1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's a question for you UK-ers...

Discussion in 'Small Talk' started by Keleri, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. ...what the heck is "treacle", anyway? o_O
  2. Doctor Oak

    Staff Member Overlord

    Syruppy rubbish.

    I didn't know until now that it was UK only.
  3. I think it's the UK name for something that's found in other places too, but, in Canada at least, I think it might be called molasses. o.o

    Is it dark brown and sorta bittersweet?
  4. It's treacle here, and apparently it is dark brown and :shock: sweet.
  5. baratron

    baratron Moderator of Elder Scrolls
    Staff Member Moderator

    There are two types of treacle.

    The kind of treacle that is in treacle tart, which is probably what you're asking about, is like a much thicker version of Golden Syrup (you have that, right?). Treacle tart is like jam tart, but one large one that's cut into pieces for everyone eating it rather than individual tarts. Also it's served hot and with custard poured over the top.

    There also exists something called black treacle that is much more strongly flavoured. This is pretty much the same thing as molasses, afaik.

    Just ask me all your sugar-related questions, and I'll be pleased to answer

Share This Page