• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

June Creativity contest - Judgement Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, judges please post your judgements here :D

Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay but at long last here is the creativity contest judging thread! *trumpets*

Alright, so here is how this is going to work. i will post in this first post the judging template for my panel of judges to use. Each judge will simply copy paste the template as many times as needed and fill it out to do their judgement on each participating idea. And judges feel free to comment on each criteria and really try to explain why your grading as you are. Also feel free to customize your judgement post to make it easier to read and less drab if you wish.

So here is the panel of judges to refresh your memories:

- Jeydis
- Linkachu
- LoN Colossus
- Cody
- Pheonix

Each judge must have their judgements completed and finalized by July 1st. i know its not much time but I would like to have a more linear schedule from now on and this would make it much easier if everything ends on the first and begins for the next contest. If you don't think you can make the deadline please inform me as soon as possible. Feel free to edit your entries as time goes by as long as it is before the deadline.

So now that that is out of the way here are what most have been waiting for, the competing ideas!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Creator: Shado
Move: Moon Sky
PP: 5
Move Classification: Status
Power:--
Accuracy:--
Pokemon that can learn it: Umbreon
Effect: Turns the weather to Night sky, which increases all Dark Type moves by 1.5% The move Moonlight recovers 2/3 of max HP. Synthesis recovers 1/4 of max HP. Solarbeam's power is now 60. Thunder now has an accuracy of 80%.
Creator: Shocari
Name of the attack: Final Shadow
Type(wasn't listed, but meh): Dark
PP: 10
Accuracy: 85
Base Power: 100
who learns it: Absol
Effect: (special attack) The user envelops the foe with dark energy that drains them of energy. Has 30% chance of making the foe flinch.
Creator: GodlessM
Move Name: Flash Fire
Move Type: Fire
Power: 75
Accuracy: -
PP: 15
Type: Physical
Description: The Pokemon builds up heat and then charges the foe with lightning speed, so fast that the foe is unable to see them the second before impact. As such this move always strikes first, and will always hit. There is a 10% chance it may lower the user's Attack.
Creator: Tangrow
Name of the attack: Floral Burst
PP:5
Accuracy:95
Base Power:90

Pokemon that can learn it:Smeargle, Bulbasaur, Oddish, Exeggutor, Bellsprout, Chikorita, Skiploom, Jumpluff, Sunkern, Celebi, Treecko, Lotad, Seedot, Shroomish(NOT Breloom), Budew, Cacnea, Lileep, Tropius, Turtwig, Wormadam(Grass), Cherrim, Carnivine, Snover, Shaymin(Normal Form), Arceus, Shuckle, Shedinja, Drapion, Stunky, Zubat, Cleffa, Meowth, Lickitung, Porygon, Sentret, Dunsparce, Spinda, Kecleon, Glameow, Slowpoke, Shellder, Omastar, and Bonsly. Phew >< That's 80 species of Pokemon in total, counting evolutions.

Effect: While the move is in effect, the opponent may not switch out. The type of Pokemon that is being affected by the moive depends on how many turns it takes for the opponent to take damage, which will be shown below.

Water - 3
Faire - 0
Grass - 1
Electric - 2
Ground - 1
Rock - 1
Steel - 3
Fighting - 2
Psychic - 2
Dark - 2
Ghost - 4
Bug - 1
Poison - 3
Flying - 2
Ice - 4
Dragon - 4
Normal - 2

