• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles How to make Hitmonchan good?

Hitmonchan is my favorite Pokemon, but he's kind of outclassed by... well, most other Fighting types. Basically, his weird stats confuse me when it comes to EV training, and he wishes he had double the moveslots. I suppose I could post the rest of my team idea, but that would be a huge post. This is for PSS battling, so keep in mind his level is going to be 50 when giving EV advice!

Hitmonchan @Life Orb
Iron Fist (what else, lol)
Jolly or Adamant
252/252 speed and attack? Should some go into Special Defense?
-Agility/Mach Punch
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch

I really wish the Hitmons didn't have such lousy HP, but for some reason they were not some of the lucky oldmon gifted with increased stats. I don't know if Agility or Mach Punch would be better. I suppose my problem is that I can't see how Hitmonchan could switch in safely and have a chance to set up. The team does have wish/healing support, which might help with him with coming in. Doubling up on move types is generally bad, but Drain Punch is to recover from Life Orb recoil. Choice Scarf or Band are other ideas I had. I have a feeling that building a Hitmonchan is a lost cause, but if someone more knowledgable could advise on something I overlooked, I'd love to hear it!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This is the set I'd personally use:

Hitmonchan @ Leftovers
Iron Fist
Adamant
252 HP/Attack, 6 Def

- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Rapid Spin

Hitmonchan's best trait is Rapid Spin by far, and every Hitmonchan set should carry it purely because you may as well use a different Fighting-type if you don't. Hitmonchan's Speed is too lackluster to bother with and since his Sp.Def stat is quite good, bolstering that with HP training works a treat since he can heal himself with Drain Punch. Ice Punch is handy for dealing with Flying-types and Bullet Punch is just there for priority really, and it's chosen over Mach Punch due to it being able to hit Ghost-types which will likely switch into Hitmonchan with impunity once they realize it carries Rapid Spin, and Hitmonchan has little else to use against them unfortunately.

Oh yeah, I've thought about Rapid Spin (infact, I have a 3 iv Hitmontop future dad). At the very least, I can breed it onto him and then tutor it back on once bank opens up and sneaky pebbles become more common. It really is hard to find a niche for this guy and not have my brain go "Man, maybe I should use Hariyama/Chesnaught/Conkeldurr/ANYONE". Thank you for the advice!

edit: I forgot to mention that this is going on a game-made team, and only have a single Leftovers, which my Vaporeon and Aromatisse are fighting over. I'm trying to get more via pickup but... it's only a 1% chance. That's why I was wondering about the Choice Items or Life Orb since it's more feasable to get multiples of those. I suppose I can try Shell Bell in a pinch...

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post, but I didn't want to clog up the forum with a new topic. I have a 5 IV (dump stat attack) Bold Togetic that I'm not sure what to do with. Unfortunately, I didn't breed Nasty Plot onto it, but I guess this is something I could do in a day. I've thought of an Assault Vest set with 4 attacking moves, though I know most people use Thunder Wave for paraflinching. Also I'm not sure I like the lack of Roost. Basically, there's a ton of good sets for kiss.
And I still only have one leftovers :(

Apologies for the double post, but I didn't want to clog up the forum with a new topic. I have a 5 IV (dump stat attack) Bold Togetic that I'm not sure what to do with. Unfortunately, I didn't breed Nasty Plot onto it, but I guess this is something I could do in a day. I've thought of an Assault Vest set with 4 attacking moves, though I know most people use Thunder Wave for paraflinching. Also I'm not sure I like the lack of Roost. Basically, there's a ton of good sets for kiss.
And I still only have one leftovers :(
The set I've gone with for my Togekiss:

Togekiss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 64 SDef / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

Doesn't need Leftovers or Nasty Plot, works pretty well. Needs Rapid Spin/Defog support without a doubt, though. However, if it's Bold, you might want to go with something more defensively orientated, like T-Wave, Air Slash, Dazzling Gleam and Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Aura Sphere. You could replace one of those last two with Roost, but that would limit your options attack-wise.

Oh yeah, I saw your thread and meant to comment on it, but I wasn't giving a team rate, just wanted to say "I like your Togekiss build!". I'll try that defensive set and if it doesn't serve me well, I'll breed up a Modest one. Maybe I'm a freak but I love breeding/training more than battling, haha. I've got a Donphan ready for Rapid Spin support if rocks end up giving me problems.