• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed King of the Fist

Genzo snapped his fingers as everybody's pictures appeared on a giant screen it was divided into four sections, Main, jungle, beach, mountain arena. The pictures started to randomize until finally stopping.
Cullen recognized his opponent as a multi scrub district gang member. He smirked happy that he was going first in the main dojo.

"Alright." Mr. Genzo said. " The first match in the Dojo will be between Cullen and Pete, First match on the beach will be between David Cage and Hagon, First in the Jungle Boko against Jasmine peters, and first on mountain will be Garra De Osso vs Blake." He said as you can see on the screen the person next to you will be your opponent and the part of the screen you are in is where your battle will take place." He said. " You have thirty minutes to get to your arena." He said.

Coco was initially confused when the randomization process started, but it all made sense when Mr. Genzo explained it. As the other contestants stood up, so did Coco. The mute looked around the room, trying to find Cullen. She caught a glimpse of Powell and Lt. Johann talking quietly and inspecting the board, no doubt trying to figure out which fight would be the most beneficial to watch. After a few moments, Coco located the leather jacketed gang member, and started walking towards him.

Cullen stood up he and Boko nodded as they fist bumped before Boko left to go to the jungle area. He turned around and saw Coco walking towards him. He smiled and waved at her as he moved closer. " Hey Coco." he said to the mute. "I want to sincerely apologize for what I did. I was way out of line. can you please forgive me?"

Coco smiled and nodded, then fished around in her bag for her notebook and pen. Finally finding it, the mute opened it to a blank page and started writing. After a moment, she showed the message to Cullen.
Its okay. It's thanks to you that creep left me alone, so I guess I wasn't all that nice. Thank you. The message read. A thought suddenly hit Coco, and she added another part to the message. Good luck on your fight! I'll be rooting for you!

"Well?" Powell asked. Johann didn't respond, and simply continued to study the matchups. The boxer sighed, then began to walk off. "I'm going to get a good seat. This is the fight I'm watching."
Johann didn't respond, then quietly walked away towards the path that lead to the jungle.

He smiled as he read her note. " Well then I'll make sure not to fail." He said puffing up his chest. He looked her in the eyes. and lifted his hand. " I know we barley know each other but would you like to be friends?" He asked.

Janet started to walk towards Coco but stopped as she watched her friend talking with that boy. She belived his name was Cullen she smiled happy for her friend. ' Hey Coco." She said. " I'm going to head to the beach arena to see what the creep actor is capable of." She said. " I'll try to catch your match if we aren't in the same wave.

Pete watched Cullen. He knew that he would have to kill this scrub. It is what he and the other Chamellions here were paid to do. He looked at the girl he was talking with another scrub. that makes atleast three that weren't taken care of ahead of time. He and the others will have to take care of them and soon. He moved his fingers putting his small blade in between his ring and middle finger.

Last edited:
When Cullen asked to be friends, Coco smiled and nodded, then gave him the thumbs up. Right after she had responded to Cullen, Janet walked up as well. Coco nodded at the girl's suggestion, then responded in sign language. Thanks. I'll try to watch you too.

He was glad when Coco agreed to be friends. He looked and saw a girl around his age talking to Coco. He tilted his head she seemed familiar though he couldn't place it.
"Anyways I should probably get ready for this match." He said. " Tonight would you like to go on a walk around the island." He asked.

Coco thought about it for a moment. She couldn't really see anything wrong with it. The girl smiled kindly and nodded. A evening walk after being cramped on that ship for four days sounded like a great idea. Coco gave Cullen a thumbs up and a wave, then went to find a good seat for the fight.

He smiled at her before taking his place in the ring. He looked as his opponent stepped on the opposite side of the ring. Cullen let out a breath as he took his jacket off and got into a fighting position. He crouched down as his left arm was stretched out and his right was near his chest.

" Pheonix fist." Mr Genzo said with a chuckle. " Haven't seen that in a long time." He looked over to his son Akira and saw complete hatred in his eyes. He then looked over to his grandson Lee and watched as he was examining the match.

Pete got into his stance. " Begin." The Ref said. Pete rushed towards Cullen. Cullen side stepped his attack and hit the man's face with an open palm causing Pete to move backwards. Cullen took the initative and tried to sweep the man's leg so he'd fall to the ground .

