• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

how do you pronounce "pwnd"

I have had a long lasting disagreement with a friend over this and we simply can't come to a conclusion, so you guys'll just have to solve it for us:
How do you pronounce pwned?
Is it pronounced as it's spelled (i.e. sorta like pnnnd?)
Or is it pronounced my way (the right way) - pooned?
Or some totally diffrent way?

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I kinda pronounce it as 'purned'. Kinda. It's like halfway between 'purned' and 'poned'

Edit: actually, i don't _say_ it at all =o

wow, I had no idea the world was so diverse with ways to pronounce pwnd!
It seems everyone in sweden goes with pooned (except my friend)

I think that "pwinned" thing is sorta close to what my friend does. It's like he's spitting when he says it :p

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
One of my friends says it "Poned", but I say it "pawned". I guess it's all on opinions exactly how it's mispelt, y'know, which letters should be added in and stuffs.

I just say Owned as pwnd is just a typo that has since become part of "leet speak" which I personally find to be annoying and childish...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ditto to Weavile. I say "pwnd" like pnnnd/puwnd. I only started using it more often recently, though. In the past it was always just "owned" or "burn".

I just say Owned as pwnd is just a typo that has since become part of "leet speak" which I personally find to be annoying and childish...

Tsk, tsk... I thought I knew you better, RL. Then I find out I don't know you at all... *shakes head*

I just pronouce it "powned".
Awe c'mon RL, L33T SP33K is hilarious. Why else would Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time have L33T Hammer Bros.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
OMGTWFBBQzorZ!!!!!!!!111!11! lol n00b saibot. >>

(ahem) sorry, sudden attack of lame netspeech.

Anyhow, I never put much thought to the issue - since I don't really pronounce it. In my mind, though, it usually works as 'pawned'/'poned'/really Owned with a P welded to it. Although sometimes I come up with wierd variations. >>

Tsk, tsk... I thought I knew you better, RL. Then I find out I don't know you at all... *shakes head*

Im just full of suprises really... I dispise it when I go on the internet and see people writing lots of leet, I mean if its generally a mistake that people have made like hitting p rather than o or whatever then fair enough, but when people purposely type in that way in seemingly normal context it just bugs me alot of the time...

Gah I sound like an old man... quick youth serum me!!!

Okay!

*gets out a Poke-ball and releases a Delibird from it*

Me: Any youth serum in that sack of yours?

Delibird: Del-li! (Yes, sir!)

*Delibird gets out a bottle from its sack and hands it to me*

Me: Here ya go, RL!

and then to find out it was the old people serum.....

you: delibird miss read the package..

delibird: del-li?

rlrl: nnnnnnnnoooooooooooo......... now hes even older

"Owned"= "pwnd"

Kids started with "I owned you!"
Then it just became 'owned!'

Then a little girl with a speech problem would scream out "powned!"

Lord knows why, but I don't.

Anyways, people used to make fun of her for doing it, and would immitate her. Then someone spoke up. "Yeah, well you just goted powned by someone who can't even say it right. You must suck majorly!"

And since the person they made fun of was the one who was kicking them around, the word 'powned' grew ten-times in power and usage.

The internet has many ways of shortening words and whatnot, but its still prnounced the same.

"Powned"
Owned with a P