• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Kinect

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I walked into EB Games today with the intention of buying a gift card. I left with the gift card and a Kinect. It was over $50 off, so I couldn't resist.

Anyways, who already has a Kinect or plans to get one? Favourite Kinect games? Any recommendations? Let's talk about the thing. :)

At the moment, the only Kinect game that has caught my interest is Child of Eden. I'm going to check out some demos and see if there's anything else I may like. Beyond that... can't say much because I've yet to actually plug my Kinect in. Gonna go do that now. XP

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
First thing to do is to download Kinect Fun Labs and mess around with that. Other than that, there's not much available other than the launch titles, really.

As you'll probably be aware from E3, there's a lot of Kinect compatibility coming (moreso than Kinect focused games, it seems), but most of that is months away at least.

Child of Eden is the one interesting title on the shelves for it right now, really. But - like its predecessor, Rez - don't be expecting anything massively deep or expansive. It's an interactive music visualisation and that's all it aims to be.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nick Fury said:
First thing to do is to download Kinect Fun Labs and mess around with that.

First thing I did after setup. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but will do so tomorrow.

Well, first impressions: Kinect is pretty nifty, but some of the demos I tried were temperamental (they wouldn't follow my motions properly). I'll probably also need to clear the space around my 360 better because the Kinect seemed crabby about the placement of our table...

My little sisters are eager to try it out, so I'm going to see what I can get used/rent for them. Child of Eden should be enough for me, for now.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I can has new impressions!

Kinect utterly sucks in busy spaces. If you don't have a nice big open space from your TV (at least 6 to 8 feet) with virtually nothing in the way - you're in for a headache. I've moved so much stuff just to get the thing to work properly and it's still bitchy at the most annoying times. I was expecting something a bit more reliable after playing with Wii Motion Plus, but eh.

It's not all bad. At least Kinect games are beautiful, and my little sisters really like it. Child of Eden is tremendously better when played with Kinect verses a controller, and it's really fun being able to use both of your hands simultaneously. I just wouldn't really recommend Kinect to anyone yet, both for the lack of games and its functionality. Hopefully further system updates will continue to fix it up. I can only imagine what it played like when it was originally released...