• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Global Link: First Impressions

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Topic says all. What are your first impressions of the Global Link?

Personally, I'm somewhat disappointed in the service that's being provided. I think conceptually it's a great addition to the games and I found it quite fun while using it, but actually using it was quite annoying. Yesterday evening I tucked in a Pokemon to use in the Dream World, but since nothing was processing I gave up and did something else. This morning, around 6 AM Atlantic time, I tried the Dream World... and even at that time the lag was pretty bad (every action took at least 15 seconds or more loading time). Considering 6 AM my time means most American gamers are sleeping, you'd expect it to run fairly well, right? Instead the entire site ended up crashing 20 minutes later. Couldn't get back on after trying for an hour, so I gave up.

I'm not really sure what to think now, but for something that's so time sensitive (1 hour per day and all) I really hope that they'll manage to stabilize the site somehow. This should be fun, but instead it's just turning into a laggy headache. Nintendo isn't poor, so there's really no excuse for their site to be running poorly during down times.

But enough of my grumblings. What did you guys think of it? :)

Well, right now, I am tucking in a Darumaka. The saving is taking forever! However, the animation in the background is quite nice. I like the effect of the stars twinkling. Later today, as soon as I get my ID, I'll update my Pokemon.com account and connect to the Dream World.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
After I actually managed to get on, I quite enjoyed it~

Thunderdog took ages to start dreaming, and I will admit that after half an hour of looking at that 'processing game data' screen I wandered off. By the time I finally got online, it had just gone midnight, which annoyed me because that means I now can't go back for all of today <<

I was a bit annoyed that it only let me bring back one Pokemon - I was under the impression you could befriend loads of Pokemon in one visit. Or maybe you can and I just did it wrong :V

I didn't find the loading time to be a problem, it took a couple of seconds if that to load most pages. After visiting the Dream Island place, or whatever it was called, I didn't really have anything to do, aside from plant a couple of berries. According to my profile thingy, I have two friends - which I think are Katie and KoL, although what I'm supposed to do with that information, I have no idea XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
I didn't find the loading time to be a problem, it took a couple of seconds if that to load most pages. After visiting the Dream Island place, or whatever it was called, I didn't really have anything to do, aside from plant a couple of berries. According to my profile thingy, I have two friends - which I think are Katie and KoL, although what I'm supposed to do with that information, I have no idea XD

Apparently you can visit the Dream World homes of your friends and trade items with them, but I'm still not sure how. When I played I had no friends listed, and I'd like to know how to register more. XD

I had somebody called Santiago888 from Italy. I have no idea who he or she is.

Well, I finally did get on. I befriended an Igglybuff with Friend Guard and a Shinx with Magnet Rise and Guts. I kept the Shinx, as I can see more uses for it. As soon as I get it to Luxray (so I don't lose Magnet Rise while walking around while it is in the Daycare) I'm breeding a ton of those kitties.

As for the experience itself, it was fun. I enjoyed walking around, playing the minigames to befriend Pokemon. The ice cream scoop game was surprisingly hard. The way I won was to make a giant first scoop and top it with one tiny one. The animation was very nice to look at, and decently smooth for an internet game.

I decided to customize my game afterwards. I tried to download the Munna song and the Starters 'Dex skin, but when I hooked up to Game Sync and checked out the Musical, they weren't there.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
Apparently you can visit the Dream World homes of your friends and trade items with them, but I'm still not sure how. When I played I had no friends listed, and I'd like to know how to register more. XD

I had no friends either when I was actually in the Dream World, but once I'd come off I had you and KoL listed. I'll see if I can visit your homes tonight XD

I quite enjoyed the mini games too. The only thing I really want from the Dream World at the moment is Gligar, but I need loooooooooads of points before his area opens up x___x

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite enjoyed it. I found the loading times and lagging irritating to say in the least, but thought that the dream world was quite fun. It's weird that it only lets you take one Pokemon, and I was hoping you could get more. For some reason, I can't find Shinx in that Entralink-forest place.
EDIT: I found out why it wasn't working - my Pokemon was still asleep :>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alright, second impressions were much better. I wish my berries were growing faster, but I was able to go through the Dream World properly today and take a Pokemon back with me. Finally figured out how not to suck at the ice cream scoop game, too, which is a bonus. :'D

I still don't understand the Dream Pals thing. It sounds like it's completely random, and the only way to add new people is to have your privacy options set to being less private. There's an obvious flaw with that mentality if it's true. Kinda pointless to have privacy options at all if they're just hindering the gaming experience.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My privacy setting is the middle option, which I think is 'just friends'. I think you can only visit the Dream World houses of Pal Pad registered friends. Now, while my game remembers that I traded with both you and KoL, my friend code changed and my Pal Pad got wiped when I registered White on my 3DS. Easy way to test this would of course be for me to trade/connect with one of you again so that you are in my Pal Pad. Then we'll see if it makes a difference~

My experience last night went very smoothly. It let me on straight away and there were no problems with loading. I quite enjoyed it, although I'm still slightly annoyed that it seems to be one Pokemon at a time.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Just caught Inner Focus Kangaskhan from DW today. The whole thing works OK, it just takes a while to get used to.

