• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Get the popcorn!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
What was the last film you saw at the cinema and what did you think? Did it live up to your expectations? Was it worth going out to see or do you now wish you'd waited for it to come out on DVD? Is there anything you are looking forward to seeing in the near future? Just try not to spoil anything plot-wise unless you put them inside spoiler tags first 8)

KoL and I saw Despicable Me 2 this week and it was amazing. Go watch it if you haven't seen it. Right now. Those minions ♥ Any scene with those guys in was just automatically funny. Probably should go and find myself a copy of Despicable Me now though, as I've never seen the original xD Also rather enjoyed the cheesy nachos and hotdog goodness that accompanied the trip :)

There are quite a few on my 'to see' list currently:

~ World War Z
~ Pacific Rim
~ Monsters University

Let's see... the recent films I've seen in theaters are Man of Steel and The Hangover part 3. Man of Steel is... okay. Personally I enjoyed the Avengers better but that's just because I'm more of a comedy sort of man. There was this really dramatic part that my best friend ruined by standing up and shouting YES at. As far as The Hangover part 3, that film was hilarious. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was mine, and I'm a sucker for an adventure with bros, which I was having one with my bros anyway~

As far as things I currently want to see:

Despicable Me 2
Monsters University

And my friends and I are going to see Pacific Rim tomorrow~ Personally I don't think I'll like it too much but like I said, I love adventures with my bros, and we'll have to go to the capital just to see it because our theater doesn't want to show it.

I did see Despicable Me 2, and I do agree that it was hilarious. Also saw Monsters University, which was a very interesting prequel. They show a few of the characters from Monsters, Inc. besides Sully and Mike, and it was great to see how their relationships with these characters were established.

World War Z, Man of Steel, and Pacific Rim are all on my list as well, but I'm really excited for some movies coming out later this year, such as:

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

Thor 2: The Dark World

The Hobbit 2: The Desolation of Smaug

Also, for 2014, I already know that movies for two of my favorite books, The Maze Runner and Divergent, are coming out! Can't wait!

I'm excited to see Monsters University. Apparently it isn't a top-tier Pixar film, which is disappointing. Still, it should be interesting to see some Inc. characters in their younger years, and maybe I'll enjoy the film more than the reviewers did.

I'm also looking forward to The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. An Unexpected Journey's lack of focus on Bilbo was disappointing, and it looks like that will continue. Still, it was a pretty good adaptation and I enjoyed some of the additions, such as Radagast.

I'd also like to give a special mention to a film that I will absolutely under no circumstances be seeing - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. I don't care how much it tries to be faithful to the book, it cannot undo the utter mess that was Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief. Had it been a standalone film, it would have been decent, but as an adaptation it was absolutely abysmal.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Last night, we went to see a triple bill of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End.

I'd never actually seen Shaun of the Dead before, so watching it on a cinema screen was pretty cool. You don't often get a chance to catch a movie in the cinema for the first time years later.

The World's End is probably the most bizarre of the three movies. It doesn't get into the aliens part of it for a good, looong chunk of the movie - and despite what's going on, it's still very much about the pub crawl itself. It's probably the most humanistic sci-fi movie ever made. The ending definitely catches you out - and more than either Shaun or Hot Fuzz, would be rife for a sequel - but it is, overall, a great movie.

Next up is The Wolverine. Really looking forward to that one.

Toastie said:
I'd also like to give a special mention to a film that I will absolutely under no circumstances be seeing - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. I don't care how much it tries to be faithful to the book, it cannot undo the utter mess that was Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief. Had it been a standalone film, it would have been decent, but as an adaptation it was absolutely abysmal.

Yes, it was pretty bad; however, it was not as bad as, say, I Am Number Four or Eragon(especially Eragon). They wouldn't have been decent as standalone movies, but since they were adapted from books, they were downright awful. I'm seeing Sea of Monsters because The Lightning Thief wasn't that terrible and because they are being way more faithful to the book(blond Annabeth, Kronos rising, Clarisse, Dionysus, the Oracle, the pine tree, etc.) this time around, so I decided I would give it a shot.

By the way, since I mentioned Catching Fire, I might as well put this here(spoilers for The Hunger Games follow):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/20/hunger-games-catching-fire-trailer_n_3629481.html

This is the new Catching Fire trailer, if you're interested and haven't seen it.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Toastie said:
I'd also like to give a special mention to a film that I will absolutely under no circumstances be seeing - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

I'm with you on this Toastie, 100%! My reason for not seeing it though is the rape of all and any mythology it comes into contact with! <<

I saw Pacific Rim with Aeo on Tuesday and HOLY HELL IT WAS AMAZING. I don't care that it was predicatble, cheesy and a bit daft in places, the mecha (Jaegers)/Kaiju (Alien) battles were fantastic. It looked super nice and shiny in IMAX 3D, and maybe more importantly it advertised Jurassic Park 3D coming out in August. *Insert happy squee here*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Magpie said:
I saw Pacific Rim with Aeo on Tuesday and HOLY HELL IT WAS AMAZING. I don't care that it was predicatble, cheesy and a bit daft in places, the mecha (Jaegers)/Kaiju (Alien) battles were fantastic.

That was the last movie that I watched in theaters too, and my thoughts exactly! Some of the acting and dialogue made me want to facepalm but I really dug those Jaegers and Kaiju (especially the flying Kaiju ♥). The synchronizing between the two Jaeger pilots was fun conceptually too. Overall I enjoyed the film but definitely recommend the big screen experience for it. I doubt it'll have anywhere near the same impact on a smaller TV screen.

(Other stuff that I've watched lately includes the Lone Ranger, Despicable Me 2, and Monsters University. Despicable Me 2 & Monsters University were both enjoyable but not as good as their originals, and I don't fully understand the hate towards the Lone Ranger because I really enjoyed it. ~:)~)

Next up for me will likely be Elysium. It looks like it could be pretty nifty so hopefully it lives up to its potential.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
Overall I enjoyed the film but definitely recommend the big screen experience for it. I doubt it'll have anywhere near the same impact on a smaller TV screen.

I'd agree to that, it was worth seeing purely for the impact in the cinema... it's the sort of film that 3D/IMAX is made for.

I saw Wolverine last night with my best friend and it was actually pretty good. I didn't expect much from it but it was a decent film and I enjoyed it. Although I think I'd have enjoyed it more if the two girls sat next to me hadn't been massive Hugh Jackman fangirls that squeed at him all the time :?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
My recent outing to a movie theater ended up being a pleasant surprise. A friend had asked me to see The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones with her, which was fine because I'd been somewhat interested in the movie too. However, when we arrived at the theater we were told that the movie was no longer playing, its last showing had been the night before, so we had to decide on the spot what to see instead. We decided to go with The World's End and definitely did not regret the choice. :up:

Excellent comedy. Had me laughing like an idiot for half the film. It's not quite the sort of thing that I'd rush out purchase on home video but I'd very happily rewatch it with some friends. Best way to enjoy it. ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Excellent comedy. Had me laughing like an idiot for half the film. It's not quite the sort of thing that I'd rush out purchase on home video but I'd very happily rewatch it with some friends. Best way to enjoy it. ^^
This is totally what we should do should a 'Charms staff meet up ever occur! :D

@King of Lucario and I saw Jurassic Park 3D the other day in all its IMAX glory and it was sooooooo good. Always been one of my favourite movies and it was a fantastic experience seeing it again on the big screen. The 3D effects were done very well to say how old the footage is and the dinosaurs look just as good as anything CGI could produce today.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The most recent film I saw was Monsters University, only a couple of weeks ago because my local cinema had broken air conditioning for several weeks during the hottest part of the summer :-O. It was better than I expected for the prequel to Monsters Inc, given how amazing that movie is. But what I really enjoyed was the short film before it. I've always enjoyed Pixar's shorts, but this one, called The Blue Umbrella, was clearly inspired by the "Hello Little Fella" group on Flickr. I happen to have a real "thing" about pareidolia and see faces in all sorts of inanimate objects (e.g. every American plug socket in existence - if I lived in the US I would be constantly saying hello to the little fellas), so a short film about it was just splendid :angel:.

