• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Hilarious Dub Edits

Please, please, please don't turn this into a dub versus subs/original flame war. It's a stupid and pointless argument

Have you ever come across a dub edit that was so stupid/hilarious that it boggled the mind?

I was watching the dub episode of YGO 5Ds when Yusei gets him Criminal Mark. They pull out this LETHAL LOOKING MACHINE and I was sure they were going to laser it on...but they just spray dye on his face. XD I had to go back and watch the original to get what I wanted.

And lets not forget all those onigiri/donut/sandwich things in Pokemon.

In one piece there are plenty of em. Cigarette = lollipop. You use props when impersonating someone. Poison suction cups. Actually there are just videos about the dub edits on youtube.

Oh yes, what about legendary beasts are now dogs hm? They could well be cats, foxes, wolves, dogs, or whatever. The original just says beasts :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Let's not forget that the douches at 4kids couldn't handle one of the One Piece characters being black, so they painted over him to make him white. >>;

Also, the 'Legendary Dogs'/'Legendary Cats'/'Legendary Gerbils' were never official names. They were fan names given to the species back in the dawn of the G/S era, before we got an official name in the forme of the 'Legendary Beasts'. I can't believe that retarded argument is still going on.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
There's no flame war to start. Dub edits are fucking retarded.

Only that's not really what she meant... She meant the dubs vs subs argument in general, and I very much agree with her. So if people know what's good for 'em, keep the stupidness out of this thread XD

Anyways... The invisible guns thing is probably one of the best. Same with the Digimon Savers edit. But what else...

It always amuses me when they badly edit on clothing to naked characters. I forget which series specifically, but the clothing seemed to hover over 'em like a cardboard cut-out. XP (They're only a model!)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
It always amuses me when they badly edit on clothing to naked characters. I forget which series specifically, but the clothing seemed to hover over 'em like a cardboard cut-out. XP (They're only a model!)

That always makes me laugh too, mainly because it is so obvious. It's almost screaming 'THIS CHARACTER WAS NAKED!'

The editting with blood has always amused me. It's almost ruined DBZ for me in fact - I recently bought the uncut boxsets and now every time I see blood (Which just seems to be everywhere compaired to the dub) I get images of the editors screaming 'Holy crap, get the eraser!'. Ruined. I guess the editors don't think American/European children can handle bleeding.

What makes me laugh is that I've seen none-anime cartoons with far worse. Plague Dogs. Dog accidentally makes a man shoot himself through the head. Childhood trauma. And as for Watership Down... the first time I watched it Dad (who was watching it with me) nearly had a fit and threw himself in front of the TV when Bigwig was caught in the snare XD

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Ah, dub edits...the level of retardation here sometimes reaches astronomical levels.

As Stel mentioned, the "invisible guns" - a key feature in Yu-Gi-Oh's Duelist Kingdom. It is what it is essentially - a gun that has been edited out whilst the person's hand still appears to be holding it, hence "invisible gun." It's lazy and pointless to me, because it not only looks dumb, but other non-anime cartoons have had the balls to show guns; characters like Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam almost always carried guns and used them (a bit too often in Sam's case,) and Bambi was shot by a hunter in his film.

My favourite dub edit by far was the addition of the "Shadow Realm" in the Yu-Gi-Oh! dub. Essentially, it was designed to circumvent the fact that throughout the Battle City arc, Marik was trying to kill Yugi in the original, so for the dub they decided to make death = getting banished to the Shadow Realm...which resulted in some of the most ridiculous things ever to appear in Yu-Gi-Oh! Circular saws designed to cut the losing duelists legs off and make them bleed to death were changed into "dark energy discs" that banished you to the Shadow Realm, the tag-duel on the roof of the multi-storey building where the roof would collapse around the loser and drop them to their deaths. For the dub, they'd end up falling into a portal that took them to the Shadow Realm instead. Just to add to the stupidity, Yugi vs mind-controlled Joey would have the loser dragged into the sea by an anchor, causing them to drown, and they didn't bother changing it at all! So, not only were the edits completely non-sensical plot-wise, but they were also proven to be pointless since they didn't bother changing one of Yugi's potentially fatal duels...although I guess having the water send you to the Shadow Realm on contact was a bit too stupid even for them.

Marik's Millennium Rod gets a mention here since in the original, it had a knife inside it which Marik (mostly in the manga as Dark Marik) frequently used to kill or threaten to kill people with. In the dub, the knife was removed and Marik simply banished people to the Shadow Realm instead, but in one scene just after Marik defeats Mai, the knife can clearly be seen in his hand. The sloppiness of the edits does get very tiresome, very quickly sometimes...especially since they proved they already had the technology to make the knife invisible in that particular scene.

One Piece needs no explaination - the quality of this dub is horrendous by any standard, and probably ranks as the most badly dubbed anime in existence today. Two scenes in particular got me - one scene where Luffy was stabbed with a sword in the original saw the sword get edited out...except for the part where the sword passed Luffy's arm, so part of Luffy's arm had the same colouring and texture as the sword did. Another scene showed a character smoking two enormous cigars. The dub edited out the cigars...but they neglected to edit out the smoke coming from them, resulting in two random streams of smoke coming seemingly out of thin air. Stupidity at its finest - the people dubbing this should have been the ones to remove whatever they were smoking from their own mouths.

That said, one anime I've seen actually has a dub which I consider to be better than the original: Shaman King. A miracle indeed - the voice acting in the original sounded bland, whereas the voice acting in the dub added to the feel of the show (mostly thanks to Rio's accent, which is awesome.) This made the dub more interesting to watch for me, since the original sounded somewhat lifeless in comparison - ironic, since the anime heavily features ghosts. Haruhi's dub seemed pretty decent as well - I still prefer the original, but Haruhi's English voice actor managed to nail her outrageous personality very well.

In closing, some dubs are good, a few even end up surpassing the originals, but unfortunately, most end up cheapening the original series and in the worst-case scenarios (Naruto, One Piece) end up completely disgracing it. I don't think the abysmal Naruto dub needs any explaination from me, but...Naruto stopped saying "Believe it!" after around Episode 50 - they knew they'd fucked it up.

lol, it's funny KoL brought up the Shadow Realm.

See, I was a bit of a newbie to the world of anime when I was watching Battle City, so I didn't realize Shadow Realm was a bad dub edit of death. So when Marik "sent his father to the Shadow Realm" I was thinking "then why not just bring him back?" referring to after Marik reformed.

Yeah...I was a newbie. Leave me alone.

And with the invisible cigars in One Piece, I thought the smoke was a result of his Moku Moku Devil Fruit (Smoke Smoke Fruit in the dub), not edited out cigars XD Yeah, I was stupid but I've learned.