• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Geminos: ~Threads of Uncertainty~ (Role Play Thread)

"Ruff!" (Manti!)

Terra cried in concern as the pin missiles, or least some of them, struck the Grass Type as Devin had to wince himself. This was what a true Gym Battle was like eh? Such on the fly thinking with counters upon counters, this had been a different league than the usual battle with the wild which Devin had a shaky record on.

Devin wondered if he could really do this...

But, as his Rockruff barked in support, he shook his head as he focused on the match. Which Rowan seemed to be trying to put an end to as he called on the big guns with Leaf Storm. If this hit it surely had to deal critical damage to the water type, Devin hoped for the best as he looked on intently.

Sparks flew from Beepbeep's magnets as Mantí fired off a Leaf Storm after getting hit by a couple of Pin Missiles. "Brzzt!" (That's how you do it, mess them up good!) Sandra on the other hand was caught off guard by the powerful move that the little Grass type just dished out.

"Leaf Storm? I-Incredible! Mantí is so much stronger than I first imagined! Come on Rowan, win this match!" She cried out in support as she raised her fist to cheer her friend on.

The Corsola tried to swim away from the attack, but she eventually got caught up in the vortex. Jacky watched despertly as her Pokemon was taken by the attack.
"One last attempt to fight back, mirror coat!" The gym leader called out.
Cora took the damage she was received and sent back as much as possible before passing out.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
As expected, one clean hit from Mantì did the Coral Pokémon in, concluding the battle in the process. Rowan smiled and returned his partner to her Pokèball before walking over to Jacky.

"That was a good battle," The aspiring trainer extended his hand outward to shake Jacky's hand, "Even though I saw some of your tricks before I fought you, you didn't have any problems coming up with new ones. That alone should deserve merit,"

"C-congrats Rowan..." Devin said with a small smile, startled when he heard Sandra's voice as he failed to notice his other traveling mate in the room which had been enough to get a fluster but he died it down quickly. Soon enough the Gym Leader and Rowan exchange words as in spite of her "losing streak" she eagerly asked who was next which caused Devin to pause.

Naturally, Terra was eager as can be. Barking proudly as she wanted a piece of the action. Devin noticed the Pokeball on his belt shake as if his Growlithe called for action himself. Though in spite of this and Devin's own desires to finally begin his quest to the Pokemon League proper he had his hesitation.

In spite of her loss here, and presumably other contests, the Gym Leader had a level of skill in spite of type disadvantage to make competitive contests which had been enough to raise nerves. The more pressing concern though had been his team's lack of coordination to be kind given their subpar performance against wild Pokemon. He may not have been ready, may not have been the trainer yet to get natural rivals to co-exist...but this chance was right there. How could he pass it up? What would his Pokemon think of him if he backed down from this open challenge? What would Rowan and Sandra think?

What would he think?

In the end, Devin soon spoke up. "We'd like to take the challenge. If that is okay with you..." Devin said, as he made his answer to her challenge clear though paused in case Sandra had an objection.

Jacky nodded and smiled. "Step right up kid. With my luck today, you'll walk out with a new badge." She waited for him to get to his spot. "Do you know the rules or do you need me to repeat them? I've noticed you arrived early but if you need a refresher let me know."

Sandra raised an eyebrow, Devon sure had guts going after the Water gym with his team of a Rock and Fire type. Maybe he had a strategy that he discovered during their little split, who knew? Deciding to give him the benefit of the doubt, Sandra nodded. "Do your best Devon, make yourself proud!" She cheered on her other friend as Beepbeeps scrutinizing, unblinking eye watched closely. It wanted to battle, it knew that it could beat at least that Poliwag. If only its trainer decided to fight that gym leader....

Devin nodded at Sandra before he approached moving to the opposite side of the area from Jacky as he smiled, seemingly confident or at least he tried to present himself as confident. Though when asked if he needed to be informed of the rules or not he had given a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his head.

"Well I actually came in mid-battle so...a refresher for the specifics of this gym would be appreciated." Devin said as he figured clarification was safest to go with a challenge like this before him. Terra meanwhile seemed all fired up with an eager grin plastered on her face as her tail wagged in frantic energy. In spite of the type disadvantage she seemed prepped to go.

Jacky nodded and smiled. "Sure thing. You can use two different Pokemon. You may only switch out once during battle while I can't."
She threw her Pokeball in the air and released her Poliwag. "Let's do this Polo, I know you must be getting tired, but it's to build our character!"
The Poliwag sighed with and upset look and smashed it's tail against the ground several times.

