• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

How to find the dimensions of the playground that will enclose the greatest tota

P

Peter

A rectangular playground is to be fenced off and divided into two parts by a fence parallel to one side of the playground. 360 feet of fencing is used. Find the dimensions of the playground that will enclose the greatest total area.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Uh hi. I guess if you're asking for help with homework or something? I can't help you :V But I'm just making sure so that other people know, people who can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
it'll be a 60 x 90 playground.
I'll scan in my (dad's) work later :D

EDIT: Alright, after talking to my dad today, we were able to come up with two ways to solve this problem. His way is with calculus; derivatives and whatnot. It's with the dA/dy stuff. I solved the problem by solving for the square.

Anyways, we found two equations because this is a two-variable question. Since the total fencing required is 360 ft., and there's a wall down the middle of it, and if x is the width of the playground and y is the length, then we get the equation 3x+2y=360. Then we find the area, which turns out to be xy. Then you use substitution in the first equation, so that you end up withs something like (360-3x)/2=y.

So then you plug that in to the second equation, so that A=x((360-3x)/2). Simplify that so that you end up with 180x-3/2x^2.

This is where my dad and I split, and I'll let you try to figure out what we did from the scan. :3

1o3t3c.jpg