1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Higher Rain Pattern (Gen V)

Discussion in 'The Doctor's Clinic' started by KoL, Feb 9, 2011.

1. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

Once upon a time, I said that Rain/Sun would end up taking second place to Sandstorm for yet another generation. So, after some deliberation on the subject, one shiny Raikou later and I decided that the most "me" thing to do at this point would be, you guessed it, to prove myself wrong by making a Rain team that could murder everything under the...well, you get me.

Thus, one Dr. Robotnik riding on a moose riding on a Flying Mecha-Shoopfish later, I came up with this:

Politoed @ Leftovers/Wide Lens
    Drizzle
    Calm
    252 HP/252 SP.DEF/6 SP.ATK

- Boiling Water
    - Ice Beam
    - Hypnosis
    - Protect

The frog is mandatory for rain teams nowadays thanks to Drizzle - looking at him in detail, he's not actually as bad as his Gen IV rep suggests. The aim here is simple: set up the rain, and then either run the fuck away or stay in and attempt to cripple as many opponents as possible before running the fuck away. Boiling Water and Hypnosis can easily put the opponent in a rough spot right off the bat if a key team member falls asleep or a powerful physical sweeper gets burned early. Protect works for scouting and extra Leftovers recovery if necessary, while Wide Lens helps Hypnosis's poor accuracy out.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
    Iron Fist
    Adamant
    252 HP/252 ATK/6 SPEED

- Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Stone Edge
    - Bulk Up

First thing many would ask here is "What on earth is Conkeldurr doing on a rain team?" To that question I have one simple answer: what he's doing, my poor, naive friend, is kicking your ass. While Conkeldurr doesn't receive any benefit from the rain he also suffers no downsides from it, and Conkeldurr himself is a very dangerous force to be reckoned with. Iron Fist Mach Punch off Base 140 Attack is brutal, as is Drain Punch off the same alongside massive HP. Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to become even more powerful and Stone Edge is there for coverage.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Impish
    252 HP/252 DEF/6 ATK

- Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock

Another seemingly odd choice here, but unlike Conkeldurr Skarmory does in fact receive one notable benefit from rain: it removes his Fire weakness. This goes a long way in disarming all the physical Dragon-types that like to use Fire-type attacks to take out the metal bird - certainly a handy bonus. Otherwise, it's the same old Skarmory we all know, entry hazards, PHazing, massively fuck-the-hell-off Defense stat, etc.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
    Rain Dish
    Calm
    252 HP/252 SP.DEF/6 DEF

- Surf/Hydro Pump
    - Rapid Spin/Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Protect

Blastoise, while overshadowed a bit by Vaporeon and Tentacruel in Gen IV, always had his place as the most versatile bulky Water-type out there. With Gen V here Blastoise still owns this title solidly, only now he comes with a nice new Dream World ability in Rain Dish to offset one of his biggest weaknesses: no recovery moves (REST DOES NOT COUNT.) With Protect, Blastoise can recover 1/4 of his HP for every attack the opponent gets on him, which is a major asset for this age-old Pokemon. Toxic naturally fits on well with this, although I'm still a slight bit uncertain about the moves to select for the first two moveslots here. Either way, you should get the point of what this is aiming for.

Raikou @ Leftovers/Salac Berry
    Pressure
    Rash
    252 SP.ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Thunder
    - Aura Sphere
    - Weather Ball
    - Substitute

Look familiar? It should do, this is the event Raikou that just so happens to be available on Mystery Gift WFC download as I type this. I really shouldn't have to explain this one, but for all the idiots...Thunder rapes off this guy - it never misses in rain, it packs a brutal 180 power with STAB factored in, and has a high paralysis chance to boot if you somehow manage to survive. Weather Ball becomes a 100 power Water-type attack in the rain, which is then boosted further by said rain due to it turning into a Water-type move, and Aura Sphere helps Raikou murder what was once its worst enemy: Tyranitar. Substitute's just awesome so...yeah, Leftovers is viable on this guy since it lets him use more Substitutes, although Salac Berry is also viable here too.

Kingdra @ Muscle Band/Lum Berry
    Swift Swim
    Adamant
    252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Waterfall
    - Outrage
    - Return
    - Dragon Dance

Kingdra receives an indirect buff to its effectiveness in Gen V thanks to Politoed; now that Kingdra doesn't need to carry Rain Dance, it can free up its move and item slots and focus on sweeping. This setup here just so happens to make Kingdra the fastest Dragon-type in the entire game; even Choice Scarf Latios at max Speed is slightly slower than this Kingdra would be in the rain, and STAB Outrage is more than enough to take down any Dragon-type foolish enough to stay in on Kingdra unprepared. This guy works as both an end-game sweeper and a potent revenge-killer, using his Speed from Swift Swim and the power given to Waterfall by the rain to pick off foes, before using Dragon Dance to boost his power to devastating levels and finishing off the remainder of the opponent's team. Kingdra is one dragon that hasn't lost his swagger at all in the transition from Gen IV to Gen V, and while his stats may seem extremely unassuming, a dose of torrential rain is all Kingdra needs to go from mediocrity to monstrosity.

That is all, rate and review, all intelligent comments are appreciated very much, all stupid comments will be sent to the Void along with their senders.

2. I really like this team a lot, KoL, but that's almost to be expected of your teams. I might go with Rapid Spin on Blastoise just to get rid of your opponent's entry hazard efforts, but that's a personal call, I suppose. Surf > Hydro Pump for accuracy, but another personal call.

Good job! Hope you make this team and kick some buttoxes.

#2 Galaxite, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  3. Sir Red

Sir Red Charms' Caped Crusader

Friend Code:
    5284-1920-5829
    I would go with Wide Lens on Politoed (assuming we have an item clause that many Leftovers wouldn't work anyways) seeing as the increased accuracy on Hypnosis is very helpful to disrupt leads and force switches so that you can get Toed out of there and keep it alive incase your opponent tries to playing dueling weather with you.

I pretty much agree with what Andi said in terms Blastoise movesets. Other than those, everything seems great. I'll be interested to see it in action (especially the Raikou, as I assume it was what prompted the team in the first place).

4. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd actually planned on making a rain team ever since that Raikou was announced, but I'd initially planned for it to be a Gen IV team since I wasn't aware back then that Raikou would arrive so close to B/W's release.

I can think of at least one person who will be playing a weather duel with me around here...

I'm liking your Blastoise ideas Andrew, I'll work it that way.

5. Yay! I'm glad I could help! I guess I usually have the right idea but I'm far from a great team maker. :p Or maybe I'm a good team maker but bad at using the team! The irony!

#5 Galaxite, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  6. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

Some pretty heavy changes came to this team after some further thought:

Politoed @ Leftovers/Wide Lens
    Drizzle
    Calm
    252 HP/252 SP.DEF/6 SP.ATK

- Boiling Water
    - Ice Beam
    - Hypnosis
    - Protect

He's the same. Next.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
    Guts
    Adamant
    252 HP/252 ATK/6 SPEED

- Mach Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Stone Edge
    - Bulk Up/Protect

Turns out Iron Fist isn't as good as I thought it was, so this set has been changed to utilize Guts instead. The boost to Stone Edge is quite handy, although I'd like to keep Bulk Up on here if possible.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Impish
    252 HP/252 DEF/6 ATK

- Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock

Same, next.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Calm
    252 HP/252 DEF/6 SP.DEF

- Ice Beam
    - Toxic
    - Calm Mind
    - Softboiled

Blast whoever decided this detestable fat tub of pink lard should be the best special wall in the game...but it's a necessary evil to have with the Latis storming around. Calm Mind allows Blissey to wall even Pokemon with setup moves, specifically the two aforementioned Latis, while Ice Beam punishes them and any other dragons trying to switch in and set up on Blissey. Toxic is mostly to cripple bulky Water-types who like the rain as much as I do, and...well, yeah, the set more-or-less speaks for itself after that. Got to love Natural Cure making me effectively immune to Toxic as well. One-size-fits-all special wall who still rules the roost even after Gen V's additions.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
    Mischievous Heart
    Mild
    252 SP.ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Thunder
    - Grass Knot
    - Taunt
    - HP Ice/Psychic/Substitute/Nasty Plot

If I can get my M3 ROM's trade function to work without crashing, this thing may end up replacing Raikou. If not, then Raikou will remain in the team the same as before. The main reasons I wanted this guy were simple really: Firstly, he resists Fighting, allowing him to take Mach Punch from Conkeldurr and Thunder him into the abyss. Secondly, Mischievous Heart + Taunt is a brutal combination and this guy is easily the best Pokemon that has it. Finally, he may not be quite as fast as Raikou but he's noticeably more powerful - I'll have to pray his HP type is very good.

P.S. He's Mild because that was the nature the game was generous enough to give me. Tell me to change it and I'll stab you in the face with a rusty knife over the internet.

Kingdra @ Muscle Band/Lum Berry/Liechi Berry
    Swift Swim
    Adamant
    252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

- Waterfall
    - Outrage
    - Return/Substitute
    - Dragon Dance

Kingdra has only one minor potential upgrade: Substitute. Since Raikou may be gone and Substitute may go with him, I wanted someone else who could use it effectively, and Kingdra certainly does that with his blistering Swift Swim speed and above average bulk. Kingdra won't need Salac Berry with Swift Swim, Dragon Dance and max Speed, so Liechi Berry would be more viable for Sub-Kingdra.