Devin nodded, rules seemed simple enough to understand. Challengers seemed to have the advantage, but he had not been willing to take anything away as that little advantage was no doubt put in place given how seasoned Gym Leaders typically had been in this format as Terra prepared to step forward the Rockruff ready to battle even though it walked in with major type disadvantage.

Woosh!

Though a complication had come, as his Growltihe had released itself from its Pokeball and stepped ahead; tongue lulled and barking as it to seemed to want to prove itself. This caused Terra and it to engage in a barking match as Devin watched with a dumbfounded look as the two butt heads before he quickly moved between them.

"Guys guys easy...guys!" Devin said, first with a gentle tone but then when that failed to affect either pup Pokemon he yelled out which stunned the pair as all eyes were on him. Devin had a sweat drop roll down the back of the head as he sheepishly scratched the back of his head.

"Just uh...give us a minute. Sorry." Devin said as he pulled in Terra and Growlithe into a huddle and conversed with them over it. The two had both been giddy about going first, and while Devin felt more comfortable with Terra given their history Growlithe needed a chance to to prove himself and to deny it may cause problems. Eventually, a begrudging compromise had been reached as the trio walked up and Growlithe stepped forward. Terra looked on in envy, but for the sake of Devin and the "team" she tried to keep the bitter feelings down.

"Alright, let's do this Growlithe!" Devin said, as he hoped to gain positive ground now as Growlithe barked happily as it faced the Poliwag with fiery determination.

Jacky looked confused as she watched Devin get his team together. He had basically just showed her which two Pokemon he would use, so there weren't any surprises from either side as he had seen her team before also. Despite having and advantage in typing, she would not hold back.
"Start this off with a scald Polo!" The gym leader shouted.
The Poliwag took in a deep breath and shot it's burning water towards it's opponent over the water and straight at Growlithe.

Ellen's mitigation tactics seemed to be effective as she was able to reduce the destruction with repeated usages of grow and intimidate and on the rare occasion disable. What she could she blocked with Iron defense, and eventually, she'd bought enough time for the worker to return with a stack of pancakes.

Truthful to its purpose the Pokedex didn't lie and the stack of pancakes immediately distracted the Alolan Raichu. With one combatant down the other was more easily pacified. After a tense few minutes, the situation had been successfully handled—much to Ellen's relief.

"Dieu Merci..." She softly whispered, clenching her fist over her still-beating heart.

What followed next came naturally as the rogue Arcanine seemed willing to lead her to its trainer. After a few short words with the store's manager in which she wrote down a few things as a part of her official report, she departed.

Ugh this isn’t good. I guess I don’t have a choice.

Either the other boy had frozen in fear or fled because now after looking up from providing first aid to Atticus, Acacia saw the little girl nobly facing off against the thug’s two Pokémon with nothing but a Tyrogue.

“Alright Zeni, use Hydro Pump!” The worn red and silver ball that Acacia had since the very beginning of his journey flew through the air and opened with a brilliant white flash.

As the light settled the outline of Acacia’s strongest Pokémon could be seen: a large turtle with cannons protruding out from either side of its shell.

The Blastoise smiled to the Tyrogue and protectively pushing it behind him and preparing its hydro pump.

A burst of high pressure water launched from either cannon, slamming into both the Metang and Houndoom and knocking each out with ease.

It appeared as though the battle was over, but Zeni had not forgiven the abuser for what it had done to Scorbunny or the kid. With surprising speed for its large side it charged forward and punched with an ice cloaked fist that sent the thug flying backwards and into a tree.

“A little excessive but I’ll allow it.” Acacia laughed as Zeni changed his expression of rage to his natural innocent and playful disposition and ran in to give his trainer a hug.

“Haha nice job buddy! Way to show em who’s boss!” He reciprocated the hug and patted the turtle on the head before walking over to the girl.

“Hey nice battling! You sure got guts taking on that guy.” Acacia extended a hand while taking a moment to admire the young girls brave spirit. “I’m Acacia by the way, it’s nice to meet you!”

Devin's eyes widened quickly as the Gym Leader struck once he had given the sign he was ready as a ball of boiling water had been shot at the Growlithe and quickly Devin had to answer in kind.

"Growlithe roll out of the way! Then use Tackle!" Devin called out, already he sensed a problem with this even as he had his fire type successfully roll to the side as really the Fire attacks Growlithe had on hand were gonna be ill effective on the water type. So Devin had done what he felt he only could have done as Growlithe charged fast as its little paws could take it with the aim to try and ram its body into the Poliwag for a Tackle attempt.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
In truth, hearing Jacky's comment about her losing streak made Rowan feel for the Gym Leader. He knew what it was like to have a losing streak and even worse, he knew what it was like to have a crushed spirit.

Maybe I would've been better off coming at another time

Regardless, the next gym battle was underway, this time the challenger was Devin, although logic dictates that he wouldn't pose much of a challenge for Jacky. Rock and Fire weren't ideal for challenging a gym that specialized in water, and this was exacerbated by the fact that Terra and Devin's Growlithe didn't even want to breathe the same oxygen. Still, Rowan made his way to the stands to encourage his friend.

"Hey Sandra, thanks for coming," Rowan smiled at his friend as he sat down, letting K18 out of his Pokéball to watch his fellow Puppy Pokémon fight the Tadpole Pokémon. The Fire type perked up once he saw the other Growlithe fighting what seemed to be a losing battle against Jacky's Poliwag.

"Grrrowll, Growlithe!"(All right buddy, take em' down!) The Pokémon trainer chuckled at his fire type's enthusiasm for the coming battle, even if a small part of Rowan predicted that it wasn't going to last very long.

Devin felt some pride when the tackle connected, but any satisfaction that came with the successful move seemed to fade as it began to rain which only spelt trouble for him. Devin had to act and had to act fast or else things had the chance to turn south especially once the Poliwag would use another water move in this.

"Alright, try to circle them and go for Bite!" Devin called out, once more he had to try a non-fire move especially with Rain Dance in effect so Growlithe charged once more, though not a frontal charge as he'd try to get in close and run circles around Poliwag as Devin hoped that they could confuse it before it charged to attempt a bite from the back right side.

The Poliwag cries out as it received a bite attack from behind.
"Flee into the water!" Jacky called out.
The water Pokemon dove into the water and began swimming around. It was moving quickly and it's shadow barley showing on the surface.
"Scald!" Jacky cried out.
The Poliwag emerged from the water in front of the Growlithe, jumping in the air and shot an even stronger Scald.

"I promised you I'd come watch, didn't I? You did well out there, Beepbeep got a bit fired up during your fight when Mantí used Leaf Storm. I didn't even know they could do that." Sandra complimented her friend before watching Devin's fight. "I am not too sure what Devin is trying to do though. I get that the gym has to be beaten someday, but wouldn't it make more sense for him to have built more trust between Terra and his Growlithe before challenging the gym? If I missed some bonding whilst I was gone, he must be one heck of a trainer to trust his team this much already. You've got to give him credit for his guts though, going against a Water type gym leader with a Rock and Fire type."

Naturally the Growlithe broke the bite before it had been dragged into the water with the Poliwag as it and Devin tried to follow or guess where the Water Type would have come from but both were just a hair late as the Poliwag emerged from the water and fired a boiling wad of water that struck Growlithe right in the chest.

"GROWL!" Growlithe cried out as it was knocked back, delt heavy damage from the super effective move as Growlithe stumbled back. "Growlithe!? Are you okay!?" Devin called out though the Fire Type showed some heart as it stood and barked in affirmation while Devin bit his lip. 1 or 2 more of those and he figured he was good as dead, but what could he do? If he tried to get close he risked another Scald or it would flee to the water to get distance, he needed to strike from a distance but that left one option which had been far from the most effective damage.

But, even a move that wasn't effect had to do something, and so long as it kept the pressure up it'd buy Growlithe time to recover. With a sweat that dripped off the forehead Devin decided to go for his next move. "Growlithe Ember!"

Growlithe fired several small spheres of fire in rapid succession at the water type not a moment after as Devin launched his distance attack, though if he had any hope to win he'd need to find a way to get close and get another up close attack in. Devin raced through his options while Terra looked on eagerly.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
"Honestly, I was surprised that my little grass type knew such a powerful move as well when Mantì and I were just starting out," Rowan chuckled at Sandra's compliment as he turned his attention to his friend's battle, "I personally think Devin has bigger issues to resolve than trust issues between Terra and his Growlithe,"

Rowan allowed himself a pause to carefully consider his wording since he didn't want to present the idea that he was belittling Devin through his analysis.

