• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gotta Debate 'Em All!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 284192

I find a lot of Pokemon get an unnecessary amount of praise or completely undeserved praise, and I am taking it upon myself to expose them for their true worth (that being that I personally don't care for them). It is important to note that these opinions are based solely on their designs, NOT how they stand as a competitive Pokemon. Feel free to use this thread to call out other Pokemon you feel are overrated, or if you want to call me out for my garbage opinions.

My first victim will be Gallade. I am not a particular fan of Gardevoir, but I am a huge fan of fighting type Pokemon, and I think Gallade is a bit of a disgrace. I don't like many pokemon designs with those twig-like limbs and proportions. Other examples (I refer to them as Poketwigs) would be Greninja, Intelleon (Intelleon is possibly the greatest offender).

As a fighting pokemon connoisseur, I find the ideal fighting type Pokemon to be one of great bulk. Good examples would be your Machokes and your Conkeldurrs. I'm not saying you NEED this in order to be a good fighting type. Pokemon like Lucario and Medicham pull it off because there is a visible amount of muscle that would have me saying "Dang, I really hope that Lucario doesn't kick me in the chest and break my ribs."

I am aware Gallade has a mega evolution, and much like other mega evolutions, I wouldn't say it's an improvement. They gave him a cape, but Gallade's problem doesn't stem from his lack of a cape. Now, I can see the error in Gamefreak's thought process when designing mega Gallade. They looked at a classic character like Superman and said "Superman is cool because superman has a cape. When Gallade has a cape Gallade is Superman?" Sorry Gamefreak, I'm gonna have to correct you on that misstep. Superman is cool and he does in fact wears a cape. But you failed to consider, GAMEFREAK, that Superman is also beefy as EF! I don't expect an apology, I'm just saying that they should consider this when they design their Gina-Max Gallades and their Giga-Max Gallades in the future.

Well, personally, I like Gallade. I think that non-bulky Pokemon like Lucario and Gallade focus on more spiritual martial arts. That's why Gallade is Psychic type and can learn things like Psycho Cut and Heal Pulse as it is a more spiritual warrior. This also explains the twiggy limbs. It focuses less on messing you up from up close and focuses more on messing you up from a distance, even if this doesn't make sense with stats.
It reminds me of Tien from Dragon Ball, in a way, and its Mega Evolution reminds me of the outfit Tien wore during the Buu Saga.
I personally like it, but I do understand why you don't.

Jayblade

Previously AceTrainerGold
While I do really like Gallade, I do see where you’re coming from. On some Pokemon the “twig” body type really looks weird to me, Inteleon is really awkward looking to me, although I’m a fan of the concept. But for some reason I can’t imagine Gallade being beefier/bulkier, I feel it’d be a little weird. So in Gallade’s case I think it’s skinner proportions actually work. My only real complaint in terms of it’s design is the weird fat waist, though that may just be a minor complaint.

One Pokemon I’ve never really been a fan of is Blaziken. A lot of people like it and I really like the concept, but the design never really did it for me. Of course Blaziken started the whole fire/fighting thing, which tbf is a type combo I’m a fan of but like many I really hate that Is was used 3 generations in a row.
Tbh I can’t really think of a solid reason why I don’t like the design, I just don’t. Maybe it’s the crotch feathers...
But honestly I may just be biased because I picked Treecko in Emerald, and to this day Sceptile is one of my favourite pokemon, if not my absolute favourite.

D

Deleted member 284192

I'd say I feel indifferent about Blaziken. I definitely prefer his design to the other fire/fighting starter final evolutions, but I also have a Treecko bias. If I were to make one solid complaint about Blaziken's design, it would be his legs. When they are plopped onto the ground and you can't see its talons underneath, it just looks really bizarre. I do definitely prefer Blaziken's base form over its mega, then again I am not fond of most of the mega evolution designs. I don't find most of them to be all that creative or innovative. A fair amount of megas are just more designy than the base forms or will add random spikes or something like that.

While I also find Blaziken's design somewhat simplistic and boring, at least it isn't Combusken, with the fat thighs and tiggy legs making it look very odd. Worst middle form of a starter, if you ask me.

One Pokemon I've never understood the love for is Charizard. Not only does it get 2 garbage Mega Evolutions and a Gigantamax which really annoys me, it also overshadows every starter except for the other beloved ones, such as Blaziken (which we already talked about), Incineroar and Cinderace.
I also hate it just because it represents everything wrong with the original games. Basic design, strange design choices (Fire/Flying instead of Fire/Dragon) and so on. Maybe it's just my bias for Gen 5 that makes me hate this thing because it is undoubtedly the most popular Pokemon of the group of fans that used to or still hate my favourite game, but whatever.

