• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

In which generation did you get into Pokemon?

In which gen did you get into Pokemon?

• Kanto (R/G/Y/B)

Votes: 97 70.8%
  • Johto (G/S/C)

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • Advance (R/S/FR/LG/E)

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Post-Emerald

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
Personally, I fell in love with Pokemon in the First Gen., and have loved the original 151 better than any other set of Pokemon ever since.

I got Pokemon Red, picked Charmander (which started my long line of fire-starter since then. ^__^), and set out on my adventure. The sad thing was, I was pretty much following the Anime with my game- For instance, when Ash got to Pewter City to face Brock, I used my newly caught Pikachu from Viridian Forest, leveled it up on every trainer I could on the way, then used it mainly during the battles... I really didn't Expect Brock to be that weak, though...

Blah blah. Anyway, when Gold/Silver/Crystal came out, I was still playing Red. I wanted to catch 'em all, damnit! I couldn't get into the games without having 'finished' the first one.

...I finished it, got Mewtwo and the lot, had my Charizard fully leveled, then Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald came out.

I got Ruby, and you know what I did? I couldn't find the Masterball, because I was used to just getting it and going. I killed Groudon (;__;), encountered Latios twice... Without Scary Face... Even though I had several Pokemon with it... I pulled them out at terrible times.

However, I enjoyed just running around with my Kanto-Age Pokemon like Pikachu, Rhyhorn, Dodrio, Gyarados, things like that.

I am attempting to get myself a DS and Pearl now...

Well it has to be the Johto series.I personally think its the best anime even up to now.And they have the best theme song.And one more thing,the Johto pokemon look awesome.

the fire red & leaf green versions (kanto) my classmate let me borrow her gameboy w/leafgreen tape i tried it out then a few weeks later i bought my own (fire red version)

I've been into Pokémon ever since the animé first aired in the United Kingdom, and ever since Red and Blue were released over here too. God, brings back memories of back when my mother would confiscate my Red cart if I misbehaved... and I knew exactly where she put it. ;D

But yeah... I forget how I heard about Pokémon exactly, but it was probably a commercial. I used to actually watch TV regularly back then. :o

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I bought blue. I was the only kid who did cause every one else thought the one with the flaming dragon on it was cooler. Then I sort of fell off the wagon. Then the GSC fiasco. I'll sum it up. Lost gold. Bought silver. Got it taken away. Got Crystal. Spilled coke on it.

Anyways Blue rocked.

i would have to say kanto....but i didnt get into the games, until the tcg came out, and i was hooked! literally tradeing away at school....i miss those days....well ive grown out of the tcg now , its gotten to difficult, but i still play the games and curently i am playing emerald. i sitll watch the anime, the last seson was the best, seson one sucked....i didnt like the dubbing, ash sounded gay....
;D

Kanto. My mom bought me Yellow for my sixth birthday, along with a Gameboy Color. Then I bought Blue. And later on got Silver for X-mas, and bought gold. I sort of lost interest right before RSE came out, and gained it again when they announced DP.

Blue was my first Pokémon game, and one of my first video games period. I got it around 3rd grade I think (wow, nearly 8 years ago :o) and instantly got hooked on it. I got Yellow and then Red a short while later and for a while all I wanted to do was link between the games. XP

Then I found out that G/S were coming out, and since I loved Blue so much I just HAD to get it.

So basically, 1st gen was what got be hooked. I'm an oldschool-er, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoenn was my first region. I had got a good amount of money for my birthday and heard my friends on the playground talking about their games. So, the following weekend, I got Emerald. I got Torchic because the TCG poster that had the Hoenn dex on it said that Torchic evolved into Blaziken. Then, I Loved it.

2 or so years later, and I know more than my friend who has been playing for longer than me ;D

I'm a Pokemaniac, so run! Flee! Ahahaha!

ah, i'm a first generation fan ^^

back then (i was in fifth grade) i knew people were playing pokemon, just really didn't have an interest (eh, i guess i didn't look well enough) until i saw someone's cards.... i thought the pokemon on them were adorable >_< (given, one of them was vulpix, so cute ^^) and the guys were selling commons for a nickel, uncommons for a dime, and rares for a quarter... needless to say, it hooked me (bet he feels stupid now for selling them so cheap XD)

my first game was yellow, after seeing someone else play the blue version... and soon after, i found there was a TV show (WOOT XD) by that time, i was totally obsessed (in math class, instead of taking notes, i would draw pokemon in my notebook... hehehe)

It was a LOOOOONG time ago, when it just came out in America. I was in like first grade when my brother and I first watched the anime. And then at school everybody (but us of course ::)) had the trading cards. When we finally got our mitts on some, they were banned from school! But I remember that my first rare was a Nidoking, and being the silly first grader I was, I traded them for cute Pokemon. *Palmface*.

