• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with my Kecleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Celadon

I want to build an effective moveset for my Kecleon for the Battle Frontier (is that competitive or in-game? I always thought it was competitive...) in Pokemon Emerald. Can someone please help me?

Yes, I am willing to rebreed my pokemon, too.

My Kecleon so far:

Kecleon @ ?
Modest Nature
Colour Change

Substitute
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Protect

As a side note, no, I do not want any EVs, as I just don't get the hang of EV training.

Thanks in advance for the help!

No EVs huh.... How is anyone suppose to help you then? The main point to the clinic to help someone on their builds. How can anyone help you if you insist on leaving out only the most important points to the clinic? Anyways here's a build.

Kecleon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
Color Change
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Rest
Sleep Talk
Return / Double-Edge
Brick Break / Iron Tail / Hidden Power Steel

C

Celadon

Umm...
No EVs huh.... How is anyone suppose to help you then? The main point to the clinic to help someone on their builds. How can anyone help you if you insist on leaving out only the most important points to the clinic? Anyways here's a build.

[quote author=Celadon link=topic=6381.msg109040#msg109040 date=1245661849]
As a side note, no, I do not want any EVs, as I just don't get the hang of EV training.
Thanks in advance for the help![/quote]

By the way, I do thank you for the help. I see that it is more of a physical sweeper. I will try it out.

Other than that, can someone provide help for a move-set for a Modest Nature Kecleon, too? I do not have a Careful Nature Kecleon right now, though of course I will re-breed my current one.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
EVs aren't essential for moveset advice, unless the person hasn't clarified what it is they want from the set (which Celadon has.)

Anyway, if a Modest Kecleon is what you want, here it is:

Kecleon @ Zoom Lens/Wide Lens
Modest
Colour Change

- Thunder
- Blizzard
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Requires re-breeding, and isn't really the greatest set in the world by any stretch of the imagination thanks to the moves Kecleon is forced to rely on here - Base 60 Sp.Attack is poor no matter how much EV Training you do with it, and Kecleon's Speed manages to be even worse. The item is designed to boost the accuracy of Kecleon's attacks - apparently Zoom Lens is supposed to boost your accuracy as long as you go last, although I've heard several people say it in fact doesn't boost accuracy at all, and boosts crit chance instead. If it boosts crit chance, pick the Wide Lens instead.

The set itself is relatively simple - Nasty Plot to power up, then start killing stuff. Thunder + Blizzard provide perfect coverage - again, the accuracy of both these moves sucks, but with Base 60 Sp.Attack Kecleon needs all the power it can get here. Fire Blast is a lot more reliable though with 95% accuracy along with the Wide Lens, and will likely be the attack of choice for the most part here. PP is another issue here too, although odds are Kecleon will end up being KO'd long before it runs out of PP thanks to it almost always going last.

I personally would run a set like this on Kecleon:

Kecleon @ BrightPowder
Adamant/Careful
Colour Change

- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute
- Filler Move (Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Counter, Fake Out etc.)

Probably the most effective offensive set Kecleon will ever be able to wield. A bit of a guessing game to be had here - if you think the opponent will attack, Sucker Punch them in the face. If you think they won't attack, give them a Focus Punch instead. Substitute provides good protection for you whilst playing the guessing game, and BrightPowder can help out when it comes to protecting your Subs. The last move can literally be anything - the four moves I listed are my personal top picks for this, although the amount of moves Kecleon has available to it is immense, so choose whatever you want really.

C

Celadon

Sorry for the late reply...

Kecleon @ Zoom Lens/Wide Lens
Modest
Colour Change

- Thunder
- Blizzard
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot

Are Zoom Lens and Wide Lens available in Pokemon Emerald?
Also, what should I replace The Nasty Plot with?

Other than that, thanks for the adamant Kecleon set, King of Lucario! I rebreeded my Kecleon, and that set was great in the battles. (Had to replace Sucker Punch with Mega Punch, though.)

Thank you!

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hmm...you can try Fire Blast/SolarBeam/Sunny Day/Filler Move for Special Kecleon, but Physical Kecleon will outstrip any Special set Kecleon attempts to run, especially without Nasty Plot.

Also, for the physical set, Shadow Ball and Return make for good combo moves alongside Focus Punch and Substitute.

C

Celadon

Thanks Kol. That does make a very good moveset! ^^

Also, locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.