• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

It's all in the name

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Do you give your Pokemon names? Some of us do, some of us don't. Some of us like to give our Pokemon funny names, or silly names, while others name them after Characters or 'things'. Do you just name your team, or do you think of a name for every Pokemon you catch? Here's where you can share your nicknames and how you go about choosing them.

So then, I myself name Pokemon that I use competitively (aka my main team and the substitutes). I also tend to name the team I play through the game with. Other than that, I don't name much else. I like to separate my team from the rest and the easiest way to do that is to personalise them with special names ♥

Team:
Manectric ~ Thunderdog
Sceptile ~ Amaranthus
Weavile ~ Empire
Dragonite ~ Zodiac
Vaporeon ~ Atlanta
Miltank ~ Cravendale

Subs:
Murkrow ~ Theia
Flygon ~ Apollo
Scizor ~ Paragus
Gliscor ~ Clang
Floatzel ~ Lutra

Most of mine are named after stuff that I either feel suits them, or relates to them in some way. An example would be Zodiac the Dragonite. As a Dragon, he needed a magical sort of name, or something to do with Mythology. I went with Zodiac, because I thought it was a nice blend of the two. I often look at Mythology for name ideas. Some of my names are sillyish, such as 'Clang' for Gliscor. I happened to see a clip from Hack# where he has an Iron Grunty or something. It kept saying 'Clang' all the time which made me laugh and thus I had to name the Pokemon I was training at the time after it XD

I just feel that nicknaming Pokemon makes them more personal. I actually did start a Nuzlocke challenge on Leaf Green but had to stop after I almost lost my Charmander to Brock. He just held on with 1HP. I'd named him Kevin, which was just me being silly, but I got stupidly attached to little Kevin and Ratus the Ratatta and the near death experience put an end to my challenge. I just can't take it :V

So yus, share your nicknames. And even if you don't name your Pokemon, you could always tell us why :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gosh I name most of the stuff I use, or even the stuff I think I'll use but never really do :D

My main team is:
Froslass - Tabatha
Mismagius - Toru
Bastiodon - Kasumi
Empoleon - Archimedes
Gyarados - Sophia
Tangrowth - Satoshi
Honchkrow - Isamu

Most of them are just named because thats what I feel fits at the time :p Like I never really considered I had the Japanese names of Ash and Misty, or the fact that I have a Toru just like us here at 'Charms (Even though I named mine first <<). I also realise there are seven there, I pick the top six for standard battling and I use any three that I feel like for the Battle Frontier.

The other team I usually use is my Mono-type Grass team, who also all have nicknames ^^ This team was mostly designed for fun, though I use it for battling in the 4v4 double battle mono-type stuff as well.

Grass team:
Jumpluff - Ceres
Roserade - Marluxia
Torterra - Hayate
Cradily - Yanmato
Exeggutor - Kokoro
Parasect - Honshu

Of those I tend to use either the top four or the bottom four, depending on how I feel :p I named those mostly at random, like before, although some of you might be able to think of some similarities between Marluxia and Roserade (maybe?).

I usually like the mythological names as well, I tend to stray away from the more 'normal' names as it were. Though I do have some more normally named Pokemon too, like Sophia.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. I have a Rock type team in the works, much in the same way as my Grass one.

Rock team:
Aerodactyl - Ardus
Lunatone - Horatius
Kabutops - Deimos
Omastar - Phobos
Relicanth - Cassius
Tyranitar - Julia

I went for some more Roman/Greek/Classical style names for this team... and I can't for the life of me remember why, either xD

Funny enough, I didn't really start regularly naming my Pokemon until I started battling XD It makes them a bit more real to me and when people start knowing your Pokemon by their names, you feel good XD

My current main team:

Froslass- Yuki
Bronzong- Bronzong
Swampert- Allison
Lucario- Megumi
Meganium- Megan
Arcanine- Joaquin

SS In-game team:
Feraligatr- Stefanie
Ninetales- Karalee
Ampharos- Coco
Pidgeot- Arianna

Others:
Arcanine- Anastasio
Torterra- Shinji
Torterra #2- Tierra
and many many more

My names come from all over the place. Sometimes I give Pokemon names I just think are pretty like with Megumi, Allison, the Arcanines, Coco, Karalee, and Arianna. A couple of names actually come from the Pokemon's species name like Megan(ium) and Yuki(menoko--its Japanese name). Occasionally they come from the attributes of the Pokemon like with Tierra which means earth. And finally sometimes they're named after a person or character like Feraligatr who's named after Steve Irwin and Torterra #1 who has Paul's Japanese name. Bronzong is just an odd case where I just couldn't find a name that fit XD My GPX Pokemon mostly follow the same naming trends but occasionally I just give some Pokemon names I don't really care about--I just couldn't stand to leave them un-named lol.

My Platinum team Pokemon all have names, specially picked by me!
Ares the Lucario- Named after the Greek god of war, it fits because I use him in competitive battling, naturally.
Tayler the Emoleon- Random name I picked up, but I've grown attatched to it.
Sammy the Staraptor- Named after my deceased dog. I saw it fit.
Bella the Bibarel- Named after this young girl I sometimes babysit. She's sweet and so is my Bibarel!
Sparkster the Raichu- I added the suffix -ster to spark and got a name.
Kendra the Roserade- Named after a character in one of my Pokemon fics.

Alternates:
Kaitlyn the Espeon- Named after my Psychic all-around character.
Zaron the Umbreon- Named after my Dark all-around character.
Lilya the Beautifly- Such a pretty name for such a pretty Pokemon.
Diana the Clefairy- Named after the Roman goddess of the Moon.
Mistral the Hypno- Sort of mysterious, isn't it?

In my Arceus team, I give the names by type
Normal=Normeus
Fight=Fighteus
Fly=Flyeus
Poison=Toxeus
Ground=Dirteus
Rock=Rockeus
Bug=Bugeus
Ghost=Freakeus
Steel=Steeleus
Fire=Flameus
Water=Seaeus
Grass:planteus
Electric=Thundeus
Psychic=Mindeus
Ice=Frosteus
Dragon=Drageus
Dark=Darkeus
;D ;D 8) 8)
Pokemonfreak

Aheehee, I have special rules when naming my Pokemon. Since I breed half of them, I name the offspring after types of something. Without further adieu,

SoulSilver Team:
Dodrio - Gala: I named all the Doduo I've hatched after apples. Others include Winesap and Granny.
Cloyster - Clementine: Likewise, my many Shellder babies were named after types of oranges, like Tangerine!
Meganium - Virgil: Virgil's a nice person. Meganium are nice Pokemon. I thought it fit, yes yes!
Valeria - Ninetales: I, uh, was watching Models of the Runway and one of them was named Valeria. I thought it was a lovely name for a beautiful Pokemon ♥
Pinsir - Gorgeous: All Bug Types are named after words for pretty. ALWAYS. Plus, I think Pinsir is just such a cute Pokemon, wouldn't you agree ♥
Vespiquen - Ravishing: See above, really. Vespiquen strike me with their lovely beauty.

Pokeathlon Team (♥):
Dunsparce - Margatroid: Named after Alice Margatroid, from the Touhou Project games.
Dunsparce - Shanghai: Named after Alice's first doll, from the Touhou Project games.
Dunsparce - Hourai: Named after Alice's second doll, from the Touhou Project games.

I'd love to name my Pokemon after fancy mythological figures or cool names, but, er, Pokemon aren't like almighty, so I make it a rule of mine not to name them as such. Usually after food or regular people names, really. I love nicknaming them, because then I remember them more easily ♥ Plus, I hate catching a Pokemon and leaving it as SKITTY, or WAILORD, cause of the all caps D:<

Yeah, I nickname the 'lil guys. Here's my Red team because im in NC and my Heart Gold is back in the hometown.

Blastoise: Hydro

Jolteon: Volt Kitty

Pidgeotto: Jet

Beedrill: Drillz

Kangaskhan: Kang (That's my most creative :3)

Gosh, I give nearly all my Pokemon names, except the ones I've caught with the Walker. For those, I swear to myself that I will rename them whenever they get switched to my party. :p

EDIT: I remember them now! :D

For my current parties:

Platinum:

Empoleon: Czar
Luxray: Raior
Staraptor: Jackdaw
Bibarel: Beck (as in 'beck and call', lol.)
Golem: Cyb (Cyborg, golem, hey, I tried. :p)
I really don't remember what's in the last slot, as it changes a lot. :p However, currently it is Ramone the Vaporeon.

