• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Help Refining My Team

Hi all! I was testing out this team today, and I wanna make it better. There are some things I couldn't win against... Prankster Whimsicott, Imposter Ditto, etc. and I'd like to make it so I can win against them :p

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SAtk / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
My mega evo slot. Basic calm mind sweeper, meant to be special sweeper of the team.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
Wish passer and special wall, cures status conditions too.

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
- Superpower
Physical sweeper. Thought I'd try it out because head smash hits pretty hard :3

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Protect
Physical wall. Worked pretty well for me in other teams.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Spikes
- U-turn
My lead. Spikes for entry hazards... taunt to stop other leads.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play
Pretty much filler, I didn't know what to put. But it seems to work well as an annoyance for the other team.

I'm pretty new to competitive battling too.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Right off the bat, Chansey is setup bait for pretty much everything. Also, any attack that can 3HKO Chansey will kill it outright without Protect due to Wish's delayed heal.

MegaGardevoir wants Psyshock over Psychic.

Aggron would like Iron Head on his set for STAB now that Steel has been improved as an offensive type.

Overall this team is pretty good but you are quite lacking in raw and fast power with this team, which might be why Whimsicott and Ditto are causing you trouble. Greninja and Sableye are the only particularly fast Pokemon on this team and neither of them are built to hit amazingly hard, Gliscor likewise, Aggron is slow as hell, Chansey can't hit anything hard at all ever which leaves MegaGardevoir alone to provide offensive capability. You either want slow, durable bulk/stall strategy to grind opponents down at the heart of a team or speedy offense; your team currently lacks both which leaves it rather lacking in its ability to actually KO opponents or send out anything immediately dangerous to an opponent.

Right off the bat, Chansey is setup bait for pretty much everything. Also, any attack that can 3HKO Chansey will kill it outright without Protect due to Wish's delayed heal.

MegaGardevoir wants Psyshock over Psychic.

Aggron would like Iron Head on his set for STAB now that Steel has been improved as an offensive type.

Overall this team is pretty good but you are quite lacking in raw and fast power with this team, which might be why Whimsicott and Ditto are causing you trouble. Greninja and Sableye are the only particularly fast Pokemon on this team and neither of them are built to hit amazingly hard, Gliscor likewise, Aggron is slow as hell, Chansey can't hit anything hard at all ever which leaves MegaGardevoir alone to provide offensive capability. You either want slow, durable bulk/stall strategy to grind opponents down at the heart of a team or speedy offense; your team currently lacks both which leaves it rather lacking in its ability to actually KO opponents or send out anything immediately dangerous to an opponent.

Thanks! Maybe something faster than Aggron to be physical would be good?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Thanks! Maybe something faster than Aggron to be physical would be good?

That could work, the team just needs some 'Mons that can provide a more immediate threat than what you currently have right now. You have a lot of good scouting and support Pokemon in this team, but you don't have a huge amount of anything else. I'd honestly consider replacing any two of Greninja, Gliscor, Sableye and Chansey as well for stuff that can either force switches through moves (Assault Vest Tyranitar with Dragon Tail for example, which also comes with massive Sp.Def) or just hit hard and fast (Talonflame with Gale Wings for example.) The team just needs either more powerful offensive ability or more bulk and durability, brute force and ignorance as some would call it.