• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Jobs

Okay... As we all know, at one point in our lives (unless we are an heir to vast fortune - which most aren't) we have to work for a living.
We work to get clothing, food, shelter, or to just buy ourselves simple pleasures.

*cough*POKEMON*cough*

>.>
.>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Funny that I'm answering this on the fly, or else I'll be late for my actual job XD

What is your job?
What is your dream job?
Is your current job worth the effort?
If unemployed, where are you trying to get work at?
If you are not old enough to work yet, what are your feelings when you think about finding your first job?

I just recently started at my job, but it's a full-time, permanent position on a medical nursing unit until I receive my RN certification later this year. At the moment I'm only receiving GAR pay (Graduate Awaiting Registration), but it's enough to satisfy me after a life of either no-pay or low-pay summer jobs.

Dream job? Something relating to animals - maybe a field researcher - or astronomy related. Either would put a smile on my face.

Is my current job worth it...? Were these five, long years of hell at University worth it?!

For the moment... yes. I definitely need the money, but I know I won't be at this location forever. It's a good place to start off on in order to increase my confidence levels, though, and I'm already familiar with the unit itself and the staff. Still... Being an RN is a lot of responsibility and stress, and I'm not sure if it's a proper fit for me. Chances are I'll make some money now until I feel secure, then decide where I want my working life to go and pursue it. Even if it's just getting my Masters in Nursing, I'm not just letting my education sit here. I need to keep striving for something in order to motivate myself.

And that's about it I guess ^^

Hoo Hah!

Erm, now thats out of the way I'll say a little about what I do.

I am currently unemployed, the only job I've ever really worked is that of a supermarket shelf stocker, which really wasn't all that bad. Walking around whist carting stuff and talking about music didn't really seem like work to me. Although I just can't deal with early starts.

But I hope my unemployedness will be allayed by my current study to become an Archaeologist. I guess this counts as my dream job too I guess. I have always wanted to do it. Pity it doesn't come with any sort of job guarantee though :-\.

Yeah, my current line of study seems worth the effort, just not the gigantic loan I'll have to pay back...

Well, currently im juggleing a job and school, I work at a dentist office, cleaning the machines and what-not, minimum wadge, but its fine with me, my dream job? i never really thought of that... and will have to get back to you on that ...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I work a slave's wage at Tesco supermarket. It's an alright job most of the time as the shop's really small so I just get to fuck around and have a laugh most of the time, but the pay's shite.

Aside from that i'm practically a full time web designer/administrator as is running this place - which may or may not finally end up making me profit, we'll have to see a few months down the line.

I'm not sure what my dream job would be exactly, I'd love to write for one of the UK Ninty mags, but I'd also love to make a living off my web design stuff too. It's a pretty tough road either way though. :/

Dunno if I count, since I'm in high school, but I've worked before. ^_^;;

Currently I'm unemployed (I don't work during the school year...unless you count homework and studying - which I should be doing now), but last summer I worked part-time at my mother's company. I was usually in the shipping room shipping one of their products (I could listen to music while I packaged, so that was cool), but I also QA'd the orders, did some credit card bill-filing-stuff, and other odd jobs they needed. They pay was okay...but meh. I did it while doing summer school for an annoying graduation requirement I didn't want to waste a class period on during the year.

This summer I'm going to be a day camp counselor for elementary school-aged kids. I did the same set of camps when I was little, and I volunteered as a science camp assistant for the past three years. This was the first year I could be eligible to apply...and I got accepted as the "floater". So I'm going to be assigned to whichever camp needs me that day/week...but nya, I only get one week of vacation. Plus I'm going to have a lot of homework...^_^;;

But I'll get money...

Anyway, I don't know my dream job, yet. I guess it might be fun to be a successful novelist, but those are few and far between. I don't think I have the talent/ambition/time management skills to be a novelist. ^_^;;; Actually, if I could write manga that would be perfect, since I often visualize scenes before I write them...but I don't think there are any successful manga authors, especially in the US. I guess if I was a successful novelist, I could branch out into manga...but then again...yeah. I wouldn't be successful. >_<

Other than that, I'm not sure. A realistic dream job might be to do something with languages. Ever since I started taking Japanese, I've been loving it. I want to take so many more languages - I definitely want to take another one in college (probably Mandarin, Korean, Cantonese, Italian (actually, no), or Arabic...most likely Mandarin), maybe two, as well as continue with Japanese (like do literature or something). I also want to study abroad in Japan so badly, even if the credits get really out of whack!

Either that, or I want to be an English teacher in Japan for a little while. I hear that's doable...but I dunno. I've heard bad things about living in Japan, so I dunno...^_^;;; I'm just too young to think of a dream job. XD

Persain: This topic is for all, so of course you count.
^ ^

And I have to agree with you on languages and studying abroad in Japan. I want to be a interpretor so badly, specializing in Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Arabic, Mandarin, and a few others...
I have taken only one Japanese class (though taught myself for four years), had multiple Spanish and French classes, I know a little Mandarin (A girl from China lived with me), Polish(over half my family is, and my grandmother spoke it fluently), Russian (similar to Polish in some areas), Ukrainian (same as Russian), Italian, German, Hungarian (though I use to be fluent but forgot it all after not speaking it for a while), Thai, and Korean.... Though in the speaking sense, not writing (sad to say).

I think if I could find a job doing languages and art (possibly advertisement???) I would be in love. ^ ^

I'm only 13 so I don't have a job.

But, in the future I want to be in Americas Armed Forces. I'm thinking about Coast Guard or Marines. I haven't really decided what I'm gonna do for like a small job when I'm 16.

I'm a full-time student, finally graduating from college this semester after five years. At a two-year college. -_-;

I've had a couple jobs. My first one was as a seasonal worker at a video game store last December. Mainly, I just reorganized the mechandise on the shelves and occasionally answered questions from customers. It was an okay job, just the kind of tedium I liked, and the people were fun to work with. You'd think they'd need me to work on Christmas Eve, but they didn't give me any shifts that week. Or any week after that, for that matter. I can't say I was fired, per se, but I no longer qualified for the employee discount when I preordered Diamond.

My second job was as a courtesy clerk at SafeWay. I bagged groceries, gathered loose carts in the parking lot, and swept the store. Not bad, except I had to wear black shoes and I only owned this one old pair that made my feet hurt so much that eventually it was impossible to walk once I got home. The reason I quit, though, was because I didn't have the time to do my homework. So now I have all the time I need to ignore my assignments.

I'm not sure what my dream job is. If I had to choose something specific, either a video game designer or an author. I'd still need more education to become a game designer, working like 80 hours a week, but I do have an idea for a game, and getting published is hard, especially in this market, but I've written a lot for a book based on my game idea. If I could be vague, then any job that would allow me to be a man of leisure, making enough to live comfortably and pretty much doing whatever I wanted. Maybe I'll try for a job at GameStop again...

What is your job?
I only have a part-time job at a grocery store stocking shelves (sounds fun, and no... I won't bad your groceries).

What is your dream job?
My dream job is what I'm going into University for, and that's to become a social worker.

Is your current job worth the effort?
Despite people thinking that my job may suck, and they have every reason to, seeing as I only making minimum wage, I love it. The people I work with are all extremely funny, and it's rather laid back, which is a huge pro in my books.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I have no job at the moment, since I'm far too lazy, and school bogs me down with tons of homework. I'd love to work as a freelance artist, but I don't think I'm good enough for that yet... Realistically, though, I want to teach maths. Yes, I'm mad. I just love maths, since you can always be sure of the answers as long as you've got the method right (apart from statistics and probability, but that's... Ugh. I just hate it). Maths for the sake of maths rocks. ^^

But I'll probably spend more time drawing, practising, blah. Since that's what I do to relax and all. ^^"

Math is an interesting subject... But it is only assumed all things are "you can always be sure of the answers as long as you've got the method right"...

You are talking to a girl, who was on an acedmic team, with her Math teacher as the coach, and for fun we talked how 3/3 is NOT equal to 1, nor is 6/6, 9/9, etc....
Example: 1/3 = .333333(and goes on forever)
Now, if you add another 1/3 it equals .66666(forever)
Adding one more would be .999999(forever) and that equals 3/3.
^ ^
*off topic in her own thread, shall try to go back course*

I have considered becoming a teacher, but I don't think I can do it.
My mother is a teacher, an excellent one at that (she wins awards yearly, from our state and national for her teaching), and I see how stressful it can be. You don't get paid for those off the clock hours, and most of them are off the clock. Such as grading homework, preparing tests, etc.... And there are so many rules and regulations on a teacher, it's ridiculous...

Hmm...
But yeah, I am getting a second job. Even if it might kill me, I need the money..
So I am applying to be a cashier at a grocery store, or working closing at a taco Bell... Or anything else I can get.
^ ^;;;

Whats up guys, I figured this would be a pretty good topic to post for the first time. I currently work at Circuit City, I am a PC Salesman/ PCTechnican. I currently attend college where Im working on a computer networking degree. 22 years old, blah blah blah. My dream job would probley be like a high school baseball coach or something, i used to play baseball until knee injuries kept me from playing in college, and i recently started coaching little league and I love it, so I def. wouldn't push that route of the picture.... =)