• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

How do they know which PokeBall is which?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I posted this same topic on Pskl (same wording n' all ;)) but I'll bring it over for you guys, too.

In the Anime how do Ash n' co. always know which Pokemon is in which PokeBall? You could probably aim the same question at the games (even RP), but it's especially bothersome in the Anime because we can clearly see that, generally, the characters PokeBalls all look identical with no unique distinguishing features.

One answer is that each PokeBall is kept in a specific place on a trainer's belt and they memorize the spot, but that doesn't account for trainers like Misty who keep them stashed away in a backpack. I'm also fairly certain that there have been times when Ash lost his PokeBalls, only to later find them on the ground and know exactly which Pokemon is in which ball from simply staring at or holding it. Do the PokeBalls give off some sort of aura to let the trainer know which is which? Do they actually have tiny distinguishing marks that we don't get to see? Or is this truly just the case of the creators getting off easy?

Thoughts? And at least try to be insightful :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I imagine there are distinguising features on every Pokeball - like paint scratches etc. For example, I have a couple of identical toy Pokeballs, but all are scratched a bit and all are scratched differently.

If I put one of my many mini figures into each one, I'd still be able to tell who was in what ball just by the scratches.

It's not the creators getting off easy, it's the animators for not putting in the detail. ^^

Proof of this:

In the Golduck Ep, Ash hadn't a clue which Pokeball had Psyduck in it, yet Misty did. If it were anything else, Ash would have been able to tell too.

Linkachu said:
I posted this same topic on Pskl (same wording n' all ;)) but I'll bring it over for you guys, too.

In the Anime how do Ash n' co. always know which Pokemon is in which PokeBall? You could probably aim the same question at the games (even RP), but it's especially bothersome in the Anime because we can clearly see that, generally, the characters PokeBalls all look identical with no unique distinguishing features.

One answer is that each PokeBall is kept in a specific place on a trainer's belt and they memorize the spot, but that doesn't account for trainers like Misty who keep them stashed away in a backpack. I'm also fairly certain that there have been times when Ash lost his PokeBalls, only to later find them on the ground and know exactly which Pokemon is in which ball from simply staring at or holding it. Do the PokeBalls give off some sort of aura to let the trainer know which is which? Do they actually have tiny distinguishing marks that we don't get to see? Or is this truly just the case of the creators getting off easy?

Thoughts? And at least try to be insightful :p
well i think to begin with the pokéballs had marks but the artists painted over them

Last edited by a moderator:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
This is something I've always wondered as well. Mind you, not as much as I wonder other things about the anime.

Like, for example, it seems that the only animals present in their world are Pokemon. They don't have ordinary, "stupid" animals, only the intelligent Pokemon that can be trained. OK. So how come they eat meat? Are they eating Pokemon?!! OK, I'm a strict vegetarian, but I think even if I wasn't, the thought of eating Pokemon would be pretty gross.

And they never change their clothes, except occasionally if they put swimsuits on - nor do we see them do laundry. Ewww.

And the only way I can see them managing to carry all their stuff in those tiny bags would be if everything is put into a PokeBall-like miniaturisation device. Which is, I suppose, possible within the defined science or "magic" of the world.

And kids don't seem to need to go to school to learn to read & write or anything like that - they only ever go to school to learn about Pokemon. Interesting... Unless the reason why Pokemon Trainers have to be at least 10 to claim their first Pokemon is because they have to be old enough to be able to read guidebooks, look after themselves and go off travelling...

Where do they get their money from, to buy food and pay for boat tickets? Brock has a father who works (although I'm not sure how a Gym Leader would make money - it doesn't cost money to challenge the gym. Maybe trainees in the gym pay for the courses, or maybe the Gym Leader arranges public displays that you can buy tickets to). Misty has no parents, but sisters who are obviously not short of a few bob, as they can afford to go off on cruises and things. Ash? Well, he has no dad, it's unspecified what happened to the dad, and his mum doesn't work. So unless she's living off the dad's insurance policy, I have to wonder...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like, for example, it seems that the only animals present in their world are Pokemon. They don't have ordinary, "stupid" animals, only the intelligent Pokemon that can be trained. OK. So how come they eat meat? Are they eating Pokemon?!! OK, I'm a strict vegetarian, but I think even if I wasn't, the thought of eating Pokemon would be pretty gross.

What TBA says is true, although its probably one of the only times we ever see non-Pokemon animals in the show. I guess you can either take it to mean that other animals DO exist, they're just ignored, or the animators botched up and other animals aren't meant to exist in that world at all.

And they never change their clothes, except occasionally if they put swimsuits on - nor do we see them do laundry. Ewww.

Actually, on a few random occasions we have seen them wash their clothes, and sometimes they've been dressed in PJs. I think it's another case of "it happens, you just don't see it". When you really think about it, if you were a trainer traveling the world you probably wouldn't carry a lot of clothes with you either. Having at least one change of clothing would be more realistic, tho, but this is a kids show ;)

Although, the Cardcaptor Sakura characters change their clothing all the time ^^

And the only way I can see them managing to carry all their stuff in those tiny bags would be if everything is put into a PokeBall-like miniaturisation device. Which is, I suppose, possible within the defined science or "magic" of the world.

That sounds like something Stel uses in Pokemon RPs XD

And kids don't seem to need to go to school to learn to read & write or anything like that - they only ever go to school to learn about Pokemon. Interesting... Unless the reason why Pokemon Trainers have to be at least 10 to claim their first Pokemon is because they have to be old enough to be able to read guidebooks, look after themselves and go off travelling...

I've often wondered that myself. Pokemon trainers must not be the brightest people in the world if all they have is an elementray school education ;D

Where do they get their money from, to buy food and pay for boat tickets?

Pokemon trainers in the Anime appear to get a lot of breaks for food and shelter. Everything in a Pokemon Center for a trainer is free, and I'm sure a lot of other places in that world give discounts or freebies to trainers aswell. It'd explain why Ash seems to be able to get around easily while the TR trio is always having money issues.