NOTES: Since I made a little in game description of the move first, it made more sense when this and the types are put together. If needed, just reply and ask. ALSO, 0 means that the opponent or target will be damaged at the end of the turn, so a 1 would mean the opponent would be damaged at the end of the next turn, and so on. As for double types, you simply add the two numbers together and divide by 2, and decimals are rounded up. EX: Salamence=(4+2)/2=3 turns after the initial turn. An exception to this is that any part fire types make it 0, no matter what.
Creator: Jirachan
Name of the attack: Ground Pound
PP: 15
Accuracy: 95
Pokemon that can learn it: Venusaur, Blastoise, Nidoran (female), Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Nidoran (male), Nidorino, Nidoking, Mankey, Primape, Graveler, Golem, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Kangaskhan, Tauros, Meganium, Girafarig, Ursaring, Donphan, Larvitar, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Vigoroth, Loudred, Exploud, Aggron, Dusclops, Tropius, Metagross, Regirock, Groudon, Torterra, Infernape, Ramparados, Bastiodon, Rhyperior, Electrivire, Mamoswine, Regigigas
Effect: The user jumps up and down knocking over any matter up to 150 yards away. (No effect on Flying Types, also damamges all allies that do not fly.)
Creator: Secad
Name of the attack: Lash of Cuteness
Type: Fire
PP: 5
Accuracy: 85
Pokemon that can learn it: Ratatta (Level 40), Raticate (Level 45), Togepi (Level 30), Togetic (Level 45), Togekiss (Level 60), Gallade (Level 60), Gardevoir (Level 55), and Ampharos (Level 55).
Effect: The user of this move first prances around, confusing the opponent with its cuteness and lowering their defenses sharply while raising the user's attacks sharply. Then, while stunned on the next turn, the user lashes out with a fire whip to hurt and burn the opponent severely.
Creator: Professor Noctowl
Name of the attack: Second Fighter
Accuracy: 80
Base Power: -
Pokemon that can learn it: Alakazam, Lucario, Medicham, Mew, Mewtwo, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Metagross, Mr.Mime, Hypno, Jynx, Gardevoir, Deoxys, Cresselia, Xatu, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Bronzong
Effect: The battling pokemon psychically communicates with another pokemon on your team, allowing that pokemon to double battle a single wild or trainer pokemon alongside with the battling pokemon.
Creator: Arceus Lord
Name of the attack: Drool
Accuracy: 80%
Base Power: --
Effect: If the move works, the opponent is distracted and forgets their next move.

And finaly this is the judging template, keep in mind if you have any questions about the contest or the criteria and such I am always available by PM.

Originality: Is the idea original? Does it seem fresah and new compared to what is currently in game. /20
Functionality: Is the idea functional for a gaming environment? Is it too complex for beginner players to comprehend? Is it to precise to really have an impact on battles? Does it go against the traditional battling way in sucha way that it would ruin competitive environments? /20
Balance: Is the move balanced? Does the PP ratio make a very strong move balance out since you cannot use it as often? Do the effects make that the pokemon who learn it will not destabilize the game in a way that would make playing any other pokemon meaningless. Does the move stop players from enjoying the game in general (this includes opponents.) /10

Last edited by a moderator:
My judgery verdict :)

Moon Sky - Shado

Originality - 12/20
I would have scored this higher, but its actually just another weather move. Its not something vastly new to the game, as it does have already Sun, Rain, Hail and Sandstorms. However, I do like the idea and I'm always a fan of users of the weather so I feel that this should be a good addition to any Pokemon game.

Functionality: 13/20
Its a move which would easily fit into the current battling scheme because it already has some similar versions of itself on the field already, such as Rain Dance or Sunny Day. I do think that it should be learned by many more Pokemon, on the downside. There are a lot of nocturnal Pokemon which should have it, such as Hoothoot or Oddish, and Lunatone should definitely have it for obvious reasons :p

Balance: 10/10
I've said it before in this, its already very well embedded in the battling community with its weather altering brethren, so I don't feel that it would have a negative effect in battles because its neither completely overpowered or useless. Hence, my full marks.

Total: 35/50

Other comments:
The name really aught to be something like Nightfall though :p

Final Shadow - Shocari

Originality: 9/20
I feel that its just a combination of Dark Pulse and Giga Drain (I think, he hasn't actually made it clear whether it is draining or not), for an Absol. Not much else to say from my view.

Functionality: 17/20
Contrary to my opinion above, the move is actually very solid. It won't break the game in any sense because I feel that a competitive battler would pick Sucker Punch or Night Slash over it every day. Its also very simple. A special attack, with a flinch chance and a possible HP drain.

Balance: 5/10
A lower score here, if I compare it to the other draining moves. Its nearly half again as strong as Drain Punch or Giga Drain, plus it has a Flinching chance. This makes it one of the best Draining moves out there, and I think that it should be brought into balance with the other draining moves.

Total: 31/50

Flash Fire - GodlessM

Originality: 16/20
The move is new to the Fire Type genre, so to speak. They don't have many Physical moves, and no priority ones either. It fills a gap in their arsenal.

