• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Gen V Attack/Ability Mechanics Q&A

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I technically do have a specific question to ask here, but I figure we can use this thread as general help topic for new attacks or ability mechanics people need more information on. So, if you're stumped or curious about something, ask away and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.

Anyways, my question is about the ability Encourage (aka. Brute Force). Read this on Bulbapedia recently:
Brute Force raises the base power of all moves that have a positive secondary effect by 30%, the secondary effects are ignored. However, this ability is not applied to moves that have a negative effect on the user, such as recoil, two-turn moves, and stat reduction after using certain moves. If a Pokémon with Brute Force is holding a Life Orb and uses an attack that would be boosted by Brute Force, then the move gains both boosts but the user receives no recoil damage.

The bolded text is what truly interests me. Earlier in that paragraph they mention that the ability is not applied for negative effects, so I'm a bit skeptic about Life Orb not giving any recoil damage. Isn't the damage you receive from Life Orb also a "negative effect"? ... It just sounds a bit too good to be true, so confirmation is appreciated.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Re: Understanding Gen V Attack/Ability Mechanics

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a glitch, since it wouldn't be the first time an ability has been glitched before. Before Platinum, No Guard allowed moves a percentage chance to break through Protect/Detect equal to the move's chance of missing (so 50% chance for DynamicPunch and 20% for Stone Edge.) While it was initially believed that this was intended, it turned out this was in fact a glitch and was thus removed for Platinum onwards. Same thing may have occurred here, we'll only know for sure when the third game of this generation comes out - if Brute Force still has this effect with Life Orb, then it's safe to say it was intentional. If it's removed, evidently it was a glitch.

That said, I've not tested this myself to see if it definitely works (although, as I said, if it does work I wouldn't be surprised.)

Re: Understanding Gen V Attack/Ability Mechanics

Here's one.

Does U-Turn activate the Regeneration ability, such as on Mienshao? Here's to hoping!

*No one?