Pete smirked as he moved punching Cullen's stomach. Cullen took a step backwards as his hand moved over the wound. He felt that the area was wet with some sticky liquid. Cullen looked at the man in disbelief. The man smirked. " Sorry mate no hard feelings." He said as Cullen's eyes widened with recognition as "Pete" ran quickly sending a barrage of attacks at Cullen leaving cuts all over his torso.

Cullen fell to the ground bleeding.

"Typical scrub." Akira said apparently not noticing the cuts on Cullen. Pete walked over to his target ready to send the finishing blow. He threw the punch he thought would end the match planning on cutting across his face deep enough that it would harm the brain. Cullen grabbed Pete and used what strength he had left to get ontop of the man. With anger in Cullen's eyes he started to punch "Pete's face mercilessly until he was knocked out. Cullen barely stood up as he looked at the body underneath him. Blood came out of the man's mouth as three teeth laid near him

" Winner Cullen." The Ref said. Cullen grabbed the small knife Pete had and gave it to the Ref. He looked at Coco and smiled at her before falling down in pain.

Last edited:
When the fight was starting, Coco quickly found a seat.
"Well, hello." Looking over, Coco found she was sitting next to a certain boxer. Powell! The boxer smiled. "It's a bit better out here than on the boat, huh?"
Coco smiled and nodded, then turned her attention to watch the fight. It seemed to start off okay, but Coco felt Powell tense next to her. Taking her eyes off the non-stop fight, Coco gave Powell a curious glance. The boxer sat ridged, his face intense. He was searching the fight. Coco nudged him, and nodded at the fight.
"Something's wrong..." Powell said, just as Cullen fell to the ground. Suddenly, Coco saw it as well. His shirt was covered in blood! How?! When?! It wasn't like that when the fight started!

Pete went in for the finishing blow, but Cullen retaliated quickly and knocked him out. The gang member turned to Coco, and she put a hand over her mouth, her expression one of shock. Then Cullen collapsed.
"MEDIC!" Powell roared, jumping to his feet. Coco did as well.

Lee looked at the down man before rushing towards him. He took his suit off and pressed it against the wounds. How could they let someone who was obviously a killer into the tournament. He looked at the man that shouted Medic. From the look of him he guessed he was the boxer Powell. "Medic has been informed." He said with his thick Japanese accent. " Take that man into custody." He said to a couple guards as he pointed at the would be killer.

Coco watched as the medics began to take away Cullen. She stayed practically frozen, her mind trying to process what she had just seen. How could this happen? As much as she made jokes to herself about how she wasn't in District S, a stabbing had gone down anyway! This was crazy! A hand fell on her shoulder and she looked up to see Powell looking down at her, concern in his eyes.
"You okay?" The boxer asked. Coco took a moment to regain her senses, then nodded. The people started to disperse as both the fight and the danger was over. Coco got up, not sure what to do now.
"I'm sure he'll be alright. He seems to be a tough guy." Powell said. Coco nodded.

Lee looked at the man and nodded. " The medic room is in the third building to the left. With our tech he should be up in a couple of hours." He said. He started to walk to the door. "It's this way." He said motioning them towards the door.

The jungle.
Boko rolled into a ball as he slammed into his opponents chest. He jumped backwards before landing perfectly. He moved like a wild animal as he clawed at his opponent. The opponent took a step back as she tried to regain her composer.

The pasty plastic like man watched him. " interesting the boy moves like a beast." He tried to smirk. " He'll be interesting to fight."

The mountain.
The Ref put a flag up as Garra De Osso moved around the ring with his arms the air as people applauded. Osso's opponent as on the ground knocked out. Osso looked at the man and spoke. "Luchó con honor. Te deseo suerte en tu vida" He offered a hand to his opponent. The weakly took it resulting in Osso picking him up and carring him to the infermory

The beach
Cage smirked as he stood over his opponent who was on the ground squirming as his hands where covering his manhood. " You've been caged mother fucker." He said the people simply nodded as the Ref called the match in David's favor.

Janet rolled her eyes. ''Really a cheap shot to the man's weak spot and a jump kick. Does he really think anyone thinks he's all that.'

Last edited:
Johann watched Boko's fight impassively. Even though she had never seen a fighting style as strange as the one the green man-beast was using, she didn't let it show. He truly was a strange fighter.