Functionality: 14/20
I think the move should have a little less power, or more chance of lowering the users Attack. I feel that I would see a lot of Battlers afraid of the Flare Blitz type attacks use this, and its actually a very solid move so I think it should at least be tested in a gaming environment to see how it works.

Balance: 8/10
I do think the move is very balanced. Not many Fire Types are Physically based, and it also has the chance to lower the user's attack so its a risky double edged sword, which serves to balance the move (at least a little - I still feel it aught to be tested).

Total: 38/50

Floral Burst - Tangrow

Originality: 12/20
I like the idea of it, and I think it would be interesting. Though I can't draw myself away from the fact that its just an 'improved' Petal Dance...

Functionality: 5/20
I feel its a very complex move, which I think would actually break a lot of battles. People would be swapping out their Blastoise from Sudowoodo for Pete's sake, just to avoid getting their poor Blastoise trapped in battle for three consecutive Attacks.

Balance: 3/10
As I said above, I hate to think it, but I think it would break many battles. I said the rest of my thoughts in the Functionality class.

Total: 20/50

Ground Pound - Jirachan

Originality: 5/20
From the description you gave us, I can see its another Earthquake with five less accuracy and five more PP.

Functionality: 17/20
Its definitely functional - its so close to Earthquake that we know how functional it is!

Balance: 6/10
Its an improved Earthquake, lets face it. I think most battlers would take five less accuracy for five more PP any day.

Total: 28/50

Lash of Cuteness - Secad

Originality: 9/20
Essentially, its definitely something new. A fire type for Rattata and Gallade? Yes please! :p However, further looking into it shows its a combination of many moves. Confuse Ray, Screech, Metal Sound, Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, a weaker than usual Flamethrower and I'm guessing a Fire-type Toxic as well?

Functionality: 7/20
I think it's a bit of an insta-kill move, to be honest. You confuse the opponent and change both Pokemon's stats around, then hit them on the next turn with a super-powered attack and at least a burn, more likely a toxic style burn. I can't see it being used in the battling community because I think it'll just be flat out banned.

Either that or everyone will have a Flash Fire ability user on their team just for this move :-\

Jeydis's description says that "the effects make that the pokemon who learn it will not destabilize the game in a way that would make playing any other pokemon meaningless" and "the move stop players from enjoying the game in general". I think that hits the nail on the head.

Total: 19/50

Second Fighter - Professor Noctowl

Originality: 20/20
Its never been done before, and its only for the Singleplayer game so I think it'll be a fun addition to try out. Especially for the Double Battlers, because they know how few and far between the double battling opponents are in the single player game.

Functionality: 7/20
A lower score here, it'd be interesting for it to have a secondary effect purely for the multiplayer battles and wifi matches. Asides that, I also think it should be in a TM that can be learned by everyone. That way you're not restricted to the high level psychic types always being in the battle.

It doesn't detract from gameplay in a sense because its only you on your own who will be using it. If you don't like it, you can quite easily avoid it. Hence, full marks here again.

Total: 37/50

Drool - Arceus Lord

Originality: 15/20
I feel its another version of Protect, only improved and balanced accordingly. Which I think is nice.

Functionality: 15/20
As I said above, its an improved yet balanced version of Protect and Detect. If you don't want to be Sub'd or Taunted, then you can use this instead of Protect. This'll make them fail their move, but it won't hit every time. I like it. It doesn't detract from those who prefer Detect or Protect, yet it won't rule those moves out either. Its down to personal preference.

Full marks here, its simple and obviously well thought out.

Total: 40/50

Phew! Done. And the first too! :D

Eh, I'm honestly not that great in terms of creativity, as shown my my art blocks =V

I like some of these entries, such as Arceus Lord's 'Drool' attack. I found it amusing to read XD

Moon Sky
Originality: 18/20
The idea isn't the most original I have seen, but it is something I would like to see added to the game. A counter part to sunny day for moonlight.
Functionality: 10/20
This is where this idea dissappoints a bit is that Umbreon should not be the only creature able to summon the night. It might be the Moonlight pokemon but that doesnt me it is the only being lurking in the dark. the addition of some more dark types and in general moonlight using and nocturnal pokemon would really help.
The idea is pretty balanced though the damage boost seems minor compared to the advantages of the other weather conditions.

