• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Japanese release date made official; English name of new item

The September 26, 2006 release date that's been hanging around the internet for the last week or so has been confirmed, which means that there's barely THREE MONTHS to go! Woo! Probably nobody remembers, but a long time ago I tried predicting the release dates based on past patterns and came up with this:

Japan: September 20, 2006 (February 20, 2008 for third version)
North America: October 26, 2006 (September 14, 2008 for third version)
Europe: May 18, 2007 (August 22, 2008 for third version)

Six days off. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Of course, now I can't wait to see how the rest of my predictions turn out.

Second bit of news: and English announcement by Nintendo has also yielded the name of the Pokétchi in translations, which is "Pokétch," a combination of 'Pokémon' and 'watch'. It doesn't sound SO bad when pronounced out loud, but the spelling lacks the cuteness of the Japanese (which, technically, is the exact same thing: watch in Japanese is wocchi).

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The September 26, 2006 release date that's been hanging around the internet for the last week or so has been confirmed, which means that there's barely THREE MONTHS to go! Woo! Probably nobody remembers, but a long time ago I tried predicting the release dates based on past patterns and came up with this:

Japan: September 20, 2006 (February 20, 2008 for third version)
North America: October 26, 2006 (September 14, 2008 for third version)
Europe: May 18, 2007 (August 22, 2008 for third version)

Six days off. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Of course, now I can't wait to see how the rest of my predictions turn out.

Second bit of news: and English announcement by Nintendo has also yielded the name of the Pokétchi in translations, which is "Pokétch," a combination of 'Pokémon' and 'watch'. It doesn't sound SO bad when pronounced out loud, but the spelling lacks the cuteness of the Japanese (which, technically, is the exact same thing: watch in Japanese is wocchi).

Source?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Read this.

If the release date is fact, I might have to blow off some of my Wii savings for D/P. Anyway, I would like to see a source of the information, because I don't see it anywhere else.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I already shot the date down as a rumour at BMGf last week. There was never a confirmed source then and I still haven't seen one.

Though, just because it's not confirmed and may not be real doesn't mean that it's not when we'll see D/P. Like QQ, that's exactly the window my eye locked on to as soon as the autumn date was announced.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I could agree with the September release in Japan, but October in North America? Wishful thinking there if you ask me. D/P will be more important releases than Mystery Dungeon and Ranger (meaning a smaller gap between translation times), but something tells me it's still going to be a late '06 (December at the earliest) or early '07 release here.

In this case, though, I'd love to be wrong ^^

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
D/P will not be released this year in English. I can guarantee that Ranger will occupy the slot at the end of the year, and a single month to translate a full RPG = LOL.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm banking on a March '07 release myself, but I could see it being a bit later (June/July maybe). I'm mostly crossing my fingers that it'll be out sometime before the end of next Summer :p

I've waited this long, so another year or so isn't going to kill me. I'm just dying to see what the new starters look like ^^

Don't get me wrong, I realize that DP is going to be longer than XD. However, I was just pointing out that it's not unheard of.

Of course, if I'm being unreasonably optimistic, I could say something about concurrent development, so that the games would be out at about the same time. ^^

If that is true and the american release date is only a month after japan, then i'll probably import an american version rather than get a japanese copy while im in japan. Still they are being very mean expecting England to wait 5 months longer than the US, we always get the raw end of the deal.

Woah, woah. Those dates in post 1 aren't the real ones, just the ones I spent a couple hours working out with my keen mathematical mind and love for statistics and charts. It is possible that an official English version will be out sometime before spring, though, and if you're an English-speaker from anywhere outside North America, I wouldn't recommend waiting for your own version. ;)

The gaming stores and shit have given 9/28 as the release date for Diamond. Its even on GameFAQs. So yar >.>

You guys prolley know all this, I'm always the last to find things out but yar.. ^^

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Hrm, according to PokemonElite2000.com, the US release date for Diamond and Pearl is Spring 07. Well, not really a release date... but you can expect them around March, I believe. Just like Ruby and Sapphire.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Actually, it's likely the games will be released earlier than R/S - R/S hit Japan a full 2 months later than D/P will be.

There IS the fact that the Wii will tax the localisation teams a bit more than usual, but the ones that work on the Pokemon games seem to work generally exclusively on it. At least, the translation director - known only as "Nob" only does the Pokemon games these days.

A January release in America isn't unfeasible, February is extremely likely. March on the other hand is a bit late. Though It's certainly the first opening I can see for a possible European launch.

With any luck they'll do an Fr/Lg deal here where we get the game a mere month after the US (And not an R/S/E deal where the games take forever). Not that it matters that much to me as I'm importing an American copy of Diamond - but it does have other influences on the site.

I sure hope the Wii doesn't make us get the games later...-_- *holds plastic spork to Wii translation teams threateningly*

But I agree with Dr. Oak-san...February seems very likely. It's only about a week or so off of exactly four months, and I don't think they'd want to extend the release date to March or later, since these games are getting more hype than the other Pokemon games, and they'd have angry fans.

I personally want the end of that week in January where I have finals to be when it comes out...either on Thursday or Friday. That way, I don't have to worry about studying or homework, and will have a three day weekend where I can just play. Heheh.

But that seems like only wishful thinking...^_^;;

This just confirmed! The unofficial release date for the American version of diamon/pearl is supposedly 4-6 months after the release of the japanese version. Seeing as Kimishiro doesn't plan on getting the game until 3months after the US release because he hates to be rushed, this means that....well.. it means nothing.

I hope the Wii fecks up the D/P release BIG time. People aren't made of money and nintendo realizes that with their affordable products(compared to other consoles anyways). So lets hope the wii has some awesome games.. and D/P doesn't come out until May when Kimi can afford it. =)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Wii will have been out a good 3 months at least by the time D/P comes out. ANYONE should be able to recoup the money after that - especially with Xmas in between.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Aye. If you were desprate enough by that point you could easily sell off one or two of your Wii games to afford D/P ;)

No... For me, it's just this fall that's going to kill me. I was running over everything I plan to buy from now until new years day '07 and there's little to no way I'll be able to do it - not unless I pick up a part-time job or get a lot of extra cash with my loan (or my income tax return covers most of it). But meh. I could easily drop a few of them for the time being to afford to games that really count.

Putting off buying D/P? Not even an option.

Nuuuuuu! Kimi-san, don't make the games come out in May! I dun wanna have to wait 'till my birthday to get them...since May puts them in the "Persian can't buy anything because her birthday is too close" time period (which lasts for, like, two months T_T).

Make them January! ON THE DAY I END FINALS! SO I CAN BUY IT IN THE EARLY AFTERNOON AND HAVE A LONG WEEKEND TO PLAY IT WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT HOMEWORK OR STUDYING! >_<

See...I don't have a problem with spending money...I have a problem with hoarding it. I never really buy a whole lot...so then I have too much money, which makes it a problem if my wallet gets stolen. So I can definitely afford a game in January/February...since I'll be making sure I get a DS Lite for Christmas! And maybe Ranger or MD (maybe Trozei) so I don't have to buy 'em myself.

So...for me...the sooner the better! SO COME OUT SOONER, OH MIGHTY DIAMOND AND PEARL! DON'T LISTEN TO KIMI-SAAAAAN! *waves flag*

Edit: *bows* Gomen, Kimi-SAN.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
See...I don't have a problem with spending money...I have a problem with hoarding it. I never really buy a whole lot...so then I have too much money, which makes it a problem if my wallet gets stolen.

Ever thought of opening a bank account? ;)

Ever thought of opening a bank account? ;)
Nah, I got one already. It's just kinda far away...it takes awhile to get to the bank, and it takes awhile once we're there. It's better if I just spend the money.

That's why I like to get my friends and family nice gifts for their birthdays. It makes me spend a chunk of my money. ^_^;;

And spring quarter is technically from March-May, right? But, like Dr. Oak-san said already...doesn't March seem a bit late for a (most likely) high-priority set of games coming out in late September? Late January or February seems more likely to me...@_@

Plus...I don't wanna have to wait until March! I got a three-day weekend near the end of January...and a whole weekend off in February! I want these games at least out by that last week before that week off in February! >_

Thats Kimi-san to you!

Anyhoo... May is a good release date. My birthday is May 1st, so one of you could buy it for me.

Lets give three cheers for a May release! =o

And yeah, I'm getting a 360 today, and am still saving for a Wii and suchs.. I feel like Katikins. @-@ too many wants but not enough dough. Its crazy, I'm making more money than I ever have before and I'm still not getting enough. >xD Could be that $460 monthly car payment, I'unno. That combined with insurance only leaves me $100 spending money a week.

Where is it all going???

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No, let's b00 a May release. Very much so ^^

If you're buying a 360, no complaints from you about cash problems for D/P. Just bank $40 now and leave it there. It's worth it :p

And oiii. I said I could wait until next year for the games, but after hearing about the Co-op Underground stuff I can't contain my excitement. Even this Global Trade center sounds awesome. With the amount of people who'll be using it you'll be able to get any Pokemon you want ^^ ... minus maybe Legendaries ^^;

No, let's b00 a May release. Very much so ^^

If you're buying a 360, no complaints from you about cash problems for D/P. Just bank $40 now and leave it there. It's worth it :p

And oiii. I said I could wait until next year for the games, but after hearing about the Co-op Underground stuff I can't contain my excitement. Even this Global Trade center sounds awesome. With the amount of people who'll be using it you'll be able to get any Pokemon you want ^^ ... minus maybe Legendaries ^^;
I AGREE WITH KATIE-SAN! >_<

b00 the May release, cuz I'd have to wait 'till my birthday!

ch33r for a hugely unlikely DECEMBER RELEASE! *panics*

Or at least...a before-that-week-in-February-that-I-have-off release, at the very least. X3

But either December or after finals in January...-_-