Coco went to follow Lee, but Powell didn't. When Coco gave him a curious glance, Powell simply shrugged.
"I'll see him later. Right now, I'm going to go find Lt. Johann." Powell said. "I'll see you around."
With that, Powell exited the dojo. Coco watched him go for a moment before following Lee.

Boko's opponet went down as he stood over her. He smiled and gave a thumbs up to the crowed before walking off. He wondered if his friend one his match.

"Attention." A voice said threw the speakers placed throughout the island. Though Boko thought it was a very loud voice. "There has been an assassination attempt on one of the contestants. If you see anything suspicious let us know."

Cullen's eyes fluttered open. It felt like his body was on fire as he laid in a hard bead looking up a dull ceiling. "What happened." He said weakly.

Lee walked to the medic building and opened the door for her. "He should be in the first room to the left." He said. " Sorry I can't go any further I need to take care of a few things. I'll make sure that your in the last wave so you won't have to worry about leaving for a few hours." He said.

Johann looked at the nearest speaker as it made the announcement. The soldier's eyes narrowed as she thought back to a conversation she had a few days ago... Could it be? Johann had a feeling that she was right. She glanced at Boko as he exited the ring. He talked to Cullen quite a bit, and the two seemed to have become friends. Johann considered telling him, then dismissed the thought. She didn't know if Cullen was the target of the assassination attempt. Glancing again at Boko, Johann turned and began to walk on the trail back to the dojo and Medical Building.

Coco nodded at Lee, managing a grateful smile. However, the mute couldn't keep the concern off her face. Nervous, Coco walked down the hall towards the room Cullen was supposed to be staying in. The albino girl opened the door and looked in.

Cullen lifted his head as he saw the door open. He smiled when he saw Coco. He waved at her before laying his head back down. "Sorry doesn't look like I'll be walking around the beach with you tonight." He said

Coco smiled a relieved smile when Cullen looked up and talked to her. Walking into the room, she sat in a chair next to Cullen's bed and looked him up and down. He didn't look so great. This... Wasn't the first time something like this had happened. Back on the train, Cullen was attacked there too. But now, on the island? The man, Pete, didn't really look like the masked man Cullen had kicked through the door. This was... Strange. Taking her notebook out, Coco wrote a message and showed it to Cullen.

Are you okay?

He read the message and nodded. " Yeah Doctors said I'll make a full recovery. Have to hand it to the common wealth they know how to heal people." He said the he got serious. " It was the same guy. I mean his body looked a bit different but he said the exact same thing changed a little bit." He said. He shook his head as he tried to get up only for seering pain to keep him down.

Coco looked down at Cullen, shocked. The same guy? But how was that even possible? Cullen tried to get up, but before Coco could push him back down he had already fallen back. The mute put a hand on Cullen's shoulder and shook her head. The meaning was clear. Don't do that. Coco turned a page in her notebook, and was halfway thought writing a message when someone appeared in the door.
"I thought I might find you here." Johann said. Coco stood up, but Johann was looking only at Cullen. "I had a feeling when I remembered what you said happened on the train."

Cullen nodded at Coco before giving a salute to Johann. "Officer." He said. "It was the same person." He said looking her in the eyes. "I guess someone really has it in for me." He said. " How have you been lieutenant. Haven't spoken to you since the first day on the boat." He as his hand gently grazrd Cocos

"Fine." Johann said dismissively. "So, Pete was the one that ambushed you on the train..."
Johann frowned, thinking for a moment.
"What sort of motive does he have? The battle matchups were randomised, so it wasn't so he could bypass your match." Johann said, thinking out loud. She looked up at Cullen. "Have you ever met him before?"

Although Coco felt Cullen's hand graze hers, she didn't pull way. She was watching the Lieutenant curiously. The lady was asking good questions. What exactly did the killer get out of trying to kill Cullen?

" No I never met him personally." He said. " Ive heard of him. He was from some Multi district gang." He thought everything over and remembered something. "The Pheonix's have had some run ins with them but nothing happened that would lead them to this." He said. He looked at the Lieutenant. " That blade he used. I've never seen anything like it before." He said.

Coco frowned, thinking back to the fight. She hadn't seen the blade, only a flash of metal when Cullen had thrown it to the feet of the referee. Johann, however, looked interested by this fact.
"Really?" Johann asked. "Do you think you could describe it? And was there anything else strange that you had noticed?"

