• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

General Gaming Discussions

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ahh. Excellent. I was hoping they'd do something like this but I never would've imagined that Metal Sonic would be involved. Thanks for the info. :)

To the PSN+ users:

The new version of Virtua Fighter 5 is out on it for free for those who already have PSN+.

That game almost convinced me to grab PSN+ but then I saw that I can only pay for 3 months which lead me to actually buying the game.

Virtua Fighter is the series that started off 3D fighting. Games like Dead or Alive followed soon after its first release in arcade machines.

This game might be the least flashiest fighting game, while featuring some of the most in depth fighting seen in a game.
You got 12 different attack types, attacks based on stances and foot positions and other crazy stuff like that.
The lack of the visual flair and the high learning curve caused the game to be kind of underground nowadays but I really think that its worth checking out.

It also features loads of character customization compareable to Soul Calibur, but instead of making a character you can only play dress up with the existing ones. Still nice.

The game also has a very nice in-depth tutorial which is what many fighting games lack imo.

Here's a nice trailer that shows some stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC5IRaEr4a4

I'm not a fan of the series yet because I never got to play those games much but right now I'm in the mood for something exactly like this.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
That, and the fact that there are no 3DS games coming out for Europe this year.

Well, ok, NSMB2 is, but you have to buy all the levels in the game afterwards anyway, so fuck that shit too.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
That, and the fact that there are no 3DS games coming out for Europe this year.

Well, ok, NSMB2 is, but you have to buy all the levels in the game afterwards anyway, so fuck that shit too.

You mean buy extra Coin Rush levels if you feel like it...? The game is 100% complete, the DLC is just there for those who want it (the way DLC should be).

A bit surprised that you're not looking forward to Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, which is slated for October in Europe. Other games are coming out too, just not the games you personally care about.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Prof Layton game is hard to care about since it's A) Not the one I want (the crossover) and B) Not one I can play forever anyway as I'm a billion games behind.

And aside from the Inazuma Eleven game (whatever the fuck that is), there have been no other announcements from Nintendo about 3DS releases in Europe this year - just plenty of announcements that basically anything the Americans get this year, won't be here until some random point in the future.

Combined with the fact that Nintendo are releasing an improved version of the handheld I bought only a year ago at a far lower price than I paid for my 3DS, and yet it's STILL not worth the upgrade as there'll just be ANOTHER one out this time next year with the second circle pad FINALLY built into the sodding thing, and - yeah, basically Nintendo are continuing their mission to make me feel like a complete and utter moron for wasting time and money buying a 3DS last year.

Also, no B/W2 news, so it won't be out in August for sure (and God knows when it WILL be out here...) AND instead of Conquest, which despite its faults is still AN ACTUAL GAME, we get the stupid fucking Pokemon Typing thing.

Basically, the 3DS was the worst video gaming purchase I've ever made, and there's still absolutely nothing that Nintendo are doing to remedy that.

God, I hope they don't fuck up the Wii U as much as this...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
While I'm frowning at the fact that the 3DS XL is being released so soon, I can't say whether it's an upgrade or just an alternative choice. In the latter's case it's not too surprising that they'd want to get it out sooner than later because, after the DSi XL, certain people have been holding out for it. It seems like the only real changes are its size (which makes it less portable), the slightly extended battery, and a few design changes; not exactly "toss your old 3DS out the window" sorts of changes. I figure both will continue to sell depending on the buyer. Regarding the price, there's not much to be said really. Considering the outrageous price we all paid at launch, I wouldn't exactly want to see this one cost more. Nintendo already learned that lesson.

As for the 3DS game releases, I was under the impression that Europe was getting most of them before or around the same time as North America. Not trying to sound like a prick here, I'm honestly just not sure what has and hasn't been dated there yet. Which games are you specifically referring to?

As for B2W2, I'm just happy it had a mention at all (even if short trailer was short). I'd ask why Nintendo insists on restricting knowledge of the games' release date outside of Japan, but this is Nintendo. I shouldn't be too surprised.

Didnt expect the XL to come out this fast.

Thats kinda annoying. I didnt pay much for the 3DS but I would still like to have one with a bigger screen.
Size doesnt matter to me, I carry all of my stuff in a messenger bag anyways.

No 2nd circle pad is silly.
Nyco announced a nice circle pad+battery expansion for the 3DS that I was about to grab
nykoL.jpg

but with that XL announcement I might just sell my 3DS and get the XL one at some point.

Games are a factor but I honestly didnt expect any major titles in the first two years.
Still didnt get to play all the 3DS games that are out now that interest me so personally it doesnt bother me too much.

Also, Paper Mario 3DS coming soon, which is one of the major reasons why I got this thing so early.
Got it preordered already.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Linkachu said:
It seems like the only real changes are its size (which makes it less portable), the slightly extended battery, and a few design changes; not exactly "toss your old 3DS out the window" sorts of changes.

Hmm... May need to change my standpoint. Rumor has it that, due to its size, the 3DS XL may be able to play DS games in their proper resolution at the size of the DSi's screen. Considering that B2W2 in particular will be hooking up directly to the Dream Radar app (and most people don't want to play those games looking tiny as hell or with a stretched display), this will likely encourage certain people to buy a 3DS XL over the original model. For people who already own the thing, guess there may be reason to upgrade to the XL after all.

It looks like the 3DS XL's stylus is located on the side too. Might be a subtle change but hells does the stylus being on the top of my current 3DS annoy me.

Linkachu said:
It looks like the 3DS XL's stylus is located on the side too. Might be a subtle change but hells does the stylus being on the top of my current 3DS annoy me.

That doesn't bother me in the slightest I always used the original DS which had it on top so I'm more used to it and to be fair I hardly use my stylus

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Linkachu said:
Linkachu said:
It seems like the only real changes are its size (which makes it less portable), the slightly extended battery, and a few design changes; not exactly "toss your old 3DS out the window" sorts of changes.

Hmm... May need to change my standpoint. Rumor has it that, due to its size, the 3DS XL may be able to play DS games in their proper resolution at the size of the DSi's screen. Considering that B2W2 in particular will be hooking up directly to the Dream Radar app (and most people don't want to play those games looking tiny as hell or with a stretched display), this will likely encourage certain people to buy a 3DS XL over the original model. For people who already own the thing, guess there may be reason to upgrade to the XL after all.

IGN seems to be backing that rumour up with its latest comparison article. I'm afraid that the ability to play B/W2 without it looking like shit, plus the larger screen in general may unfortunately be enough to sell me on this thing.

The worst part is just knowing it'll barely be 12 months, if that, before the next version comes out with the bloody circle pad they should have put on this thing.

At least the pricing is sensible enough this time. I'd prefer a peak of £150, but maybe I can bring it down a bit with some trade ins...

I like how they mention the English price as the EU price.
Gamestop price is 200€. They are offering a trade in option for one day which would cost you 100€+your 3DS.
So you get 100€ for your 3DS which isnt too bad but not really great either.
I might do it but only if they allow me to transfer my Data from the 3DS to the 3DS XL in the store.
And they are giving out a charger if you do the trade in which saves you some more money I guess.

Playing B/W2 on my 3DS currently and it looks fine actually.

Its the same as B/W1 so just check that game out on your 3DS to see it for yourself. I dont think its too bad, I just dont like the weak backlight of the 3DS. Are they making the screen brighter?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fumanshu said:
I dont think its too bad, I just dont like the weak backlight of the 3DS. Are they making the screen brighter?

I've not heard of them making it brighter, although I've personally never had issues with the brightness. Mine's always set around the middle brightness settings.

As soon as I got my hands on a DSi XL I was sold on the idea of a larger 3DS, so now that they've confirmed this 1:1 pixel mode it's pretty much a done deal for me.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So... which of you from Europe ended up buying a 3DS XL, and how are you finding it compared to the original 3DS? I've personally got a preorder down on one of the blue models and can't wait to get it. :)

Got mine yesterday.
Its amazing.
The matte design prevents it from getting annoying fingerprints all over the place and generally feels better in your hands, cramps dont happen anymore even if you play action games for hours, the screen size is incredible and its brighter than on the launch model 3DS screens.
All of the buttons are better now, especially the D-pad isnt as crappy anymore.

Looks like the overall quality of EVERYTHING improved, except for the sound. Sound isnt loud enough imo. When I play next to my fan I cant hear stuff so well as an example. No problem in a completely quiet room.
You can see the jaggies better now but thats not an issue for me.

Also, because of the screen size being bigger, you dont lose the 3D focus as much. I heard something of improved 3D tech too but I dont know about that.

Traded mine in at gamestop. Had to pay 100€, got a charger for free, a 20€ off coupon for NSMB2 and they allowed me to take both systems home to perform a system transfer. Very cool.

