• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Frontier team

I'm looking to make a good frontier team so I can stack up battle points faster. I'm not looking to go into EVs so a basic idea please.

Right now I'm using

Typhlosion - charcoal - Modest
Flame wheel
double-edge
flamethrower
eruption (I know its not good to have 3 fire moves I don't know what to replace them with)

Feraligatr - quick claw - Adamant
Hydro pump
aqua tail
super power
crunch

Torterra - shell bell - Quirky
Leaf storm
earthquake
giga drain
rock climb

I also have
Gallade - none - serious
night slash
confusion
close combat
psycho cut

Luxray - Amulet coin - gentle
thunder fang
crunch
bite
discharge

Glalie - never melt ice - naughty
blizzard
ice shard
ice fang
crunch

This is also my team for beating gym leaders again

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
No EVs is a sure-fire way to get murdered in the Battle Frontier. If you don't want to EV train, don't expect to win very much without very good movesets that let you circumvent your inferior stats.

As for the movesets, they range between mediocre and poor throughout. You mentioned Typhlosion's problem with multiple Fire-type moves, but Glalie has the same problem, and Feraligatr and Luxray suffer it to a lesser extent as well.

Feraligatr and Typhlosion have perfect Natures, so I'll address those two to begin:

Typhlosion @ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Petaya Berry/Salac Berry
Modest
Blaze

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Focus Blast/Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp (Filler)

Typhlosion's movepool is terrible, without question, and requires some forms of improvisation to be effective, which is where Substitute comes in - it lets you hit with Focus Punch and Will-O-Wisp safely, and can easily activate Pinch Berries and put you into Blaze. Overall, it's pretty much STAB Special attack, coverage attack in the form of Focus Blast/Punch, Substitute and a filler move - that's all Typhlosion really has for viable options.

Feraligatr @ Muscle Band/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Adamant
Torrent

- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Ice Punch/Dragon Claw
- Crunch/Earthquake

Standard "stick four moves together and make a set" style for Feraligatr really (since Dragon Dance and Aqua Jet are only available with re-breeding,) which works very well with a Choice item. Scarf is for extra Speed, Band gives you extra power, whilst Muscle Band gives you a smaller boost than the Choice Band but doesn't lock you down to a single move.

For the other four, I'd suggest reading through this topic:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=4070.0

...and this topic:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=3017.0

...to get the basic idea of what you want for the Battle Frontier.

Thanks for the advice I've begun fixing my problem but 1 item and 1 move have to be claimed at the frontier >.> guess it is more slow bps for me