Before Cullen was able to respond, however, the door to the room slammed open. Coco jumped in surprise, and looked up to see the muscular frame of Powell in the doorway.
"Hello there. Strange things have been occurring, have they not?" Powell asked. Coco shot him a look of confusion, while Johann sighed.
"Powell, try not to get too overexcited about this." Johann said.

Cullen looked at the man and raised an eye brow. "As I was saying before sherlock here busted in." He said. " The blade was small. Thin enough that you could fit it between two fingers." He said moving his middle and index finger as if to show them. "Every time he punched me the blade went in." Have any idea what it might be?' He asked.

Johann thought for a moment, then shook her head.
"I don't think I've ever seen a weapon like that, or even heard of one like that." The soldier said. She glanced at her watch, then sighed.
"I'm going to go get ready. I have a feeling that my fight is going to be soon." Johann said. The soldier nodded at the trio, then walked out of the room. Powell shrugged as well.
"I've never seen a weapon like that. Not much use for weapons in the Buisness Districts, and in the scrub districts I've seen only shivs or switchblade." Powell said. Coco shook her head as well.

"Good luck Officer." Cullen said as he relaxed on the bed. He looked at Powell then at Coco. " Well if either of you have a deck of cards I can teach you how to play black jack." He said. " I got nothing else to do while I heal. " He said.

"Sorry. I don't got anything." Powell said with a shrug. "I've got to go. There's fighters to study, and I want to investigate this a little more."
With that, the boxer began to leave the room. He hesitated at the door, and turned to Cullen.
"Be careful, okay? I have a feeling that this isn't the end of these strange events." Powell said. With that, he walked out the room. Coco watched him go, then turned to Cullen. She decided that she was going to keep Cullen company. Unfortunately, she didn't have any cards either.

Coco looked back at Cullen, then smiled and shrugged. She didn't exactly have much to do anyway, and she liked hanging out with Cullen. Not only that, but in here there was a much lesser chance that she would run into that lab coat creep. Coco got out her notebook and wrote a message, then showed it to Cullen.

Sorry, I don't have any cards either. The message said.

Meanwhile, back in the dojo the randomization process began again. Pictures of the fighters randomly flashed on the screen until they finally stopped. Lt. Johann was to fight, as well as Powell. Johann's opponent was a man covered in many tattoos, by the fighter name of Rün. Powell's opponent, on the other hand, was a man by the name of "Bullet" Bill in the dojo. Johann and Powell made eye contact from across the room, then nodded at each other.

Powell entered the ring, taking off his shirt and popping his knuckles. On the other end of the ring, "Bullet" Bill entered. He was a rather lanky looking man, wearing a light green hoodie. The two took their ready positions, Powell in a "classic" boxer position, while "Bullet" Bill was a bit lighter on his feet. Then the fight began.

"It's alright." He said as he smiled at her before frowning a little bit. " You should be carefull Coco." He said. He looked to make sure no one was watching. " I don't think this was a coincidence." he said truthfully. "Also A few times I've seen a strange lab coat man stalking you." He said.

The plastic skin man sat back and planned on watching Powell's fight. " He was interested to see a different form of boxing from his own.

Julie frowned as once again she was not in this round. She thought it over and decided to see what army girl could do.

Queen smiled as he saw his picture shown. He was fighting against some African man with no hair and a gotee named Luke Marduck. He looked and saw the man. Both of them looked at each other and nodded as if to say may the best man win.

Coco frowned, considering what Cullen was saying. Although she did have a bad feeling about Cullen being attacked, she didn't see how it was more than just focused on Cullen. No one else had been targeted. That man in the lab coat, however... Coco looked over her shoulder, half-expecting to see the man walk past the room. But the doorway was clear. Coco turned back to Cullen and nodded, then began writing again in her notebook. She showed the message to Cullen.

I've noticed him as well. He's giving me the creeps, but so far has just been watching me from a distance. Next time I see him, I'll be sure to grab him and report him. The message read.

Dojo
The man was called Bullet Bill for a reason. He was fast. Powell danced back, dodging another flurry of jabs. Bill pressed his advantage, pushing Powell back. Powell made sure to stay in the ring, going along the edge of the ring. Bullet Bill stopped, dancing from one foot to the other.
"Well?" Bill asked, fists at the ready. "Did you beat all your opponents by running away?"
Powell didn't respond, and simply stood at the ready. Bill attacked again, throwing another flurry of jabs. But instead of dancing back like he always did, Powell ducked under the punches. Closing the distance between the two fighters, Powell threw a powerful right hook, decking Bill right in the jaw. Bill staggered right but Powell didn't let up, attacking with a strong uppercut to trouble Bill's footing. Finally, Powell attacked with a roundhouse kick to Bill's right side, knocking the mercenary out of the ring. And with that, the fight was over.

Jungle
"HRAH!" The tattooed man cried, throwing a wild haymaker punch at Johann's head. The fight had barely started, and Run was already having trouble. The tattooed man had taken off his shirt before the fight, displaying a body as full of tattooes as his arms and head. Johann, on other other hand, had merely taken off her jacket, revealing a tan undershirt and showing her bionic arm. The Lieutenant caught the punch easily with her bionic arm, and though Run tried to press against it, it wouldn't budge. Johann pulled the man forward, chopping him in the throat with her right. Run fell to the ground, gasping for breath, and Johann stepped back. Once the man had got his breath back he charged at Johann again, this time trying to go for a grapple. Johann hit Run with a roundhouse kick, knocking him away and almost making him unintentionally run out of the ring. Run snarled at Johann, and the two began to circle each other.
"I'm going to make you regret ever entering this ring..." Run growled, then charged. He thew a jab at Johann, who caught it with her right arm instead. As fast as a cobra Johann struck Run's elbow, breaking his arm. Run let out a high pitched scream, then fell to the ground again. Johann retreated back, giving him some space.

Yet after a few moments, Run rose once again.
"You... bitch..." Run gasped, holding his broken arm. "I'm... going... to kill you..."
"You've lost. Give up." Johann said. Run let out a roar, charging the Lt. again. Johann lashed out with a kick straight to the guy's crotch. The man crumpled like a piece of paper.
"I told you, you should have forfetied the match." Johann said, walking around Run. She grabbed him by the belt and, straining a little (for the man was pretty big), tossed Run over the line of the ring.

Cullen nodded. "Well the doc says I should be better by tomorrow." He said. " Once I'm good I'll watch your back if you watch mine." He said as he lifted his arm towards her.

The plastic skinned man watched the fight at the dojo and clapped for Powell. The man had an interesting form. It would be interesting to fight him later on.

Nice Job." Julie said to the officer as she watched the easy battle.

The Beach

Queen and Murdock were evenly matched as they traded blows. Queen spat out some blood as he got back up from the latest beat down. " That all you got." He said as stood up proud.
Murdock simply smirked as he tried to hit Queen. Queen grabbed the man's arm and used his elbow to hit Murdock's face. He then kicked the man back enough that his feet went over the line. Murdock looked at Queen and smiled as he offered the man his hand. "Good match. I hope you make it far."

The Medical Building

Coco thought about this for a second. While she fully believed that she could handle herself and did not need any help, the strange circumstances with Cullen made her think he needed some to watch his back. So Coco smiled a determined smile and shook Cullen's hand. He didn't seem like that bad of a guy, and there could be more... Unsavory characters around here to be paired up with.

The Jungle

Lt. Johann looked up at the girl as she walked out of the ring.
"Thank you." The soldier said. As people began to get out of their seats and mill around, Johann sat down next to the ring and got out a small toolbox. Being very careful, the Lieutenant began make slight adjustments to her bionic arm. As she worked, Johann glanced back up at the girl again. She had seen that girl in the ship, on the way to the island. So she was a competitor...
"Hey." Johann said to the girl. "You seen anything... Strange, going on lately?"

The Mountain

"So tell me, what led a leading scientist and member of the Common Wealth such as yourself to join a fighting tournament, Dr. Delta?"
Although the woman was dressed in fighting garb, it was clear from the air around her and the way she spoke that she was a reporter. The man in the lab coat dodge a strike from the woman and blocked a kick, forcing a smile.
"Well, hand to hand combat has always been an interest to me." Dr. Delta responded. Spotting an opening, the man in the lab coat lashed out with a two fingered jab to a precise spot on the woman's shoulder. The reporter's arm dropped like a wet noodle. The reporter quickly retreated back, trying to assess the damage.
"But wouldn't that be considered unfair to those who entered this competition for a better life?" The woman fired back.
"Nonsense. The winnings from this tournament would go to making a cheaper drug, in the hopes to making medicine in Scrub districts easier to access." The man in the lab coat responded. The two began circling each other, before the woman charged and launched a flying kick at Dr. Delta. The scientist blocked the blow and jabbed at the underside of the woman's thigh. The reporter tried to get up, only to find that her leg would no longer support her weight.
"Well, this has been your news story with Alexandria Reeves. Signing off." The reporter said, before forfeiting the match.
"Don't worry." Dr. Delta said as he walked out of the ring. "The effects from the pressure points should wear off in about an hour."

