• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Here's A Thought For S/M: Monochrome Pokémon?

Sooooo, I was looking for some shinies (nothing unusual) and got my self a shiny Phantump. Now, since shiny Phantump is a white shiny, I had a thought for Sum/Moon: Monochrome Pokémon.

Now, perhaps maybe not all pokémon, but maybe just a few Monochrome variations, y'know, sorta as a nostalgic feature for the series' 20th. I can imagine this would look amazing on pokémon such as Umbreon, Phantump- obviously, and other Ghost/ Dark type pokés. But besides that, seeing the original 150 restored to their colourless former glory even just for Sun/Moon would be great.

What do you guys think? Good idea?
(Also general Gen 1 poké thread)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I'm honestly rather torn about this because Pokémon are (technically) supposed to be living creatures, and as such I always imagine them with varying degrees of individual variance and minor appearance modifiers, as well as the occasional mutations, beyond the "Normal" and "Shiny" colourmorphs - Melanistic and Leucistic/Albinistic variants, among other things. But at the same time I can see why this sort of thing isn't implemented in-game. Further palette data/sprites/texture slots for wild appearance modifiers and introducing further mechanics for applying such would be fairly implausible on a large scale, particularly as more and more Pokémon are being introduced.

Plus - Barring a few odd retcons to their actual design (and those certainly happened - subtle things that Sugimori did as his style streamlined itself etc), they were /always/ meant to look the way they do. Any limitations they had on the colour schemes of their (already hilariously off-model) sprites was caused simply due to limitations of the technology of the time... and frankly, randomly introducing a weird, unnatural 'monochromatic' morph to appeal to whiny genwunners and their precious 20 year old GB graphics and figure out a way to implement them in a way that won't clash with shinies but still wouldn't be nigh-impossible to obtain sounds like a phenomenal waste of work time and art resources to me, not to mention kind of biologically ridiculous.

Nostalgia is fine and all, but sometimes you have to wake up and join the rest of us in the present. It is likely that the only 'Monochrome' Pokémon we'll ever see will be products of texture loading glitches - and gog knows X/Y had their fair share of those before those were patched to death.

Eh, don't really want it. Color = better game. Even though R/B/Y was awesome, and may be better than gen 6, Nintendo has to move on. It's like writing on a checklist with a pen. You cannot erase what you have already drawn. And I do agree with StellarWind.