Never buying a Nintendo launch handheld again when its as small as the original 3DS. The XL models are simply superior in any kind of way.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I don't have a 3DS XL (or even a 3DS), but I really, really want one. Playing with one for about five minutes in GAME was really nice, even if I only got to play one level of SM3DL, and in terms of comfort and controls it is definitely a good step up from the 3DS. The 3D for me is marginally more subtle on the XL (in SM3DL anyway) normally, but I still flinched when a Goomba jumped up in front of the screen, as it's actually -more- effective when a game is making heavy use of it. When the original 3DS came out, I said I'd wait for the XL version - and I am very glad I did.

And, well, it blows my old DS Phat (complete with dodgy, half-dead upper screen) out of the water.

In more general terms: if you've just got a DS, I'd say now is probably a good time to get a 3DS. Just going by Amazon UK, you can pick up a 3DS for £120 or a 3DS XL for £170, and the selection of games is far, far better than this time last year: my list of games I'm interested in buying is 13 titles long so far.

I have a 3DS now, but if I had the means, I would most definitely get the 3DS XL as well. The bigger screen alone is deal breaker for me. Besides two 3DSs are better than one in my case. Mind you I don't regret getting the 3DS when it first came out--I'd been waiting more than five years to get a second DS ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Teapot said:
So, for all the Wright fans that are out there:

Europe and the US are getting Ace Attorney 5.

Nice. All we need now is confirmation that the crossover game is coming too. :)

To touch on my previous topic of interest... I can has a 3DS XL now and it's a beautiful thing. It really does revitalize certain games, especially those that make good usage of 3D.

Now I've got my eyes on all of these Vita bundle packs floating around. A few of them at EBGames have been fairly good...

Edit: I bought a Vita. The system itself was on sale for $240, and I received $60 of shop gift cards as a bonus. It's a pretty system but I wish it had better game support. Give me some of those JRPGs that PSP keeps hording and I'll be good.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Bumping~

Xbox SmartGlass Released for iOS Devices

While I didn't even realize that SmartGlass was available to the public whatsoever, this latest release news intrigues me because I personally own an iPod Touch. The SmartGlass app is free to boot, so what reason does anyone have not to download it?

If you're not sure what Xbox SmartGlass is, educate yourself about it here. That being said, I can't speak on availability outside of North America (and IGN's a bit dumb for speaking generally when something is actually region specific).

I'll be giving the app a try later today after work. Has anyone else had the chance to take it for a spin yet?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Nintendo of Europe announced a fairly good deal today. Those of us who register a 3DS XL console before the 15th of January 2013 can download a free game for it from the eShop. The choices aren't half bad either.

I have no problems with my original 3DS console, but since the announcement of the Pikachu XL console being released over here I've been quite interested in one. If mum hadn't already bought me the latest Professor Layton for Christmas (and none of the other games on offer interest me) I'd happily have gone for this deal.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
Nintendo of Europe announced a fairly good deal today. Those of us who register a 3DS XL console before the 15th of January 2013 can download a free game for it from the eShop. The choices aren't half bad either.

Sounds like a nice deal for people who were already planning to get an XL. With that free daily DLC in the new Prof. Layton game it'd be the perfect title to always have available straight off your SD card too. :)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's a pity that:

A) The Pikachu 3DS XL is absolutely garish and ugly.

B) The Charizard 3DS XL will never be available anywhere, ever.

C) This offer ends about 15 days earlier than it should. Why not just run it right to the end of the month so people can actually buy one with their first pay day after Christmas? Expecting people to be able to buy one in January before pay day is kinda insane. As is expecting people to be able to get this and the Wii U for Christmas.

Then again, I guess the aim is to give out as little freebies as possible, so one can hardly blame them.

Still, it's the only way I will ever a digital download from Nintendo's stores while they insist on putting the price up to a ridiculous premium. £40 for Pokemon Rumble is sheer, utter insanity.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They might as well just release a second screen accessory for the Wii U Gamepad. It'd probably be smaller.

I also can't believe they thought that a second chance at doing this extra analogue stick thing would be a good idea to stick to the same awful design. It should be nothing but a small shell around the system and an extra analogue pad clipped over that gap underneath the buttons on the right. How hard can it be to see that?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Doctor Oak said:
I also can't believe they thought that a second chance at doing this extra analogue stick thing would be a good idea to stick to the same awful design. It should be nothing but a small shell around the system and an extra analogue pad clipped over that gap underneath the buttons on the right. How hard can it be to see that?
How would you close the system with that design?

