• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open *Journey to Oregon City [Discussion]*

FroakiesFrubbles

Previously pokeyman
I know this idea seems weird, but stick with me. Let's set the scene. It's March 31st, 1836. Many people are packing wagons in Independence, Missouri. They're packing to set off on a hard, treacherous journey, but the reward for surviving it all is great. You'll reach Oregon City. There will be many open plots of land to purchase, and you might find a little gold there as well. The journey takes months, traveling through grasslands, deserts, mountains, and all sorts of terrain. Disease is merciless, and many died out on the trail. Could you survive?

RP THREAD (MAKE SURE TO BE ACCEPTED BEFORE POSTING):
https://pokecharms.com/threads/the-journey-to-oregon-city.18234/

Makes sure to read these before posting:
  • Remember, this is 1836. Modern medicine or tools do not exist yet. Your party will be traveling in a wagon filled with stuff, not a bus, plane, car, etc. For example, if you were bitten by a snake, you couldn't just whip out antivenin. Most people at this time used a tourniquet, and sucked the poison out. (People didn't realize that was bad for you
  • Try to be realistic. You can't magically cross a raging river in a rainstorm, while fighting a snake.
  • If you don't know locations and whatnot, find a map to use.
  • When crossing rivers, you can ford the river, or pull the wagon across while still attached to the oxen (best for small and shallow waters), or caulk the wagons and float (better for deeper and longer rivers.)
  • If you die, don't worry. You can start again back from Independence, or as a party that has reached about where you were.
  • Follow all PokeCharms rules at all times.
I guess we'll all be in one wagon. You can only be one person. We'll start with around 4-ish people.
Name:
Appearance (Optional):
Personality (Optional):
Other:

Any questions? Post them here, and I'll answer them.

Last edited:

FroakiesFrubbles

Previously pokeyman
Cool. OOPS, forgot my character. I'll put it here.
Edit: .....
YOU DELETED IT...
:(

Name: James White
Money : $800
Appearance: James is tall, but not that tall. He has blond hair, and green eyes.
Personality : Persevering, but sort of lazy. Nervous about the journey ahead, as the wild trails are much different than his estate back home.
Other: James has already gone through a lot of traveling. He went on a month-long trans-atlantic boat trip from England to the East coast, then travelled to Independence. He's waited to have enough people to journey with. James was born into a rich family, and used to live in a large estate in the countryside of England.
Medical Condition Note (You don't need to put this): James recently suffered from a severe case of Pneumonia while crossing the Atlantic on a ship. Because medicine wasn't that good back then, James is a little weak. He couldn't turn back, as that would be too expensive, even though he was rich.

I'm going to create the actual RP thread, but don't post on it yet.

Last edited:
Name: Delilah Atkins
Money Starting With ($200-$1000): $245 (Averaging to about $6,000 today- dunno why I needed to include this but I felt a need to.)
Appearance (Optional): Delilah is very obviously from a poor family, judging by her clothes, which are dingy and way too tight, and her disheveled appearance. The young woman is short, around 5'3, and has brownish-blonde hair that is wavy and frizzy and a mess and rests just at her chin (she cut it due to how high-maintenance it was). Her eyes are bright and a very dark, almost forest deep green, and her pale complexion is dotted with freckles.
Personality (Optional): Delilah's pretty socially awkward, and isn't too quick to jump into social situations. She's adventurous- highly curious- which led her to her love for travel. She hates the idea of staying in one place, and is pretty spur-of-the-moment but at the same time pretty analytical. She's clumsy, and forgetful, but in a way that's lovable.

Really excited for this, it looks like a ton of fun :0

FroakiesFrubbles

Previously pokeyman
I hope it will be fun. However, we need a bit more people to actually start out on the trail, but we can still RP in Independence. My character, James, is in a general store right now. :)