...oh, and don't take gigantic Pokemon (like legendaries) with you to the Dream World unless you want them practically smothering the entire screen. I wasn't aware Kyurem was even that big.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
My privacy setting is the middle option, which I think is 'just friends'. I think you can only visit the Dream World houses of Pal Pad registered friends.

From what I can tell, they're different things. I have a big list of my Pal Pad friends, but my Dream World Pals list is empty. I also have my privacy on the "friends only" option, but Fennel's explanation made it sound like you'll only encounter people to add as Dream World friends on the "Everyone" privacy option. That's been my experience at least. I'd really like to know if I can manually make my Pal Pad friends my Dream World friends too, and if so - how?

Linkachu said:
Silver Magpie said:
My privacy setting is the middle option, which I think is 'just friends'. I think you can only visit the Dream World houses of Pal Pad registered friends.

From what I can tell, they're different things. I have a big list of my Pal Pad friends, but my Dream World Pals list is empty. I also have my privacy on the "friends only" option, but Fennel's explanation made it sound like you'll only encounter people to add as Dream World friends on the "Everyone" privacy option. That's been my experience at least. I'd really like to know if I can manually make my Pal Pad friends my Dream World friends too, and if so - how?

Your pal pad friends get automatically added after a while.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
If you're online later tonight Katie, it might be worth testing. I was planning on updating the Dream World Wiki pages, so I'd like to know what needs to be done in order to write about it. If we connect (if you have any Pokemon that need IVs checking etc we could do that) and then I'll see if anything changes. I hate not knowing stuffs :V

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
I hate not knowing stuffs :V

I hear you on that one. I'd also like to see that page updated, but I still don't feel confident enough to do so. There are many questions I still have concerning the Dream World.. =o

If you're online later tonight Katie, it might be worth testing. I was planning on updating the Dream World Wiki pages, so I'd like to know what needs to be done in order to write about it. If we connect (if you have any Pokemon that need IVs checking etc we could do that) and then I'll see if anything changes.

Sounds good, Magpie. We'll try that and see what happens. :)

Well, the second day experience is good. My berries are growing, I swapped with some person from Japan, and I got a Tangela with Regenerator. I'm going to have a fun time breeding. XD

On another note, I finally found that dang Finneon. Those 'find a Pokemon' games are more difficult then they appear.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Katie and I traded, but nothing has changed. It may just not have updated though, as it does say 'make take a while to sync up' all over the place, so here's hoping :D

I now have my Dream World time at a much better hour too. 1AM was just a bit much :V

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
Katie and I traded, but nothing has changed. It may just not have updated though, as it does say 'make take a while to sync up' all over the place, so here's hoping :D

I've finally changed my privacy settings to 'everyone', so I'll see if anything changes.

I like that you can go back through an area multiple times before accepting a Pokemon to take to the Entralink. It allows you to play more games and boost your Dream Points quicker. :D

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Secad said:
Well, the second day experience is good. My berries are growing, I swapped with some person from Japan, and I got a Tangela with Regenerator. I'm going to have a fun time breeding. XD

On another note, I finally found that dang Finneon. Those 'find a Pokemon' games are more difficult then they appear.

They're actually quite easy once you've worked out how they work. Keep moving forward until you come to a crossroads - pick a direction and then 'listen carefully'. If you don't hear anything, just go back the other way. Keep going until you pick up the item the Pokemon's lost, and then check the locations either side of it (just click around) and you'll find the Pokemon.

I was extremely lucky earlier and managed to find Finneon and its item after only two moves forward. This is the real factor in how well you do in the game, really. You just need the luck of the draw for where the Pokemon is placed.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Hmkay, so about 24 hours later, Katie has now been upgraded from a Trade Pal to a Friend... however I still can't see her house. I can just see a random stranger's house. Four random people have visited me, two of which want to be my Dream Pals... is just finding Katie's house so much to ask :V

Enjoyed playing the mini-games today for points though~

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Silver Magpie said:
... is just finding Katie's house so much to ask :V

Apparently it is. :p

I still can't stalk any of you guys, but I've found myself a few random people to befriend. At least it gives me something extra to do once I've finished choosing which Pokemon I'd like, but I was only able to water one person's berries. Everyone else had beat me to it. >=O