When Christmastime came around, my brother got Yellow Version and I got nothing. It wasn't until Crystal came out that I finally got a game. Man, my Feraligatr on that has the worst moveset...

The first pokemon game I belive came out when I was really young. I lived in england from 1994 to 2000, and no one at my tiny little itty bitty 56 student school played video games. We played computer games instead. Since I am american, we would return to america every year four about two to three weeks to visit our family. Since my cousins got a nintendo 64, and got Pokemon Stadium, we played pokemon while we were there. We also watched pokemon while we were over there too. But I could not get my hands on a GBC, even if I tried. I didn't know it existed back then >>

Then I moved to canada in 2000. All my friends at school owned pokemon cards and beyblades. And since Pokemon aired in Canada and not in England, I was thrilled to be able to see the show more than twice a year. But it ended up that way because my parents were strict about watching TV, and we wern't really interested in it. (I only got into spongebob when I moved to the US at age 11, and I still love that show to this day x3). But that's when I got into the anime. The were in Johto at the time.

Then I finally moved back to the US. I discovered the Game Boy Advance at my cousin's house, and I decided I wanted one. I saved up 80 dollars painstaginly, and bought a GBA. I decided I wanted the pokemon game, since I had seen my old friends play it and I loved the TV show. I decided on Sapphire over Ruby. I played the game and fell in love with it's charms. My brother and sister followed my lead (lucky ducks, they waited till christmas and they both got one), but my brother didn't get a pokemon game untill Fire Red.

I got a 64 shortly after (it was about a half year since the Gamecube was released, and we decided on a 64 because that's the first consle I had played and I didn't really know about gamecubes), and now I just love pokemon.

I finally got a Gamecube for christmas about 2 years later. Then a year after that, I decided on a DS. I bought one about 3 months before chrismas (I used my birthday money, and bought a used DS at the store), but then 3 months later at chrismas, my brother and sister both got a DS, and I was soo pissed because I had to buy mine with my blood.

And then we got a Wii for this christmas (YAY.)

And I 'apparently' lost my DS, and then about 6 months later, one week from the D/P release, and I got fed up of my lack of DS, so I bought a nice, onyx DS lite (I absolutly LOVE it), and then a two weeks later, my brother said he found my DS in his room, and I wansn't that pissed. I love my Lite. :3

Ok, I'll shut up now...

82b8fdce54c3926540f562264f85ae0b.png

I first got into pokemon when i got my gameboy advance. The only game i had was mario 3.
Then my friend gave my his ruby vesion in exchange for mario. I was instantly hooked. at the time i didnt even know that there were other versions such as r/y/b and g/s/c but ruby was my main. When emerald came out i bought it off my friend and almost comleted my pokedex. I got the ds for christmas(special edition mario RED) and started off with mario kart again. and when dp came out in april my b day was in june so i waited till i could get it for a b day gift. And it was the best game i ever had ;D ;D ;D

Well I first got interested after I saw the anime after it first aired on T.V. awhile lator I started took intrest in the game so my brother gave me his red version after ha had another one for himself. Later I got silver LOVED IT! By the time generation 3 came out I had started to lose intrest so I missed quite a few episodes and did'nt bother to get saphire or ruby but my friend lended me his ruby and let me restart it the new graphics where great and I loved creating a base but not enough to get me to like it as much as i use to.(because of this Im not all to familiar with hoen pokemons types for example I thought alteria was a flying/ice type. Anyways my brother bought both diamond and pearl.(one for him and one me) He told me to choose one so I chose pearl so I figured if it was free I should atleast play it I did and I fell inlove with pokemon all over again.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Ah, I still remember....
I was four, or three, or even five, back then. This person brought a pokemon videotape thingy and showed it to the entire daycare I was at. He/she (can't remember...) said it included Exeggcutes. I said, "Eggs are cute?", and he/she just kept repeating, "No, Exeggcutes!" Right after I saw the episode, March of the Exeggutor Squad, I was hooked for a while. Then, this thing called "elementary school" started, and I was busy with homework, and Pokemon was old news. Then, after Ruby/Sapphire/Firered/Leafgreen came out, I begged my parents to get me an SP and a pokemon game, because all my friends played them. And so, now I'm a fan of Pokemon, despite what people say to me.

