• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Globetrotting and Other Travel

Recently, I've developed a sort of...obsession with traveling (and photographing) the world. I figured that there was no way that I'm the only person on this website that has, or wants to travel, so we could use a little space to discuss it.

As far as places that I have actually been: I left the country once, to go see my sister who was studying abroad in Spain. It was an incredibly lovely country, and I'd love to go back one day. Within my own country, I've been to New York City several times, Boston three times, and Washington DC plenty of times, too. I've only left the East Coast once, for a family vacation to California when I was way too young to remember it.

My "travel bucket list" right now is pretty much limitless...but I did assign myself a rather manageable goal: visit all of the US National Parks.

How about all of you? What exciting places have you traveled to? Where do you want to travel? Where would you never go back to?

I've mostly traveled within Europe. I've visited London, Berlin, other German places such as Cologne and Idar-Obenstein. I've been as far south as Rome, I've spent time in Paris and the cities around Lac Serre-Poncon in France. The furthest east I've ever been is Kroatia. Switzerland and Luxembourg are also beautiful places to visit.

Outside of Europe, I've traveled to America a couple of times; One time in California, and another time for a roadtrip from Houston to Miami and back, obviously passing through several states.

Places I would love to visit are, mostly, all of Japan, Australia and New Zealand, Hawaii, and several Scandinavian countries.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I've been to Spain (lots of different parts and islands over the years), Lanzarote, Portugal, Ireland, Florida, Egypt, Paris, Dubai and East Africa. And I've also visited many places is the four countries that make up Britain, England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales :)

Spain and Lanzarote are beautiful places, but I went there so often when I was younger on family holidays that I grew rather sick of them and have no desire to go back, even though I've seen some lovely sights and done some fantastic things there. Portugal was nice because it was different, and I also swam with Dolphins while there, so that holiday will never be forgotten. Ireland shall always be remembered fondly purely because of the people. They had some stories to tell, and that trip is the reason I call my dad 'fither' to this day, because that's how they all said father xD

Florida was amazing. I can't begin to tell you how amazing, but we did so much in the two and bit weeks we were there. Universal Studios Orlando was epic, so were Sea World and Busch Gardens. Food was MASSIVE. We also travelled down to a place called Crystal River where I swam with Manatees :D

CIMG5339_zpsfb8b6d2a.jpg

Egypt was the first holiday that I paid for all by myself, having saved up for ages. I love Egyptian mythology and it was a dream of mine to go and so I did. I went to the Temple of Horus (Edfu) even though I had to catch a random two hour taxi to get there, and survived the various dangers along the way. All the temples, such as Edfu, Karnak, Luxor and many more were just beyond anything I'd ever dreamed and my time there blew my mind. I'd like to go back one day, and maybe sail down the Nile.

DSCF1162_zps3e04e369.jpg

Paris was for VGC12 and even though I disliked the chaos of Paris I really loved the long weekend, mainly due to the company. Also, because me and Chris (Havak) got there a day earlier than everyone else, we went to see the Louvre Museum, which was epic (and had half the stuff missing from Egypt!)

IMG_0357_zps1c34b658.jpg

And this year I went on Safari with my best friend for almost three weeks. We stopped over in Dubai and then visited Kenya, Tanzania and the island of Zanzibar. Kenya was amazing and the animals were amazing. Giraffe and Zebra literally just wander alongside roads like we'd see Cattle and Sheep back here at home. A Safari was another dream I've ticked off of my list :D

As for the future... I want to visit Greece, climb Machu Picchu, visit America again and go to Yellowstone National Park, visit Canada, go to Kyoto Gardens in Japan and many many more :D

I've been abroad quite a few times but not to a large variety of places. I've been to Spain around 10 times now and I've been to the Canary Islands twice (Lanzarote and Gran Canaria).

I've also been to Bulgaria which is beautiful (and OMG was it cheap my parents were getting pints of lager for 30p).

My most recent expedition was to NYC which I'd really like to visit again.

As for locations for the future I'd really like to travel around quite a few places in Europe. I want to visit France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland and Italy.

Outside Europe I'd like to go to Australia, Japan and South Korea just out of sheer interest, I'd like to go to Brazil during the Rio carnival and I'd like the go several places in America (Boston, Miami, Orlando, Chicago, Washington DC, San Fran, LA, Las Vegas, San Diego and Seattle) and Canada is also on my bucket list as it looks so beautiful :)

Hopefully while travelling I'm hoping I meet some Charmsians :)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Knowing my heritage, it's probably no surprise that I've been to China at least four times already in my life: twice when I was five (it was two months apart, the first time to meet my grandfather and the second time to attend his funeral), once when I was 10 for my other grandfather's birthday, and once last year. I really don't plan to go back because of how rude people were and the fact our phone was stolen last time, but I'm hoping I can at least visit Taiwan sometime.

I've also been in Canada, France, Italy, Switzerland, and (if it counts) Vatican City. I pretty much loved France and Italy, minus the times our stuff almost got stolen, but I would never go back to Vatican City. I had nowhere to sit, the people would make me stand up when I was tired, and where there were places to sit it was only for people attending whatever as going on at the moment. I mean, I understand, but at least lend someone with a brace on their knee a hand?

Within the US, I went back to Hawaii a few years back to visit my birthplace. Apparently, our old house was demolished and replaced by one of our old neighbor's new homes, and my dad's professor had moved to California, but it was still really fun despite how expensive everything was. XD I've also been in DC twice, once in time for Independence Day and once for a summer camp, and Oklahoma several times. We've been to a lot of states, but these few stand out to me particularly.

My parents plan to take me to the UK and some other parts of Europe some other time, and my friends are planning to visit Japan when we've all graduated college and saved up enough points/money to go. I guess outside of these places, I also really want to go to Spain, Russia, Australia, and maybe some places in Africa and South or Latin America. ♥ Yeah, we go out a lot XD

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Let's see, Within America I've been to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, Colorado, and Utah.

Outside the US, I've been to Canada and Bimini.

As for other places to go, I just want to go everywhere! I want to see every inch of this amazing planet. My primary goals though are to visit the remaining 27 states that I haven't been to, Australia, and Japan.

I would love to go back to Florida and Bimini for their beautiful climate and of course their oceans. The only place I've been to that I never want to see again is Montreal.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Reading this I'm slightly jealous of how much you guys have got around. xD

I've never been outside of the UK before (partly because mum has a fear of flying and partly because we have no one willing to take on the animals for a bit), but I've travelled all over the UK in my life. I'm fonder of the north than the south, but there are pretty places all over this island. ^^

As for where I'd like to go...I'd like to visit Japan and no, not for the anime and Pokémon. :p I'd also really like to visit Canada one day too, because it's a very pretty and green place, which I really like. Just maybeee won't visit in the winter. :)