• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Help with a Drapion? (And a Drifblim?)

I'm looking to train a Drapion for a new team that I am constructing. Mostly for competitive battle with friends, but I might also dabble in wi-fi battling a bit, and I want to be able to make a mark, whether I win or lose. Therefore, I'm coming to the Clinic to get some ideas. This is what I was thinking (and the (sub)natures of my Drapion are the same as this, which is why I am putting it. I was thinking a Jolly nature, but, look! I got the speed boost without the loss of anything else.):

Drapion @ Scope Lens
Sniper Ability (Increases damage upon critical hits)
Serious Nature (Neutral), Likes To Run (+Speed)
6HP, 252SPD, 252ATCK

Cross Poison
Confuse Ray
Toxic Spikes
Roar

I was thinking of having him as to where I could take a couple of turns to build up the spikes, then roar the poison around. That is possible, isn't it? But, anyways, I'm having real troubles with the move set portion of him (well, her). I bred Confuse Ray onto my Skorupi, and I want to keep it. I suppose that I could make her solely an annoyer with a single attack, but the Poison-Type isn't the most useful, I suppose.

(Under a Drifblim's substitute, she might even get the spikes around the opponent's team in one go. That was my initial idea, but I don't have a Drifloon yet. :p)

Also, a slight inquiry: if a Poison-Type pokemon comes in on Toxic Spikes, do they disappear, or do they just not affect them?

Help, please?

Edit:

Because I thought about it hard enough, I've decided to also inquire about getting a Drifblim onto my team. S/he would be used to pass Substitutes around, maybe pass a Calm Mind or two, and probably be a time-bomb, if you will, with Explosion. Ponder this, please:

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Aftermath Ability (Depletes 1/4th of the health of the Pokemon that defeats it [if it was a direct attack?])
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
6SP.ATCK, 252HP, 252SPD
Substitute
Baton Pass
Shadow Ball / Calm Mind
Explosion

I believe that this move set is really straightforward. S/he would have the option of attacking with Shadow Ball, then Explode when low on HP. However, s/he would also be able to pass a subsititute to the next Pokemon (such as my hopefully annoying Drapion). However, now the more I think about it, the more I can see a Wishing Umbreon on my team. But I'll save that for later.

What do you think?

Also, a slight inquiry: if a Poison-Type pokemon comes in on Toxic Spikes, do they disappear, or do they just not affect them?

The Toxic Spikes disappear. But note that the Poison type that switches in to the spikes must be grounded--meaning it can't be Levitating or Flying (as I found out the hard way). And of course Steel types won't be affected but they also don't make the Toxic Spikes go away.

For the purpose that your Drapion is serving, I think the moveset works, but someone may be able to tell you better.

All right, thank you for that information, Reina Carmen. It was really helpful to me. I really do hope that others come along to help. I think that I'm improving on the movesets that I make, though, ever-so-slightly. (:

Drifblim@Leftovers
Calm/Gentle Nature
EVs: 80 HP (Make sure the HP isn't divisible by 4) /252 S.Def/ Rest into Spd
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Hypnosis/Calm Mind/Stockpile/Explosion
-Shadow Ball

Hypnosis can set up the Sub and then Baton Pass out with a full HP Sub.
Or Sub then Calm Mind/Stockpile and then Pass out the boost.
Use Gentle if you plan to use Explosion.

Thanks, Jetters, for the move set and EV spread. I think that I'm going to go with this:

Drifblim @ Leftovers
Gentle Nature
80HP, 252S.Def, 178Spd
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Hypnosis
-Shadow Ball

In all truth, it was actually a very hard decision to just give up Explosion, but I think that I will be all right without it. I'm happy with this move set. However, what did you mean by "Make sure the HP isn't divisible by four"? Do you mean the Drifblim's? And why would that help? I assume it has to do with the substitute; I'm ignorant with that move, as I've never really used it before.

Every time Substitute is used, it takes away 1/4 of the user's HP. It will fail if you don't have enough HP left. If Drifblim's HP is divisible by 4, you could accidentally use 4 Substitutes in a row and KO it.