1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Finally Happening! Pokémon to Receive a Live-Action Movie

1. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza
    Staff Member Administrator

Detective Pikachu.png
    It's happening!

After years of rumbles and debates surrounding the creation of a live-action Pokémon movie it's finally becoming a reality. Thanks to the tremendous success of Pokémon Go, the bidding wars to obtain the rights to film the franchise's first live-action movie came to a head when Legendary Pictures moved in for the kill. Now, for better or worse, the global entertainment company and the Pokémon Company have confirmed that a deal has been reached.

With production of the movie set to begin in 2017, the film will apparently not be based around the main series video games nor take inspiration from the Pokémon anime series. Instead, the star of Pokémon's first romp into the world of non-animated cinema will be Detective Pikachu. Yup. I wouldn't fault anyone for forgetting about the character as the 3DS game of the same name (released earlier this year in Japan) has yet to be confirmed for a western release, but maybe that will soon change thanks to this movie? Whichever the case, time to restart those debates over who'd make the best Detective Pikachu English voice actor.

The movie will be distributed by Toho Pictures in Japan and Universal Pictures internationally. No plot or character details - or anything else regarding the movie - have yet been revealed, but we'll let you know once more information has been shared.

Comments

Discussion in 'Pokécharms News' started by Linkachu, Jul 21, 2016.

1. alolatrainer
      alolatrainer
      I was wondering if they were ever gonna do this
    2. Teapot
      Teapot
      Maybe the internet will get its wish, and Danny DeVito will voice Detective Pikachu? One can only hope...
    3. Razpup
      Razpup
      Phew! I'm sure THIS won't be super edgy!
    4. Midnight Princess
      Midnight Princess
      Im really looking forward to this movie after seeing that article! I'm sure it will be a great movie!
      Linkachu likes this.
    5. Shiny Lyni
      Shiny Lyni
      DETECTIVE PIKACHU~ And only fitting that Katiechu wrote the article :'D

I'm actually pretty excited, not gonna lie. I'm not sure how well a live-action movie will fare since I'm so used to animated stuffs from Pokemon, be it the games or the anime, but I can't wait to see how they do with this~
    6. The Voltagonist
      The Voltagonist
      I'm now super curious who will be the lucky star that will become ever-more famous over taking the role of Detective Pikachu. I mean, it's a given that whoever it is, for good or for bad, they have a lot of fame coming for them once they fill the shoes. :)

On a different note, however, I'm personally hoping they slip in a cameo appearance of one of the English anime voice actors, preferably one of the original voices of Ash, Misty or Brock. :nom:
      ThatDamnEmu and Storybook like this.
    7. KoL
      KoL
      I'm never watching it and I will pretend it doesn't exist.
    8. ChungHa
      ChungHa
      Dang, I was hoping it would be based off the anime series or at least have human trainers battling and stuff :'| I just hope this one doesn't go as bad as the other anime live-action movies go
      Storybook likes this.
    9. TundraZap
      TundraZap
      WHY, OH WHY did Nintendo pick detective pikachu, SURE it's cute but idc, I wish they did the live action about EVERY SINGLE Pokemon EVER are being turned evil of something and ash and co have to stop them by capturing them or something badass
    10. Poke-Theorizing-101
      Poke-Theorizing-101
      A live action video game movie? this is going to be GREAAAAT. PREPARE FOR CRINGE!!!
      Golden Paws likes this.
    11. crazyone
      crazyone
      I'm just imagining Chris Pratt doing that raptor thing to a pack of Houndooms now
      Excalibur Queen and TundraZap like this.
    12. Andrewski
      Andrewski
      This has been a known fact for months. Try to keep up, mods :p
    13. Teapot
      Teapot
      The movie was announced this morning, so we're not exactly lagging. If you mean the Detective Pikachu game in Japan, we covered that back in February when it was announced.
      The iFlare, NonAnalogue and crazyone like this.
    14. NonAnalogue
      NonAnalogue
      I know everyone's hoping for Danny DeVito, but I've got my fingers crossed for Morgan Freeman.
    15. Poke-Theorizing-101
      Poke-Theorizing-101
      wat
    16. degar1
      degar1
      I really hope this isn't real especially after Dragon Ball
    17. Razpup
      Razpup
      However I wish it was something completely original, like pokemon talking. Not just Pikachu.
    18. Mr.Munchlax
      Mr.Munchlax
      I am both interested and horrified over this. While the Detective Pikachu movie sounds pretty good, I'm personally worried that this will eventually lead to a live-action movie based on the anime or the main game since I just know that a film like that is going to be absolutely terrible
    19. AipomBrothers
      AipomBrothers
      Cool! my dream come true! the new realistic movie released soon!
    20. Red Satoshi Ketchum
      Red Satoshi Ketchum
      See this thread about a live action Pokemon movie,me thinking about Dragon ball evolution and avatar the last air bender,I'm scared :(
    21. blue23 guyman
      blue23 guyman
      I have a bad feeling about this
    22. ExtinctGuisher
      ExtinctGuisher
      I have a very bad feeling that this is going to be terrible
    23. ChespinShinx
      ChespinShinx
      This is most likely going to be bad, but there is still a chance that it won't turn out so bad. Still … Prepared for the worst. :?
      Shrine likes this.
    24. The iFlare
      The iFlare
      ... Not sure how I feel about this... I'll probably skip out on this movie, honestly.
    25. PKMN Trainer Al
      PKMN Trainer Al
      I know The Internet wants Danny DeVito to voice Detective Pikachu, but I'm kind of hoping for Patrick Warburton.
    26. BenderBot
      BenderBot
      Hope its not like the other live actions...
    27. Darthpika
      Darthpika
      I would love a more serious one but I doubt they will make but I hope it's not terribly cheesy funny would be alright though.
    28. Trainer leo
      Trainer leo
    29. Trainer leo
      Trainer leo
      Hmmm intersting upsetting but intersting
    30. The Joker Ghost
    31. DutchPokeEmblemFreak
      DutchPokeEmblemFreak
      cool*waits for yw2 ywM2 and this*
    32. CelesteAydelotte
    33. _Umbreon_
      _Umbreon_
      Hey you never know, maybe it will live up to the legendary Mortal (Futile) Kombat movies
    34. CelesteAydelotte
    35. OnePiecefan11
      OnePiecefan11
      A video game based movie? That's gone so well before, right? *cough* super Mario bros. *cough* Mortal Kombat. Anyways, I can totally imagine Pikachu having Sherlock's voice.
    36. PokeKitty42404
      PokeKitty42404
      OMG!!:love::halo:<.>:-O!! I'm SO FREAKIN' EXCITED!! But WHAT THE WHAT!?!? Why does it have to be NEXT YEAR?!?!;_;@.@>=O!?!?
    37. DutchPokeEmblemFreak
      DutchPokeEmblemFreak
      *realizes he was not read the news *DANIII this IS AWSOME :o>=O
    38. PokeKitty42404
      PokeKitty42404
      I KNOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:halo::love:<.>:angel:;):)!!! OMG!! *screaming with glee* LOL!!:D!!
    39. nonybelle
      nonybelle
      I'm not so sure about this... a lot of animes have live action movies like Dragon Ball & Avatar: The Last Airbender & they weren't, let's say "the best movies ever". Hopefully this is a good one though, I'm looking forward to finding out. :blush: