• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ideal Team for Ash? (Spoilers)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Out of every Pokemon Ash/Satoshi has access to right now, what combination of six Pokemon would be your ideal - may it be for favourites or strength/balance?

For anyone who hasn't kept track of the show, Pokemon he has access to are as follows:
- Pikachu
- Corphish
- Swellow
- EDIT: Donphan
- EDIT: Sceptile
- Torkoal
- Glalie
- Bayleef
- Totodile
- Cyndaquil
- Heracross
- Noctowl
- Snorlax
- Bulbasaur
- Kingler
- Muk
- A bunch of Tauros
- Charizard (Fairly easy to contact when needed)
- Squirtle (?)

Note: I'm not including Pidgeot, Primeape, or Lapras because, while they probably would lend a hand if needed, we have no idea where they are (less so with Primeape, but we still haven't heard from it since it left). Lastly, if the Pokemon hasn't evolved yet don't list its evolved form :p

Anyways, my choices would probably be Pikachu (you heard me), Charizard, Grovyle, Snorlax, Corphish and either Phanpy or Heracross. I love Bulbasaur and Bayleef but Grovyle seems to be the best battle-wise IMO, and Corphish has seriously grown on me. Charizard is still one of his best Pokemon to date, Snorlax is Snorlax (^_^), and Phanpy or Heracross would give his team a good balance. I guess Glalie could probably take one of their places, too... I haven't seen much of it yet aside from the episode Snorunt evolved in.

That said, I really want to see Phanpy evolve, and unlike a certain Pikachu it actually has the potential for that to happen sometime soon.

1) Corphish - Too cool not to have. I don't see it evolving into the Dark-type Crawdaunt, but it's better as a Corphish anyways.

2) Noctowl - While I love Swellow, we need more Psychic- and Ghost-type attacks from the antagonists.

3) Muk - It does wonders for me in the game, why not the show?

4) Torkoal - Such a crybaby, but it learns Overheat! Heck yeah!

5) Charizard - True, there's already a Flying-type and a Fire-type on ths team, but it's got attitude and seems to be tough to take down.

6) Cyndaquil - Okay, I admit I just chose these with a random generator, and three Fire-types is probably too many.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Indeed, which would definitely make my team for him: Pikachu, Grovyle, Donphan, Corphish, Snorlax, and Charizard. Makes me wonder if any of his other Pokemon will evolve before the Battle Frontier finishes off. There are quite a few potentials at this point and the anime has shown clearly that it's getting over its evolution issues. I vote Cynda to Quilava! ^^

Well, Pikachu, obviously. He couldn't really get rid of it. Not just because Pikachu's Ash's best friend. Seriously, how would you send a pokemon to Professor Oak who won't get in it's pokeball?

Groyvle would be good. And then maybe Charizard. After all, he doesn't burn Ash to a crisp anymore. Then Cyndaquil, Kingler, and Snorlax.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh. I need to update my ideal Ash team again. While I do love Grovyle for looks, Sceptile pwnz it for sheer power. A team of Pikachu, Zard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Donphan, and Corphish would kick all kinds of ass.

It'd be even better if Corphish finally evolved, and you never know with this generation of the Anime...

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hmmm. Have you or the internet got any idea what Ash's Pokemon's current movesets are? I have a feeling that he's also quite inclined to do the n00bish thing that I always did before I came here, and has multiple attacks of the same type on his pkmn. Misty does as well - I remember at least one of hers has both Bubble and Water Gun. (Why bother with Bubble if you have the more powerful Water Gun? Makes no sense!). I know attacks in the anime have extra effects that they don't have in the game, but even then...

Just based on possible movesets rather than the ones he actually has, I'd definitely go for: Pikachu, Bayleef, Heracross and Snorlax, plus 2 more with Fire, Flying, Water and Ice-type attacks. I suppose that Fire and Flying attacks could be handled by Charizard, and a Water-type could have the Water and Ice attacks. Glalie's weird - being pure-Ice type rather than Ice/Water, it's vulnerable to Fire, and it learns only Normal, Dark and Ice moves, no Water at all.

I've picked Bayleef over Sceptile simply because I prefer her, but Sceptile is admittedly more powerful :(. It would help if he ever evolved some of his poor pkmn... it's difficult to pick a starter, knowing that first level evolutions are weak compared to third level. I'm avoiding Noctowl because I hate the thing, and Donphan because I find Ground types have too much of a disadvantage, being weak against both Water- and Grass- attacks. There are so many Water and Grass type Pokemon anyway, and then three powerful Water moves on HMs, meaning that they get given to all sorts of non-Water pkmn.

Yes, I overanalyse everything too much, go figure ;).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm. Have you or the internet got any idea what Ash's Pokemon's current movesets are? I have a feeling that he's also quite inclined to do the n00bish thing that I always did before I came here, and has multiple attacks of the same type on his pkmn. Misty does as well - I remember at least one of hers has both Bubble and Water Gun. (Why bother with Bubble if you have the more powerful Water Gun? Makes no sense!). I know attacks in the anime have extra effects that they don't have in the game, but even then...

The Anime doesn't really follow movesets like you'd see in the games. Every move a Pokemon learns it can use from then after, no matter how many attacks it knows total. You'll often see Pikachu swapping back and forth between Thunder Bolt and Thunder, as well as Volt Tackle in the current Japanese episodes. It can also use Quick Attack, Agility, Thunder Shock, Iron Tail, etc. Sometimes the animators get stuck in slumps and repeatedly use the same attacks over and over, but that's just them being lazy (or, if you want to stay in the context of the show, Ash being uncreative :p).