• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Insert random knowledge 'here'

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
About time this got up and running again. For now, post all random facts here. Double posting is okay if at least a few days have passed since your last addition. For everything else, hit edit.

---------------------------------------------------

Gonbe was the first Generation 4 Pokemon revealed.

In the Anime episode "Thunder Shock Showdown" (Japanese name?) Pikachu finally beat Raichu by using Speed attacks (Agility, Quick Attack) and using his tail as a ground.

(Amazing, eh? I can't really think of anything interesting to add right now.)

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
*Stretches* Huh? I'm tired. Let's see:

Abra evolves into Kadabra at level 16, and Kadabra evolves by trading.

Abra must sleep at least 18 hours a day.

Slakoth's daily meal consists of just three leaves.

Wailord is the biggest pokemon.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Not something i've ever heard of before. Which would cast doubt over it's reality. I'll wait until the others say something concerning it.

And YES! The Encyclopedia will be updated sometime. I promise, promise, promise.

130_garados.jpg

Actually, quite a few pokemon had weird beta names, before they changed them at the last minute. With some of them, they were going to keep the japanese name; others weren't terribly inspired [the Machop line in particular makes me retch] and it's very good that they changed them, IMO. Some of them exhibit a distressing love of puns. The following can all be substantiated with pictures, but as I can't be bothered to upload all the damn things...you only get the list. :p

Actual Name - Beta Name
Kakuna - Kokoon
Rattata - Rattatak
Ekans - Arbo
Sandslash - Sandstorm
Clefairy - Aria
Clefable - Ariala
Vulpix - Foxfire
Paras - Parasyte
Diglett - Digda
Growlithe - Flamie
Arcanine - Blaze
Abra - Hocus
Kadabra - Pocus
Machop - Kara-tee
Machoke - Kung-foo
Machamp - Ju-doh
Tentacool - Jilly
Tentacruel - Man O War (These little pictures with the beta names were picked up eventually--I remember a pokemon advertisement on YTV that mentioned 'Man O War'. Shameful)
Rapidash - Gallop
Slowpoke - Slowmo
Magnemite - Coil
Magneton - Recoil
Doduo - Dodo
Dewgong - Manaty
Gastly - Spirit
Haunter - Spectre
Gengar - Phantom
Cubone - Orphon
Marowak - Guardia
Lickitung - Tonguetyd
Koffing - Ny
Weezing - La (Three letters for these two...WTF?) [Oh wait, I get it...these are the acronyms for a couple of really smoggy cities. Ahahaha. Clever. Not.]
Chansey - Lucky
Tangela - Meduza
Goldeen - Goldy
Seaking - Neptune
Scyther - Stryke
Lapras - Ness
Eevee - Eon
Omanyte - Ess
Omastar - Kargo
Kabuto - Att
Kabutops - Lantis
Aerodactyl - Ptera
Dratini - Dragoon
Dragonair - Dragyn

Whee!

Okay, here's my tidbit of info...they were originally going to put Girafarig in R/B, as a two-headed giraffe thingy. However, they couldn't decide what type to make it, so they took it out. Apparently, that did something to the code (or they couldn't extract it totally, or something), resulting in the Missingno glitch.

I've seen that original Girafarig. Basically, take a Girafarig, but make its back half a mirror reflection of the front half. It sucked.

Lessee, interesting fact...EIGHT MORE DAYS UNTIL LEAFGREEN!

Um... Chikorita was originally a gastropod looking thing... same upper body, but with a slug-like lower. Ever seen that one episode of the Fairly Oddparents where Timmy wishes everyone was exactly the same? It's kinda like that.

Marril was originally purple.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
"TheBlueAvenger said:
Um... Chikorita was originally a gastropod looking thing... same upper body"]

Ugh... Thankgod that never lasted.

Due to only being a hardcore fan after G/S/C, i have little or no knowledge concerning Beta crap so any more i'm more than willing to hear.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, I've been a fan since R/B but I didn't know any of that beta stuff either ;)

Speaking of Marril, net wide people believed its name to be "Pikabul" or "Pikablue" before the offical word came. That Mewthree rumor had a lot of followers, too.

And still on the blue mouse subject, does anyone know the reason why Azurill is a normal type? Was it for programming reasons or are the creators just stupid?

Gold and Silver were originally set to have a female playable trainer, much like Crystal did.

On the back of the boxes (or somewhere) of Ruby and Sapphire, Nintendo claims that these two are the first games in which you can play as a girl. WRONG! See Crystal, above.

Pokemon Forever, http://www.pokefor.tk, has some nice beta Pokemon. Pokemon UK, http://www.pkmn.co.uk, has some beta GS maps, which is kinda neat.

And I know that somewhere, on some Ruby/Sapphire stuff, it mentions 'first time playable female.' Maybe it was a guide.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Where are the beta pokemon on Pokemon Forever? I must be unobservant...

I'm stupidly amused by the description of Oddish in Fire Red's Pokedex:
Its scientific name is "Oddium Wanderus". At night, it is said to walk nearly 1,000 feet on its two roots.

Just thought I'd mention that because it had me laughing out loud this afternoon ;).

*tries to ignore the fact she once studied Latin and an adjective ending in -us would never go with a noun ending in -ium - ahem!*

I can't get onto Pokemon Forever right now for some reason, but the betas are under Games, then Metallics (or whatever GSC is called on there) and finally, Beta Pokemon. I think.

baratron

Staff member
It's back up today - and OH MY GOD THE PINK, THE PINK!

*blinded*

Here's the beta Pokemon - or rather alpha. I don't think I'd ever bothered to look at the Metal generation files there, which is probably why I hadn't seen them. I'm very disturbed by the Magikarp length calculator (also in that section of the site). I wonder if that can be used for FR/LG as well...?

(edit:) I forgot to say, referring back to Keleri's post about appalling beta names - are you sure those are all English names? Because Pokemon have different names in French, German, Spanish etc, and some of those names are really awful as well :). Skulkraken in particular sounds German... or maybe just fake German.

Is there a site somewhere that lists Pokemon names in different languages?

I think that the flaming Raichu was supposed to be a species of its own. Thank God - too many Pikachu/Pichu clones running around. :evil:

Edit: SWEET LYFE! Post number 100! So many people I haven't pissed off yet... Lessee, so far, I've only po'd Raichu... and... um... damn.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Much like Oddish's funky PokeDex entry, LG's for Vulpix is quite interesting. It basically stated that Vulpix are born with a single, pure white tail. I'd love to see a picture of something like that ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! Nice pic, Nem ^^

It makes you wonder what other newborn Pokemon would really look like... Maybe after reading that people will drop the damn idea that baby Kangaskhan should be anything more than just a 'baby' ;p

Off topic: Getting off subject here guys... :roll:

On topic:

Kid's WB will be airing Destiny Deoxxe on January 22nd, 2005. Three weeks before the actual movie is on the shelves.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You wouldn't know it, but Nem is really an emotional guy :cry:

Anyways...

1Up.com voted Pokemon as number 46 for "The Essential 50" - a list that defines the 50 most important and influential games ever made (not necessarily the best).

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Their article does seem to indicate they put it there simply because they had to, rather than because they wanted to. There are a few games I could definitely put Pokemon above in terms of importance to Gaming. It's one of the most important games of the last 10 years after all.

The NY/LA joke from Koffing and Weezing's original English names live on in FireRed and LeafGreen. The Tangela you receive in a trade from Norma is nicknamed "Tangeny."

Dosen't anyone besides me think umbreon should evolve by moon stone and espeon should evolve by sun stone I mean it makes perfect sense since all the other evee evolutions evolve by stone plus it fits them.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Heh. I once drew my own version of Honooguma, and called it (oh my dog, this is wrong) Embear. xD

And WHOA. I didn't know about a few of those Alphas. The 'early design for hitmontop' thing makes me think of a Clefairy on drugs. o_o The turtle thing is nifty, and I like those trainers...

But anyway.

A heavy load of the 'Beta' names for the original generations are just the Japanese names of the PokeMon.

This is true in the case of:

Ekans - Arbo, Although it's actually spelled A-bo in japanese. Elagonating the 'A' kana makes an 'Ar' sound, but the idea was probably 'Boa' spelled backwards, just like Arbok is Cobra spelled backwards - In fact, since K and C have the same Kana, they could have named it Arboc. But that would have made it sound french, so. :p

Diglett - Digda.
Rapidash - Gallop.
Magnemite - Coil. (Although the 'Recoil' joke was a BAD pun. x_X I can imagine what would have happened if a Magneton would have used Take Down in the Beta Red... 'RECOIL was hit with recoil!')
Doduo - Dodo.
Chansey - Lucky.
Scyther - Stryke.

Good thing they decided to keep the Japanese names for the Kabuto line. I mean... Lantis? MAZDA KABUTOPS?!

(Ahem).

baratron

Staff member
As someone's bumped this terribly old thread ;).

QuagsireQing said:
The NY/LA joke from Koffing and Weezing's original English names live on in FireRed and LeafGreen. The Tangela you receive in a trade from Norma is nicknamed "Tangeny."

:shock: I cannot believe how many minutes it took me to work out what you meant!! Just didn't notice the endings of the two names...

Keleri said:
Omanyte - Ess
Omastar - Kargo
Kabuto - Att
Kabutops - Lantis

Yesterday I transferred some Pokemon into Colosseum to level up in the in-game Mt Battle, and halfway through dinner came, so I asked Richard to carry on playing for me. He insisted that my Dratini and Omanyte were "a slug and a snail". So I'm just now noticing that "escargot" pun and going ARGH!!

Atlantis is pretty bad, too.

Alex Bock said:
Dosen't anyone besides me think umbreon should evolve by moon stone and espeon should evolve by sun stone I mean it makes perfect sense since all the other evee evolutions evolve by stone plus it fits them.

That would make sense. I wonder why they don't? Seems a bit strange that you can get Eevee in FR/LG and yet, even though you can get quite a few of the G/S/C Pokemon on the Islands, you've got no way of accessing those two Eevolutions without trading from Colosseum or to Ru/Sa...