Found a new trailer for The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Here it is:

Honestly, I like this trailer much better then the last one. A little longer, with more dialogue and a little less action(although there is still plenty of that). I think my favorite part was when the dragon talked. :o Because anything with a talking, intelligent dragon(anything not made for children, that is) is much more epic. :D

As a side note, I finally watched World War Z. Honestly, it far surpassed my expectations. I expected a couple hours of the military mowing down the undead, and while there was some of that, there's so much more that I liked. The boy, the supermarket scene, that woman(do not remember her name) who was with the main character, the plane scene(I was expecting it, but it was still a bit terrifying) and everything that happened at the W.H.O. I'm glad I watched this!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Saw Thor: The Dark World last week and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire yesterday. I'd already expected to enjoy both sequels but they both surpassed my expectations too (Thor's ending was brilliant XD). Good movies if you're interested in those genres. :)

Next up for me is likely to be Frozen and then The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I'm also somewhat interested in seeing Saving Mr. Banks, The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, and maaaybe 47 Ronin. It could either be very fun or very terrible. xp

I saw The Hunger Games: Catching Fire last weekend. I knew that I would like it the most because "Catching Fire" was my favorite book out of the three, and I was definitely correct. In fact, it even surpassed any expectations about it. First off, no more shaky camera, with the result being breathtaking scenes in the arena. I definitely loved how they were able to cut things out, but still made it fit and progress together so perfectly. Also loved the little things that they added, like Snow's granddaughter. Excellent movie, loved it far more than the first.

As for what's next, we'll be seeing Frozen in a couple days, and then it's Thor: The Dark World and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on my list. There's a few others that interest me, but I am not sure if I will see them in theatres as of today.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I saw Thor: The Dark World too with my friends from work and we all really enjoyed it, it was just good fun and made for good viewing after chowing down on an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet :D

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is probably next on my list, my family is planning on having it as our Chrsitmas movie this year, so we'll see it on Christmas Eve :') Benedict Cumberbatch's voice as a dragon is made of sexy.

I saw Thor: The Dark World last week, and I enjoyed it with a HEAVY bag of Milk Chocolate M&Ms. I also saw Hunger Games: Catching Fire Sunday, and IT WAS AMAZING! So much better than Hunger Games.

The next movies on my list would be Frozen, Divergent, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. A new Disney movie means a review for me. I've read the Divergent series, and the movie should be equally good. The only reason I'm interested in the Walter Mitty movie is because it has my favorite actor in it, Ben Stiller. Cheap, I know, but that's me. :D

Like I said above, me and my family saw Frozen yesterday. It surpassed my expectations, and in fact, it was one of the best Disney movies I've seen in a while. First off, I liked Anna. She had just the right amount of craziness/weirdness that I enjoyed. Then, there's the story, which I thought was pretty cool. I like how they deviated from typical Disney princess movies in some ways, although there was one reveal where I was just like:

"....wut. O.o"

It felt very odd, like they needed to throw in an unexpected villain at the last second, and also reinforce the idea that people don't fall in love instantly, at leave not true love, anyway. I didn't really like it, but oh well. The rest was very good.

I must note that my favorite character was Olaf. That. Snowman. Killed. Me. XD

From being blissfully unaware about what summer does to snowmen, to being happy about being impaled, I just could not stop laughing. He brightened up the whole movie!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Cumberbatch as Smaug. Cumberbatch as Smaug

Anyway, moving swiftly on…

Today I think I'm seeing Anchorman 2 and I'm not sure what to think about that. I've not seen the first one as weirdly I'm not the sort of person who often watches comedies in the cinema unless it's one I have invested interest in, like Jackass, or American Pie, or stuff that's funny but still has a cute story, like pixar stuffs :) Doesn't help that I have a long-standing dislike of Will Ferrell (don't hurt me, I'm sorry!). I'm much more of a 'stuff needs to blow up' kind of gal when it comes to films. We shall see how this movie experience goes, but I'm not holding my breath :V

Last week and I saw Frozen, & it was BETTER than I thought it was going to be. When I first saw the promos, I thought it would be one of those bland, corny generic films; however, this film was about as good as the Disney films from the 90s. The story was good, the characters were lovable & memorable, & the songs are still stuck in my head. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't the best movie ever, but this clearly Disney at its finest again (maybe even entering a second Renaissance) & I hope we see more like this

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
For the record. Anchorman 2. No. Just no.

Not my sort of film. Although, in my defence, the guy I saw it with (the avid original Anchorman fan) didn't think much of it either >_<

Sunday I saw Catching Fire and found it to have been extremely well done. The emotion and intensity was beautifully performed and it was nearly spot on to the book (from what I can remember of the book, it's been around two years since I've read it).
Can't wait to get the DVD...or heck maybe Blu Ray since I received a PS3 for Christmas last year.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
The Lego Movie ♥

I can't express how amazing I thought it was. I went in not expecting all that much, purely because I know people who've been and said it's okay but nothing special. Or more for kids. But oh my goodness did I enjoy it! Plus as soon as this creature appeared...

Uni-Kitty.png

... full of rainbows and flowers, my boyfriend burst out laughing and said she reminded him of me: thus everything she said in the movie from that point on was super funny. And to be fair, much as the pink-ness should irk me, I don't care because actually I can totally see it xD

Planning to see the new Miyazaki film, and in August (in the US) I really want to see the movie based of the book The Giver, but dang that book made me cry so much (it was still a great book)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Saw the back-to-back, one off showing of 300 and 300: Rise of an Empire on Thursday night in IMAX 3D and words cannot describe the awesome my eyes bore witness to. It was super cool to see the original on the big screen again, especially since its soundtrack is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. And then ten minute later the new 300: Rise of an Empire started and goodness me was that film made to perfection for the IMAX. Those blood splats ♥

The scene near the beginning when they're fighting in the rain. Most beautiful scene ever. I don't think I could say it was a good as the first 300, purely because of how iconic 300 has become, but it was so good! So very good.

I'm watching Blade Runner (director's cut) for an art history paper, & while it's a good noir film I'm shocked & surprised how this film quickly goes to the kind of creepy you find in movies like "The Exorcist" or "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

I saw Iron Man 2 and the movie was pretty good! I think it's the last Iron Man movie though... (which is sad because he's like my fav Marvel character next to Spiderman).... I really wanted to see Evangelion: You Can(not) Redo, but it was only in select theaters that were 5 hours away from where I lived. I might get it on DVD, since its now available. :3 I also saw Monsters University, and it was great (like all Disney movies). They both lived up to my expectations. ' u '
What I wanna see/ get on DVD:

• Evangelion: You Can(not) Redo
  • Some new anime movie in theaters but I forget its name. Its by the people who made Ponyo and Spirited Away
  • The Giver movie I've heard about at school

Planning to see the new Miyazaki film, and in August (in the US) I really want to see the movie based of the book The Giver, but dang that book made me cry so much (it was still a great book)
Wait... you mean like an anime movie based off The Giver?? Because that's like my favorite book ever! I heard Taylor Swift was going to be Rosemary

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw Muppets Most Wanted today, and it was absolutely amazing, and (please don't get angry at me) much better than the first one because:
  • lots of my favorite Hollywood actors/cameos
  • entertaining/funny songs
  • random stuff (a.k.a Gonzo)
  • more muppet-centered - less humans (spoiler zone ahead)
  • 2 Kermits/who's who confusion scenario
  • Kermit-Piggy shipping
  • Bombs (and lots of them)
The list would go on and on, but I'm running out of space >_<

Last edited:
Recently saw Mr Peabody and Sherman with my brothers a couple days ago. Wanting to see Catching Fire; it seems good compared to the previous Hunger Games movie.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
After hearing positive reviews about it from my friends for a while, I finally watched The Lego Movie. At first I was thoroughly confused why people thought it was so great; I mean, it was cute, but I didn't really find it particularly funny except in one or two cases. Then I saw the ending, and my gosh, that pretty much made the whole movie for me.

Also Unikitty. I freaking love Unikitty. She is definitely my favorite character in the whole movie, hands down.

Might as well also mention I got the Frozen DVD after having watched it with my bestie a couple of months ago. It's not open yet but I am so excited to rewatch the movie again ♥

After hearing positive reviews about it from my friends for a while, I finally watched The Lego Movie. At first I was thoroughly confused why people thought it was so great; I mean, it was cute, but I didn't really find it particularly funny except in one or two cases. Then I saw the ending, and my gosh, that pretty much made the whole movie for me.

Also Unikitty. I freaking love Unikitty. She is definitely my favorite character in the whole movie, hands down.

