• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

How soon are you planning to advance to the next generation?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
When considering the Gen IV content yet to be created on our Games Wiki, I got to thinking... How soon do the majority of you plan to buy Black and White when they're out in North America/Europe/etc.? Will you pick one or both of 'em up release day, hold out for birthdays/Christmas/when you get a paycheck, or wait awhile and continue to enjoy games from the previous generations? Many of you have already played the Japanese versions of Black/White, so for you guys tell us when you're planning to buy the English games (if at all).

Myself, I'll be buying both Black and White on their release day in Canada. I'm honestly at the point now where I'm finding it hard to play the Gen IV games because I know B/W's releases are so close. I've wanted to restart Platinum for awhile now, but I'm not sure if that'll happen anymore. I might hold off on it for a year or two, after I've abused Unova to death and want a change of scenery. I'll still be using my Gen IV games for battling and obtaining certain moves that I can't get in Gen 5, but overall me thinks that once B/W are here they'll be claiming 95% of my Pokemon gaming time.

How about the rest of you?

BlackRoseJack

Formerly psy-teen
I think I will definatly move onto gen V when its released in england if its not released with a collectable figure then i shall enjoy the thrill of buying it in person :)

I have enjoyed platinum and I will probably transfer some of my pokemon from there to black I cant wait to bbe perfectly honest ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll buy it on release day (have done that since Platinum) and complete the transition to Gen V :>
I will go back on HGSS to catch Mewtwo though (something I have been putting off for aaaages.)

God willing, I'll have Black on release day so I plan on moving on to Gen V immediately. This time around however, I'll be more reliant on the previous generation than I was last time for Move tutors and TMs that are now unavailable in Black and White (perhaps the third version will change that). There's no question that Black will be taking up most of my Pokemon gaming time though. I haven't played any ROMs so far, so when I buy the game, it'll be my first time playing it ever. And as I've done with the previous generation, I've also held off listening to the music so I can experience that for the first time when I play Black.

Eeee, March 6th can't get her fast enough ♥

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already played a complete English-patched version, but that won't stop me from buying White on release day. Playing it on an actual handheld will provide numerous extras that can't be done on a computer(ie, trading and such) that really could've helped(I'm looking at you, Roopushin and Gigalith).

I'll still play previous gen games, as I still play stuff like RBY and GSC(I pretty much need to play Hoenn in order to get some delicious goodies from there to give to the Gen IV games) :>

And to those that haven't played a ROM version, I'm going to say this: at least you have more patience than me XD

I plan on snagging myself a copy of both games as soon as they come out on their release day here in the UK~
It's the first time I've already had the money ready and waiting to purchase my Pokemon games, since my birthday is in November and I have to wait all year to see if I might get them as gifts :c

But not today(this year)! >: D
I've re-started my SoulSilver, Pearl, FireRed, Ruby and Emerald games and they should all see me through to whenever the games are released here- PLUS some hardcore school work.
I need to get my head around my prelims first, and if I feel I've done my best- Pokemon Black and White shall be my congrats <33

Kasumi xx

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I probably won't end up grabbing mine until I go on spring break (which will be sometime in mid-March). It'll suck a bit for everyone around me to be playing the games whilst I wait, but I know that if I buy it when it comes out my school work will fall into the crapper and I can't really do that around finals time. >>;;

I'll eventually transfer everything worthwhile from my Gen IV games to my Gen V one(s) and reply them (although I only have SS left to restart).

I usually move to the next gen when they hit stores, if not a month after or for graduation. Hopefully sooner than later. I just can't play it willy nilly, as since I have school, then my parents will think that it will make my grades drop.

I'll be preordering once I get back to university, and I'll pick it up the day of, no questions. I've been waiting for this game for so long. The only experience I got was in moon language, and I'd love to see what they did with the plot and such :3

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
For me it all depends on how much I complete in Re:Coded when BW come out. KH comes out next week so if I beat it by March 6th, then I'll get White right away. If I haven't, White will go on the back burner until Re:Coded is completed to my liking. It also depends on how soon I can get to Game Stop and/or what's going on at school at the time.

I'm planning to wait for the third version to come out because I've recently started feeling self-conscious about getting to many video games which cost a lot. So hopefully the Pokemon that I like will be in the next version, eh?

When Black and White come out here in the states is the day I will get it. I have been wanting these games since they were announced so yea my transition from gen IV to gen V will be a quick one

Probably as soon as possible. I have a LOT of Pokemon so it'll take a while, but it'll happen. I was able to do it from Emerald, so I can from Platinum to White. This time, I probably wait until after a couple playthroughs. That's the only disadvantage of keeping a game on a version. I've only played through Platinum once, the best of Gen IV (that aren't remakes).

I'm slowly pressuring my Dad into letting me pre-order White. Then as soon as he says yes I'm shooting off to the EB games at Indoroopilly to pay the Ten bucks needed.

