• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with my team (competitive) in emerald

P

PokeRad

these are the three pokemon I use in the battle frontier:
Salamence@Sitrus berry
Dragon Claw
Ariel Ace
Hyper Beam
Hydro Pump

Milotic@leftovers
Surf
Ice Beam
Toxic
Mirror Coat

Latias@Focus Band
Thunder Bolt
Psychic
Recover
Dragon Claw

EXTRA POKEMON
Vaporeon@Shell Bell
Toxic
Shadow Ball
Protect
Surf

Please send in suggestions!!!!!!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Here's my suggestions:

Salamence @ Choice Band
- Rock Slide/Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break

Salamence has a higher Atk. stat than Sp.Atk., so a physical set will do very good. Dragon Claw runs off the Sp.Atk. stat in Emerald, so it may not be entirely suitable, although since it does get STAB it is still viable. See what you think.

Milotic @ Leftovers
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Mirror Coat

Milotic's Sp.Atk stat is actually pretty good, so it doesn't really need Toxic to do extra damage for it. Recover, however, is evil and definitely worth a slot on any Milotic moveset.

Latias @ Salac Berry/Soul Dew(if you have it)
- Thunderbolt/Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam/Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Latias isn't really the sweeper of the family (Latios is) but its Sp.Atk. and Speed are still high enough to pull it off. As for the moveset, you can either run Thunderbolt/Ice Beam for type coverage but lose STAB, run Psychic and Dragon Claw for double STAB and then get screwed over by Steel-types (it's not actually as bad as it sounds but...), or run Thunderbolt and most likely Psychic to get a bit of both. Basically, Calm Mind up until you can't take any more hits (hopefully Salac will activate if you use it, increasing your speed) then Recover back all the damage if you feel you need to and start killing stuff.

Vaporeon @ Shell Bell/Chesto Berry

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Rest

Vaporeon looks pretty spare with Milotic in your team, so I figured I'd give him a move that lets him stand out a bit from Milotic - Haze. Basically, if your opponent is the sort to power up with a move like Calm Mind or Swords Dance before attacking, or worse, spam Double Team/Minimize all day (God forbid...) then punish them by removing all their stat increases with one Haze. Rest for lack of a better heal move, and Surf and Ice Beam for attacks since they run off Vaporeon's pretty good Sp.Atk. stat, whilst Shadow Ball runs off Vaporeon's awful Atk. stat.

That's my take, see what you think.

So is this to further your advances in-game or to switch these fellows over to D/P for competitive? Your title confuses me @@. But just in case you want advice on competitive teams (as in against other players, not in-game) here are my suggestions.

Salamence@Sitrus berry
Dragon Claw
Ariel Ace
Hyper Beam
Hydro Pump
In Plapti's lovely thread on competitive battling its suggested you dont use 2 turn moves like Hyper Beam, people will switch in a proper counter while your pokemon is recharging.

I would suggest replacing Hyper with Flamethrower to take care of Sala's main weak point: Ice types. A build I like to see for Salamence that tends to surprise some is this:

Elemence!
Salamence@Leftovers
Intimidate
Modest Nature

-Dragon Claw
-Flamethrower
-Hydropump
-Hidden power Grass or Electric to take down pesky (and ice beam knowing) Water types

A traditional Salamence is usually a Physical sweeper but if you want something a lil diffrent Elemence can work wonders.

Milotic: Looks fine to me, I like having recover on her though to make her a more lasting wall.

Latias: Im not one to fight with ubers/legends so I dont really want to judge but from what I can tell its fine.

Vaporeon: The attacks you ahve on it now arent terrible but in a competitive scene A supporter might be a good idea, here is a traditional Vaporeon ive seen a few times:

-Surf
-Icebeam
-Rest/Wish
-Haze

Wish would be for a more team player type but both are played.

Overall, you may want to get 6 pokemon up on your team since 3v3 battles are rather rare from what I can tell anyway and get rid of that darn Hyper Beam :p

Hope this helped you out a lil.