam dug out his notebook, and flipped it open to the map of Kalos.

"If we continue heading south we'll reach Santalune, with its gym leader Viola," he said, "I need to get to Anistar City, if we swing down through Santalune and Snowbelle, we'll get there third. That would make it your fourth badge town, assuming you beat both Viola and Wulfric."

His monologue was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Andrea, the girl from before. Well, that was a bit awkward. She didn't seem so peeved that they'd left, but she spun some tale about how her mother had kicked her out. Basically, she was inviting herself to go along with the boys. That was a tad annoying, but if Gad was alright with it, he wouldn't fight the decision. She also presented them with a gift, a couple fedoras and some sunglasses. Liam was already wearing a hat, his go to newsboy cap, but she was attempting to be nice, so he felt obligated to grab one of the black hats for himself.

"Uh, thank you?" He deposited the new garment in his bag. Hopefully he wouldn't accidentally crush it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As Liam talked, Gad took a cursory look at the map. It seemed like a sensible path - but at the same time, it also seemed like a bit of a detour. The map showed a shorter route that seemed to go directly to Anistar through Dendemille - but then, perhaps the mountain roads of Route 17 could be more treacherous than they could handle at the moment. Besides, as Liam said - there were more gyms along the path he had planned. Gad did not hear much about Wulfric of Snowbelle City, but something told him that he trained Ice-types. And Anistar had its own gym - which he honestly didn't look into yet. He would have to prepare for it when it becomes more relevant.

And there was the matter of the rest of the journey, once Liam finished whatever business he had in Anistar - but before he could contemplate it, a wild Andrea appeared. A wild Andrea who was now apparently devoid of her butterfly swarm and on a journey - probably against her better judgment. Part of him was rather irritated by this - a journey should be a personal decision, not something forced on a person like that - surely this girl's mother should have known that! And she appeared to come bearing gifts - which made him question said mother - and her fashion sense - even more. What even IS this region? he thought to himself - but he thankfully accepted the hat and placed it in his bag as well. Bandannas aside, he was definitely not a hat person - but hey, he had the storage space. Maybe they could come in handy someday - like if he needed to infiltrate a convention of mobsters or jazz musicians. or Jazz-playing mobsters. There was probably a subculture of that somewhere in the world. With his prescription glasses, though, the sunglasses were as much use to him as pair of tiny fairy wings would be to an Escavalier - and he would not admit it out loud to the girl, but would probably look just as ludicrous.

"Yes, thank you." he nodded with a slightly awkward smile. "So, er, now that you've been apparently thrown out to the proverbial Mightyenas - I don't suppose you have any plans? I'm personally traveling with Liam for a while - heading to Anistar via the Santalune-Snowbelle route apparently. You're welcome to tag along with us as far as I'm concerned, if you don't have any plans of your own... If Liam doesn't mind either, of course - wouldn't want to assume."

And after all it was probably best not to assume - It's only been a day of a journey and he already found out that what he thought was common knowledge wasn't necessarily common and not everyone were as prepared as he at least tried to be. Evidently, not everyone had the privilege to choose when they go on a journey, either - and with the girl's living lepidopteran comfort zone being taken away, perhaps it would have been better for her to have a slightly more familiar face or two to travel with.

Then again, maybe not. He may have not been entirely clueless regarding how to people, but sometimes it was still a mystery.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Despite the heavy backpack on her bag, Andrea felt very ill-prepared to go on a journey by herself, so when Gad offered to have her join him and Liam, she was more than relieved and felt herself relaxing her shoulders. "That would be great, if that's alright with you guys. I'm not even sure what to do by myself out there." She then paused for a second. "Isn't it faster to get to Anistar through Dendemille? Or are you trying to get some badges along the way as well?"

Rex

Resident Furry
"No, no objections from me," Liam shook his head. Really, he had no reason not to travel with Andrea. The whole reason he decided to travel with Gad to begin with was safety in numbers. And he doubted that his biggest fear, that the girl would prove to be a more useful traveling companion, would come true. He was the guy with the maps, after all. As useful as such things could be. He showed his page on the Kalos region to Andrea.

"The most efficient route of travel for a badge seeking trainer in Kalos involves a figure eight pattern, starting with Lumiose in the center," he explained, "From there, one of four directions can be taken, north to Laverre City, southeast to Santalune City, southwest to Camphrier Town, or west-northwest to Coumarine City. Following the path from those four cities will allow us to hit up every Gym with no detours or backtracking, and most specifically will provide three chances at Clemont's badge - right now, when we return from the first loop, and as the last badge. Since Gad already has the Coumarine badge, my planned route would go there last."