Might as well also mention I got the Frozen DVD after having watched it with my bestie a couple of months ago. It's not open yet but I am so excited to rewatch the movie again ♥
But...wait... Back here in Australia, the Lego Movie came out April 3rd... America gets all the good stuff!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The two most recent movies that I've watched are Rio 2 and the Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Rio 2 was quite nice and didn't come off feeling like a cashcow sequel, so that was muchly appreciated. I had a lot of fun watching it and visually it was very pretty. :)

As for the Amazing Spider-Man 2, I left the theater feeling great. I personally really, really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who liked the first Amazing Spider-Man movie.
It seems that the major gripe people have had with the film is the same issue that I noticed myself fairly early on. The movie focuses on multiple different plot lines and characters and for the longest time nothing seems to connect up. It's not until the climax that all of these various plots and characters finally diverge. Personally, while it was a bit confusing at first, I liked how it ended up. There were no loose ends and everything made sense. To a degree it was almost ingenious how all of the seemingly separate pieces fell together to form the whole. Sure, there was likely still too much going on for a single movie and it was never entirely clear if it wanted to be an action movie or a romance flick but this wasn't a confusion for me. I viewed the movie as being both, and it worked.

Could ramble further but lacking in brain power.
tl;dr I really liked it.

I recently saw Moms' night out with my mom, on a whim cause it was the only thing showing, and boy were we surprised! The movie was drop dead hilarious, every joke at least got a giggle, some got roaring laughter from the entire theater. This movie has flawless comedic timing and as crazy as the situations get, the movie is still relatable, somehow. It even manages to include a touching message that feels completely natural. Finally, the movie manages to avoid any dirty humor or even any foul language! I loved it, though I definitely recommend seeing it with your mom.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I watched Divergent today and I have to say, I was rather pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching it. This is the first time where I watched a movie before having read the book, if the book exists and was written before the movie, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked it, and I'm most likely going to read the book now along with the rest of the series. My friend tells me it followed the book pretty well overall, so I hope I'm not disappointed XD

I watched Divergent today and I have to say, I was rather pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed watching it. This is the first time where I watched a movie before having read the book, if the book exists and was written before the movie, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked it, and I'm most likely going to read the book now along with the rest of the series. My friend tells me it followed the book pretty well overall, so I hope I'm not disappointed XD

Ah, Divergent. I have not yet seen the movie, due to time constraints, but I have heard mixed reviews about it. I'm glad to know that it follows the book well and is actually a good movie, because I was contemplating skipping it entirely, due to the aforementioned reviews.

Now, I've read all 3 books, so I can tell you that Divergent is great trilogy overall. The first book is excellent, and the second book is decent, although not as good as the first. A word of warning, though: do not get your hopes too high for the last book. It is kind of a let down, and even though it isn't terrible, I, along with many of the fans, have several issues with this book. In fact, the fans are kind of split almost in half on whether or not this book was good or bad.

Still, you should find the series enjoyable if you liked the movie(and besides, how many satisfying endings to trilogies do you come across nowadays?). I hope it is to your liking!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Seeing Godzilla tonight. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews from friends but I'm really hopeful that I'll enjoy it. I'm not fussed about it having a strong story, when it's a Godzilla film I just want an epic reveal build-up and some badass dramatic music. Maybe an explosion or two. And from the guy who made Pacific Rim? I don't think I'll be disappointed :D

Last movie I went to see was Godzilla, I liked it. The story went deeper then I thought it would to be honest. And the king of monsters looks splendid. They really nailed the musculature and the movement. Enemy monsters were a bit dull but still worked out.

Just saw Maleficent. Basically, it met my expectations...but that is not necessarily a good thing, considering that my expectations were formed based on movies like the 2010 Alice in Wonderland, Oz the Great & Powerful, and Snow White & the Huntsman. Basically, they changed some things in the story, had modernized effects, and told a different tale then the original, but did so in a very...uneven manner.

Without giving anything away, I can say that while I liked Angelina Jolie's performance as Maleficent, and a few other actors' character portrayals, some of the characters were rather irksome in various ways. Some were shown as idiotic or "super evil," and some were just plot devices and nothing else, with flimsy explanations given as to why they were even involved in the first place.

I think I would give this movie a 7.5/10. It is not a bad movie; but it isn't amazing.

EDIT: As Imelda Staunton is playing one of the fairies in this movie, when she says "Now, see here!" and waggles her finger, I immediately picture her in pink.:D

Last edited: