• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Is my team any good?

I really don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

I decided to drop by after a month or two of inactivity to ask if my current team in Pokemon X is any good. I'm going to list the name, level, and moveset, and stats of my team.

1. My current 'ace' is a level 80 Gengar with the Levitate ability, 207 HP, 133 Attack, 124 Defense, 270 Sp. Atk, 159 Sp.Defense and 188 Speed. It has Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam, and Venoshock.

2. My second team member is a level 96 Charizard with the Blaze ability, 281 HP, 206 Attack, 187 Defense, 272 Sp.Atk, 192 Sp.Def, and 225 speed. It has Flamethrower, Earthquake, Blast Burn, and Flare Blitz. I recieved this Charizard from trade.

3. My third pokemon is a level 59 Greninja with the Torrent ability, 175 Hp, 158 Atk, 101 Def, 145 Sp.Atk, 101 Sp.Def, and 177 Speed. It has Acrobatics, Scald, Ice Beam, and Rock Tomb.

4. My fourth Pokemon is a level 62 Hawlucha with the Unburden ability, 179 HP, 139 Atk, 120 Def, 119 Sp.Atk, 88 Sp.Def, and 200 Speed. It has Sky Attack, Cut, High Jump Kick, and False Swipe.

5. My fifth pokemon is a level 54 Lapras with the Water Absorb ability, 228 Hp, 125 Atk, 108 Def, 118 Sp.Atk, 123 Sp.Def, and 100 speed. It has Surf, Ice Beam, Waterfall, and Strength.

6. My last pokemon is a level 83 Talonflame with the Flame Body ability, 248 Hp, 188 Atk, 154 Def, 139 Sp.Atk, 135 Sp.Def, and 287 Speed. It has Fly, Acrobatics, Thief, and Brave Bird.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to move this to Pokémon Games Discussion, as it's not really a competitive team – if it were, I'd put it in the Clinic.

As for your team, it's very difficult to comment on in-game teams, as there's very little you can do wrong with them. You can beat the game and most in-game trainers without needing a skilfully-built team, and without paying much attention to stats or other details. In your case, the only real advice I'd offer is to spend more time balancing your teams' levels (your Lapras is particularly under levelled, for example), and to pay attention to the types of Pokémon in your team – you have two Fire types, three Flying types, and two Water types, for example, so a good proportion of your team can be knocked out with a solid Thunderbolt.

If you wanted to get this team rated from a competitive standpoint, take a look at the Clinic forum and post a thread there – be sure to follow the format listed in its rules :)

Last edited:
I'm going to move this to Pokémon Games Discussion, as it's not really a competitive team – if it were, I'd put it in the Clinic.

As for your team, it's very difficult to comment on in-game teams, as there's very little you can do wrong with them. You can beat the game and most in-game trainers without needing a skilfully-built team, and without paying much attention to stats or other details. IN your case, the only real advice I'd offer is to spend more time balancing your teams' levels (your Lapras is particularly under levelled, for example), and to pay attention to the types of Pokémon in your team – you have two Fire types, three Flying types, and two Water types, for example, so a good proportion of your team can be knocked out with a solid Thunderbolt.

If you wanted to get this team rated from a competitive standpoint, take a look at the Clinic forum and post a thread there – be sure to follow the format listed in its rules :)
Thank you, I really didn't pay much attention to that. I may change my team up, but I wanted to know if I trained my Gengar correctly.

For better type coverage I'd go with Dazzling gleam, Thunderbolt, Dark pulse and Sludge wave but that is me :p

Also note that hawlucha has unburden, give it a flying gem and acrobatics, the loss of the gem boosts the flying move and triggers the ability as well as acrobatics does more damage when you have no held items, a good strategy I use on Pokemon with unburden and can learn acrobatics

Those are my suggestions anyway, up to you If you want to use them or not

For better type coverage I'd go with Dazzling gleam, Thunderbolt, Dark pulse and Sludge wave but that is me :p

Also note that hawlucha has unburden, give it a flying gem and acrobatics, the loss of the gem boosts the flying move and triggers the ability as well as acrobatics does more damage when you have no held items, a good strategy I use on Pokemon with unburden and can learn acrobatics

Those are my suggestions anyway, up to you If you want to use them or not
I don't have the TM for Dark Pulse or Sludge Wave, if they exist.
I'm not a good competitive player, and I never will be. I find it to be a waste of time that could be used completing the Pokedex or training a pokemon. I don't pay much attention to abilities, and the only time I ever relied on it was with my Zebstrika in a match against my sister, who had 4 electric types with nothing but electric moves, so they basically became useless because of its ability that aborbs electric attacks. I do occasionally go into Battle Spot when I'm bored, but I never win.

As for your team, it's very difficult to comment on in-game teams, as there's very little you can do wrong with them. You can beat the game and most in-game trainers without needing a skilfully-built team, and without paying much attention to stats or other details. In your case, the only real advice I'd offer is to spend more time balancing your teams' levels (your Lapras is particularly under levelled, for example), and to pay attention to the types of Pokémon in your team – you have two Fire types, three Flying types, and two Water types, for example, so a good proportion of your team can be knocked out with a solid Thunderbolt.

I have a quick question, what's your recomendation for a good fairy type? All I've got right now is my Sylveon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Question: do you give your Pokemon held items? Even in-game, held items can help boost your Pokemon a lot; the various Choice items aren't terribly difficult to get if a bit time-consuming, berries grow easily, hell even those single type boosting plates and other similar held items can be useful if you're not worried about coverage (not recommended though).

Also, I highly suggest going after as many TMs in the game as possible; they're fairly easy to get and figuring out the puzzles to get to some of them can be fun. Plus, a lot of the TMs are pretty good to give your Pokemon more coverage.

