• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Is Budew a good Pokemon in the start ?

Is Budew a Pokemon worth catching ?

• Yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pikachu_Master

When I get Pokemon Diamond, I'm gonna try to catch a Budew in Route 201, I just want to know, is it a good Pokemon and is worth my while to catch it ?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Budew is a useless bowl of shite as a Budew (except as an HM slave). However, if you make it happy enough it evolves into Roselia, and then, if you can get your hands on a Light Stone...

Mrrrrrrr, Roserade goodness >>

So I take it that the first gym specializes in rock types? If that's the case I would definitely catch one for myself. Budew is cute though. I'm going to poke around the 'Charms dex and see if it learns good moves. If it does, it'll be easy for me to make it happy. Roserade here I come!!

I used a budew in my diamond game, it was fairly useful just unfortunately it took me ages to evolve it to roselia due to playing at lots of different times of day (being on a school trip in japan = not much time to play) so it missed getting leech seed, rather than using the move relearner I just discarded my roselia as I still had my turtwig for my grass type and caught a stunky for poison type. God I love Skutank =D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
That's my issue with happiness evos right there. I remember training a Pichu in Silver and missing most all of its good moves before it finally evolved. Maybe I could've move tutored them back on, but it's a bother and a deterrent... and in general, it's farking annoying XD

I'll be training a Budew at some point in order to get Roserade, and really, that's the only worth in training it that I see. Roserade saved that line...

Budew is a useless bowl of shite as a Budew (except as an HM slave). However, if you make it happy enough it evolves into Roselia, and then, if you can get your hands on a Light Stone...

Mrrrrrrr, Roserade goodness >>

Well, yeah it's a piece of pig poop if you catch it...but when it lvls your in luk ::)

That's my issue with happiness evos right there. I remember training a Pichu in Silver and missing most all of its good moves before it finally evolved. Maybe I could've move tutored them back on, but it's a bother and a deterrent...

I thank heavens for the move re-learners. I'm not sure why they weren't thought of sooner. In Silver and Crystal, my poor Umbreons never has a chance to learn Faint attack because my Eevees kept evolving after Level 30.

Budew sounds like a good candidate for the move re-learner. Roselia learns some darn helpful grass moves that I don't want to miss.
Sigh...Sometimes happiness evolution can be a pain in the arse. But I'll still catch a Budew early on.

I used Budew in the start, and it was actually pretty good then. Use it a lot to raise its hapiness, evolve it, get a wonderful Light Stone, and you have the awesome Roserade. So yeah, get one. Plus, Budew is adorable. And catching it will help your PokeDex (duh).

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Am I the only one who finds it totally easy to evolve via Happiness?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just starting to think you all abuse your Pokeymons. >>

Dunking my Pichu's head repeatedly into that bucket of water was not abuse! It was simply to build character! ... Just like the time when I threw it off the cliff... And the time I shoved it into the middle of the busy highway... Can't forget the Ursaring incident either...

>>

But actually, I had no trouble getting my Crobat either (it evolved straight away from Golbat as yours did). It was only the Pichu that gave me hell xp

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Happiness is increased not only by experience and drugs and so on, but also by walking around. In fact, I just did what I do to hatch eggs to get Riolu happy enough to evolve after I realised this. If you train a Zubat up to a Golbat, then the walking around as well as the experience earned in doing that, would place it at a level suitable enough for it to evolve into a Crobat.

Hatching a Pokemon from an egg or catching a Pokemon and then having to happiness evolve it (as the majority of these evolutions are) is a much more major pain in the ass - as you start from scratch.

I don't like happiness evolutions - they're a slow, tedious pain in the arse, and it annoys me a great deal that I'll have to bother with them every time I want a Lucario. (Which will be often).

As for Budew, yes - it is a good Pokemon at the start. Especially if you chose Chimchar. In fact, it's practically essential in beating Roark, so it's worth picking up for that.

It is also a good little HM slave - I kept mine with me my entire journey through Sinnoh, only dumping it when it came time to get ready for the Elite 4 and I started training my Weavile. I never used it in battle, but it was handy to have around for HMs - Bibarel being good for the rest (leaving only Defog - the most unused HM in the game - to be taken care of by Drifloon).

I never evolved mine (surprise :p), but I will definitely be picking up another one in Diamond to get my hands on a Roserade at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.