• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with smeargle training

I have been thinking about Training a smeargle for Soul Silver but i am unsure how i go about training one. Firstly i would like to know if it is even worth training due to it low stats then i would like to know how to train one as a play through the game. I would also like to know what moves i should teach it and how i actually manage to get these moves for it.

And finally i have already planned a team for Soul Silver and if you think i should train a smeargle which one of these should i remove from my team to make an opening for smeargle.

Feraligatr
Noctowl
Ampharos
Miltank
Pinser
Flareon

Thanks alot

I would also like to know what moves i should teach it and how i actually manage to get these moves for it.

Well....Smeargle can only learn Sketch so moves are covered.

I would also need to see the Natures of your current team and their movesets before I can say which one should be taken off.

well Blisk I think that with moves he means what he should learn with sketch.

Thing with smeargle is, its not a good offensive pokemon. It usually just works as a Supporting type, and I dont know if you want to use that on your main game.

Just for comparison: Weedle has more attack than Smeargle.

The actual team you have planned would work good enough to get you through the game.
I would advice you to-if you really want smeargle, train him after beating the game.
Stuff like Baton Passing, and statussing is the usual stuff you see on a Smeargle.

I understood it as which moves in general. Sorry. I don't know how sketch works anyway because I've never used Smeargle...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Smeargle sets, due to the Pokemon's atrocious offensive stats, tend to be toolbox-like in that they pack, as Fumanshu stated, status and support moves primarily.

As such, viable moves that commonly appear on Smeargle tend to be...well, these kinds, in no particular order except possibly Spore, which is probably the most used move for Smeargle sets of all kinds:

- Spore
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass
- Belly Drum
- Encore
- Trick
- Substitute

...among others.

Essentially, you want Smeargle to work as a toolbox that provides everything the rest of your team needs. If you need a Baton Passer, Smeargle can do it. If you need someone to heal your team, give Smeargle moves like Wish and Aromatherapy, even Softboiled and Milk Drink can help heal your team in-game, and Smeargle can provide. As such, there really is no "standard" Smeargle set in existence - the best thing to do with it is pick four moves that would help everyone else in your team and go from there.