Total: 36/50

Final Shadow
Draining moves are quite common but dark types have a lack of self support moves so its a nice twist on it.
It works very well and has a great PP ration, perhaps even too much. What makes the move shine is that if the opponent flinches then you can get another heal in and possibly another flinch and so on and so forth if your quite lucky. Crits of this would be crazy as well and with Super Luck thats not so hard to acheive.
Balance: 4/10
Here is where the trouble is, the move has too much potential to be game breaking and the only thing holding it back is the lack of diffrent pokemon that can learn it. Which I think most would agree is not much of a drawback. Flinching and draining can just be too strong in my opinion when put into one move.

Total: 33/50

Flash Fire
It is nice to see more fire type moves and a priority one at that. Though the ability itself seems a little like an awesome aerial ace.

Functionality: 18/20
The ability seems functional enough though the power is high enough that it may cause trouble.

The power and the fact that it is both a priority move and cannot miss seems rather relentless. A nice physical pokemon like Arcanine would make people cry with this thing. A proposal would be a severe drop in attack, or a better chance of it happening.

Floral Burst
It just oozes with originality.

That is where it hurts, the move does seem rather convoluted (yes, convoluted) for most players to calculate in a fast paced environment. New players wont like the move since they dont know how to control it as much and competitive players will be annoyed at the time spent calculating the damage dealt. The only moves that can compare to this one for complexity are Hidden power and Natural gift and even they pales in comparison. Though I like what I read on paper it does not seem that functional for people to figure out.

Balance: 6/10
The turns stuck do seem rather high when a simple speed advantage can doom any water pokemon to a losing type disadvantage fight.

Ground Pound
Originality: 5/20
Does seem rather bland and earthquake like. Even in the show mose EQ users jump up then down in the same motion.
Functionality: 20/20
just as funtinal as earthquake and other wide area of affect moves.
Balance: 7/10
Its a tweaked EQ and seems rather the same to me, i would say the opposite of Linkachu here in that I would rather the 5 accuracy of EQ to the additional PP.

Total: 32/50

Lash of Cuteness
Its original and gives fire moves where no one would expect them which I like, particularly in my normal types. The problem I find with the theme is that it is very random :S
Now the description is not quite as precise as I would like, does this move confuse the opponent? Does it actually make them flinch AND modifies the stats of both battlers? Overall it seems like too many effects are tacked on to this one.
Too much stuff going on in one move, with no drawbacks you get free hits on your foe while lowering their stats and boosting yours. All in one move :S

Total: 25/50

Second Fighter
Can't really compare this to the one other move of the type which is beat up.
Since it only affects ingame battles it seems very funtional though perhaps too strong for gyms and the likes where ganging up maybe all you need.
Hard to judge here since the move cannot be used for wifi play. For ingame balance it seems rather strong to me since alot of gyms don't go around using wide area moves like Surf so gagning up on the gym leaders pokemon would make it real easy to win.

Drool
Originality: 12/20
Its a sorta offensive protect or more usable Fakeout.
Would function jsut as well as the moves listed above. And since it deals no damage at all it would be balanced even if it hits more then once in a row. It would make a nice combo with Toxic and the likes.
Seems just as balanced as protect and its buddies, its a bit more erratic then protect but more fun too. Kinda wish you wouldve listed the pokemon who could learn it though.

Meh... don't know why this took me so long to get to, been pondering over it a lot though.

Anyways, let my judging commence! :3 (and yes I stole your format LoN because it was good >:3)

Moon Sky - Shado

Originality: 14/20
This is just another weather move, not something completely new. This fits in well with the whole weather move scheme nicely though (and a nice polar opposite to Sunny Day), and adds another option for your Pokemon.

Functionality: 11/20
This works just fine as a standard weather move, but I would have loved to see some secondary effects in there (like halving Psychic type moves or some such). But there really do need to be a lot more Pokemon that should be able to learn this, or at least be breed to learn this.

This really goes without saying, standard weather fare that we already know and love that doesn't make or break anything.

Final Shadow - Shocari

Originality: 14/20
When I first read through this, it just looked like an overpowered Iron Tail attack with a Dark type attribute now. But with the combination of the sheer amount of stuff it can do, plus it being a special attack, it turned out to be a rather interesting idea.

