• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Hard to remember type match-ups

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Some are pretty easy to remember: water beats fire, flying is immune to ground, etc. But others are harder to remember for whatever reason. What're some type match-ups you find yourself forgetting a lot?

The one I forget most often is that ghost resists bug type moves. It just doesn't feel intuitive at all and there are very few situations where I really even think about stuff like that. I only remember it now because I've had two instances in competitive play where it mattered a lot, and thus the match-up stuck with me. But I still forget about it a lot. ^^;

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
For some reason I can never remember which way round the strength/weakness relationship works for Psychic and Fighting. I'm always there thinking 'Oh wait, is it Psychic that's weak against Fighting... or the other way round?' No idea why... it just does't stick no matter how many times I check up on it or try it out :V

The rest I'm pretty good with, although I am a pain for the old 'I'll just use Fake Out on this Ghost...lalalala'.

I remember when I was little, and playing through Yellow, I didn't understand why my Pikachus Quick Attack didn't work on Gastly..... I was so dumb back then...... Not knowing what types are hahahah

But I keep forgetting Ice is weak to Fire... Just, sometimes I think it's the other way around! Dunno why, but I do...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fun question. XD

I often find myself mixing up Steel-type resistances, specifically when it involves Water-types and Grass-types. I'll often avoid using Steel-type attacks on Grass-types because I assume it's ineffective, yet may accidentally use them on Water-types with the assumption that it is neutral damage. :p

My memory can also be a bit hazy when it comes to Bug and Poison-type resistances. I'll usually get there in the end but sometimes I'll need to consciously think on it before remembering that they both resist Fighting-types and that Bugs resist Ground-types. xp

Florges is a Pokemon I always think if a Grass/Fairy- Oh wait, wrong thing...

Well, I have to go with Fairty (still), because I just don't remember what It resists half the time, and then the Pokemon manage to make me confuse my types.

Poison, ghost and dark always get me.
Most other typings have some way to remember them (for example, psychic beats fighting: "brains over brawn) but I can never remember anything to do with those three typings - n -

I only found out very recently that Bug types are strong against both Dark and Psychic types. I also have a hard time remembering whether Ice is immune to Water or if Water is immune to Ice.

I can never remember anythings relationship with poison, or water's relationship with ice, or bug's relationship with ghost, or fairy's relationship with fire... basically all the weird and somewhat obscure ones.

I've always had difficulty remembering match-ups for steel. Often forgetting which moves Steel resist and which ones it doesn't, since it resists almost everything. Even now, I've got the urge to check a guide to see if Steel is resistant to Grass or not.

I cannot ever remember weaknesses for Dark besides Fighting and I never remember that Water is neutral to Electric, not weak to. Also, since it's new, I only remember Fairy's strength against Poison and Dragon- nothing else about that type.

Hydroblade

Formerly Magic Jack
Poison and Bug are not very effective towards Ghost, i know that, but im still getting used to the fact that Dark does 1x damage to Steel as of Gen VI now, instead of 0.5

I always forget whether or not bug types resist psychic. I think the main reason that's the case is because of the number of bug/poison types. It trips me up even to this day! And I've been playing pokemon since it's inception, so I ain't got any excuse