• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Has anyone gotten a Female Starter?

I didn't see this topic here, so I'm making one.

Has anyone gotten a female starter in any game, eggs or not? I get quite a few females via, eggs, but yesterday I restarted Leafgreen having extracted all useful pokemon and I got a Female Charmander as my starter. I only reset it the one time.

So, have any of you gotten a Female starter somehow?

The only way I've ever gotten females starters is via eggs. I really don't care if the starter that the professor gave me or female or not. It would be cool though. It would be my luck that I would get female and it would have a horrible nature making me have to breed anyway. And I'm a too lazy to restart.

Maybe I should keep trying for a female in my next game just for kicks...

I take that back: if I picked Chikorita as my starter then it would have to be female. Blame the anime for this one.

Ya, I have to say I have only gotten the females by breeding for them. I have lucked out on natures for the most part, either getting neutral or a good one, having it as a female from the start would only make it better.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The Sceptile on my team is female. I got her the first time I started Sapphire. She's got a perfect nature too. That was just luck though, since back then I didn't care if they were male or female and never restarted just to get one. My boyfriend also got a female Turtwig on Pearl without restarting. I also have a female Cyndaquil which I hatched from an egg. That was complete luck also, since it was the only cyndaquil I've bred.

I take that back: if I picked Chikorita as my starter then it would have to be female. Blame the anime for this one.

I agree. And I could never have a female Charizard, it just wouldn't seem right.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I have a female Sceptile on my Emerald Team, which oddly has the rest of the Pokemon on there as being all male (including a Gardevoir.)
I also have a female Blastoise on my FireRed Team, which once again has all the other Pokemon as males. Neither of these required restarts.

I have twice. A female Mudkip on Emerald after restarting like 20 times, and a female Infernape when I wanted a male. :p
But, then again, I can always trade the baby Chimchars (and Mudkips) when I get my Wi-Fi up. :D

Actually my Turtwig was a female. =D I got lucky there. I don't remember but I think I had a female Totodile in Gold... I'm too lazy to go look at all the genders and stuff right now but I'll check later today and get back to you on that. X3

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
A female Mudkip on Emerald after restarting like 20 times

O_o I'd never have the patience to restart that many times. I re-started for a female eevee back in the days of Bill, but only five times... after the fifth I just settled for the male ::) So I guess I was really lucky with Sceptile on Ruby.

EDIT: Typos >_

O_o I'd never have the patience to restart that many times.
I was stuck on a plane for twelve hours and had nothing better to do. Otherwise, believe me, I wouldn't have had the patience either.

And I just remembered...I had a female Torchic on Emerald, too, which is now on my Diamond. (I'm working at completing my Pokedex and needed a Torchic; it was pure luck that I got a female.)

O_o I'd never have the patience to restart that many times. I re-started for a female eevee back in the days of Bill, but only five times... after the fifth I just settled for the male ::) So I guess I was really lucky with Sceptile on Ruby.

EDIT: Typos >_<

I've been lucky enough to get female eevees from Bill (or in D/P case, Bebe) which is why i've always had multiple eeveelutions. =D

The first time I started sapphire I got a female treeko. Then I beat it about 5 times (I restarted 5 times as well) and got a female mudkip.
I've gotten a female cydaquil on my silver as a starter......oh and when I was restarting firered to get all the starters on my emerald and I got a female bulbasaur....but I have gotten all the females through breeding. (I can get bored so easily.)

I have a female Turtwig, female Chimchar, female Cyndaquil, female Empoleon, and a female Treeko on my Diamond, via Trading and Breeding. I also have my Female Charmander on LeafGreen.

Got lucky once in Sapphire. Female Treecko. All my others have been gotten from breeding. 1/8 isn't very good odds is it? But regardless, I've got females of every starter through breeding. (And many eggs in that process).

There have been quite a few times that I got a female Starter out of pure luck, and since I play the game so very many times its difficult to count the sheer number of them. Currently I have a female Blaziken who I got by resetting multiple times, though honestly I was mostly going for the Nature. Breeding it resulted in a daughter who conveniently had the exact nature that I had hoped she would get.

I've had a female starter on every game since Crystal except Diamond. Don't care about natures or nothing, so yeah...>.> Female Feraligatr, Blaziken, Charizard and Torterra. Had to restart a couple of times on Ruby and Pearl.

I never knew it was rare to get female starters... I've got a female Sceptile which was my starter on Ruby. And I'm pretty sure my Torterra is female. Not really sure about my other starters but I know just about every pokemon I start to train turns out to be female.

EDIT: And I just found out I have a female Squirtle.