Speaking of coverage... Charizard has three fire-type moves. You can at least run Shadow Claw or Rock Slide or Brick Break or anything else, really. These are all moves you can get via TM; see my paragraph above.

Fairy types work best as a defensive Pokemon, though some also are decent attackers as well. My personal favorite is Clefable with Magic Guard or Unaware (Cute Charm is too situational in battle, but if it's in-game I guess it won't matter too much). Both Clefable and Sylveon can get Wish as an egg move if you're worried about survivability, but if you're not willing to breed I might suggest some kind of Stored Power/Cosmic Power/Moonblast/Moonlight combination could work. If you want something more offensive, maybe Gardevoir or Mega Mawile are your cup of tea? Gardevoir has pretty decent coverage and Mega Mawile is just annoying to take down in general. I would suggest Azumarill or Togekiss, but your team is already ridiculously weak to electric-type moves so they aren't really recommended.

Actually, if you have an Unburden Belly Drum+Play Rough Slurpuff with a Sitrus Berry and, that would be hilarious. Though... Belly Drum is an egg move, and Unburden is its HA.

Question: do you give your Pokemon held items? Even in-game, held items can help boost your Pokemon a lot; the various Choice items aren't terribly difficult to get if a bit time-consuming, berries grow easily, hell even those single type boosting plates and other similar held items can be useful if you're not worried about coverage (not recommended though).

Also, I highly suggest going after as many TMs in the game as possible; they're fairly easy to get and figuring out the puzzles to get to some of them can be fun. Plus, a lot of the TMs are pretty good to give your Pokemon more coverage.

Speaking of coverage... Charizard has three fire-type moves. You can at least run Shadow Claw or Rock Slide or Brick Break or anything else, really. These are all moves you can get via TM; see my paragraph above.

Fairy types work best as a defensive Pokemon, though some also are decent attackers as well. My personal favorite is Clefable with Magic Guard or Unaware (Cute Charm is too situational in battle, but if it's in-game I guess it won't matter too much). Both Clefable and Sylveon can get Wish as an egg move if you're worried about survivability, but if you're not willing to breed I might suggest some kind of Stored Power/Cosmic Power/Moonblast/Moonlight combination could work. If you want something more offensive, maybe Gardevoir or Mega Mawile are your cup of tea? Gardevoir has pretty decent coverage and Mega Mawile is just annoying to take down in general. I would suggest Azumarill or Togekiss, but your team is already ridiculously weak to electric-type moves so they aren't really recommended.

Actually, if you have an Unburden Belly Drum+Play Rough Slurpuff with a Sitrus Berry and, that would be hilarious. Though... Belly Drum is an egg move, and Unburden is its HA.
I changed up the team just recently, I'd like to know if it works.
Gengar, Delphox, Greninja, Slyveon, Dragonite, and Darkrai.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Without movesets it's hard to tell, but right off the bat I can tell you that half your team is weak to fairies. Of course, Gengar and Delphox both resist fairy-type moves, but typically I don't like having a running weakness on my team. Gengar and Delphox also arent particularly tanky and both can be taken down with a good dark or ghost-type move (and I'm fairly certain many ghost types can also use Dazzling Gleam).

I'd personally switch Darkrai out for something that can wall or possibly even a wish support Pokemon, if Sylveon isn't carrying it. That way your team can be more balanced. Or you can have another good, fast sweeper. In-game is pretty lax, after all, and sweepers are fun to use :p

I changed up the team just recently, I'd like to know if it works.
Gengar, Delphox, Greninja, Slyveon, Dragonite, and Darkrai.
I just noticed the flaw: Two pokemon of the Dark typing. Changing that Greninja...
Without movesets it's hard to tell, but right off the bat I can tell you that half your team is weak to fairies. Of course, Gengar and Delphox both resist fairy-type moves, but typically I don't like having a running weakness on my team. Gengar and Delphox also arent particularly tanky and both can be taken down with a good dark or ghost-type move (and I'm fairly certain many ghost types can also use Dazzling Gleam).

I'd personally switch Darkrai out for something that can wall or possibly even a wish support Pokemon, if Sylveon isn't carrying it. That way your team can be more balanced. Or you can have another good, fast sweeper. In-game is pretty lax, after all, and sweepers are fun to use :p
I'm not a competitive player, I just need a team that will easily sweep the Elite Four without much resistance.

I just noticed the flaw: Two pokemon of the Dark typing. Changing that Greninja...

I'm not a competitive player, I just need a team that will easily sweep the Elite Four without much resistance.

I'm also not too worried about type matchups. If I lose a battle, I lose a battle. I don't play to win. If this cube can get a good battle then I'm happy.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Easily sweep E4: level 100 Pokemon. Maybe throw in 6 legendaries. A bunch of hard hitters, the hardest hitters you can find. If you want to sweep even more easily, EV training is recommended but not completely necessary.

There is literally nothing else to say here. Train your Pokemon, kill the E4. Easy.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Level up so your Pokémon are all above the E4's levels, hit them with attacking moves of vaguely the right type, win. It's really that simple - unlike competitive, fighting the in-game battles takes very little skill. Just make the numbers bigger and try to do as much damage as possible. There's.very little in the way of strategy from the AI, so as long as your entire team isn't weak to one of the E4's types, you'll be fine. :)

Ultimately, as I said to begin with, it's very difficult to recommend Pokémon for in-game purposes because, unlike competitive, you only need a basic understanding of type matchups and decently-levelled Pokémon. There's really very little strategy that we can recommend because it's very hard to find a team that doesn't work.