He smiled as he looked at her he let out a breath as he mustered his courage. " I'm going to ask you a question. Don't take it the wrong way I'm not trying to creep on you. It's just your pretty so I have to know." He said. " Do you have a boyfriend... or girlfriend if your into that." He said.

Janet shook her head. "Nothing strange. There's been this lab coat fellow who's been stalking my friend. And that pervert Cage but nothing else out of the ordinary." She said as she smiled then looked at her seriously. "Why what's going on.?" She looked at the woman's arm. ' Looks pretty good well made and designed well. She must be business or a pretty wealthy commoner.' She thought

Coco sat there for a moment, not really comprehending what Cullen was saying. Then her eyes widened, and blush began to spread across her face. She looked down, putting her hands on her knees. Then, after another moment, she looked back up at Cullen with a small smile and shook her head no. Her blush faded a little, but it was quite clear that she hadn't expected that question.

Johann shook her head.
"It could be nothing. There was a stabbing. On scrub competitor attacked another." Johann said. "It was even in the ring, during the fight."
The soldier glanced up to see that the girl was looking at her arm. Finishing her slight repairs, Johann allowed herself a small smile.
"Looks pretty good, doesn't? My friend would tell me that it cost an arm and a leg to get it." Johann said coolly. She put the tools back in the box. "He wasn't lying, either. I'm still in debt from this."
Johann glanced at the girl again, then leaned down and pulled up her left pant leg. The camo cargo pant leg lifted to reveal a fully working bionic leg as well.
"Really sucks for wearing swimsuits." Johann said.

Cullen moved his head away from her. As a dark redness filled his face. " Really I'm surprised." He said. "I was sure you would've had someone. Not just how pretty you are but you also have a good personality." He said.

Janet chuckled at the last comment. She thought of the known scrubs that were in the first wave. 'Cullen.' She muttered. She felt sad for him but knew that the doctors would do everything in order to keep him alive. She examined the metal limbs. "What happened to them?" She asked. "If you don't mind me asking.

Coco's blush resurged when Cullen complimented her, but she shook her head again. Nearly all guys she knew her age either didn't talk to her or saw her as nothing more than a conquest. Not only that, but often times things got quite violent and Coco would be forced to... Break some things. Coco looked back over at Cullen, then nodded her head slightly as if to ask, "and you?"

"IED." Johann said. It was still a bit of a bitter topic for her. "I was right over it when it detonated."
Johann let her pant let drop and stood back up, grabbing her toolbox. She looked down at the girl.
"How'd you know it was Cullen?" Johann asked, suspicion in her voice.

"I had some one." He said as he looked at her. "She was killed in a street mugging " he said. "We were going to get married the next week." He said . He smiled half hardedly at her.

he was the only scrub in the first wave that I knew about. " she said. She looked at the limbs. "You must have great hearing. I only muttered the name." She said . "Hey have you adjusted the limbs so they can take more of a beating and not wear out so easily?" She asked

Oh. Coco put a hand over her mouth in shock. She hadn't been expecting that. With sorrow in her eyes, Coco laid a gentle hand on Cullen's arm. Although Coco might have never felt a loss like that, it was still a terrible thing to hear.

"Yeah, sorry about that." Johann said. "That same IED that blew off my arm and leg, well... I almost went deaf from the blast. I had to get surgery on my eardrums, or I would have completely lost my hearing. But every since then, my hearing has been quite heightened. Didn't exactly help my financial situation, though. As for my arm and leg, well, yeah. Last tournament, I hadn't. I thought that they would've been enough the way they were, and ended up paying the price for it. Right in the semi-finals, my arm got damaged and I wasn't able to use it. Cost me the match, maybe even the tournament."
The soldier stood back up, glancing at her watch, then back at the girl.
"My name's Johann, by the way. Lt. Johann. They should be announcing the next competitors soon." Johann said to the girl.