The fact remains that the 3DS XL could never have had the second circle pad included as standard regardless, no matter how loudly the internet shouts at Nintendo about it. Think of it this way: Any future games would either feel compelled to use the second circle pad, instantly forcing all original 3DS owners to buy the Circle Pad Pro, or largely ignore it, making the inclusion completely redundant and not fixing the problem. Nintendo literally could not win once they'd released the original 3DS without the second circle pad. So we get a solution that tries to be the best of both worlds.

I also think you're missing the point by claiming it's too big - games that use the Circle Pad Pro aren't designed to be truly portable. They're just too in-depth and require too much active attention. The Circle Pad Pro mostly just emphasises that the 3DS can be used for two different purposes: One is true portable gaming, like Pokémon and Super Mario 3D Land. These sorts of games are usually simple enough not to need the second circle pad.

The other is games that are basically console games in a smaller package - games that are designed to be played at home, and are either too involved or too complicated to play effectively with distractions - the likes of Ocarina of Time, or Resident Evil: Revelations. The Circle Pad Pro targets this second category of game - in the comfort of your own home, you attach it and get a better grip and a second Circle Pad for those games that warrant it. If you go out, you leave the Circle Pad Pro behind: it isn't intended to be stuffed in a trouser pocket.

Personally, I'm going to be controversial and say I like the look of the Circle Pad Pro XL. I fully intend to buy it when it comes out if it is a reasonable price. It will improve games that warrant twin-sticks and extra shoulder buttons while also making the 3DS XL easier to hold for several-hour play sessions. The design has actually improved over the original, probably due to the larger size of the console it targets, so I'm not complaining there.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's not just about portability, it's about sheer actual use of the thing. If there's an issue at all with the Wii U Gamepad, it's the size of it. It's tall enough that the bottom buttons are inaccessible without moving your hands from the triggers and wide enough that the thing becomes quite uncomfortable to hold if you're playing on the pad itself for any extended period of time.

Aside from just looking uglier than sin, this would be just as bad. Not to mention completely impossible to use the actual buttons on the system with any level of comfort.

As for closing it, since portability isn't an issue, why would that be? The entire thing's a bloody stupid idea to begin with - they may as well make it half way useful while still making it awful.

It actually comes with handles.
fuckingamazinguxjnw.jpg

My dream of finally owning an ergonomic handheld after more than a decade of suffering has finally come true.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Fumanshu said:
My dream of finally owning an ergonomic handheld after more than a decade of suffering has finally come true.
i saw the handles - they were more or less what got me interested in the hardware, beyond the extra control options. It may no longer fit in my pocket, but it'll sure as hell fit better in my hands. And now I've seen a decent picture of the back, I'm sold.

Thanks for sharing!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's hardly ergonomic when the entire thing is sinfully left-aligned and out of balance. As for the 'grips', that may have been necessary with the original 3DS, but from my experience with demo units, the 3DS XL's dimensions are already comfortable. I don't think adding further bulk would be helpful - especially for being able to use the buttons along the bottom screen. It looks as though you'd have to basically remove your hand from the back of the device entirely for your thumb to reach the start button. A ludicrous choice.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I know the rest of the internets is already raging over this, but it has to be said: the 6 month+ delay of Rayman Legends on Wii U makes me a sad panda. ;_;

There's barely anything to play on the Wii U right now as is, and as someone who loved Rayman Origins and the Rayman Legends demo, I've been dying to finally own this new game. It looks great. I even paid off some of my pre-order for the game last week because I'm so damn eager to play it. Now I'm thinking that I'll ask for a refund and put that cash towards different things (games that are actually releasing during this half of the year).

But eh. At least people without a Wii U will be able to enjoy the game too come September. I don't really give a damn about the Wii U exclusivity of the game being lost since it was inevitable and rumored at awhile ago, but it's not hard to see how this is quite a blow to the Wii U game lineup and Nintendo's ego. Early adopters who bought the console with Rayman Legends in mind are likely headdesking something awful. Even worse is the fact that many of us remember quite clearly the various ads that dubbed Rayman Legends as being "Exclusively on Wii U". Apparently Ubisoft hasn't even updated the Wii U release date on their website yet. The situation is laughable at best, and I feel for the devs who worked their asses off to meet the Wii U launch date only to have this news dropped on 'em.

Rumor has it that the Wii U delay could be due to Microsoft's simultaneous release policy. I've yet to see any proof to back up that rumor mill but it'd make sense. Personally I'll still likely buy the Wii U version since it has the additional player capabilities, but knowing the Wii U version is basically 99% finished - if not completely finished and ready for shipping - is painful knowledge.