• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Vocaloid Discussion Thread

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
The utaumite Japanese Voice Synthesizer has appeared!
So, as I've seen throughout 'Charms, just as people like anime, many people like Vocaloid as well, and discuss it in their own private groups, so I decided to bring it here, to one big Vocaloid thread. Discuss your hearts potential of Vocaloid music here, get recommendations for new songs, and find a new Vocaloid character you can enjoy~!
P.S- I am not responsible for any "armblading" in this thread.
---
My favorite Vocaloid has to be the Eggplant, Gakupo due to his voice. I don't like most of his original songs, such as the Duke of Vermonia, but I love his covers for other songs~My recommendations are Kokoro, (Experience the feels man), Witch Hunt and Bad End Night.

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Favorite Vocaloid... hm, most people who know me would say Len, but that's not quite the case. He's my second favorite, though ;D Favorite will have to be Luo Tianyi, almost certainly because of language bias (also her design is adorable. Google it. So cute!)

Favorite Vocaloid song will have to be Servant of Evil (Mothy ft. Len), Six Trillion Years and Overnight Story (Kemu ft. IA), and Summertime Record (Jin ft. IA)

And I have so many Vocaloid Song Series recommendations but I don't want to oversaturate the thread with my fangirling sob. But seriously, go check out KagePro. You won't regret it. Promise.

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Supersaturate until you can't saturate any more @Kyubeon! Let your inner fangirl go wild! D:< Hell, I'm surprised you didn't start this topic.

My three favorite Vocaloids are Miku, Gumi, and Kaito in that order. Miku and Gumi rank as my top two because, aside from having a lot of good solo songs, they duet really well together. In fact my favorite and third favorite songs are Matryoshka and The Fox's Wedding respectively, both duets of Miku and Gumi. I constructed a Matryoshka hoody for cosplay and everyday use purposes and learning the dance is on my To Do List. Both of those songs got a reaction from my weirdness sensor which, given my nature, doesn't go off much hence why I'm so drawn to them. My second favorite Vocaloid song is Imperial Parade by Kaito (I am totally learning that dance and getting that cosplay when I become Emperor of the world). There used to be a really well choreographed Code Geass MMD to Imperial Parade but sadly it has since been taken down. ;_; It also happens to be my only favorite that I have never seen English Subs for.

Honorable mention goes to all of the Halloween Vocaloid songs since Halloween is my favorite holiday. That includes the Night Series just because. Most of the Halloween songs are Rin and Len's doing but a few are done by Gumi.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
@Psycho Monkey if I started the topic I likely would've been kicked off 'Charms... for good. ;D (or armbladed to death. Yep.)

Matryoshka is/was extremely popular in the fandom, almost precisely due to how strange it is and also because it was released on Miku's birthday iirc (and Hachi, the producer, was rather well-known at the time too). I love covering the song myself because it's in my vocal range and I love the art style ♥

Speaking of Hachi, lots of other popular Hachi songs exist like Panda Hero, Donut Hole, and Lynne. They're all really good songs, though I still love Matryoshka the best ♥

Also since @AzureEdge mentioned Bad ∞ End ∞ Night, pleasepleasePLEASE check out the rest of the songs in the series! My personal favorite is Crazy ∞ nighT, though EveR ∞ LastingG ∞ NighT is also really good and easily my second favorite~ Twilight ∞ nighT isn't as good imo, but most people still like it regardless.

Actually, most songs by Hitoshizuku-P are really good; if you liked Bad ∞ End ∞ Night you should check out her other songs as well! Her first few songs sound rather robotic but they're still very nice songs regardless (I recommend Valshe's cover of Soundless Voice and the Wotamin version of Proof of Life, as examples). She's also known for the Synchronicity series, and just... wow. I really, REALLY love the music for Paradise of Light and Shadows, and don't even get me started on Requiem of the Spinning World. Ahhhh, so beautiful <3333

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
Heck, most Vocaloid songs sounded robotic back when when V1 came out. I really didn't know about Vocaloid till V3 came out, or something like that.
I loved the Bad End Night series, it's one of my favorite series of songs, and still, I don't think any series to compare. (Honeyworks could, but it's still new)
Nowadays, there's a lot of good English covers to go with Vocaloid songs, (And Vocaloids covering modern days songs!) but it's thanks to artists like @Kyubeon~, so there isn't the option of just Japanese.
I have a bit of Vocaloid merch myself, a bit more than my anime stuff, and a bit less than my tales. I'll take a picture of it sooner or later just to show it. (Sadly, Gakupo merch is nowhere to be found.)
---
@Psycho Monkey this thread had to start later, it was about time. XD (I'll get armbladed sooner or later)

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I still find a lot of the English covers a bit robotic, but that's because English is a lot harder to do this kind of stuff than Japanese is. Japanese has far fewer phonemes than English does, which makes it a lot easier to make Vocaloid voices in Japanese.

Even early V2 days were extremely robotic; it was only around late 2008/early 2009 that Vocaloid songs started sounding more natural, and the onset of V3 definitely helped. It's one of the main reasons why people love using IA~

I actually don't have a lot of Vocaloid merch myself, but @Tailon did get me a Pop figure of Len that I still have. I love him to death eeee ♥

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Pssst for the uninitiated, there's a new anime that recently came out called Mikagura School Suite, which is based off of a Vocaloid song series under the same name! You can find a playlist of all the released songs with english subtitles here~

The series is made by Last Note, and they have many, MANY other really cool songs! They're mostly a sort of light, pop-rock feel, with one or two exceptions, and I just love their style so much! They specialize in using Gumi but they use many other Vocaloids as well.

Other songs that I love from them:
Renai Yuusha (aka Love Hero)
Setsuna Trip (aka A Momentary Trip)
Dead Line Circus (ft. Gumi, Gakupo, and Len)
Route Sphere
Hello Laughter (ft. Gumi, Rin, Miku, IA, Luka, and Lily)

There are several other songs they're well known for that I didn't include, simply because there were so many, but yeah! I highly recommend listening to Last Note (and also watch Mikagura School Suite! It's only on episode 3/4 as of the time of writing this)