• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Identity Problem

I saw that mental illness was something not very welcome here, and I thought to myself, "This might affect my experience here."

Not in any way towards anyone directly, be it random lashings of anger or depression, but rather it might affect my roleplaying. I switch "personas" like Severin Viper to Baluc Scor, or to Calder, my water type persona. I even change my name in the chat, as you all have seen "Baluc Scor."

Should I go as well?

Rex

Resident Furry
What?

I don't know what you're talking about. We have said nothing about Mental Illness and our opinions about it. That person who keeps logging on isn't being kicked because he "sociopathic", which, to be honest, he probably isn't. He's being kicked because he's being annoying to chat, which got him banned. He's using Proxies and different IPs to get through the ban, and keep coming back.

Mental Illness isn't a bannable offence on Charms, being a Ban Evader and a Troll are. To be honest, I don't know why you put this on the forum either. Really, you're in chat right now, talk to one of the mods about it. And if they intimidate you, ask one of the rest of us. Problems in chat shouldn't be put on the forum, as it just doesn't make you look good. Okay?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "mental illness isn't welcome here". There are plenty of members with various interesting conditions. I'm on the staff, and I've been on psych meds for longer than some of the members here have even been alive. (Yes, I'm old).

People with mental illnesses are perfectly welcome. What isn't welcome is bad behaviour blamed on your illness. If you are feeling unstable for some reason, don't come to this forum and spew about it. Don't make dozens of posts begging for attention because you're feeling bad. Don't have fights with other members, and then ask for leniency because you weren't in your right mind.

I see no reason why you shouldn't become as long-running a member as I am! (My biggest annoyance with the new forum software is the loss of our original join dates - pretty sure I've been here since 2004 or so though).

I hope this answers your question.

Also, if Rex is right and this relates to something in the chat, PM me when I'm on the chat using /msg baratron. I'll happily talk to you there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
To second it, what baratron said here pretty much sums up our rule re: mental illness in the chat (well said, baratron!):

baratron said:
People with mental illnesses are perfectly welcome. What isn't welcome is bad behaviour blamed on your illness. If you are feeling unstable for some reason, don't come to this forum and spew about it. Don't make dozens of posts begging for attention because you're feeling bad. Don't have fights with other members, and then ask for leniency because you weren't in your right mind.

Bottom line is that bad behaviour is bad behaviour (and you don't need to be mentally unbalanced to act poorly). We'd like to hope that everyone who uses our forums/chat realizes when they need to walk away from the PC and cool off. If you're out of line, you will be removed (temporarily or permanently) by staff.

Also, regarding the usage of many different nicknames in the chat... We don't mind people changing their nicks, nor force anyone to use a single nickname. Many of our chat regulars change their names so often that you can rarely tell who they actually are. XP

Just be sensible about it. If you're playing around as a different persona or poking fun at a friend, that's one thing. If you're being obnxious and trolling, that's another. You'll be kickbanned for the latter.