"What I'm trying to say is that Devin's choices have inherently put him at a disadvantage for this gym. One of the reasons I won was due to the fact that I picked the right types for the job: Electric and Grass. Contrastingly, not only does Devin not have those types, he has chosen two Pokèmon with types that are weak to Jacky's Pokemon and furthermore, none of those Pokemon know a move that could compensate for their type weakness, like a water type knowing an ice move to deal with opposing grass types," The Pokémon trainer allowed himself yet another pause due to the fact that he believed he was coming off as dismissive towards his friend, "What I'm trying to say is that I would've recommended at least getting a Pokèmon that isn't weak to Water before trying to take down the Gym. But I must say, he's handling it about as well as possible,"

"I don't think he has any other Pokémon than Terra and Growlithe, and that rivalry between them might screw him over. I dunno, he might pull through but I'm somewhat skeptical." Sandra furrowed her brow as she watched Growlithe get blasted by a Scald. "If he loses this try, I might allow him to use Beepbeep if he wants to. They've got plenty of built-up energy anyway and I am not that interested in the Pokémon League challenge." The Magnemite floated around, eager to zap the Water type that was within attacking range. If only it was them fighting and not that Fire type...

The Poliwag wag closed it's eyes as it received the ember attack straight on, but shook it off as soon as it was over. However, it showed a burn on its side.
"Ouch! How lucky is that? Fine we will have to finish this fast. Polo, use your speed to confuse it and then use Scald!"
Polo jumped into the water again, swimming in circles until it could not be seen. This time, it jumped out from behind his enemy and shot a Scald attack, while still in the air.

And it seemed to work out enough, as the poor Growlithe tried to follow the action as indeed the poor dog Pokemon began to get dizzy as it struggled to keep pace with it as it felt like it had seen this blur in the water spinning around its head.

As the Poliwag jumped up and shot the Scald as Devin called for it to dodge, but it was just too little too late as the Scald hit Growlithe square in the chest and knocked the fire Pokemon back as it skidded along the ground much to Devin's horror.

"Growlithe!" Devin called out, but the spirals showed in its eyes as the consecutive super effective attacks were too much and Growlithe had fainted then and there giving the round to Poliwag.

"Y-yeah, you are strong. Get your rest Growlithe you earned it." Devin said as he recalled his partner and Terra seemed to scoff at it. Serves the pup right for hogging the start, now they had been forced in a hole and they'd need to find a way out of it. None the less Devin frowned as his chances seemed slim but he had stepped up to the plate so he could not back down now.

"Alright Terra, let's show him what we can do." Devin said as Terra stepped forward and barked ever eager to get action as Devin focused on the round ahead of them.

The Poliwag took a deep breath, actually showing some signs of fatigue. However, it still looked very determined to battle.
"Great, let's do this!" Jacky pointed at the opponent. "Let's start strong, Scald!"
Polo took in a deep breath and shot it's power Scald attack at the enemy.

Devin knew he had to answer quickly, and so called upon Terra's natural agility here as he responded in kind. "Terra, roll to the side then charge and use Rock Blast!"

Terra nodded as the Rockruff rolled to the side and avoided the Scald before she produced several small rocks and fired them at the Poliwag while she charged ahead. Devin naturally hoped that, while the rocks may not have much effect on the water type, they'd at least distract it and do some damage while Terra worked to get in close.

Jacky seemed surprised by the move her opponent had done. Same went for the Poliwag, who was impacted several times by the rock blast, making it stumble backwards and falling on it's back.
"Desperate times call for desperte measures! Hypnosis!" Jacky called out.
Polo pushed himself up with his tail, it's eyes glowed and it sent hypnotic waves at the attacker, if this failed, he was done for.

"Look out Terra! Close your eyes!" Devin called out in a slight panic as he heard Hypnosis called, the last thing he needed was to fall victim to this as well.

But Terra had been a step too quick it seemed, she was so driven to beat the Pokemon Growlithe failed to do, and that drive to get to the Poliwag as quickly as it can and such single minded focus meant she had been a step too slow to react and by the time she realized what happened she was drawn into the hypnotic gaze of the Poliwag as Devin looked on and scrambled to think of a way out as Terra began to feel fatigued.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
Rowan smiled at his thoughtful friend's offer to let Devin use her Magnemite, but it seemed like no amount of friendliness was going to save Devin's chances of winning. As one would expect, Devin's Growlithe soon became overwhelmed by the rain-powered Scald attack, much to K18's dismay. With Terra coming out for the opposition, the situation seemed to improve by the slightest amount. Although the Rockruff was more experienced than her fire puppy counterpart, that experience meant nothing if she was too busy with nap-time to use it.