Functionality: 14/20
The move itself is fairly straight forward. I still don't understand why it is only an Absol only move, but it would work with the game mechanics.

Balance: 3/20
Sorry, but this move has entirely too much going on with it to be considered balanced. 100 base damage with a 30% Flinch chance plus HP draining ability? 85 accuracy does not offset that at all. With a bit of luck or the Wide Lens, this move could be devastating in the metagame.

Total: 31/50

Flash Fire - GodlessM

This attack brings something wholly new to the Fire type attack list, both priority and never miss in one bundle. This would fill a nice hole in the fire attack list.

Functionality: 16/20
This attack works fairly well in a metagame sense. It is straightforward in its explanation in what it does. Not knowing who has access to this attack is a tiny bit disconcerting, but other than that the only thing I can see wrong with it is the high attack power for both priority and never miss.

Balance: 4/10
I would love to give this a higher score, but it really is overpowered. It needs to either have the priority or the never miss part removed, or it needs a dramatic drop in power and PP. Looking at similar moves, this has an advantage over them in almost every way. This would more than likely break the metagame for some people with proper usage.

Floral Burst - Tangrow

Originality: 19/20
This was quite simple to figure out, there is nothing out there right now that even approaches what this move does. Quite inventive and unique idea on how to make it affect different types.

Functionality: 8/20
This would take an extraordinary amount of presence of mind to be able to calculate the proper turns that this move will take to execute. Most new players probably wouldn't understand this move at all, unfortunately.

With the PP and the unique turn based waiting game, the power and the accuracy both make sense here. Not that I would see a lot of people use this, but I don't see it breaking any kind of metagame.

Ground Pound - Jirachan

Originality: 4/20
Unfortunately this sounds almost exactly like Earthquake with more PP and slightly lower accuracy.

Functionality: 19/20
This works pretty much like Earthquake, so I don't see how it would be any different.

Balance: 9/10
Considering the metagame, the only reason I took off a point is the fact that there is 5 more PP in here, which gives it the slight edge over EQ.

Total: 32/50

Lash of Cuteness - Secad

This move is definitely got a lot going for it. Very interesting combination of stuff that happens.

I really do want to give more points here, but this really combos entirely too many effects together that you would normally need at least two pokemon to normally set up, each taking multiple turns. It is simple enough in game terms in what it does, but it has too much happening for it to really be functioning properly in a game.

Balance: 0/10
As much as I love the descriptors, this sounds like instagibbing. Too much is happening here for it to properly be considered for the metagame, lots of effects combo'd together into one move make it entirely too overpowered. This would break the metagame.

Total: 20/50

Originality: 19/20
I love the idea of being able to create a double battle situation where there normally wouldn't be, and on your terms instead of because you got cornered by two silly trainers or it was already a double battle.

This would work wonderfully in the single player experience, but would wreak havoc on any type of multiplayer experience. It is fairly straight forward in what it does, but I am curious if the move would simply fail if you are already in a double battle or if something else might happen.

This gives the potential to absolutely plow through another team, no matter if it is the single player or wifi experience. 2v1 is a good thought, but totally unfair when you think about it.

Total: 29/50

Drool - Arceus Lord

Very interesting look at a new version of Protect. Like an offensive version. Very intriguing.

Works pretty well with what we have going on normally. It gives another option if you don't like the idea of Protect and want to actively make your opponent not do any damage to you. I find this would be absolutely hilarious on a Stall Pokemon. :3

Well thought out and nicely balanced with its accuracy. Very nice thought on an offensive Protect without totally being able to shut down the opposing side.

Total: 44/50

Just as a final thought, don't be so stingy on who can learn a move. Making it available to only one or a tiny fraction of the gaming environment does make it unique, but then it also looks very much like favortism towards a preferred Pokemon. Think of new and exciting moves that would work well for lots of different types or at least a much broader cross section of the almost 500 unique Pokemon that exist in the game. ^^

You stole my format :o

Interesting how Shado, so far, has gotten nearly exactly the same score from us all :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Finally~! Done! (And at 1:13 AM XD)

I feel like I went too hard on some people, but there you have it. I probably won't be able to judge in any future contests, so hopefully my remarks count for something this time 'round XD

*Note: I must apologize to Prof. Noctowl for not fully understanding his move (I meant to ask but didn't get around to it). Knowing more of the specifics may have altered my overall image of the move, though my balance grading would probably have remained unchanged.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Moon Sky - Shado
Originality : 15/20

While it's not wholly original due to being a new weather effect, the changes it puts into play are very original. Giving an extra 1.5% damage to all Dark-type moves is an interesting bonus, as is halving the power of Solar Beam/boosting Thunder's accuracy slightly. The affects on Moonlight vs. Synthesis also make perfect sense, though the lack of Morning Sun being mentioned here seems like a bit of an under sight.

Functionality : 14/20

While this move does have potential to be very useful (for both single and double battles), the lack of Pokemon who can learn it seems odd compared to the numbers who can learn the other weather-based attacks. Possibly this wouldn't be the case if the move was a TM or Tutorable, but with the detail given this area could use improvement.

As far as balance goes, it seems very balanced. Standard amount of PP for weather attacks, effects that could be very interesting for Dark-type Pokemon and those using Dark-type attacks, and nothing too major that would unbalance the game.

Total: 39/50

-----------------------------------------------------

Final Shadow - Shocari

Originality : 17/20

This is interesting because, while it is another HP draining attack, its base power, accuracy, and extra effects really set it apart from the others.

Functionality :15/20

On the basis of function, this attack is not too difficult to understand or too precise to be used properly. What strikes me odd about it, however, is that Absol is the only Pokemon to learn it. Not only does it seem like an over-powered attack for a non-legendary Pokemon, the fact that it's based on the Special Attack stat doesn't really fit Absol's stats this generation. All in all, it seems a bit out-of-place.

Balance: 2/10

Even with the 85% accuracy, this is not a balanced attack. It has too many PP for the damage it can pull off STAB'd, and having both HP draining AND 30% flinch rate is overkill. Compared to attacks of a similar nature, it completely dwarfs them in multiple ways. It's an interesting idea, but really not something I'd want to see in standard competitive play.

Flash Fire - GodlessM

Originality : 17/20

Like the previous two attacks, Flash Fire borrows ideas from pre-existing attacks but adds its own spin to them. Having both priority and the inability to miss is something new, as well as it being part of the Fire element.

Functionality : 18/20

There is really nothing dysfunctional about this attack (aside from the fact that it seems overpowered). It's easy to understand, easy to use, has straight-forward effects and secondary effects, and doesn't really go against traditional battling elements. We may not know which Pokemon can learn this attack, but hopefully that would mean multiple Fire-types could make use of it. Rapidash, Infernape, and Arcanine would eat this attack up.

This is where it loses points. Having a priority Fire-type attack is nice, and 75 base power, 15 PP, and a 10% chance of the users Attack lowers make it somewhat balanced. What breaks it is the fact that on top of all of this, it can not miss. Extreme Speed, a priority Normal-type attack, has 5 PP and 80 base. It can not hit anything SE, can not damage Ghost-types without specific conditions met, and has a couple of resistances. Flash Fire can priority hit multiple types SE (albeit with a few more resistances) AND never misses, not to mention has x3 times the PP. The 10% chance of lowering stats is an issue, but not an overly large one all things considered. I can see certain Pokemon heavily abusing an attack like this.

Floral Burst - Tangrow

Originality : 20/20

Full points here. This attack is about as original as they come.

Functionality : 6/20

Not full points here. While wholly original, Floral Burst fails at being an overly complicated attack with a turn system that does not seem to properly fit with a Pokemon-gaming perspective. Players without an actual table in front of them would have trouble remembering the amount of delay each type receives before taking damage from this attack. I think it's certainly functional in that it doesn't break game mechanics - it's just far more convoluted than necessary.

Balance: 7/10

I think the 5 PP and accuracy/power of this attack definitely makes it balanced, it just might not see much usage by newer players due to its complicated nature (or veteran players for that matter). Still, for people who took the time to master it, the move could be useful in a competitive setting.

Total: 33/50

Ground Pound - Jirachan

Originality : 5/20

There is little that sets this apart from Earthquake, which is already a widely-learnable TM attack.

Functionality : 16/20

A straight forward attack that doesn't break any current competitive elements due to basically being another EQ with more PP and 5 less power. As far as functionality goes it's certainly functional, but also rather redundant.

Balance: 9/10

As I said above, it's EQ with more PP but less power. It does not destabilize anything in particular, but its similarity to EQ makes it seem rather plain (which could see it largely ignored by players who already utilize EQ in their move sets).

Total: 30/50

Lash of Cuteness - Secad

Full points for creativity here. It certainly is something different from any attack we've ever seen before it.

Functionality : 10/20

Erm… This is a tricky one. While we do have many dual-turned attacks, none of them have ever given completely different status conditions on two separate turns as part of the same attack. Lash of Cuteness isn't difficult to understand due to its straight-forwardness once the attack has been chosen, but what it actually does breaks traditional battling elements. It has far too many different effects for a single attack.

This attack breaks competitive battling. On the surface, 5 PP and 85 base power might seem balanced, but all of its various effects are incredibly overkill. 100% accurate confusion, burn, and defense lowering for the opponent while doing damage second turn AND raising the users own attack-stat - just far too much.

Total: 30/50

Completely, 100% original. Full points.

Functionality : 8/20

Easy to understand? As easy as doing a double battle. Straight forward? Totally. Functional in a battling environment? Not completely. Going against traditional battling in such a way that could ruin competitive battling environments? Very muchly so. As fun and original an idea this is, it rather destroys competitive battling environments. There are also a few specifics not given, such as how it effects double battles, if it lasts multiple turns, etc.

This attack completely breaks single battling and would destabilize competitive battling in a bad way. Pulling double battle elements into a single battle would be such a large advantage for the user that it would either be heavily abused or banned entirely from competitive play.

Total: 28/50

Drool - Arceus Lord

Originality : 14/20

It's like a Flinch-inducing attack, only with flinching being its main effect. Intriguing to say the least, like an offensive Detect/Protect technique.

Functionality : 20/20

Fairly straight forward, easy to use, and doesn't really break any battling elements since we already have many flinch-inducing attacks or those that protect a Pokemon from taking any damage during a turn.

10 PP is fair for an attack of this nature, but 80% is not overly low for an attack that could intentionally make an opponent lose its turn AND do it repeatedly in a row. Still, assuming the move would be dependent on the Speed stat this would only be effective at certain times, making it more balanced overall.

Total: 42/50

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your time in judging these great ideas. I will cummulate the scores later tonight and declare our winner and also blow the dust off my diamond game for some crazy breeding time :D

Here you go guys the winner of the first ever creativity contest is...

Arceus Lord with his attack idea, Drool!

A big congrats to Arceus lord for his simple yet ingenious idea. Send me your pokemon breeding request by PM and I will work on it over the next few weeks. And LoN if your reading this please cook up one of your lovely signatures for our winner!

Here is the scoretable:

Moon Sky: 35, 36, 35, 39 = 36.25

Final Shadow: 31, 33, 31, 35 = 32.5

Flash Fire: 38, 38, 36, 38 = 37.5

Floral Burst: 20, 36, 35, 33 = 31

Ground Pound: 28, 32, 32, 30 = 30.5

Lash of Cuteness: 19, 25, 20, 30 = 23.5

Second Fighter: 37, 38, 29, 28 = 33

Drool: 40, 38, 44, 42 = 41​

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
He won by, like, a landslide. XD

But it was a very good idea. Drool; really sounds like something they should put in Gen. 5 Pokemon games or something. I can totally see it in battle, and the move debutting in the anime...

Still, good job, all the contestants. And remember, if you didn't win this time, there's still next time. ^^

Nice entries to all of you contestants, and congrats to AL for the win :)

And LoN if your reading this please cook up one of your lovely signatures for our winner!

You're very subtle with all of this, aren't ya :p *Toddles off to find AL*

:o

Seriously?

I came up with it to match one of the Pokemon I made, Drowl. He's a big, white blob. XD And, unfortunately, I have yet to get my DS hooked up to Wi-Fi... So I gladly pass on the breeding to GodlessM, who I believe is the 2nd place winner.

I didn't think I'd win, and that's why I didn't think of asking my Uncle to hook it all up... Sorry. :-\

But I'll accept the signature, though. :D

-AL

Status
Not open for further replies.