• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gym badges out of order!

Status
Not open for further replies.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Did you know it's possible to do gym badges out of order?

I discovered this by accident in my Fire Red game. I couldn't get into Sabrina's gym in Saffron because I hadn't done the Silph Company building because I hadn't done whatever I needed to do to make the Team Rocket guard move. So after clearing out the Fighting Dojo in Saffron, I went on to Fuschia to do Koga's gym. Then I got distracted by Colosseum (again) and breeding in Leaf Green, and didn't play FR for a while. When I got back to it, I knew that Fuschia was the last gym I'd done, so thought the next one must be Cinnabar. It was only when I was halfway round and noticed the Pokemon levels seemed a lot higher than my team that I remembered I hadn't actually done the Saffron gym yet! Having got halfway round, I figured I'd go on anyway and see if the game would let me do the badges out of order.

Well, it did. Or at least, it let me get the 7th badge after defeating Blaine, despite having a big gap on my trainer's card for no 6. I don't know whether it would then let me get the 6th badge because I didn't save. Mostly because I couldn't remember what the 6th and 7th badges unlock, and figured that if the 6th badge unlocks "all Pokemon up to level 50 obey you" and the 7th badge unlocks "all Pokemon up to level 70 obey you", doing them out of order might do seriously bad stuff to my game. And I didn't really feel like enduring ~25 hours of gameplay just to find out if it screws up or not, especially as it might screw up in a way that's invisible at first but quite messy later.

What do the 6th & 7th badges get you? I'm very tempted to find out the answer to whether it'll let me get the 6th badge if I already have the 7th one, by a) finishing the rest of the 6th gym, b) trading across a level 60ish pkmn, c) SAVING then d) defeating Blaine, e) defeating Sabrina. But this seems like a lot of hassle just to find out something that's not very interesting.

Ah well.

I always do them out of order, because I think Sabrina is frickin' hard. As for levels, you can't beat Blaine without beating Koga because of Surf. As for levels, I think Sabrina gives you the level 70 badge, and I do not think it will screw up your game, because Erika gives you the level 50 badge and Koga and Blaine's badges have no levels attached to them.

I hope that made sense. O_o

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I like to change-up my order whenever I can, just to make the games feel fresh. Last time I went for Sabina first, so this time I'm heading down to Fuschia instead. It's also cool how you can take either the Bike Trail or Route 64 to get there ^_^

Considering all the times, and all the different ways, I've beaten the original Red and Blue I can tell you that nothing you do will screw up your game. As long as you don't take a AR to it or somehow mess with its coding you're safe ;)

baratron

Staff member
Humph, so there I was thinking I'd discovered something interesting and actually I'd just reinvented the wheel? :oops: Huh.

I suppose, if the GBA Pokemon games are that flexible, it must make the shocking linearity of Pokemon Colosseum all that much more annoying... (I get urges to jump up and down on that game on a regular basis, which is why I STILL haven't completed it 100%).

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's true. Colosseum was much more Linear than any of the true GB RPGs. R/S and G/S/C were quite a bit more linear than R/Y/B, but they did have multiple paths at certain locations. Usually it involves a location you have to Surf to.

R/B/Y had the Koga/Blaine/Sabrina area.
G/S/C had Jasmine/Chuck/Pryce.
R/S had... basically, the only thing you could do was go to Sootopolis before the Magma/Aqua base.
Colosseum had nada. Zilch.

So the first gen and the second gen have the most variability... and the the second gen has Kanto, in which you can go wherever the hell you want. :D

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Man, I gotta replay Johto sometime. I'm forgetting everything about it! x.x

Going back to the GBC games is gonna be hard, though, especially since I didn't like them much in the first place... I wish they'd remake Johto too :?

baratron

Staff member
Maybe they will remake the Johto games - on the DS, or the Game Boy Hyper Advance Super Turbo II :roll:.

No, then they wouldnt have made it possible to get all of the G/S/C pokemon through colleseum and fire red/leaf green, or most of them atleast, and you can even get some in Emerald.

I remember the first time i played Red/Blue, i got confused because i couldnt fight Giovanni yet. After hours of wondering around i finally figured out that i didnt face Koga, crazy crazy.

@Blueavenger - You can still use Surf in battle if you dont have the badge. Just not out.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
"antisuperheroguy said:
No"]

That only applies to the third Generation. If the remakes were on the DS - they would be in the 4th Generation and who knows what set up will be used there.

I think it's rather likely a Gold and Silver remake will appear sometime - but hopefully ironing out the huge problems with it too - like either dropping Kanto or putting restrictions on travelling there.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
R/S had... basically, the only thing you could do was go to Sootopolis before the Magma/Aqua base.
Colosseum had nada

Correction, you could beat Tate and Liza before Winona. I think.

You might be able to, but I don't know if you can enter the Magma/Aqua base before you beat Winona. The game might have it so that beating Winona triggers the Mt. Pyre event.

I have but only in Johto. I never really could beat Jasmine after Chuck, because her Steelix is tough so I always beat Pryce first, but then had to still train more to beat Jasmine's Steelix. Maybe its because I chose Chikorita as my starter.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Seve, this topic. Its from 2004! 04! o-o Stopit! You're gonna be banned at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.