D

Deleted member 284192

As much nostalgic attachment as I have to gen 1 pokemon, I can't really defend most of them. The only part of gen 1 I prefer over later gens is that pokemon designs pulled from all sorts of creatures and weren't necessarily based off of one animal. It's hard to look at a gen 1 pokemon and label exactly which animal it is (obviously that doesn't go for every one of them). I've always liked that. As for Charizard, I have an unfair biased because anime so I am not gonna lie and say I dislike Charizard. I don't like either of his megas. His G-max is alright but compared to other G-max forms its Eh. He definitely shouldn't have gotten a G-max though.

Jayblade

If I’m gonna be honest, Charizard is one of those Pokemon where simple is better, and I really like it in all honesty. I’m not a fan of how much extra stuff it gets, but that doesn’t make me dislike the Pokemon at all, it makes me annoyed at Gamefreak. I do have some nostalgia for Charizard because of the anime and picking it in fire red, but even without nostalgia goggles I still think it’s a great Pokemon. And in terms of Charizard being fire/flying over fire/dragon, that was probably down so Charizard wouldn’t be too overpowered.

D

Deleted member 284192

One of my personal least favorite starter Pokemon is Infernape and his squad of monkeymon. Now, I am not the biggest fan of the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum games as I kind of skipped over them, and when I did play them I never ended up finishing them. I am not crazy about any of the starters, but I have always especially had disdain for fire monkey. I have never viewed the Pokemon any higher than just a Blaziken with opposable thumbs. I am aware a lot of people like this pokemon an awful lot, and that is the reason I am going after it. Anything that Infernape did cool, Blaziken did first, only its a chicken. Hell, I even prefer the Emboar line over them (though I do genuinely like Tepig and Pignite).

Jayblade

While I disagree, I can’t really argue with it here tbh. Infernape is my favourite fire/fighting starter, by a noticeable margin. Even though Blaziken came first, I think Infernape is way cooler, and it’s not even my favourite Sinnoh starter, Torterra takes up that spot. Gen 4 is definitely my favourite generation, Diamond and Pearl are decent, but Platinum is what really saves them, and HGSS are just the best imo.

Also I’d like to bring up a Pokemon I like that a lot of people dislike, Samurott. I mean it’s by far the best the Unova starter imo in terms of design, it’s a samurai otter, that’s amazing. And while I admit I wasn’t a fan of the design when I first saw it back when it was revealed, it has grown on me a lot and is now one of my favourite starters and even Pokemon in general. And Dewott is also a really cool middle evolution, probably my favourite just behind Grovyle.

D

Deleted member 284192

Right behind on HGSS there, no question about it. I like the Oshawott line a lot; Dewott is sick as heck. I respect your opinion of Samurott, don't get me wrong. I'd love to like samurott, its concept is very epic, but I can't say they executed it all that well. The fact that it isn't bipedal just kind of ruins the design for me. They had the right idea giving it a sword, but it rarely has it out.

Jayblade

That’s the thing Samurott’s design could’ve been a lot better, the main issue with it is that it differs too much from its previous evolutions, to the point where it looks more a like a sea lion than an otter. But while I think it could’ve been much better, I still love Samurott’s design.

Samurott used to be my favourite starter, actually. Then Cinderace came along. I don't think the complete change in shape and body type is a bad thing, because it's a huge kind of metamorphosis, albeit a bit of a stretch to say that. It is also similar to Shiftry in that regard. I've always liked it, but again, that might be my bias to Generation 5.

You know, I truly do not understand why people hate the Forces Of Nature trio. People love the special forms of them, but hate the standard forms. I think that the standard forms are pretty cool, despite the similarities between the three. I like to think that the standard forms are more modernised version of Greek Gods and the special forms are them in their real appearance from long ago. I don't know if they actually say that in the game (I haven't completed Gen 5 in a while), but I like to believe that.

D

Deleted member 284192

Yeah, I guess they're too humanoid for people's liking, and I get that, but I also think the forces of nature trio all look goofy as hell so I kind of love them.

D

Deleted member 284192

Today's Target: Goodra

Now I couldn't care less about Gen 6 since I didn't play any of the 3ds titles, because it wasn't cool to like pokemon back in middle school, if you know what I'm saying. There are a good few of the X and Y pokemon that I have looked back on and said "They're neat" or "I understand the appeal." Unfortunately I can't say the same for Goodra.

I understand Ash had a Goodra in the anime so I am sure that had some sort of significance in its popularity (I say this because a good few of Ash's pokemon from the Indigo League had an impact on my opinion of those Pokemon).

The other argument I could see is it kind of has the same vibe that a Pokemon like Dragonite has going on, where it is powerful looking but it is also a big goofy looking dragon that you wanna hug. That is where I would disagree, because I don't want to hug a Goodra. I don't want to go near a Goodra because it is most definitely covered in a layer of it's own goo or saliva or something like that. In fact as I was writing this, I read about the pokemon on Serebii to discover that its Pokemon X dex entry states "This very friendly Dragon-type Pokémon will hug its beloved Trainer, leaving that Trainer covered in sticky slime."

All that being said, I think I could have looked passed this Pokemon's faults if it weren't for it's big globs of slime dripping from its chin and arms. I don't care if it is flesh and not actually goo; Gamefreak designed this Pokemon so that it looks like slime is dripping from its face.

Jayblade

Yeah, I can agree with you on Goodra. I hate Pokemon like Goodra and Swalot that look like snot and mucus.
But I generally hate Gen 6. I can't think of any Pokemon from X and Y that wasn't a Mega Evolution or a starter Pokemon that I liked. Maybe Noivern and the Honedge line, but apart from that, I hate all of them.
X and Y are probably my least favourite Pokemon games , but it did have some really good Pokemon, like Hawlucha, Talonflame, Pangoro, Greninja. And Goodra was one of my personal favourites tbh.

Oh yeah, I forgot Hawlucha and Talonflame, but the rest of them (that aren't starters) are bad.

Here's a Pokemon that lots of people seem to hate on: Watchog.
People say this Pokemon is weird, and they dislike the eyes and find it creepy, but I love it. It's goofy and adorable to me. The eyes being crazy make it even funnier to me, because they make it seem like it's scary and strong, but then it's just funny and weak. Some would say that's a bad part, where it subverts expectations, but I like it because of that.

D

Deleted member 284192

I am a fan of Patrat, and I don't really care for Watchog. I do like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon that people don't think too highly of. Sawk and Throh are some high tier Pokemon in my book. I've also become more fond of Herdier and Stoutland (I could care less about Lillipup though).

I want a Pokemon based off of an Old-English Sheep Dog.
I think we might be getting a bit off-topic, though.
So...
I really don't like Mewtwo.
I find it boring and lifeless to see in every darn game.
None of the games show it has any kind of personality, and you may say "well, other Pokemon don't do that either!" but other Pokemon do.
Lucario shows off a prideful warrior. Dewott shows off a playful troublemaker. Et cetera, et cetera.
Mewtwo shows off... an uninterested snob? I guess?

To join in on this discussion, I understand your argument regarding Mewtwo. Now, I must say I can't look at Mewtwo without being biased, due to it being awesome in the first Pokémon movie. But apart from that, what does it really do? Not all that much. It has a whole mansion dedicated to it in the Kanto games, while meanwhile, it's just sitting there in Cerulean Cave! Having seen the first Pokémon movie before I played FireRed, I never understand why it had such a big role in that movie, and such a small role in the games, given how important it seemed to the storyline. And let's not even get started on it's Mega Evolutions, which are both trash (although Y is still way much better than X, change my mind).

D

Deleted member 284192

So I was trying to find a Pokemon from Sword and Shield that I don't like that most people do like. It was a bit hard because it seems like most people are very mixed on the designs of these Pokemon. Even just looking at the starters, you got some people goofing on Cinderace, some people loving Cinderace, and the same stands for the other two. Normally there is one starter that mostly everybody likes, but I haven't really seen that in Gen 8. Normally there is at least one Pokemon that everyone loves, and I can't understand why. I suppose if there were a Pokemon from this gen that has had consistent praise, it would be Corviknight, but I don't dislike Corviknight. Anyways, I'm just gonna list off a few Pokemon that get a decent amount of popularity (in terms of design) from Sw/Sh that I don't like.

Galarian Ponyta and Galarian Rapidash are possibly the two most uninteresting Pokemon designs of this region. When I saw Galarian Ponyta revealed, I said "Makes sense." Galarian Rapidash is just a bigger unicorn. I don't really have too much of a problem with this pokemon, I just don't think it is all that interesting. I especially am not gonna say anymore because you could easily argue that a lot of the gen 1 Pokemon are just as uninteresting.

I never liked Yamper. I think it is the color palette. I don't know why, but I do not like a lot of the color palettes of Pokemon in this game. Too flashy I suppose? I don't really like Boltund either. Something about his design annoys me, which is odd because normally I am all for Pokedogs, but not this one. It just seems to enthusiastic.

I don't really like Orbeetle all that much, which is unfortunate because I really like Blipbug and Dottler. I can understand the appeal of Orbeetle most definitely, but there is something about it's puny little body in contrast to it's big meaty UFO head. I just don't think it looks good. It's G-max is mega epic though, not gonna lie.

I don't like Nickit and Thievul. These Pokemon probably could have worked much better if they were bipedal. I especially don't like Nickit because of its tail. The concept behind using its tail to hide its tracks is cool, I just think the tail looks very odd and confusing. It kind of reminds me of a roomba and maybe that is what they were going for, but I would have gone for something else. I know a lot of people disliked Thievul's mustache, but that doesn't really bother me.

Those might not all be particularly popular Pokemon but I dislike them enough to tell people who do like them how I feel.

Jayblade

Thievul’s moustache only annoys because the female has it too, which I personally find a bit strange. But overall what makes the dislike the Pokemon is it’s body shape. Idk what it is about it but it looks to have a massive chest I guess, I just find it looking weird to me.

As for Boltund, I think it’s cool, and Yamper is pretty cute to me. Though in its 3D model, Boltund looks pretty lifeless and boring. But overall I quite like it, still not the best electric type dog though.

I actually like a lot of the gen 8 Pokemon, but one that I really dislike that I think quite a few like is Grimmsnarl. It’s got a cool typing and all but something about it’s design doesn’t appeal to me, I think it’s all the hair over it’s body (at least I think it’s hair). And it’s G Max is weird too.
If I were to say my favourite gen 8 Pokemon, it would be Toxtricity. I know it’s a cliche opinion but to me it’s design and typing is just awesome.

D

Deleted member 284192

Yeah, I actually like a good few of the gen 8 pokemon and there aren't too many I really hate. I kind of like Grimmsnarl but it definitely caught me off guard when I first saw it. It's proportions are a bit weird because it's upper body is so bulky compared to it's stomach region. I find it's G-max really amusing because it looks like a Jojos character.

I like every single Gen 8 Pokemon. I think all of them are interesting and unique.
Some may be odd to me, like Grimmsnarl, but the oddness is what makes them great to me.
Galarian Rapidash being just a bigger unicorn is fine with me, since the same goes with the normal Rapidash. Can't blame an uninteresting adaptation if the source material is bad.

D

Deleted member 284192

My Pokemon for today: Staraptor.

I like a fair amount of the regional birds. When I say regional bird, I am referring to the Pokemon you run into early on in the games (Not pokemon like Skarmory, Braviery, Cramorant, etc.) My personal favorite would have to be Swellow. I definitely appreciate some of the new birds of the recent games that are ignoring the trend of having a Flying/Normal typing because that was always a pretty ridiculous rule that Gamefreak followed when making their birds.

There is one Pokebird that I am not fond of, that being Staraptor. To be honest, I don't even have a very logical reason to dislike this Pokemon that much, other than my overwhelming biases for other Pokebirds. I've just noticed whenever I talk to someone about some of their favorite Pokemon, Staraptor seems to come up an awful lot.

To me, Staraptor looks like it is trying too hard to be cool, unlike a naturally epic bird like Swellow or Pigeotto. The thing is I kind of like Starly and Staravia's designs but then Staravia's charming Jimmy Neutron-esc hairdo goes and becomes that super edgelord scythe looking thing. That is the problem; Staraptor is a little edgelord.

So what are your favorite pokebirds? Least favorite pokebirds?

Jayblade

Not gonna lie I think my favourite region bird is also Swellow, I think it’s design is simply but effective, it just looks really clean and sleek to me, plus I had a pretty good Swellow in Emerald. And if I’m being honest Staraptor is probably my second favourite, might be because of my nostalgia for gen 4, but overall I am a fan.

As for my least favourite, I know it’s a pretty common and cliche answer, but imma have to say Unfeazant, specifically female. The male version isn’t quite cool ngl, but the female one is so forgettable and boring, and it’s the only regional bird I’ve never bothered to have on my team, that’s how boring I find it.

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
My favorite pokebird would be Toucannon. For some reason I just synced with him. His power is great and his signature move isn't bad, he was pretty useful on my sun playthrough. Not to mention its a freaking cannon bird! Sick.

If I had to rank the birds, I'd say Toucannon, Pidgeot, Staraptor, Unfezant, Swellow,Talonflame,Noctowl,Corvinight is my list from best to least favorite. Corvinight and noctowl are the only regional birds I did not use.

D

Deleted member 284192

I'm switching things up today by praising underrated Pokemon rather than spitting on overrated garbage because I'm dry on complaint juice.

I will start with one of my personal favorite Pokemon of all time: Torkoal.

I love Torkoal. Torkoal is great. He isn't talked about enough. I think I'd honestly prefer if this Pokemon was hated because then there would be an actual conversation about this gem, but unfortunately nobody acknowledges this Pokemon's existence very much, which could quite honestly be one of the cruelest fates for a Pokemon.

The fire typing is probably my second favorite typing and I think Torkoal is an exceptional fire type. He's also a tortoise and tortoises are (pardon my french) EFing sick. Emerald is probably my second favorite Pokemon game because I've played it a ton. I also remember a time when we were picking out a birthday present for my friend and I got him a Torkoal plush. I've probably got an unfair nostalgic bias for this Pokemon but just trust me, this Pokemon is cool and definitely should be hooked up with a G-max form.

D

Deleted member 284192

I shall revive this thread with one single opinion filled with such heracy and malice that I'll be burned at the Pokecharms stake and forever be referred to as "Thou who shall not be named."

Toxtricity is not that cool.

It's got those rubbery flabs on its chest that he strums like a guitar, but every time it does that I'm just imagining what kind of a texture those flabs have. They probably feel like jello or something that would make me very uncomfortable. It has that weird spiky belt-like thing that goes around it's waste but doesn't connect at its front. Not a fan of that. It's legs are super stubby especially compared to its arms. Not to mention its toes. It's toes are weird, don't know why. I don't like either of Toxtricity's color pallets. They are too flashy.

Nah, I'm just playing around. While there is a good amount of truth to those statements, I do actually like Toxtricity. I even used one on my team when I played Shield, and if there is another Pokemon rep in smash (there probably will be) it should be Toxtricity.

Other than that, someone please respond to this thread, I beg of you. It's so lonely here! SAVE MEEEE!

Gamingfan

Previously Gamingfan2
It's legs are super stubby especially compared to its arms. Not to mention its toes. It's toes are weird, don't know why.

I absolutely agree with you there. I really wanted a poison/electric pokemon prior to gen 8 and GF didn't really disappoint, although I was kinda indifferent about it for a bit. Does toes thoes. It's thievul's mustache for toxtricity, except I'm actually okay with the mustache.

Speaking of which, why does literally no one like thievul. They complain about the moustache but I really don't understand why that ruins the entire design.

Eh, I don't care for Thievul in really any way. I honestly preferred Nickit because that was pretty cute.

But can we talk about Yungoos and Gumshoos? I get that the whole "Donald Trump is a Pokemon HEHEHE" thing is pretty funny, but it just looks ugly to me.

D

Deleted member 284192

Never played Sun and Moon, but I always liked Yungoos and Gumshoos. I guess Gumshoos just looks like the kind of Pokemon that demands respect and gets respect. As such, it earns my respect.

Jayblade

Eh I’m gonna try revive this, hope it works.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but Heracross is my favourite bug type, and one of my favourite Pokemon overall. The answer I see most people point to is Scizor for their favourite bug type, due to its sleek design and at the time unique typing. While I have always thought Scizor was awesome, I’ve always been drawn towards Heracross. It has an awesome typing (in my opinion) and it’s design, while really simple, is really nice. Not to mention Ash’s Heracross was great, both in terms of personality and battle. It’s a big part in why I love this Pokemon so much, so it’s a shame he didn’t use it too much.

D

Deleted member 284192

I completely agree with you there. Heracross is one of my favorites as well. Not a fan of it's mega evolution design, but oh well.

On the topic of Scizor though, I am one of the people who thinks Scyther has the superior design. I just don't think the scizor claws are as cool as the scythe hands. I also think it's neat that Scyther doesn't exclusively look like a bug, rather it also looks like it could be some sort of reptile or even dragon. I mostly get that from it's head shape, but it does a lot for the design imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.