• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Hurray For Girls!

Alright...All female team, haven't started to breed them at all yet. Want opinions and alternative move-sets. Will be raised for competetive, in Platinum.

Nidoqueen
Naughty
@ Shell Bell
Earthquake
Toxic
Crunch
Ice Punch

Ninetales
Mild
@ ?
Flamethrower
Ominous Wind
Will-o-wisp
Captivate

Dragonair
Lonely
@ Haban Berry
Dragon Rush
Aqua Tail
Dragon Dance
Safeguard

Blissey
Modest
@ Power Herb
SolarBeam
Recycle
Softboiled
Helping Hand

Gardevoir
Calm
@ Wise Glasses
Dream Eater
Hypnosis
Thunderbolt
Calm Mind

Thank you for any help!

Well, the Shell Bell doesn't do much for Nidoqueen, seeing as it only has one move that almost always inflicts massive damage. Also, why not evolve the Dragonair? It's not like it's gender will change upon evolving.

P.S. - If a Pokemon has Cute Charm or Attract, your team is so screwed.

A lot of people prefer Dragonair to Dragonite as far as looks go. Not that I'm one of them: I prefer Dragonite's cheerful expression to whatever Dragonair has going on any day of the week. I should also say that Attract and Pokemon with Cute Charm are uncommon in competitive battling.

And even if Cute Charm were common, only Nidoqueen and Dragonair would be in "danger" because they're the only ones on her team carrying direct contact attacks.

...But I digress. I was wondering if you were willing to rebreed--for both natures and moves, because I think a Timid or Modest Nature would work better for Ninetales. Energy Ball would be a good addition to her moveset as well as for the team in general. It would help Ninetales cover everything she's weak to (water, ground, and rock).

So the set may look like:

Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Will-O-Wisp
Captivate/Confuse Ray/some other annoying move

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
P.S. - If a Pokemon has Cute Charm or Attract, your team is so screwed.

That's the price you pay when making a speciality team. If she used male gender Pokemon, it wouldn't be an "all female" team anymore, eh? ;)

I'm curious whether or not this is meant for single or double battles seeing as Blissey has Helping Hand. That could alter the types of suggestions moveset-wise people give you. I'm also wondering how dead-set you are on those 5 Pokemon, because I'm noticing a lack of resistances and coverage for certain types.

You've two Ice, Ground, and Water weaknesses but only Ninetales and Dragonair to resist Ice and Water - nothing to resist Ground-types. Blissey with Solar Beam is also the only real effective Ground-type counter you have as many of them have higher defenses than Special defense, and its Sp. Attack isn't that high to begin with. While Ice Punch and Aqua Tail will definitely hurt for SE damage, they might not do the job as well as they could.

Those are just a few of the holes worrying me with this team. I apologize for not having the time to give a fuller reply, but I'd look at the team a bit closer and judge weaknesses/resistances and the attack coverage you have type-wise. Some of these sets would be in real trouble if Taunt came into play (and from what I've heard, it is a frequently used move in competitive battling).

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Overall, that moveset for Blissey could be far better. Building an entire moveset around SolarBeam when Blissey doesn't get STAB on it and has somewhat poor Sp.Attack is just pointless, and does not make the most of Blissey's abilities at all.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
Bold/Calm

- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam
- Aromatherapy/Thunder Wave

Seismic Toss is by far Blissey's best way to dish out damage, since it deals out the same damage to everything you use it on. Ice Beam is there as a means of dealing with Ghost-types, since they will suffer 0 damage from Seismic Toss. Softboiled is mandatory on any Blissey set really, and the final move is down to personal preference between the two, whether you want to disable opponents or support your team. Helping Hand, even in a double battle, isn't a particularly great move considering a Seismic Toss and a second attack can usually inflict severe damage on a lot, if it doesn't outright kill the target off.

Nidoqueen is better off with Black Sludge over Shell Bell, since Shell Bell is quite unreliable when it comes to healing. Also, swap Toxic for something else - typically Toxic isn't that useful unless put on a moveset built around its use, and it shouldn't be used as a random filler move.

Finally, Dream Eater is a bad move to have on Gardevoir thanks to the nerf to Hypnosis's accuracy as well as the ever-present Sleep Clause. Psychic is the STAB move of choice on Gardevoir in every situation.

As for Attract, it isn't a very common move to see at all since its reliability is very poor overall - it only works on opposite gender Pokemon for one thing. It never works on anything that has no gender, and its effects can be neutralized by switching out. Although someone could easily lock you down by laying down Spikes/Stealth Rock and then Attract-phazing everything that you send out, the odds of this happening are very rare and even if it does, you don't necessarily HAVE to switch out upon being Attracted.

I have this annoying habit of not liking to repeat natures and move-types in a team. I'm trying to let it go for this team!