"You can do this, Devin!" Rowan shouted out at his friend for encouragement. Despite the fact that the gym leader had all but won this battle, the Alolan trainer still offered encouragement for his companion.

Last edited:
"Terra snap out of it quick!" Devin called out, concern clear in his tone as he looked at his Rockruff who seemed dazed and sleepy as she wobbled on her paws while the Poliwag prepared a Scald as he needed her out now or risk being slammed with a Super Effective move out of the gate.

As fortune would have it, Terra managed to snap out of the daze just in time as she rolled to the side to avoid it, though part of it skinned her back leg as she cried out a whimper of pain. Still, she pressed on as Devin moved just as quick and tried to mount a counter attack on the weakened water type.

"Terra take it down with a Tackle!" Devin called out as the Rockruff charged and aimed to try and slam against the Poliwag with all she had as Devin hoped they could finally get at least one of the Pokemon down to give themselves a chance.

"Look out!" Jacky called out to her Pokemon. But, the Poliwag was too tired as it wasn't able to move in time and took the tackle directly. Polo fell on his back with a clear expression that he wasn't able to continue anymore. Jack sighed and returned her Pokemon. "You know, of all the trainers today, you're the one I admire most. It take guts to challenge me with no advantage what do ever. That doesn't mean I will let you win." She smirked as she sent out her Corsola. "Cora here will end this battle. Ready?"
The Corsola let out a battle cry as she locked her sight on her opponent.

You know, of all the trainers today, you're the one I admire most. It take guts to challenge me with no advantage what do ever.

Devin instantly had a touch of guilt at the praise, he wished he had come here for that reason. He wished that it was off pure guts and belief in his team in spite of the disadvantage. But that was not the full truth...

"T-thank you, you are strong yourself. And we won't lay down so give us your best!"

...but he masked that well.

Either way, Terra stared at the Corsola intently as the next round was set to begin, and Devin decided to strike first with the best move he could think to use. "Terra use Sand Attack!"

Terra began to kick up dust, dirt and whatever else she could from the arena as she aimed to try and launch the sand right towards the Corsola as Devin aimed to try and attack its accuracy given the rest of her long range arsenal would be less than effective at this stage.

The Corsola cried out as sand hit her eyes. She shook herself to try and get it off but wasn't able to, if only she had arms. Jacky on the other hand didn't look too worried about the situation. She pointed at the water and called out, "Cora, into the water!". The Corsola dove in without hesitation, sinking to the bottom and letting her eyes be cleaned out.
"Lowering our accuracy is a really good trick, but sooner or later you're gonna have to get close enough." Jacky said out loud. "Cora, pin missile!"
From the bottom of the pool, the Corsola shot various pins out of the water and they began falling towards the Rockruff.

Devin bit his tongue, this field seemed to work to neutralize any attempt to cause irritation to the opponent which to be fair he should have figured the field would aid the Gym Leader though he had to scramble. And scramble quickly as the Corsola was quick to fire a Pin Missile as Devin's eyes widened.

"Dodge Terra!" Devin called out as Terra moved quickly to the side and tried to avoid the pins as he needed to attack back. But so long as Corsola was in the water Devin had no way to fight back as he needed a way to lure her out. But what?

Jacky smirked. "Why not dive in and take us on underwater?" She crossed her arms. "Repeat Cora, that pup is gonna get tired sooner or later!"
The Corsola began moving around underwater, changing it's position and therefore the direction of where the Pin Missile attack came from. The attacks were continuous. The Corsola would switch position, fire her attack and repeat the process, moving swiftly underwater.

Yeah take on a water type underwater with a rock type, Devin might have been driven to make an impulsive challenge but even he had not been that stupid. Still though he was in a pickle, Terra continued to roll jump or run as best she could but with her limited platform she had limited running space and indeed fatigue would eventually creep up.

He needed to strike back, but how? Eventually Devin settled with his own attempt at "spear" fishing.

"Terra use Rock Blast in the water, try and hit the Corsola!"

Terra would nod and, while she ran to evade, fired several rocks fast as she could towards the spot the pin missile came from as Devin hoped he could strike back or force the Corsola to surface to evade.