• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

In the news...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I can't remember if it was Messenger Live or my hotmail that directed me to this news story, but it's pretty neat.

Scientists discover dozens of new species in Papua New Guinea

So I was thinking... Why not start a thread consisting of interesting news stories we find around the web? Can be about anything really (although game/Pokemon related stuff should go on the appropriate forums - like this general gaming discussion thread), just link to 'em via their headline.

Feel free to comment on articles posted by other people, too.

Goodwin's Home Vandalised

This provide some nice back story to Mr Goodwin (not Sir), so some might appreciate it. I take it to be a mixed bag, but vigilantism is quite romantic.

I shan't mention the first story that came to mind as it's not overly appropriate for this site. It's somewhat juvenile.

Edit: Found this just now, it's quite sweet - Thai Spiderman

Not an official News Story, but thought I'd mention it.

We're doing a fundraiser involving lawn flamingos at our church.... (yeah, I'll explain it if you want me to)

It was discovered that over half of them were stolen, and left a ransom note. Yeah :\

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7986816.stm

If you don't have a smile on your face by the end of this story, your humanity card is revoked.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Aww. That's awesome - it's nice to see the Big Beeb reporting on something nice and uplifting for once.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Puppy ;____;

It's pretty amazing how adaptive house-kept dogs can be when they're on their own like that. This is why, even being the dog freak I am, I'm always wary about approaching stray dogs. Also, to swim that far? Maaan... The dog did better than I could do. Great story. Cute doggy, too XD

What a wondeful doggie story.

Annoyingly enough, I can't actually find a link for this, but it was mentioned on Gaydar radio (yes, I listen to it) this morning: apparently, the next full moon (which is this week, in the UK at least) will be pink.

A pink moon, should be fun :)

Ah yes, but it't not quite full yet! I think the next full moon is Thursday, though I'd check it against a moon phase site (which are usually some ugly geocities things with pretentious Wiccan sprites).

I heard this on the radio today that they are raising prices on coffee and sugar! Such a darn shame for those who go to Starbucks or McDonalds, having to pay extra (unfair, right?).

I heard this on the radio today that they are raising prices on coffee and sugar! Such a darn shame for those who go to Starbucks or McDonalds, having to pay extra (unfair, right?).

It'll be the Boston Tea Part all over again...

But I haven't seen any interesting news stories yet today... but I did see one about a week ago, this woman got a call from her neighbor telling her not to go outside because there was an Alligator on her doorstep. O_O I thought that was interesting, but it's old news anyways. *shrug*

I'm guessing that's to do with the 'credit crunch' or recession as it is (depends on which country you are currently in). Also, does Mexico grow coffee beans and sugar? That could have somethng to with it.

On a side note, claiming money on you swimming pool because you're an MP seems to be the big thing right now. Our (well, England's) Political Overlards are back-tracking but seem to make no apologies. Bloody suits.

This article just brings to light a strange phenomenon that seems to re-occur every so often: that people will trust anything so long as it looks genuine. This usually happens to Joe Bloggs in the street, rather than a major media company (which newspapers are these days). Sadly this illustrates that in our 24-hour news world, the journalists are going for hits now and facts later, if at all. Frankly they could be corrupting history by their own laziness and that's a disturbing thought.

History no longer written by the victors, but by those who report on it (and badly)?

This actually happened in my high school ( I copied and pasted this since I can't remember half of this)

SUGARLOAF, May 22, 1:15 p.m.: Minutes before second lunch at Big Bear High School, students were evacuated to the tennis courts due to a bomb threat. Big Bear City Fire Department, Big Bear Sheriff's Deputies and California HIghway Patrol are at the high school investigating. Students are being released. The threat came in the form of a note.

Big Bear High School is the school I go to. The source was from http://www.bigbeargrizzly.net/articles/2009/05/23/news/breaking_news/doc4a1709d5cdb27686850177.txt

I got some news for 'ya.

he Houston Bomb Squad was called in by the Jasper County Sheriff's Department on Monday to diffuse one of two homemade bombs that was left at a residence in Evadale.

According to information from Chief Deputy Ralph Nichols the bomb squad was called in after deputies arrived at the residence on County Road 796 following calls involving the discovery of the homemade bomb.

Reports indicate that the homemade bomb was found outside the residence early Monday morning. During the early morning hours of Monday residents at the home had called the Sheriff's Department to report a gun being shot nearby.
A deputy was dispatched to the scene and was unable to find anyone shooting in the neighborhood. It wasn't discovered until the next morning that the gunshot was actually one of two homemade bombs going off.
That was when the second bomb, which hadn't diffused yet, was found outside the residence.

Nichols said that both bombs were made from empty Boone's Farm wine bottles that were filled with chemicals, nails and heat packs to set the bombs off.

The bomb squad from Houston came in and spent part of the day disarming the second bomb.

Nichols added that the Sheriff's Department is working on some leads in the investigation and is dusting the second bomb in an attempt to obtain fingerprints.

From the Silsbee Bee

Last edited by a moderator:
Teen Who Fled Cancer Treatmeant

Aparently Chemotherapy is against his religion.

Here

A girl was diagnosed with a treatable kind of diabetes, but instead of taking her to treatment, her parents prayed for her instead. Her parents are on trial for murder.

==================

EDIT://
Woman Loses Limbs do to Kidney Stone.