Well, I didn't ever realize it was a rare thing ^^;
Uhm, I got a female Turtwig in Diamond, and I was completely pissed because I wanted a male to name Forrest. So I named her Forrest anyways. =)

Maybe it's just me, but I think the gender you pick at the start of the game makes a difference. When I played as a boy for most of my sapphire game (this was a couple of years ago) I had a male torchic. But eventually I had a bit of fun and selected the girl character and I found myself with a female treeko for the small time I spent on this new game.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
This was just pure luck. Okay, so my first ever Pokemon game was FireRed (yeah, a bit late...) for the gameboy advanced. So, one day, I decided to play with it. I started my first ever Pokemon game, and chose Charmander as my starter, just because I thought that having a flying Charizard in the end would be awesome. So, I never noticed my Pokemon's gender until one day, I was battling my friend, Celine. She went like, "Whoa, how is it that you have a female Charizard?" I was like, "What? My Charizard isn't female!", but sure enough, when I checked, the flying lizard was, indeed, a she. And so, the next month, I totally forgot that I had a totally rare female starter, so I restarted my entire game and saved the new game. Yeah, smart.

Notice how I didn't pay attention at all what my Pokemon's gender was until pretty much the last second of my playing time (because I never touched my game again. Not because of the gender thing, but because I was... busy...), and that was my first Pokemon game ever. First game? First starter. First female Pokemon I had=my first starter I ever had.

XD

Maybe it's just me, but I think the gender you pick at the start of the game makes a difference. When I played as a boy for most of my sapphire game (this was a couple of years ago) I had a male torchic. But eventually I had a bit of fun and selected the girl character and I found myself with a female treeko for the small time I spent on this new game.

It doesn't make a difference. I've been playing as a girl ever since Crystal and have never received a female starter. Ever. Starters have an 87.5% chance of being male no matter what. You just got really lucky.^^

yes i have i got a female piplup when i started my pearl first restart (i bought it used) it didn't have the nature i wanted so i traded it to my diamond using my sis's ds. i restarted again and thinking hey Im gonna go with turtwig instead i got a female turtwig.i again traded over and restarted till i got the right natured piplup.

P

PokeRad

I am not very surprised that only a few of you have received female starters

Usually, when i start a new game i end up with a male starter.I have received a female starter only twice in my life (out of the 20 times i have played) and both of these extra ordinary "meetings" happened in LG.

We'll my brother says that there is a percentage of getting a female starter, i forgot what it was but it was low, and one time on my saphire i got a female mudkip and on my silver i got a female chicorita, but that was it.

P

Pokepok

well,i have got female starters loads of times , especially whenever i start a new game in ruby.
but then it could be sheer luck.... ???

I have a female Meganium in Gold.

I have a female Typhlosion in Crystal.

I've gotten a female Mudkip for my friend in the beginning of her game.

I have a female Charizard in Firered. (Her name is Charm and she was my first Pokemon... Duh. Dude, she's had four eggs and only one of them is a female.)

I have a female Sceptile in Emerald. (Yeah, I know. OMG Amaya started with a grass type!)

I had a female Blazekin in Ruby until someone decided to start over and SAVE! (I'm still angry about it.)

In Diamond I have a female Emploreon. (I think it should be a boy though... I mean she's wearing a tuxedo!)

I guess I'm just lucky... I even got a female Eevee, a female Togipi, and female Riolu egg... But my poor Gardevoir is male... Poor, poor Phantom (Yes I named him Phantom... Don't ask.)

So, I guess I just continuously get beginners luck... Except I've played it since Gold version came out... Well, that's it for my post. Bye.

I once got a female Treecko in Sapphire, and named it Koko.....then I deleted the game. And I got a female Chimchar in Diamond. Twice. Then I started over.

Yeah, whenever I start a new game, I like making my 'main' starter female (for the other starters, I don't care if they are female or male, be it from eggs or trading). I have a female Charizard in LeafGreen, a female Infernape, Piplup and Turtwig in Pearl (for breeding purposes), I was also lucky enough to have the Shiny Gyrados in my Crystal game to be female as well.

Basically, when I want a female starter, I just save the game before I choose the starter, and then pick the starter I want (it was easier in Gen II and Gen III since I could save in front of the Pokeballs and choose, in DP I have to save outside the lake entrance and go through the whole thing in order to see the gender). If I don't get the right gender, I just hard reset and start again. The most I had to do this for though, is about 25 times (for my Charizard).​

I got a female cyndaquil in emerald and I have gotten several female starters through eggs in Diamond (all I have to do is hatch them at Floaroma town)