Soul Silver:

Ferligatr: Anio
Fearow: Freud
Weepinbell: Bellatrix
Beedrill: Waspabi
Graveler: Iorek
Poliwhirl: Pakku

I used to name my pokemon after mythological figures exclusively, but I've been getting silly in my old age. I also have a tendency not to nickname legendaries:

HG Team: Pierre (Golem), Mr. Squishy (Tentacruel), Mr. Burny (Typhlosion), Blackie (Umbreon), Quack (Togekiss), Gorgonzola (Tangrowth)

SS Team: Samael (Gengar), Tiamat (Feraligatr), Wilbur (Mamoswine), Dammit (Yanmega), Garm (Houndoom), Raikou

Other SS Team: Whiplash (Electivire), Cannonball (Magmortar), Washington (Meganium), Isonade (Sharpedo), Stymphalia (Skarmory), Linux (Porygon-Z)

D: A'tuin (Torterra), Beans (Skuntank), Roentgen (Luxray), Sastruga (Glaceon), Mr. Floaty (Drifblim), Coyote (Lucario)

P: Marquess (Empoleon), Alice (Mismagius), Razor (Weavile), Kermit (Toxicroak), Sleipnir (Rapidash), Deborah (Vespiquen)

Pt: Wukong (Infernape), Carcharoth (Garchomp), Edward (Crobat), Tesla (Magnezone), Yuki (Froslass), Aikau (Floatzel)

FR: Titania (Venusaur), Shisa (Arcanine), Arethusa (Vaporeon), Banshee (Aerodactyl), Morena (Jynx), Khepri (Heracross) + Alt: Invictus (Mewtwo)

LG: Ancalagon (Charizard), Mercutio (Jolteon), Tethys (Kingdra), Tybalt (Alakazam), Harkonnen (Steelix), Tartarus (Tyranitar)

R: Gondwana (Sceptile), Schubert (Exploud), Aegis (Armaldo), Jamie (Walrein), Glaurung (Salamence), Kilauea (Camerupt)

S: Agni (Blaziken), Indra (Manectric), Vritra (Milotic), Azazel (Flygon), Jihen (Absol), Behemoth (Metagross), + Alt: Saguaro (Cacturne)

E: Vasyugan (Swampert), Panzer (Aggron), Binge (Seviper), Purge (Zangoose), Amanita (Breloom), Florence (Gardevoir)

Colosseum: Babar (Donphan), Peggy (Ampharos), Arcturus (Starmie), Jivemasta (Ludicolo), Samson (Machamp), Garuda (Swellow)

XD: Nanabozho (Flareon), Yggdrasil (Exeggutor), Leonardo (Blastoise), Bahamut (Dragonite), Lawnmower (Scizor), Bjorn (Ursaring)

I name everything. I mean seriously; everything. If you were to take any of my PokeMon games and look at my PokeMon, all of them would have nicknames, whether they're names after things or some cheesey stuff that I used because I couldn't be bothered thinking of special names. xD

HG Team:
C.Amarillo - Ampharos
Forrest - Meganium
Sploosh - Blastoise
Inferno - Moltres
Mewn - (shiny) Umbreon
Bleu - (shiny) Zangoose

C.Amarillo - 'C' for 'Captain', 'Amarillo' is Spanish for 'yellow'. (It was either C.Amarillo or 'Amphy' xD)
Forrest - Is it not a bit obvious? xD Forest because of grass-type, Forrest because it's a guy's name. o3o
Sploosh - From FR. xD Back when I was younger and more ... silly. >>
Inferno - Again, FR. Explains itself~
Mewn - Names spelled weirdly are fuuuun~
Bleu - Yeeeeeeaaah. I think you can guess. :>

Ghost Team:
Inflation - Drifblim
Frostare - Froslass
Ursula - Mismagius
Ghasp - Haunter (peh to Gengar >:|)
Geode - Sableye
Bango - Bannette

Inflation - 'Tis obvious. ;>
Frostare - Frost + Stare~ 8D
Ursula - Whee hee, I've always thought that the name 'Ursula' is rather spooky. No idea why.
Ghasp - Well, there's Ghastly, and ghosts generally make you gasp (well, in stories and shiznits) so why not Ghasp? :>
Geode - Self-explanatory, really.
Bango - Herp derp, I have no idea. |3 It starts with a 'b', so eh. x3

I also have some other names I feel need mentioning. :b I have a Mewtwo called Mew II, just for the sake of it. :3 And a Tauros called 'Duffman'. I name some of my PokeMon after characters, too, like Celia, my Dragonite, or Pix my Absol. :>

Most of my friends don't nickname their PokeMon, which I find sort of boring. xD I think that nicknames give them ... I dunno, personality. More ... oomph. :>

I love the way my brother nicknames PokeMon. xD I can't remember all of his nicknames, but things like Archibald the Mamoswine and Randy the Typhlosion are funny. :>

Since Gen 4's Pokedex thankfully doesn't require you to capture every little Pokemon in the region and stuff them heartlessly into a box, I've been able to keep and name Pokemon I actually want to keep and name. However, there are still a couple that, while I bear no ill will against them, I do not particularly love. However, they are a necessity as HM Slaves and thus, stick around. And while I don't use them in battle unless I really need to, that doesn't mean they don't get lovely names :D

Machop -OrebughCo.
Buneary -Hostage
Pichu- LilLantern
Staravia- SinnohAir
Bibarel- Rental

Yeah, I'm heartless like that.

But the Pokemon I do show affection towards usually get their names from anime and video game references, unless I think of something more clever.

Torterra- Leo
Luxio- Kiba
Buizel- Bluez
Vespiquen- Athena
Lopunny- Lilli
Murkrow- Raven
Medicham- Diz
Cranidos- Knuckles

just to name a few~

I didn't nickname Pokemon much until recently. Now I nickname almost every Pokemon I get.

Blaziken - Torchbird (I was like 8 at the time, ok?)
Togekiss - TogeToge
Darkrai - Grisnoir (French speakers should figure out this one)
Vileplume (Shiny) - SparkPetal
Mightyena - Fido
Treeko - Evergreen
Squirtle - HydroPulse
Lugia - Whirl
Ho-oh - MajestyR
Gyarados (Shiny) - ScarHara (Difficult to figure out pun xD)
Snorlax - FatsoIII
Umbreon - Skygaze
Typhlosion - Combustian
Ampharos - Dreamzap
Mawile - OIAM
Vulpix - Tailtip
Drowzee - DreamMare
Sunkern - SunShone
Slowpoke - Donno
Lapras - Crystalic
Fearow - HawkEye
Magneton - Thunderam
Jynx - Purplow
Girafarig - Simpleton
Marowak - BoneMarrow
Weezing - Coughanaut
Jigglypuff - Puffeeeeee
Swinub - Nubington
Sudowoodo - Woodosoodo
Slowpoke - JImbO
Suicune - AquaPaw
Goldeen - Huskington
Haunter - Hunterz
Wobbuffet - JellyBelly
Magneton - Conducteer
Paras - Musheen
Togepi - Magestoge
Dunsparce - DustWing
Manectric - Eclectrick
Kangaskhan - Kangoo
Poliwhirl - Subject9V

I didnt really start nicknaming anything until the hoenn series but even then i didnt nickname alot of things, the follow list are pokemon that have nicknamed overtime:

Lucario - Rukario
Probopass - Mario
Shaymin (skyform) - Rider
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu(F) - Sparkii
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu(M) - Sparky
Darkrai - Caterpie (Lol :D)
Rhyperior - Rhypwn
Staraptor - Stryker
Raikou - Voltage
Buisel - Weasel
Blaziken - Pyro
Umbreon - Dusk
Espeon - Dawn
Galceon - Snow
Swellow - X Flight
Torkal - Turtle
Geodude - Flex
Grovyle - Felix
Swampert - Mudtoad
Machamp - Hurdle
Beiberal - Slave
Zigzagoon - Furret
Deoxys - Proto X

After Diamond, I stopped nicknaming my pokemon. So if memory serves, my diamond team is as follows.
Empoleon-Unnicknamed
Roserade-Geo
Luxray-electra
Gastrodon-mew(after a seagull´s cry. Don´t ask...)
Floatzel-Flotsam

RX your HM Slave names are great xD

Anyway, I do usually name my Pokemon. But really....I don't have any names to share! I've just started a new game on SS, and I've never battled competitively. Though, when I do name, they come from a lot of different sources. Most often, I find, I just give them a name. Magpie said that naming her Charmander Kevin was silly, and to that, I say nay! I give my Pokemon "regular" names all the time. Every now and then, a name will come from mythology. Sometimes I pick a word that I feel describes a Pokemon, and translate that word into Spanish, or Latin, or French, or anything, really, and play with that a bit. And then there are the times when a name comes from someone important to me. Fer example, I recently started SS again, with a Totodile. I named him Dale. He's named Dale 'cause there's a kid one year younger than me that I know who has been dealing with having Leukemia, and he too plays Pogeymen. We were talking about it one day and he said he got Totodile. So, we have Dale the Totodile....that story sounded better in my head.... ^^

These are just the teams I've grown attached to (HG/Emerald/Diamond)
HG: Cadence the Meganium, Dallas the Pidgeot, Cheri (pronounced Share-ee) the Ampharos, Quincy the Arcanine, Limerick the Mamoswine, and Rain the Cloyster
Emerald: Tommy the Sceptile, Samantha the Raichu, Shadow the Sableye, Haku the Starmie, Marcus the Gyarados, and Sakura the Pelliper
Diamond: Bale the Torterra, Minami the Crobat, No Face the Lucario, Chihiro the Vespiquen, Sharingan the Mr. Mime, and Beavee the Bibarel

I have named almost every Pokemon I've ever caught, ever. Sometimes they line up with each other, but just as often they don't. I had a team where all of the Pokemon were Nintendo villains, once, but by the same token, next playthrough, all of my Pokemon had bad puns for the names. Let's see if I can't remember them:

Leaving Suicune (I pronounce Suicune suh-soon)
Tyranitar Pit
DarkStormy Dragonite
Hawking A Lugia
Entei AtOwnRisk
Raikou D'Etat

And, of course, every Blaziken I have will be named NoMafiaTies. Because they never have Mafia ties, obviously.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have well over four boxes full of team Pokemon from past adventures, pretty much all of 'em nicknamed, so I'll just analyze my latest 20 or so. I generally always nickname my team Pokemon because it feels more personal, but how I name them can vary from game to game.

Team on SoulSilver:
Meganium - Zanaffar
Noctowl - Wanshitong
Lanturn - Alnair
Houndoom - Lucied
Hitmontop - Dreidel
Smeargle - Picasso

Team on Platinum:
Marowak - Grayskull
Aerodactyl - Rodan
Lapras - Lazuli
Gallade - Agito
Drifblim - Wisp
Muk - Toxicor
Porygon2 - Glitch
Torterra - Eldoradi
Rapidash - Pudding
Drapion - Lesath
Camerupt - Roxana

Current team on Pearl:
Vespiquen - Latona
Mantyke - Siegmund
Swablu - Nidhogg
Gligar - Garm
Duduo - Vidofnir
Skarmory - Reginleif

Aaand that's enough for now.

Sometimes I use a theme, as seen with my current Pearl team (all of them are named after the sacred weapons from FE: TSS). My themes can be anything from video game related characters, weapons, creatures or artifacts; names of Anime, western TV, movie, or novel characters; Pokemon named after my RolePlay or fanfic teams; and puns or references connected to various sources (ie. Mr. Owl and Mr. Beaver, inspired by SpaceBalls). Once I even used a forum 'screen name' theme and named all of my Pokemon after members of my current forum community (Pokeschool). Now a few of the names have stuck and I've reused 'em in various places (like "Whicker", my Gengar, and "Soslow", my Slowking). XD

I also enjoy attacking a few choice websites that have lists of star names, constellations, and astronomy-related terms. Astronomy has hordes of different myths woven into it, and its names/terms come from a large variety of origins. Makes for a really nice resource. I always attempt to use the names properly by meaning/origin, but if I can't find anything that fits - or really like the way a name sounds - I'll just connect 'em to my Pokemon by association (ie. name a Shinx after a star in the Leo constellation).

Finally... Sometimes my names are just completely random. I'll start brainstorming names and simply pick the first one that comes to mind, use an inside joke (ie. "Pudding" for my Ponyta, now a Rapidash), or just use the name that feels the most proper, regardless of how deeply inspired it was. It could be as mythological as Elysian or as basic as Teddy. Generally the names of my main-main Pokemon come from various places, but all of 'em fit somehow in my mind. They all just feel right. :)

I have actually never nicknamed any of my pokemon because I have just never really thought to do it, but I must say, all this talk about nicknaming has made me want to start. In my current team I only have 5 at the moment so I think I will definitley have to name that lucky last one. I think it gives a sense of individuality to a pokemon instead of the simple "Rattatta" or "Weedle".

Mhm, only in three games did I nickname though...

Platinum:

Leafeon-GloryL
Infernape-Machney
Staraptor-Plucks
Floatzel-Flo-T
Lucario-Aurora
*Flipper*

SoulSilver:

Typhlosion~CapeValor
Ampharos~A-Ros
Gyarados~Dracanea
Scizor~Metallica
Pidgeot~Wingtara
Umbreon~Darkle

HeartGold

Meganium~M-Ganium
Fearow~Kenya (not my nickname)
Gyarados~G-Dos
Flareon~(Video Game Championships Shiny Eevee result, no nickname)
Luxray(From Platinum)~Spynxo
Sudowoodo~S-Woodo

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I only name my starters to signify their status as such.

Blastoise: Shellpower: Derived from the name of the one in the first movie since ShellShocker wouldn't fit

Silver Feraligatr: Chomp: Have you seen its mouth?

Crystal Feraligatr: Fang: Again, mouth.

Swampert: Kippo: Dervived from Mudkip

Sceptile: Gecko: The species it's based on

Empoleon: Emperor: Based on an Emperor Penguin

Infernape: Axel: The Flurry of Dancing Flames of Organization XIII.

My Blastoise of LG and Feraligatr in SS have no names just because I didn't feel like it those times. I haven't decided what I want to name my future Mijumaru yet, but I might get an idea off of its English name.

Lately I've been naming almost all of my pokemon in the games, and definitely all of them that I create fiction-wise. My newest game team is in Platinum, which I will list here:

Chole - Torterra
Baal - Raichu
Era - Espeon
Freyr - Dragonair/Dragonite
Nuskuu - Charizard
Gau - Staraptor

Gau is mainly high-level transportation, but the name of my last main-team pokemon slipped my mind. *Sweatdrop.*

I love giving my Pokemon names as I'll usually only catch Pokemon that I want to battle with (I'll never be a Pokemon Master anyway) but I do have trouble naming some of them... (Like Wailord)

Pidgeot- Pokey
Dragonair- Clair
Jumpluff- Polly
Ampharos- Ship
Raticate- Rachel
Sudowoodo- Gabrielle
Drifblim- Izzy
Gyarados- Fia
Quagsire- Daisy
Chatot- Pockey
Shuckle- Winkybun
Shuckle- Shuckie
Onix- Rocky
Froslass- Sherry
Feraligatr- Luann
Rotom- Charley
Arbok- Jessie
Weezing- James
Jynx- Josephine
Rapidash- Rosa
Kricketune- Bach
Roselia- Rose
Lickitung- Eliza
Mismagius- Susan
Lumineon- Lumine
Breloom- Hannah
Tangrowth- Vanessa
Crobat- CharlesIII

And the special ones:
Probopass- Mario
Leafeon- Saria
Gallade- Link
Gardevoir- Zelda
Luxray- Sonic
Electrode- Bill
Torterra- King Koopa
Blastoise- Bowser

I used to not name my Pokémon at all. But recently, I've been doing it a bit more. Some names are lame, some I'm rather fond of.

