• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Gaby's Team Needs Criticism!

Ok so this is my future team, and I already have all the pokemon. I just need to evolve some but I have the stones and etc. for that. This is what I have...​

Scizor: Item ??
Quirky
252 Attk EVs/252 Speed EVs/6 HP EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset:
----------------------
- X-Scissor
- False Swipe*
- Swords Dance
- Slash*

Porygon-Z: Item ??
Hardy
252 Sp. Atk EVs/252 Def. EVs/6 HP EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset
----------------------
- Signal Beam*
- Tri Attack
- Lock-On
- Zap Cannon

Gallade: Item ??
Quirky
252 Attk EVs/252 Sp. Attk EVs/ 6 Speed EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset
----------------------
- Psycho Cut
- Swords Dance
- Psychic
- Magical Leaf*

Absol:Item ??
Impish
252 Atk. EVs/ 252 Speed EVs/ 6 HP EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset
----------------------
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash
- Me First
- Perish Song

Blaziken: Item ??
Hardy
252 Attk. EVs/252 Sp. Attk EVs/6 Speed EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset
----------------------
- Bulk Up*
- Sky Uppercut
- Flamethrower
- Slash

Tropius: Item ??
Quiet
252 Sp. Attk EVs/252 HP EVs/6 Def. EVs
----------------------
Future Moveset
----------------------
- Fly*
- Magical Leaf
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam

This is not really a competitive team because I didn't do IVs or Natures that much. Mainly because it's my first officially EV trained team that I've done.

Note: Moves with (*) next to them are the move(s) that that pokemon already has. Also, I might consider doing Gallade's EVs differently, because I don't think he needs Sp. Attk.​

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Since this is a future team, I'm going to give you some Platinum-only moves here.

Scizor @ Life Orb/Occa Berry
Technician
Adamant

- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
- X-Scissor

Tech-STAB'd Bullet Punch from Base 130 Attack with a Swords Dance boost to boot is deadly, and that's exactly what Scizor is packing nowadays. What makes this especially dangerous is the fact that Bullet Punch is a priority attack, so Scizor will always outspeed the opponent when using it. Brick Break and X-Scissor are there to provide coverage against Steel-types and grant double STAB respectively. You typically want 252 Attack EVs on this for definite, although the Speed EVs don't have to be 252 thanks to Bullet Punch - you could potentially put all the Speed EVs into HP instead if you felt like it, although 252 Speed would make your other attacks more viable.

Porygon-Z @ Salac Berry
Modest/Timid
Adaptability

- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute/Thunderbolt

Porygon-Z's somewhat disappointing Speed stat can be an issue with a Nasty Plot set, but with Base 135 Sp.Attack and the Adaptability ability, sticking Nasty Plot on this thing can allow it to do insane levels of damage. Tri Attack grants you STAB, and Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse grants you a move to hit Ghosts with. Substitute essentially guarantees you'll get to use your Salac Berry, although it does rob you of some of Porygon-Z's coverage. BoltBeam is also available to you if you prefer that over Substitute - mess around with it and see what works best for you.

Some minor things of note as well:

- Gallade doesn't want Sp.Attack EVs or any Special attacks at all for that matter - it is better off going all-physical. Dump all your Sp.Attack EVs onto Speed, since Gallade really needs to pump as much into Speed as it can.

- Me First on Absol isn't a good idea since there's a lot that can outspeed the thing, essentially rendering Me First useless. Typically, Sucker Punch is the preferred STAB move on Absol due to its first-strike properties.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for commenting. I haven't really done a competitive team before. I EV trained at one point but never competetive.

Anyway, I like the moveset you gave Porygon-Z. It covers alot of his weak points and I think it'll be useful. I think my Scizors moveset is the best though. The Bullet Punch/Sword Dance combo will really pay off in my opinion.

Thanks again, it really helped.

Absol@ Scope Lens
Adamant / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 Wherever
Super Luck Ability

-Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Night Slash
-Superpower

Abusing Super Luck and Scope Lens put all of Absol's attack that don't have a preset critical hit ratio to rise to 33% critical hit ratio. Any attacks that have a preset critical hit ratio go to 50% critical hit ratio with the Scope Lens and the ability Super Luck.

Both Night Slash and Psycho Cut have a 50% ciritcal hit rate now.
Night Slash gives STAB, knowing if the opponents Pokémon is slower than you and is most likely going to not attack.

Psycho Cut gives coverage on Fighting-types.

Superpower and Sucker Punch have a critical hit rate of 33% now.

Superpower hits Steel-types that try to wall you.

Sucker Punch from Absol is the strongest priority attack in the game. Sucker Punch gives Absol something to boast about, since it has lack luster speed.

Superpower is a Platinum move tutor move as well.

Last edited by a moderator: