• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

HGSS Hail Team

Okay so as you may have guessed from the subject this is a Hail Team for IV Gen. I am just seeing if there are any better choices from the ones I already have and some help with choosing the last two slots.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Snow Warning
4HP/252Spd/252SAtk

- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Focus Punch

Mamoswine @ Expert Belt
Adamant Nature
Snow Cloak
252Atk/4Def/252Spd

- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Pressure
4HP/252Atk/252Spd

- Pursuit
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Night Slash

Frosslass @ BrightPowder
Timid Nature
Snow Cloak
248HP/228Def/32Spd

- Blizzard
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Substitute

Okay here is where the decisions (and confusion) come into play and your welcomed advice.

Lapras @ Leftovers | Walrein @ Leftovers | Castform @ Leftovers
Modest Nature | Bold Nature | Modest Nature
Water Absorb | Ice Body | Forecast
216Def/198SAtk/96SDef | 220HP/252Def/36SDef | 252SAtk/252Spd/4HP

- Blizzard | - Substitute | - Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt | - Protect | - Blizzard
- Sing | - Blizzard | - Thunderbolt
- Surf | - Toxic | - Hidden Power Ground

Glaceon @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Snow Cloak
4HP/252SAtk/252Spd

- Blizzard
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk

I would rather have a different choice (no pun intended) than Glaceon but I couldn't think of one.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First HUGE mistake you've made is having a team of all Ice-types. Against any half-decent opponent this is nothing short of suicide, since Ice is by far the worst defensive type in the game. You're far better off enduring the negligible Hail damage while still having a decent defensive core on a team like this than running 100% Ice and being completely obliterated by any team that happens to carry a Steel-type with Bullet Punch.

If anything, I'd keep Abomasnow, either one or (at the very most) two additional Ice-types to go with him, and then three other non-Ice Pokemon to give yourself some kind of defensive capability. As your team is right now, a Scizor with Swords Dance could just come in straightaway and Bullet Punch your whole team to death, and that's just one example of Ice's awful defensive ability.

Not much point in going into deeper detail when you already have such a glaring weakness to fix.

Well i'd mostly be battling my friends who have no steel types fast enough to do any decent damage and even the other Pokemon that they have who could be a threat I have taken care of. However I see your point. I just don't see any Pokemon worth putting on this team other than more Ice-types. Plus I don't really go for the "defensive" types. Considering all of my friends's teams are pretty much OHKO'd or 2HKO'd by most of my Hail Team I think it's fine with just Ice-types. But that might just be my wishful thinking.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It's your wishful thinking, since there's no guarantee that your friends won't change their teams, and if you did ever plan to use this team elsewhere you'd get completely destroyed with a mono-Ice team.

Bottom line, you might as well improve it if there's a way to do so. Otherwise, you might as well have not bothered making this topic at all.

Well I decide to change this team into a weather abusing team. So I'm keeping Abomasnow and Mamoswine, changing Castform's moves, and adding some more Pokemon:

Castform @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
Forecast
252SAtk/252Spd/4HP

- Weather Ball
- Rain Dance
- Hail
- Sunny Day

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
Sandstream
4HP/252Atk/252Spd

- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Kingdra @ Wet Rock
Lonely Nature
Swift Swim
252Atk/64Spd/192Satk

- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
Timid Nature
Flash Fire
252Spd/252SAtk/4SDef

- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Flamethrower
- Hypnosis

Just an idea of keeping the Hail but making giving my team more type diversity. Plus I like the idea of manipulating the weather as I see fit.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
As someone who runs a Drizzle team, I can tell you it's a far better idea to choose one type of weather and do it well. Fiddling with Weather during a game will do nothing but pretty much waste a turn. Plus, you literally can't build a team around three different weather conditions, you just don't have enough slots on your team and Castform;s stats aren't good enough to make up for the versatility you'd get. You'd just get wrecked by anything with an actual strategy.

Try using that Hail team and, as KoL said, replacing some of your Pokémon with non-Ice-types. Try to choose bulky/defensively oriented Pokémon so that you're not completely ruined if someone uses Scizor.

Yes I have finally seen the light. So I was thinking Abomasnow, Mamoswine, and maybe Glaceon along with three other Pokemon that I haven't decided on yet. Possibly a Fire-type, a Water-type, and maybe Gliscor.