• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

How to Train Your Dragon

Last night, I saw 'How to Train Your Dragon' (on DVD) for the first time. It was amazing! The animation was excellent, the characters were decently developed, and the dragon hive thing was unexpected. For the first time ever, I have to say the movie was way better than the original book. I read on Wikipedia today that there is supposed to be a sequel. However, what else is there to build off? The new dragon-based economy? Hiccup's new foot? More AstridxHiccup? I hope it doesn't go the way of many other sequels. *cough*Shrek*cough* I just hope they focus on something other than fanservice.

A

Anonymous

When I saw this movie ,it was the best movie I've ever seen. I agree about the whole AstridxHiccup thing.The next movie should have more.Lot's more.A whole lot more. (and no I'm not a perv :p)So for me the verdict is More Dragons and more AstridxHiccup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. It was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The bond between Hiccup and Toothless was very heartwarming, and Toothless was just hilarious XD

As for the sequel, it will more than likely have something to do with the Vikings having to conquer some other land, but something also tells me that perhaps Dragons will be abused in some way. I don't know why, but the thought of people constantly riding them would make me think that they would start thinking that they own them. Who knows what it would be about, but hopefully the sequel will be just as awsome as the first :)

Yes, I do think there could be issues between the dragons and riders, as the dragons seem to be as intelligent as humans. There could definitely be some anthrocentrisim here. However, wouldn't that destroy what was built up in the previous film?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I saw this movie in 3D in theaters, and even after re-watching it on bluray it's still one of my favourite animated movies in years. Like Secad said, the characterization was excellent, the pacing and movie plot was wonderfully done, and the Toothless is bloody adorable. I love everything about that movie. ♥

As for a sequel... ugh, I don't really want to think about it. I felt the first movie was a complete package deal, and I can't imagine how they could expand on it further. Just seems like they'd be cashing in on a good thing, as usual. =/

I actually read the book. The movie didn't really reflect the book, but the movie was the cutest I've ever seen. I think they could have put in more AstridxHiccup there.
And sequel... I have mixed feelings. Because the first one is so much cute and feels complete, I don't really want a try to repeat the same thing again. On the other hand, they might base it more on the book this time...

PokeGirlPraure said:
I actually read the book. The movie didn't really reflect the book, but the movie was the cutest I've ever seen. I think they could have put in more AstridxHiccup there.
And sequel... I have mixed feelings. Because the first one is so much cute and feels complete, I don't really want a try to repeat the same thing again. On the other hand, they might base it more on the book this time...
I agree the book compared to the movie had almost no resemblance but it was still pretty good. Showing how Hiccup and his nightmere (toothless) both helped one an other out. Sequel? Seems that it could be ok but hope this time its relates more the book. Still the movie was one of the best for its fans.

Last edited by a moderator: