• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Got a team planned out for Platinum yet?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not sure how particular some of you are with your Pokemon teams, but for a long while now I've had a team planned out to use when Platinum finally arrives. After going through Diamond and Pearl so many times, I figured I'd pass on my usual "catch random Pokemon the first play through" mentality and plan out the team in advance. It shall involve much breeding and trading with Platinum when I first get the game, but should be fun in the long run ^^

So, my line-up:
- Torterra (Because I want a starter for Amity Square)
- Marowak
- Drifblim
- Rapidash
- Muk
- Lapras
- PorygonZ
- Aerodactyl
- Roserade
- Gallade

Yeah... one way or another, they're all gonna be EV trained before I start into Platinum properly (some hatched on Platinum first, and some traded over for boosted EXP). I just enjoy having large teams to rotate between, and having the Battle Frontier back again makes it that much more worth it XD

For the most part, these are all Pokemon I either haven't trained yet this gen (ie. Lapras), or have never trained at all (which is actually the majority of that list). That's generally how I play through the games these days because it's just fun getting to know all the different Pokemon/how gen 4 changed 'em.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm in the process of breeding mine, although it's not going so well at the moment. I'm trying to catch myself a Timid Ditto, so that I can get that nature onto a female Sceptile to breed with... so far no look XD

My Team shall consist of my favourites ~

Manectric
Murkrow
Sceptile
Miltank
Flygon
Floatzel

I'm looking forward to being able to play the game through with my actual team, rather than having to wait for Pal Park etc to obtain them.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm trying to catch myself a Timid Ditto, so that I can get that nature onto a female Sceptile to breed with... so far no look XD

Want to borrow mine? XD

And that's awesome, Magpie. I did the same thing for my previous play through Pearl (used my dream team), and I must admit that it was one of my most enjoyable play-throughs yet. Having them all EV trained from the get-go also took away any worry of accumulating bad EVs, so I felt much more free to battle as I liked ^^

While the anti-vit berries do reverse your EVs, I'm still always consciously aware of what I'm receiving as I play (knowledge I just can't unlearn or ignore anymore)... so if anything, EV training beforehand eases my mind and lets me enjoy myself more overall XD

... And this is why I tell people "If you're not a competitive battler, don't ask what EVs or IVs are. Just don't." XP

I did this for Pearl and never finished it - so I think I'll just see how it goes for Platinum.

I would like to try and take full advantage of the Pokemon with new 4th Gen evolutions though - I still haven't trained the majority of them. Some, I haven't even used any form of really...

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Want to borrow mine? XD

Sent you a PM XD

It's something I've wanted to do for ages, and you saying that it was one of the best play-throughs ever makes me even more excited XD

With the EVs I don't mind them so much, I'm just planning to send over the EV-taking berries and grow loads of them throughout the game, so that once I'm done with the play-through, I can redo their EVs. I'm sure it will be in the back of my mind when I'm battling something that will be giving attack EVs to my Manectric, but meh XD

Do I have a team planned? Not in the least.

Because whenever I get a plan for something ahead of time, it generally falls apart when the time comes. I have some teams in shoddy I'd like to recreate, but even that's shaky. My mind changes far too much. As in, I find other Pokemon I like, find something too much effort to breed/train, find out that a Pokemon rocks/sucks, etc. XD So yeah, my team plan? "Come what may" It'll form when it forms. Well, I can tell you and Ice Punching Lucario or Gallade will be on my team, lol.

Of course! I've been obsessing over it! Kept myself awake at night re-breeding to get the natures that I wanted.

Piplup (I'm partial to water starters)
Jolteon- Lv. 5
Chatot- Lv. 5
Magby- Lv. 5
Sableye- Lv. 5- One of the two pokemon without a weakness...
Bulbasaur- Lv. 5

Fully Evolved team-
Empoleon
Jolteon
Chatot (Probably will be replaced)
Magmar/ Magmortar
Sableye
Venusaur

All of these except the Piplup are from my Diamond.
It varies from my Diamond team a bit.
Still waiting for the Stinkin' Sableye egg to hatch...
Agh! 23 more days... I can't wait that long!

Heck yes! Been planning my team to trade over as soon as I can (which will actually involve borrowing my friend's DS if I can). Going to try going through the game with a team I generally haven't used before. Been breeding like mad the past week to get fun egg moves and appropriate natures to sweep through in game. Even got a shiny Skarmory to do it with! :3

Blaziken
Torterra
Starmie
Skarmory
Armaldo
Bibarel (HM slave ftw!)

Don't think I am really going to worry about EV training though, considering I still have my competetive team that still isn't done being EV trained...

Yes and no.

