• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

If there was a fire...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
What would you save? There's quite a lot of stuff in my room, most of which would be deamed useless or silly. I probably wouldn't risk my ass to save most of it. So what would you save? What's the thing you treasure the most?

I'd save my Gerbils (obviously) If it was between my life or them i'd rather burn. I love the little buggers way to much >>

I have a teddy that my mum gave me when I was little, that she's had since she was little. So its over 50 years old now. It's so old infact that it doesn't even resemble a bear. Snowy lost his ears, his original head and his legs. My grandma made him a new head out of a white sock, and knitted him new legs... and made him clothes to cover up his weirdness ;D But I still love him

Thats about it really. Everything else I could live without I guess. Maybe if the flames gave me an extra few seconds I'd grab by Gryphon and Pikmin plushes... and my DS of course :p

(I hope this hasn't been done before)

Hmm, this is a good question, and one that I have thought about. Before my gerbil died i would have save him, but i don't need to worry about that now.

Well next to my bed I have a small treasure chest with two things very special to me. My grandpa passed in the past few months so I have an old jungle rapidash card that he bought for me a long time ago, also there a pin from our favorite ride at disney world, we would go on it all the time! So I can just grab that box. Other than that I don't really know, I could live without alot of stuff, and I would rather save my own life. There are some autographed baseballs that if I had time I would grab, as well as my state quarter collection but other than that, not too sure!

Great question though!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Thats the one thing I don't like about Gerbils... they don't live that long compared to lots of other pets :(

The treasure chest sounds lovely, its a great idea to keep special things in just one place. I have a chest around my room somewhere, I should find it I guess...

I'd probably panic and just worry about getting the rest of my family out. The only things I'd probably remember to save are the soft toys by my bed, one of which oftens holds my DS.

Cat first and foremost, laptop and DS and I guess thats all that truley matters, my BF could crab the big comp on his way out.

If my life or someone else's wasn't in immediate danger I would take my laptop, purse with all its regular contents inside (contents include my ipod, wallet, cell phone and digital camera among other things), DS with Diamond and Emerald inside, my Bible, and my school books and throw them all in a crate and run. Why school books you ask--you should see how much I paid for them. :) Depending on how much time I had, I would also rescue my Fruits Basket manga collection as well.

Screw my stuff! It's every man for himself!

I mean, I'm attached to a lot of my stuff. My general rule for getting rid of it is to keep what I can get away with. But if there was a fire, my stuff would probably be the last thing on my mind. It's the smart thing to do, anyway. You gotta get out of the fire as promptly as possible. Besides, this way I don't have to get rid of all my junk myself. Most of it is at Public Storage, anyway, so I don't have to worry about that.

If I had time, I'd probably grab my DS and my iPod, though I have no doubts that my DS could survive a fire, and I'd probably pick up a lot of random junk like CDs and my drawing book along the way just because I saw it and don't have time to think.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with GM on this. I can't read this topic and not think "Screw all my stuff - my life comes first =/" because as much as I'm attached to my things, and as much money as they've all cost me over the years... I can always buy them back. Even some of the more rarer things I've collected don't really mean that much to me when compared to something like my own life, my family's lives, and my dog's. Doesn't mean I'd let my things be destroyed for no good reason (and if you lay a grubby hand on my Pokemon merchandise, I kill you >=O), but in this situation? It'd be a fairly good reason to let it all burn.

Chances are if the fire wasn't major to the point that I COULD get my stuff out, I'd probably just try putting it out myself with our own fire extinguisher. Otherwise, yeah... Save the mutt and the kids! The parent will hopefully follow xp

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
If the fire was really bad, it would only be my Gerbils I'd rescue, because like you say, there's no point burning for stuff you can buy back. However, stuff like Snowy my teddy can't really be bought. I could easily buy a new teddy, but it wouldn't have all the memories and meaning. So if I did have the time I'd save him. Otherwise to be fair I agree, Gerbils and people first!

T

TrainerJimmy

My house was on fire this summer, and everything was safe. Except for, you know, the walls and stuff.

My house was on fire this summer, and everything was safe. Except for, you know, the walls and stuff.

Wow, I find that hard to beleive.

I would save my DS, this laptop, My Stuffed Turtle, My Stuffed Snake, My OLD Stuffed Cat, My newer Stuffed Cat, My Buizel plush, my Charizard Pillow, My Family and My Cat(And other pets).

I guess this kind of depends on my location in my house. If I was near a door or something I'd probably just end up running outside and helping any of my family members or my dog get out safely. If I was in my room, I think I'd just open a window and throw random things out and then either jump out myself or try and find a safer exit. If I was near a fire extinguisher, which I have no idea where any are in my house, I think I'd attempt to put out the fire. But yeah, depends on where I was.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My Buizel plush

I have that plush. He's so cute ^^ He's next to my Pikmin Plushes, which I said I'd save, so I'd probably grab him too ;D

If I was near a fire extinguisher, which I have no idea where any are in my house, I think I'd attempt to put out the fire. But yeah, depends on where I was.

My room is the attic, so not much would survive being thrown out of the window. I used to have a 'master plan' that involved smashing my window, sitting on my mattress with my gerbils and throwing myself out - safely landing on the mattress

If there was a fire, my pets would be the first things I would make sure were safe.. After that (this is a very materialistic thing to say) I would grab my game systems and CDs... and thats about it. Sounds funny saying I'd grab my game systems, but its not that hard to grab them, so I would.

I have to agree with Linkachu and Gardevoir Master. My possessions are meaningless without my life and my parent's safety. If I deserted everything that meant most to me to grab a handful of material items, I haven't said much about my moral values.

While I can completely understand being attached to material goods, they would never come first to me (especially since we have home owner's insurance). I also agree with Linkachu that if I could save most of my things, I could probably put the fire out myself. If it were a grease fire I would use baking soda, and anything else, the outside hoses should take care of.