Then on the day I'm going to make him drive me there to pick up mah game. Then, I'll most likely be playing it for 48 hours straight in order to get my otter/gloop to an okay level/evolution. Then I'm going on the mini-tourney and attempt to whoop people's Arses.

There's no telling how long it'll be before a proper English version arrives here in the Philippines, but I expect it'll be here within the same week as the NA release. That said, I'm already saving up and will probably be able to get it ASAP, though I don't think I'll be moving everything to Unova, mostly just the competitive stuff really. B/W might be the latest game, but that doesn't mean its the best. (HGSS still wins for aesthetics and bonus content alone)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
It all completely depends on whether I get a new DS or not, and by then the next handheld gaming system from Nintendo (after 3DS) would've been released in Japan, so I think I'll unfortunately pass getting a generation V game. I could, of course, just download a DS emulator and play the games on my computer, but I do prefer the actual games rather than a copy for the computer, if only because I could actually trade/battle/whatever with others that way. :x

The day it comes out . But if I can't get it at the time , then I probably would proceed after I finish my Pokemon SoulSilver version first .

Well, I already have it pre-ordered so no doubt the day it comes out I will be rushing to JB Hi-Fi (An Australian game store). I will probably send over all the Pokémon to my Generation V games and I will then start to play 24/7, in till there is basically nothing else to do... 8). I just can't wait for its release! (I have never been the excited about a Pokémon game before!)

At least when I get the English copy I won't have to read anymore Japanese! (It's so hard to follow the storyline when you don't even know what they're talking about!)

How soon am I planning on advancing to the next generation?

Not for quite some time.

I'm honestly not digging these new 'mons, except for a few (Braviary, Tsun(dere)bear, and Ulgamoth).

I dunno, I expect eventually I'll get bored with Generation IV and drag my ass out of my hidey-hole and grudgingly fork over fifty bucks for Pokémon White, but that won't be for a couple of months, easily.

So...yeah, not soon at all.

When I can, have the money, time, and means of transportation when I have my own house (which should be very soon), I'll be buying out White version (I'd prefer the eagle over the vulture) and get the Black version for my girl friend. This will make us more competitive and definitely trying to top one another while that one is busy or whenever!

We will fight nonstop though, she'll probably get that polar bear and I'll get myself the badger and we'll kick some serious butt. Hey, how awkward would it be if we get into our first pokemon battle over wifi or just in the room, she enters the room and then I enter the room at the same time, both of us are the same chick... WTF?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I shall be moving along straight away, my copies are all happy and pre-ordered ♥

Obviously Gen IV will still play its part - as previous people have mentioned many moves are unavailable in Black and White. Plus, I'm not sure whether I'm going to leave my team on HeartGold or transfer them over. I probably will end up sending them all over, but I'm still undecided for the most part.

Atma

Formerly Karu
Lovin' my pre-order, postal too so always the chance of nabbing it a couple days early. Express post etc too~ =3 So I'm sorry but Pokeymanz for me~ ♥ As for the team, I have a template set out but will likely trash one or two members =V

Gen IV's potential to mix with Gen V is of no interest to me. Never linked outside of gens other than events(such as fetching a celebi, regis and hopefully Zoru-thingie) so why start now? :p

Apparently you CAN trade in games for pre-orderable games at EB Games, so I think I've convinced my dearest father to let me pre-order~

*Blazi is ttly catching a Reuniclus in the first hour of gameplay whether it kills him or not >:3 (or his save file)

With any luck, waiting for Game to open on release day! I'll leave my HG lot a while, and have another crack at PBR with that save, before having a big reunion on White for all my 3rd and 4th gen teams. As my flat mates will likely do the same, I can't wait for the royal rumble of past competitors that will bring. I've pretty much stopped Diamond (where the vast majority of 3rd gen stuff went), and will be concentrating on beating Red before the 4th March. When I do, I will likely put Hg down to, just to avoid constant use of the same teams, and make that generation leap all the better.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm moving to Gen V as soon as it's released. Honestly, Gen IV's given me everything it has to offer now and it's time to move on. Don't have much more to say than that really.

White is pre-ordered and ready to go. I pretty much missed the entire gen IV since I didn't have a DS, so I'm really looking forward to something new ^^;

A

Anonymous

I already pre-ordered it. I was hoping for a figure but turns out you get some sort of sticker for your door.

I'm getting Black and White on the first day they come out, as soon as possible...
Well... that's if I'm not busy with homework
But I want to get them as soon as I possibly can.
I might just ask my parents to buy them for me while I am at school.

Well, I recently got an update from the fam. My great-grandfather is turning 91 this weekend, so I have to go to his party. Because it is on the other side of the state, I cannot pick up my copy. That means I will start Gen V on the seventh.

I'mm getting both Black and White as soon as possible, but hopefully on Sunday.

It might take a little longer, but I'm certainly going to get the games within a week of their North American release, because that's when I have to pick up my preorders by~