• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Honchkrow needs a downgrade

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Okay so, much as I love Honchkrows, I love Murkrows more. Honchkrow has never really suited my battle-style, due to his speed. Thus, I'm thinking of training a Murkrow and keeping it as a Murkrow.

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
Insomnia
IVs: HP 27, A 3, D 26, SA 30, SD 26, S 30
EVs: Unsure, mostly special attack and speed

~ Dark Pulse
~ Icy Wind
~ Heat Wave
~ Sucker Punch

I'm set on a mixed attacker, mostly special, so this is what I came up with. Not much different from my Honchkrow, though obviously lacks Superpower due to Murkrow not being able to be taught it. Dark Pulse for STAB, Icy wind for Dragons and other flying types. Heat Wave for coverage. Sucker Punch is my physical move in place of Superpower, plus it may enable Murkrow to live longer. I assume people will see Murkrow, think "Mwahaha, one hit and it's dead", so Sucker Punch seems like the best option. Focus sash to survive the inevitable K.O

Oh yeah, she has Hidden Power Fighting.

She'd be on a team consisting of Manectric, Flygon, Floatzel, Miltank and Sceptile. A battle with El proved just how weak by team is to ice moves... although I'm not sure what can be done about that. Other Pokemon I like also tend to be weak against ice >_<

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated. I'd be willing to re-breed the Murkrow for a better nature/egg moves. If a Physical Murky would work far better then I'd be open to that too. Thankies ^^

Well the thing about murcrow is, it isnt very strong and the speed isnt that high either~
And if you think about using sucker punch then the speed argument isnt valid either because it is a priority move, so I would rather take honchcrow so that it could at least pack a punch.
If someone would switch in a murkrow I would switch into something that has dragon dance or something like that because I know that murkrow couldnt damage it that hard, and your sucker punch wouldnt work either D:

Im not a big fan of underevolved pokemon~

Oskar, if she's said she wants to train a Murkrow, you're not exactly being helpful saying she should get a Honchkrow.

You've also got for options, Psychic, Shadow Ball and a good Hidden Power.

Asides from that, I'd say you have a good Murkrow there :D I'd say EVs in special attack and speed, a few in attack so your Sucker Punch can pack more of a punch :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I like to think that Pokemon isn't just about who can pack the biggest punch, and that with the right moveset/training, almost all Pokemon have their uses :p

I see what you're saying about seeing Murkrow being a chance for a free set up. Murky can learn Confuse Ray as an egg move, which might be some way of defending against that, with a bit of luck...

Icy Wind lowers the opponents speed, which'd help me a little. Also, part of my strategy would hopefully involve the opponent already being paralyzed before Murky enters battle (Manectric with Thunderwave + Static and Miltank with Body Slam)

Meh... guess I'm just hoping that there's a really awesome combo for Murkrow that'd completely shock the nation XD

Asides from that, I'd say you have a good Murkrow there

Thanks XD
Took some breeding, but this little Murkrow is the sister of my current Honchkrow, who has similar IVs.

I decided against Shadow Ball a while back, but I can't remember why off hand. Psychic needs considering, if only to get my fighting coverage back since Murky has no flying move.

im just trying to help O:

and if you're planning on using your crow on paralyzed enemys anyways then honchcrow would be better again D:

but if you still plan on using murkrow because you just like it, go ahead!
EV in special atk and speed and off you go!
physical murkrow is an option too if your team is too heavy on the special side~

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since Murkrow lacks Honchkrow's power, sweeping is going to be a bit more difficult than usual. Fortunately, Murkrow has quite a few tricks up its...feathers?

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Super Luck
252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Pursuit
- Thunder Wave
- Sucker Punch
- Confuse Ray

Mad disruption at its best. Thunder Wave comes first - if the opponent outspeeds and attacks, then you'll still survive thanks to the Sash, then you can hit the target with Confuse Ray whilst they're paralyzed. Then the guessing game comes in - if you think the opponent will switch, hit them with a STAB'd Pursuit as they try to escape, and if they try to attack, nail them with a Sucker Punch. Very hard to use, but fun to the end if you can get it to work.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Heh, Re-breeding here I come XD

I'm liking this set, although with my horrible lack of actual battle knowledge I'd have to learn to pull this off...

Thanks, KoL. This is why I love you

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No problem. :)

Moving on, you mentioned the Ice-type weakness your team carries - Ice-type attacks are very common thanks to the great coverage Ice provides, so some sort of wall against Ice-type attacks would come in handy. Although Floatzel resists Ice, he's not the sort who can just switch in to attacks to block them - Empoleon is probably the best bet for dealing with Ice-type attacks, or something with Thick Fat to weaken Ice-type moves whilst also giving you a wide array of Pokemon types to mess with.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Pffff... I tried for so long last time to get a Miltank with good IVs and Thick Fat. I had limited time though, so I settled for the Scrappy 'Tank with awesome IVs. Alas XD

In a way that's good though, since now I have the time I can just get myself a new Miltank instead of switching Pokemon. Empoleon would be the ideal choice, but sadly I really can't stand that entire line XD

Thanks again! I think I'll re-breed Miltank first, as I was thinking of making a couple of chances to her anyway.