He traced the figure eight from Lumoise to Santalune, around to Laverre, then down to Camphrier and around to Coumarine. Then he closed the book, and returned it to his bag. "Taking the mountain pass to Dendemille Town would get me to Anistar faster, but then we'd have to choose to go to either Laverre or Snowbelle as the next Gym town, and we'd have to double back or take a detour to get the missed gym. It would add travel time rather than reduce it in the long run."

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Andrea nodded along as Liam went over the route on his map, nodding along as he pointed at the different cities on there. "Yeah, that makes sense. I think if we're planning to do the eastern loop first, we should go towards Santalune first. The route's fairly well-traveled and safe so long as we stick to the pathway. I'm also more familiar with that direction myself, since my parents and I actually live around there, close to the forest. The route to Laverre, though, is..." Andrea frowns. "It's weird and swampy, and I heard there's a haunted house on the route. I'd rather avoid it until we're stronger and can handle the wild Pokemon there better."

She stuck her hand into her pocket, rubbing the smooth shell of the single Pokeball she'd managed to save. "I hadn't been planning to try the gym challenge myself, though I guess I wasn't planning on any of this happening either. I suppose I could try it out myself..." She thought for a moment. "Miss Viola uses bug types, so if you have any flying-types, you'd probably do well against her. She's still pretty tough, though, and if you're not careful she'll catch you off-guard."

Andrea blinked, realizing she'd been talking for a while. "Sorry, I think I got carried away. Anyways, um, that's what I think. Santalune. Yeah."

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OOC: Zark almighty, Kalos lives again! Let's see if I remember how to Van Lierre, shall we?

"Santalune indeed." Gad nodded in reply - and they were off again.

~*~​

Route 13 and Route 4 could not have been any more different.

Where the former was mostly barren and left at the mercy of the harsh elements, the latter was exceptionally well maintained and surrounded by with ornamental trees, intricately-patterned paths through sculpted hedges and vibrantly-colored, fragrant flower-beds carefully groomed and manicured by human hands. Parterre Way, as the locals called it, was named for the gardening techniques that gave the route its distinct look, and was apparently considered a local point of pride.

It was also, understandably, far more lively - the gardens attracted both Pokémon and people, both locals and those hailing from further away. Worker Combee fluttered busily among the flower beds, gathering nectar and pollen for their colonies, while gardeners in green overalls tended to the assorted tasks of their trade. Gleeful children ran through the hedge mazes while their parents, never too far away, sat on ornate benches and shared pleasant conversation, with a Flying-type or two keeping a watchful eye from above. Folk out on morning walks greeted old acquaintances as they passed by. Men and women in business suits made their way towards Lumiose with a look of self-importance. Sometimes a patch of grass or flowers rustled as something moved through it - and near a particular patch of flowers, Gad could swear he saw a frantic-looking Skitty dashing around in circles, a tiny white creature excitedly clinging to its flower-like tail before it disappeared into the patch.

It looked like it was going to be a lovely day.

It also seemed like a good opportunity to do some training - the road to Santalune was not nearly as long as the one through the badlands, and if a gym battle was in the cards - particularly one where he may need both his partners - it was probably a good opportunity for him to get to know Synalpheus a little better. Perhaps an opportunity for a battle would present itself later? The road signs suggested there was a park with a major ornamental water fountain halfway through this route. Something told him that would be a good place for that sort of thing.

Assuming his companions on the road wouldn't mind a slight delay, of course.

Rex

Resident Furry
Andrea was quick to agree with the sensibility of his planned route, and Liam figured that if he could convince a local that he knew how to get around their home region best, he was probably a lot better at this whole maps thing than he thought. Even though he'd just put his notebook away, he immediately found himself digging it back out to write down some notes as the group's newest traveling companion filled them in on the particulars of the route they'd be taking. Some of it he'd read about, he knew that Route 4 was well traveled, and Route 14 was particularly swampy. He wondered what happened to make such a wet region border up against something so dry as the badlands. Routes 13 and 14 always looked so close together on the maps. Maybe the distance between them were larger than he thought?

The bit about the haunted house though, that made him shiver. The involuntary jerk that ran through his body nearly made him break the tip of his pencil against the page. Oh yes, he knew all about supposedly haunted locations, more than he ever really wanted. Thankfully, Andrea seemed fairly distracted talking about Viola, so hopefully she didn't notice. He supposed he'd know for sure if either she or Gad decided to bring it up to him later. For now though, it seemed like everyone was keen to move on. They'd spent more than enough time here in Lumiose.

---

Route 4 was actually pretty beautiful. And so incredibly different to what Route 13 had given them. Of course, Liam was quickly at work writing notes and sketching scenes based on the scenery. Richard, his ever faithful companion, padded along in front of him. Every so often the Buizel tapped the trainer's leg with his two tails in order to get him to look up from his book and stop himself from blundering into some kind of trouble. They'd managed to get Enrico from his last bout of carelessness, but they wouldn't always be so lucky. There was quite a lot to see, though.

A number of Pokemon were drawn to the flowers. Every so often he caught a glimpse of Combee busy at work, or Budew basking in the sunlight, both Pokemon he recognized from his home region of Sinnoh. Most frequently, though, was a Pokemon he didn't quite recognize. Small white and green things, with crowns of pollen around their heads and long, wing-like, ears. He'd done his research, naturally. He believed these were Flabébé, a prototypical Fairy Type Pokemon, and one of, if not the first, such Typed Pokemon Liam had ever encountered. He knew the Lavarre Gym Leader specialized in this Type of Pokemon, one of the few to do so, in fact. It didn't look like much, but he knew looks could be deceiving.

That wasn't to say the route was dominated by Pokemon. The well maintained route was practically swarming with people, especially compared to the much more sparse population of the badlands. At one point they passed an older gentleman, clipping hedges with the help of his Corphish. At another, Liam was nearly bowled over by a pair of roller skaters who came screaming down the pathway at quite a high speed. Of course, it was his fault he didn't see them until the last second, but he still felt a bit miffed at the seeming carelessness of the pair. The next person Liam nearly bumped into, however, was Gad. He nearly tripped over Richard, in fact, who'd come to a sudden stop.

It seemed that a sign had caught the eye of the older trainer. It talked about park, located roughly halfway along the route, where there was some kind of water feature installed. Did the other trainer want to stop there? He hadn't said anything about it yet, but if signs about it had caught Gad's eye, Liam supposed it'd make sense if he wanted to see it.

"Might be a good place to take a break?" He ventured, wondering if his guess had been good.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
The path back home- back to Santalune, rather- was well-traveled and easy to navigate, which was probably a good thing for Andrea. She often found herself walking ahead of her other two companions, barely noticing she'd left them behind until she realized just how empty the space around her was. And, well, it was so empty. No fluttering wings of her brightly colored companions, no sparkle of scales glinting in the sunlight... she appreciated having the others by her side, though she still found herself occasionally thumbing at the Pokeball in her pocket.

"Hello, Andrea!" she heard someone call out to her. She looked up and saw an older gentleman with a pair of clippers in his hands and a Corphish next to him. He tipped his hat in greeting. "Didn't expect to see you out and about this early."

"Monsieur Fabian, good morning to you as well," she said with a wave. "And hello, Nicolas," she said, smiling at the Corphish.

"I see that your entourage of Vivillon aren't with you!" Fabian said with a chuckle. "Are they all asleep? On such a lovely day?"

Andrea's face fell at that, and she looked away, sticking a hand into her pocket. After a moment of silence, she heard Fabian speak again, with a gentler voice. "Ah, it's alright, girl. I understand if you don't want to talk about it."

She nodded. "Thank you, Monsieur Fabian." Still looking away, she continued, "I'm just on my way back to Santalune... since Andrew had to go back to Sinnoh." She paused. "And, I want to challenge Viola to a battle."

"Ah, a battle!" Fabian said with a grin. "Well, I do wish you luck, though I'm sure you'll be fine if you practice."

"Thanks, Monsieur Fabian," she said, attempting a slight smile which likely looked more like a grimace. Practice.... yes, she'd definitely need to practice. The last time she'd been in a Pokemon battle was at the Trainer School a year and a half ago, on a double-digit losing streak. She glanced back towards her companions. Perhaps she could ask one of them to give her some pointers, maybe even a practice battle before they got to the city.

She waited for the others to catch up before trailing behind them, her feet dragging slightly as she thought through her predicament. She could just speak up now.... but wouldn't it be too sudden? Do travel companions randomly challenge each other to battles? Was there a right way to ask for a battle? Maybe they wouldn't mind, after all, they're also trying for the gym challenge, maybe they'd be open to a battle. But what if she was bothering them? What if-

Her thoughts were thankfully interrupted when Liam spoke up. She looked up and found them next to a sign pointing them towards the Perle Fountain. "Yeah.... yeah, that would be good," she said with a nod. "We'd be about.... halfway there? Give or take, I think." She was just about to start walking when she saw something move from the corner of her eye. No, wait... it couldn't be.

She looked towards her left, and sure enough, in the distance, hiding in a ledge, she spotted it: a single lone Budew. She knew there were some in the area, but most were usually too shy and would scuttle away before she could get close enough. She'd always found them adorable, though, and.... well, she needed to build her team. Might as well start somewhere, right?

She sped away towards the Pokemon as quickly as she could. "Hey guys, I'll be back! Just need to catch a new friend! I'll meet you by the fountain!" she called out over her shoulder.

Last edited: