• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

It'sa me! Marty-o!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Wow. I've owned Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door since shortly after it was first released and only started seriously playing it today :p

I blame the M&L games for getting me interested in it. After beating Partners in Time awhile back I returned to playing Superstar Saga, and after playing another 5/6 hours further in that I've started Paper Mario 2. Again. Not that my original save file for it was any decent length (27 minutes. w00t). I'm now on the second chapter and have just gained the gang of punies. And something is bugging me big-time x.x

What the heck are these Stylish techniques or whatever they're called, and how do you do them? I stupidly spent 120 coins on a badge (at a time in the game where that much money is hard to come by) that supposedly shows you how to time them right but I still can't make sense out of it. I can get the standard Action Commands just fine but that's it. Am I too early in the game to properly use the Stylish moves or something? :X

Other than that... Who else has played Paper Mario 2, and what are some of the highlights I have to look forward to? The game itself is really purdy thus far (more pretty than I originally thought), and the music isn't half bad. I think I like the M&L games more, but Paper Mario makes hooking my GCN back up worth it ;D

Stylish moves increase the amount of star power you get after successfully nailing an action command. Every attack has a stylish command, save the Star Powers, and the badge flashes a picture of the A button or something when you need to press A to nail a stylish move.

Also, consider this post a placeholder until I'm actually motivated to write up my opinions of this game. :p

Some examples of stylish moves are doing a backflip after stomping an enemy, or pulling some fancy moves with your hammer. If I recall correctly, they're displayed as a yellow burst with an ! in it. The moves drive the crowd wild and your star power will fill up much quicker. Every partner has some, too, so keep that badge on until you've got the hang of all the different opportunities to pull off some stylish moves.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... Haven't seen any "yellow burst" yet, for any action. I ended up taking the badge off because it seemed pointless, but I'll probably stick it back on after my next level up. I can never catch up with my BP. There's just too many useful badges :(

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
One way to do it is to press A right after hitting your foe with your hammer. You should do a backflip. You can backflip up to three times too. Press A again right as you land from the last backflip. I have a harder time doing stylish moves while jumping, I usually do it when I'm not trying to, go figure. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh... wow. I'm getting it! XD

It took a bit of trail and error, but I've got the hammer stylish commands down pretty well now. I was doing them with Koops techniques, too. They're nothing special, but pretty easy and fun to pull off :)

I'm actually currently stuck in the game, but I'll figure it out sooner or later... One way or another... *shifty eyes*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bumping topic, 'cause I'm on fire >=)

Anyways, I'm now level 25 at Fahr Outpost after challenging the 100 battle trail thingy and giving up at the 90th floor. It wasn't that I was at the end of my ropes - I probably could've pushed through the last 10 floors if I'd wanted - but after getting so many level ups and so many awesome badges I just didn't feel like taking the risk. Best badge of 'em all? Increasing the amount of items you can hold from 10 to 20. I've wanted something like that for ages now @_@

The Zap badge is also fun, too, as is the badge that makes enemies miss Mario more often. Next time I take that challenge I'm going all the way >=D Anyone else take the time to beat it? After everything I've gotten thus far, I'd say it's worth it.

Now that I've played this much of the game (on the home-stretch now) I'm wondering why so many of my RL friends said that they didn't finish it (one out of boredom, another from getting stuck/bored). I haven't really been bored by it once yet o.O It's nothing ground-shaking, but it's like any Mario RPG. They're all pretty fun and enjoyable games with interesting locations and pretty good music. I'm willing to say that Paper Mario 2 is the best looking GCN game after Wind Waker. Everything's so vibrant and colorful. Super Paper Mario will no doubt look equally as prettiful, if not moreso.

So... This'll be another RPG I actually take the time to beat after leaving so many high and dry this gen. Funny thing is, the last one I beat before this was another Mario RPG XP

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'm just dissapointed that Super Paper Mario wont actually be an RPG... Anyway, Paper Mario 2 is very fun, I've beaten it twice. Get's more interesting as the end of the game nears...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not disappointed all that much because the idea of a Paper Mario platformer is great and should be lots o' fun. I just hope we see some Bowser-styled levels. Who didn't love those? ^^

And so, my final update on my Paper Mario 2 progress... BIG SPOILERSsss... But who actually hasn't beat this yet who wants to?

After going through the 100 battle challenge again and kicking teh bone dragon's bony behind (it hurt the foot x.O), then heading to Glitzville and taking back the Championship belt (which was a breeze... I'd been expecting a lot more :(), I finally got on with the game and played through to the end. The ending itself was a throw-back to the trend Earthbound started (showing everyone around the game-world cheering the heroes on), but that's alright. It's a trend I

Personally I find it bewildering that anyone can get that far on the 100-level challenge. I went down as far as level 90 so I could get the Lucky Day badge (anyone who's played the original PM will tell you what a lifesaver it is) - by that stage, I think I'd been in the caves for over 2 hours, and I'm still not sure how I survived.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
After the first run through the second time seemed a lot easier, and since I'd collected all the treasure already I used that puni to skip down five levels every chance I could.

It still probably was over an hour, though. Maybe two by the end of it. I just really loved battling in that game ^^;

Personally I find it bewildering that anyone can get that far on the 100-level challenge. I went down as far as level 90 so I could get the Lucky Day badge (anyone who's played the original PM will tell you what a lifesaver it is) - by that stage, I think I'd been in the caves for over 2 hours, and I'm still not sure how I survived.

I only made it to floor 37 (At least I think; it was a long time ago) when I played it. What's the Lucky Day badge do?

C

CSmonMaster

I died at the 89th floor... :'(
I was about to quit when I got to the 90th floor but I got killed by Arantulas...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It does get rather tough, but if you can bring yourself to play through it the way I did your levels should be high enough to make it through to the end. You may not even need to go through it twice, though. It just definitely helps boost you up a bit... and makes the rest of the game afterwards super easy XD

I have 1 more crystal star to go. But if you want to do the easiest stylish moves, use either PowerSmash or SpinJump.
With PowerSmash, the second you swipe the hammer against an enemy,press A.
With SpinJump, press A before Mario jumps.
And if you want a challenge, use Hammer Throw. Press A after you release the hammer, and Mario will do a flip.

You know what really made me think in Paper Mario 2? What happened to D-Down Jump? I know D-Down Pound was replaced by Peircing Blow(if I spelled that right). I miss the Paper Mario 1 Badges.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
O-o Clearly, given the fact you ressurected a thread from April 2007 and that this isn't the first time you've done so, you haven't read the rules and so aren't worthy of being here.

Off to the realm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.