This is outrageous. Those Doctors need to be put in Jail for a while, and then have thier lisense to doctor [Or whatever it's called XD] be taken away. The have no right to be Doctors anymore.

Since the accident, her and her husband got divorced, and cannot work. She is living on 1,600$ A month for diability. She has over 800,000$ worth of medical bills, that she shouldn't have to pay! She should get a couple million dollars so she can live in "comfort" (If you can live in comfort with fake legs and arms...)

I got some more news for you. A friend of mine is on the cover of the Silsbee Bee.

By GERRY L. DICKERT
The Bee
full_974.jpg

Joseph Dailey is not at all unlike most of the kids graduating from Silsbee High School this Saturday.

He admits he's a pretty good student when he applies himself but that his mind sometimes wanders off to a place where he would rather be writing songs than writing English essays.

He's laid back, not the best dressed, but well-liked and sometimes gets in trouble at school because his hair gets too long.

Joseph seems pretty typical as far as teenage boys are concerned. Considering his family history, and what might have been, Joseph is not at all typical.

For most of his life, Joseph has known there is a man out in the world who is his biological father. He refuses to claim this stranger as anything more than a DNA donor who happened into his mother's life nearly two decades ago.

"My mother was married to this man and she really tried to make it work," he said. "But drugs controlled his life, and she wouldn't let his drug addiction affect her children."

Joseph's parents separated when he was still tiny and the couple tried to make it work. But the drugs won out over family and Joseph, his sister and mother were left to make it on their own.

They've done just fine, he says.

"You get dealt a set of cards and you do what you can to make it work," Joseph said. "My family has played the cards it was dealt."

Joseph is a member of the Silsbee High School graduating class of 2009. He has been accepted to the University of Texas at Austin where he will major in theater studies with a minor in music composition.

His love of music is evident in most of the activities in which Joseph takes part. He writes his own music and lyrics and performs at benefit concerts, at nursing homes or at the Logon Cafe' in Beaumont.

He is a young man standing along in the center of the stage, strumming a guitar and blowing a harmonica for all to hear.

And his songs often tell the story of a boy who grew up from meager beginnings, learning tough lessons along the way.

All the while, though, he has maintained a positive approach to life, giving more than receiving, caring more for those than often he cared for himself.

"That's something my Mom taught me," he said. "You should take care of yourself, but it‘s your responsibility to take care of the people around you too."

His caring nature was rewarded with accolades from his SHS classmates as he was selected Best All-Around, Most Friendly, Most Popular, Class Favorite and one of 10 male students selected among the SHS Who's Who. He was also chosen Prom King.

"Those things mean more to me than anything," he said. "The Satsuma Awards are voted on by the senior class, so to know that people think that much of me really is important to me."

By all rights, Joseph most likely would have been another sad statistics where the child of a drug addict is concerned.

Joseph credits his mother as the family's savior.

"She wasn't going to let someone hurt her children," he said. "My biological father had a hardcore drug addiction and my Mom didn't want that for her kids."

After a separation period failed to bring Joseph's father around to the reality of what he was about to lose, his parents divorced.

Soon, it was Joseph and his little sister Anne-Marie and their mom working together to survive as a family.

"My Mom is the reason I am where I am today," said Joseph. "She taught me never to be a quitter, never to give up."

She taught that lesson by example. Eventually she met Richard Parker and they married. Now Joseph had a new dad and another little sister, Theresa.

"I have a biological father and I had a Dad," he said. "My step-dad hasn't always been able to come to everything I've been involved in, but he's always ‘been there' for me. He's my Dad."

Joseph's biological father reappeared briefly when he was in junior high. "When he abandoned us, I thought that was the last I'd ever see of him," Joseph said. "I came home one day when I was 14 and he was there. It really upset me. I forgave him and I was sorry that he missed out on a relationship with his kids. But at that point it was too late. The last I heard he was living in Alexandria (La., ), but that's all I know. That really all I want to know."

Against all odds, Joseph grew up as a motivated, thoughtful individual. But he beat even greater odds when he earned entry to the University of Texas as an incoming freshman this August.

Rarely do students earn acceptance to UT unless they are in the top 10 percent of their graduating class. But there are exceptions, and Joseph is one of them.

"They asked me to write essays as part of the entrance requirements and I wrote about my past and how it affected me," he said.

Joseph is particularly excited about the music of the Texas capital city and the opportunities he'll have to perform in Austin.

"I hear that it's not hard to find a place to play in Austin, it's just hard to get paid to play in Austin," he said.

And as close a relationship as his mother and Joseph have, he says that her only concern is that he reap the full benefit of the opportunity that awaits him in Austin.

"She said she just wants me to do what makes me happy," Joseph said. "I would be happy just to make her proud. That's what I plan to do."

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard this from my science teacher. They say that the planet Mars will be seen on earth in August. This happens around every 800 years. I may need my camera to take the pictures. :p

I heard this from my science teacher. They say that the planet Mars will be seen on earth in August. This happens around every 800 years. I may need my camera to take the pictures. :p
I thought you could see planets all the time? I've seen Venus a load myself.

Or maybe its obviously seen? Ie, red dot :p

I believe Mars is fairly obvious, it comes up as being a shining red orb, marking it out from being a star. Venus is fairly easy to come by, IIRC, it tends to come up around dawn and dusk.

I don't know that much about the localisation of seeing stellar bodies, but I think a couple of years ago Mars was visible where I am.