Started out in the days of Red and Blue. I was playing Red, my brother Blue. He didn't play it with nearly enough zeal. I was able to convince my friend Scott to play by having him play the beginning battle.

His reaction: "The battles are like FF7!" ::)

Though I really hit my stride with the card game. We went to ToysRUs each week, then one week the 'Gym Leader' running the game quit. I offered to run it in his place. So I was an offical Pokemon Gym Leader for the card game. It was a hoot.

I started with Pokemon Gold and then back tracked to Pokemon Red. I've beaten every game, so I've been a Pokemon game fan since Gold came out (1998 or 2000, can't remember, which was it)

I first discouved pokemon when ruby came out, so i got a copy and liked it. now i play diamond.

Here is my trainer card:
[Card removed]

Mod Edit (Yoshimitsu27):
Warned for attempting to post the trainer card.

I've been with Pokemon since it first arrived in the U.S. I've recieved every Pokemon game except for Pearl. I've beaten all the Pokemon games with the exception of Diamond. ^^

It was a LOOOOONG time ago, when it just came out in America. I was in like first grade when my brother and I first watched the anime. And then at school everybody (but us of course ::)) had the trading cards. When we finally got our mitts on some, they were banned from school! But I remember that my first rare was a Nidoking, and being the silly first grader I was, I traded them for cute Pokemon. *Palmface*.

When Christmastime came around, my brother got Yellow Version and I got nothing. It wasn't until Crystal came out that I finally got a game. Man, my Feraligatr on that has the worst moveset...

its okay,me too, i trade rare for cute.And yes, my first was Gold

I remember the day I got red for my birthday (also my first ever game), many years ago. I was amazed by it. Truly.

I used to try and press the 'down button' to scroll text instead of a (They never did explain that :p)!

I raised a charizard and that was it on my first run...

Then I developed a team that I used every new game, being: Charizard, Dragonite, Gyarados, Alakazam, Aerodactyl and Exeggutor. Ice weak, I know.

I hate ice. >_>

I think I was five when a good friend of mine introduced me to Pokemon. Actually a group of us used to sit around after school, (I was in an after school program) and trade cards. I didn't have any, but a friend of mine gave me one for free. All I remember was that I ended up with a Dratini. In fact, I still have it! Man, those were the days. :)

Those truly were the days. I remember loving the music... I still do...

I remember a few new-games later that I could battle Gary if I tried to go to the pokemon league before the Boulder Badge! :O

And I knew nothing of EVs IVs or anything like that... Just simple gaming.

I also never used to go to the ice cavern because I couldn't be bothered with all the figuring out puzzles! XD

And catching that lvl 7 Mew... AND MISSINGNO. CHEAT! Ahhhh.

And there were like 2 PP UPS in the game. :|

Began when I took a trip to America during the summer Holidays. Saw the Pokemon anime and got hooked, so when I got back to England I waited until the trend started here too. Funnily enough, I didn't actually have a Gameboy at the time, but when I did get one; pokemon yellow had just been released.

Pokemon Yellow was my first pokemon game, so Gen 1 got me hooked.

Ah, the good old days. I got into Pokemon in the first grade. When I was five. Wow, it has been nine years since then. I remember I had watched the very first Season of Pokemon on T.V., the Kanto Anime. I loved it. All my friends were collecting the cards, so of course, I demanded them in an instant, and dragged my Mother to the story the next day xD. I recieved my first Booster Pack in a Toys R' Us near me. I was kind of confused at first. Yet I soon learned. I then, later that week. I went over to my friends house, and him and his Dad taught me how to play the TCG game. That was the funest experience I can remember with that particular friend xD.

I remember later that year, everyone was carrying Pokemon cards to school, and trading. The teachers got mad, and banned Pokemon cards from school xD. Yet being the rebelious little five year olds. We brought them anyways, and traded on the playground during recess xD. I remember there was the "cool kid" in the grade, that sat over on his a picnic table during lunch, surrounded by all his little friends. Supposdly he had the best cards in the whole grade. So therefore, wanting to see this for myself. I approached him and asked him if I could look at his cards. He said yes, and layed them all out for me. I was amazed when I first saw them. Yet the one card I can remember so clearly is his Holographic Vaporeon. I wanted that card so badly, yet he wouldn't trade me for anything. So the first grade ended.

The year rolled on and I was in second grade now. I was still watching the Anime on a daily basis, and I had even gotten my Mom to play the TCG game with me, and she liked it xD. My mother even knew all the 151 original Pokemon xD. So that year for Christmas. I got Pokemon Yellow, and a limited edition Yellow, Pokemon Game Boy Color. It had little Pokemon on it and everything. It was amazing. I immediatly started laying. Yet, not really knowing what I was doing. I completely messed up my team set. I had Picachu at quite a higher level then all of the others. Getting the strategy guide, and Pokemon Blue just a couple months later. I continued to play those two games. I remember I was sitting on the couch, playing Pokemon Blue and I had finally got my Worturtle to level thirty-six, so it could evolve. I was cheering up and down, and my Mom was even happy for me. Then I accidentally clicked "B", and stopped the process. I immediatly started crying, saying I ruined my game. My Mom was trying to fix it, yet she couldn't. I then thought, only being in second grade. That I was going to have to restart the whole game. So I did xD. I then later learned that I could have just gotten it to the next level, and it would have evolved xD!

So all during these two years I had been collecting the TCG cards, and had a ton of them. My parents enjoyed helping me collect, so they would buy me super rare-indvidual cards from online. That made the "cool kid" in my grade jealous xD!

So ever since then, I have loved Pokemon. I have every game, and play every game. I continue to collect the TCG cards when I can. Sometimes, in rare ocassions, my Mother will still play me the TCG game xD. So, ever since first grade. I have been a huge Pokemon fan.

Ahhh...I remeber the day it happened. I was about six, I was flipping through the channels when the title "Pokemon" caught my eyes. "What is a pokeman?" I asked and turned to it. I can't remember which episode it was, but I was hooked on it instantly. But my obbsession didn't begin until I wnet over to a friend's house. She had a Crystal version and I began to play it, the I saw Cyndaquil and I have been obssesed with pokemon ever since. (Yes, my favorite pokemon, Cyndaquil, got me into pokemon!)

i got introduced to pokemon by my uncle when i was 4 yrs old he gave me my 1st game boy color and my pokemon blue i bought my pokemon red and pokemon yellow my game boy advance sp and my pokemon crystal and my pokemon ruby/saphire/emerald i have all the games 2 date but the diamond. he got bored and i got hooked. haha guess that's how life is huh?

I got into pokemon in the third generation. One day at school one of my friends was laughing like crazy over something, she said she'd tell me a joke, but she had to write it or it made no sense. So she wrote on a piece of paper, 'So I herd you liek mudkipz.' She handed it to me, I had no idea what was so funny about this, she said a total n00b messaged her with this (of course she didn't know how many people say this) and she thought it was so funny, I asked her what mudkipz were. She explained to me, and gave me a Mudkip card, saying I could keep it. And, so, since mudkip was the first pokemon I learned about, thus I really like it.
Eventually I wanted more than a mudkip card so I got Emerald and a DS, soon after I got Diamond, and now I want Mystery Dungeon 2.
Today I'm still a pokemon fan. Yay.

Got pokemon red for Christmas when it came out and couldnt put it down :p then got into the anime and so on and so forth.

Cant seem to grow out of it lol

People don't realise how much effort and maths go into pokemon, it's not childish at all. Sure, it's aimed at children, but some of the language used wouldn't be understandable to children, and the use of subtle jokes etc make it appealable to adults for another reason other than just a fun game.

i've been a fan since the kanto region i remember when i got my first pokemon game it was my b-day i was in kindergarden it was a pokemon yellow: pikachu edition bundled with a purple gameboy color and i just checked my gameboy my party was Pikachu lv.92 nidoking lv.72 pidgeot lv. 86 charizard lv. 89 blastoise lv. 79 and venusaur lv. 86 and i had caught 149 pokemon (stupid seafoam islands could never get articuno)

I voted on the Johto selection, but it was kind of Johto and Kanto at the same time. I got both games but never really understood how to play it at first. (I was like uber small :-X)