HM Slave / Lanturn
HM Slave / Absol
Porygon2
Flygon
Furret
Swellow

The last two on the list should be expected. The ones other than Lanturn are some of my personal favourites. They'll be all EV'd, have the right nature and will have full movesets by the time I get Platinum. A few of them will get a move in Platinum (Notably Flygon's Outrage and Furret's Elemental Punch). Mainly a team of 3 sweepers (1 Physical, 2 Mixed) and the sole wall in Porygon2. Balanced no. Fun, yes.

I don't have a very solid team plan yet, but I have a few ideas. I know I'm going to catch a Kricketot and evolve it into a Kricketune and actually keep them, because when I played Diamond I eventually ditched my Kricketune since they were weak. I want to choose Turtwig as my starter again because I like Torterra a lot more now. Hopefully I get a male this time. And I am most definitely not leaving Floaroma until I get a Drifloon, they are a must have for me. So to sum it up:

-Kricketune
-Torterra
-Drifloon (Who I'll evolve into Drifblim at some point, but I wanna keep them as a 'Floon for a while.)

I think I am tempted now to breed until I get a good Pokemon and then transfer that to my Platinum, I can never have too many Spindas...

Nope, but I'm thinking of going with mostly EVed Dark/Ghost types XD

Like:
Absol (XP)
Froslass
Drapion
Tyranitar
Houndoom/Peliper HM slave
HM SLAVE BIBAREL

general Idea XD

It's pending, really.

yeah i kinda want my team like this:

honchkrow (gotta importit from my diamond because you cant catch a murkrow in plat.)
torterra (i'm wondering if its good... i always picked chimchar, can anyone say if its good or not?)
flareon ( or umbreon/espeon but i think flareon)
electivire ( i NEED a good elec. pokemon not a luxray he is soo bad)
mamoswine (he's not very fast but STRONG!)
and my best pokemon!!!! HM slave :D (bibarel)

Hiya! I want my team to go like this.

-My Shiny Venemoth.
-A Fang bred Mightyena
-My Ownage Rypherior ;)
-My Espeon
-Roserade !
-Mamoswine Ice+Ground :D

I'm just gonna catch some sucky pokemon then just trade them so I have the team on Plat.

I think my brother has one planned out, full of ubers of course, hes just waiting for the Arceus event and also for Platinum to come out so he can get the moves for his PERFECT speed Shaymin.

Yes, I have a general idea of what my team will consist of:
-Torterra
-Luxray
-Noctowl
-Marowak
-Bibarel/HM SLAVE
-Dragonite
They're all my favorite pokemon
(except for evil-stare Bibarel)

I've been toying with the idea of a Ghost team for Platinum. Sadly, I'm a noob to the EV scene, so I'm trying to figure out how that works while deciding on the team itself. Considering these:

-Haunter
-Gengar
-Spiritomb
-Sableye/Mismagius
-Drifblim/Banette
-Dusknoir

My team is:
- Torterra
- Infernape
- Empoleon
- Electivire
- Crobat
- Honchcrow

It was a good team to play through; now I just need one for post-elite-four. (battle frontier.)

I was thinking a good team of three- since I always have a pokemon holding the EXP share, and an egg in my party, 6 just doesn't work.

So...
- Gyarados
- Snorlax
- Salamance

I have always used one of those in a team, but never in 4th generation. I can't wait too start on them!

I had this team planned out a few weeks before the release of Platinum:

-Torterra
-Swampert
-Garchomp
-Staraptor
-Dusknoir
-Raichu

I added these pokemon so that it would be easier for me to beat the upcoming gyms. Nice balance of atk, def, and spd. Torterra and Swampert are failed EV training attempts.

im planning out a team like this.
porygon-z (spec sweeper) moveset: shadow ball, psychic, thunderbolt, dark pulse item: petaya berry
lucario (physical sweeper) moveset: swords dance, shadow claw, drain punch, close combat item: leichi berry
mence (physical sweeper) moveset: dragon dance, dragon claw, stone edge, eq item: focus sash
t-tar (spec sweeper + sandstorm setup) moveset: dark pulse, dragon pulse, rock polish, shadow ball item: leftovers
skarm (physical tank + spikes) moveset: drill peck, rest, spikes, roar item: chesto berry
bliss (spec tank + stealth rock, para hax) moveset: stealth rock, thunder wave, softboiled, siesmic toss item: leftovers
my stratagy for this team is to deal serious damage w/ my sweepers and set up sandstorm w/ t-tar to deal a bit of additonal damage. the rest of my team is pretty well prepared as skarmory and lucario have immunity to sandstorm and bliss can just recover that back w/ leftovers. t-tar also gains from the leftovers while the opponent suffers small damage. the reason i have 2 steel types was because i was originally planning to use chomp over lucario, but they made chomp uber >:( if i had used chomp it would have looked something like this.
moveset: dragon claw, eq, swords dance, substitute item: life orb