I'm curious whether or not this is meant for single or double battles seeing as Blissey has Helping Hand. That could alter the types of suggestions moveset-wise people give you. I'm

Single mostly. Helping Hand was last-minute, late-night filler.

[quote author=King of Lucario link=topic=5978.msg98496#msg98496 date=1240940788]
Although someone could easily lock you down by laying down Spikes/Stealth Rock and then Attract-phazing everything that you send out, the odds of this happening are very rare and even if it does, you don't necessarily HAVE to switch out upon being Attracted.
[/quote]

I don't really care about the Attract weakness of the team and yes, that is practically non-existent with the people I'll be up against.

Nidoqueen
Adamant
@ Black Sludge
Earthquake
Poison Jab
Crunch
Thunder Punch

Ninetales
Timid
@ Wise Glasses
Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Will-o-wisp
Confuse Ray

Dragonair (Dragonite, which I have two of already, doesn't look female to me)
Lonely
@ Yache Berry
Dragon Rush
Aqua Tail
Dragon Dance
Safeguard

Blissey
Calm
@ Leftovers
Seismic Toss (Where does it get this?)
Softboiled
Ice Beam
Thunder Wave

Gardevoir
Modest
@ Light Clay
Psychic
Light Screen
Shadow Ball
Reflect

[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=5978.msg98492#msg98492 date=1240939397]
I'm also wondering how dead-set you are on those 5 Pokemon, because I'm noticing a lack of resistances and coverage for certain types.
[/quote]

Once I think of something else female to add I will but for now nothing stands out... Any suggestions at all would help.

Thank you so far!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Once I think of something else female to add I will but for now nothing stands out... Any suggestions at all would help.

Froslass could be a choice. I also suggest Kangaskhan or Miltank but since you're already using Blissey you probably wouldn't want to double up on Normal-types.

Personally, I'd have two other suggestions for a nice female for your last slot.

Milotic@Leftovers
Bold

Rest
Sleep Talk
Hypnosis/Dragon Pulse/Some other attacking move
Surf

Er, it's a Rest and Sleep Talking set. Since I'm pretty sure Milotic can come in pretty easily on the switch in, you can let it take a hit, then if you lost a good amount, Rest, which would then activate Marvel Scale. After that happens, Milotic can effectively stay in for quite a long time, even against Physical attackers. While you're sleeping, you can Sleep Talk. I put Hypnosis in since when I had a Milotic, it never was my lead, and I usually switched it in to soak up some sort of special move, and I'd have to Rest immediately, so I never had time for Hypnosis. Er, Surf is for STAB. By the way, why didn't you put a Milotic in before? It's in your name >>

The other one would probably be, at least for me, Jynx. It's a girl, resists Attract, and can put the opponent to sleep quickly, plus, it can Focus Blast any Dark Types that stop Gardevoir.

EDIT: Also, Blissey gets Seismic Toss from a move tutor in Fire Red or Leaf Green.

*Goes to wait to be shot down for suggestion*

I agree with Tangrow here since two of your pokes are weak to ground the addition of a bulky Milotic can help alot. Plus I dont think there is a girlier pokemon.

Jynx would be great too, I would consider her over Dragonair or Ninetails or maybe Gardevoir to not add an additional Dark or bug or ghost weakness. A swift peck on the check and no pokemon can resist the vixen!

By the way, why didn't you put a Milotic in before? It's in your name >>

Good point! I have two in other teams already >< I'm also trying to use some things I haven't before but...

[quote author=Tangrow link=topic=5978.msg98626#msg98626 date=1241037293]Also, Blissey gets Seismic Toss from a move tutor in Fire Red or Leaf Green.[/quote]

Urgh... I haven't seen my LG in a week or so. Is there another Blissey set that would be good? Or a Miltank set?

Instead of Gardevoir:

Jynx
Modest
@ ?
Psychic
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Lovely Kiss

Instead of Dragonair:

Milotic
(Bold does what again?)
@ Flame Orb (Activates Marvel Scale and I can't have two Leftovers in one battle)
Surf
Ice Beam
Recover
Hypnosis/Mirror Coat

I was considering getting a Swellow. It would add another Rock weakness though...

Swellow
Adamant
@ Toxic Orb
Aerial Ace
Facade
Steel Wing
U-turn

A female gyarados would be kinda funny too, could be the surprise female. That is if you dont want to play another Milotic. Item on Jynx could simply be Wise glasses since you cant go choice with lovely kiss.

For miltank (which I would recommend over blissey for sheer fun factor) a traditional set that I have played alot is the following:

Miltank@Leftovers
Scrappy trait
Defensive nature that lowers speed (cant recall the name atm)
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Heal Bell

With that set, Miltank will act as a cleric for the whole team and can become a dangerous foe with enough Curses under her belt. Even fighting attacks will not leave as big of a dent after a couple curses.