My team, in order of favorite nicknames:
Ampharos - Derbyshire (Delia Derbyshire was famous for electronic music)
Rapidash - Rassilon (Evil, figuratively fiery Time Lord leader from Doctor Who)
Pidgeot - Missingno. (Meh.)
Garchomp - ガブリアス (Garchomp's Japanese name, Gaburiasu... Got that one off the GTS though...)
Venusaur - Fuzigibana (Venusaur's Japanese name)
Swampert - Watery (Meh. Got that one off my old Ruby version...)

I also have a Mewtwo named Rattata. :V

The nicknames I remember the most are my LeafGreen team for some reason, but here it is:

Venusaur - Blarg (I nickname all of my starters that XD)
Arcanine - Firestorm (Obvious)
Lapras - Nessie (Also obvious)
Primeape - BoomBoom (I don't know)
Dugtrio - Rio (What I named my Dugtrio in the R/B/Y days, so it's nostalgia.)
Mr. Mime - Mimien (It's the name the guy that gives it to you for an Abra give it, but the name sucks.)

I just made a Star Wars themed team, and named them after planets:

Alderaan- Gardevoir
Bespin- Weezing
Corellia- Togekiss
Iridonia- Infernape
Kamino- Feraligatr
Korriban- Rhyperior

I don't usually give nicknames in a first-playthrough. But when I start a new game and don't save (just for the hell of it), I would nickname my pokemon then. Thanks to the fact you can put a DS in sleep mode by closing it, I was able to do a four-day marathon of all the gym badges and the elite four (losing against the champion of course) with a team which actually opened up my mind for some interesting strategies.

But on to the point, these were the nicknames I used for my pokemon, in the order I caught/obtained them.
Infernape: Blaze
Bibarel: Beaver
Onix: Rocko
Togekiss: Sunshine
Glaceon: Tails
Rotom: Boltz

1. Charizard - Hidenshi
2. Glaceon - Shirazu
3. Espeon - Shikunzo
4. Salamence - Mutotzu
5. Starmie - Hatsune
6. Luxray - Shinko
7. Arcanine - Kenzuko

Named them like that after some japanese anime characters. The rest I made up. In my opinion, those names suit them. I love nicknaming them cause it makes them different from the rest and their MY OWN pokemon. And no matter what new game I play of pokemon, I keep those names with the same pokemon. The only things about them I change is their move set.

I've named a few of my Poke'mon, but most of them are for the hilarity that ensues. Here are a couple:

RuPaul the Starmie - I named Starmie after RuPaul because, not only is s/he one of the most amazing people on the planet, Starmie doesn't have a gender.. and RuPaul is a drag queen!
Tyra Banks the Tyranitar - Because it's hilarious. Also, I always called him just Tyra.

I name every single Pokemon I catch. I don't know why, it's kind of fun for me. Since I can't list them all (dear god this would be a long post,) I'll just say the ones I can name at the top of my head.

Infernape - Dray (He was named after a particular youtube MapleStory animator.)
Blissey - Sakura
Roserade - Erik (The phantom of the opera was there inside my mind.)
Scyther - Stel (Non-explanatory.)
Leafeon - William (Named after my first boyfriend. He said he always wanted a grass-type eeveelution.)
Luxray - Tonnerre
Illumise - Giggity (...No comment.)
Flareon - Hellfire
Vaporeon - Aeris
Jolteon - S.S. (For "Static Shock." Yes, corny xD)

I would usually either give them silly names, like Gummi, but I would also sometimes name them depending on type:

Fire type: Fireheart
Grass type: Forest
Water type: Aqua

My main party, I trade to my new games everytime that I get the 8th badge.
Swampert~Hydro
Infernape~Blaze
Venusaur~Rex
Pidgeot~Pidgeon
Luxray~Ben
Nidoking~King (wasn't very creative there...)

I almost always nickname my pokemon.
I'm not gonna put down all of my teams, just my LeafGreen team.

Lily the Blastoise

Circe the Victreebel

Nemuri the Snorlax

Doki the Primeape

Kaji the Flareon.

Razor the Aerodactyl

And when I'm not using Razor, I'm using Rex the Pidgeot.

A

Anonymous

I nickname everything! (except aggron, because your name is cool enough you japanese freak.)

My main team is
Ivy the Pidgeot
Japanese Japanese Japanese the Aggron
Saur the Venasaur
Mach the Garchomp
Blaze the Infernape
Abon the Jolteon