1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPPt/HGSS Frontier team

Discussion in 'The Doctor's Clinic' started by ratsmilk, Feb 23, 2010.

1. I'm looking to make a good frontier team so I can stack up battle points faster. I'm not looking to go into EVs so a basic idea please.

Right now I'm using

Typhlosion - charcoal - Modest
    Flame wheel
    double-edge
    flamethrower
    eruption (I know its not good to have 3 fire moves I don't know what to replace them with)

Feraligatr - quick claw - Adamant
    Hydro pump
    aqua tail
    super power
    crunch

Torterra - shell bell - Quirky
    Leaf storm
    earthquake
    giga drain
    rock climb

I also have
    Gallade - none - serious
    night slash
    confusion
    close combat
    psycho cut

Luxray - Amulet coin - gentle
    thunder fang
    crunch
    bite
    discharge

Glalie - never melt ice - naughty
    blizzard
    ice shard
    ice fang
    crunch

This is also my team for beating gym leaders again

2. KoL

KoL FPS Guy
    Staff Member Moderator

No EVs is a sure-fire way to get murdered in the Battle Frontier. If you don't want to EV train, don't expect to win very much without very good movesets that let you circumvent your inferior stats.

As for the movesets, they range between mediocre and poor throughout. You mentioned Typhlosion's problem with multiple Fire-type moves, but Glalie has the same problem, and Feraligatr and Luxray suffer it to a lesser extent as well.

Feraligatr and Typhlosion have perfect Natures, so I'll address those two to begin:

Typhlosion @ Life Orb/Expert Belt/Petaya Berry/Salac Berry
    Modest
    Blaze

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast/Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp (Filler)

Typhlosion's movepool is terrible, without question, and requires some forms of improvisation to be effective, which is where Substitute comes in - it lets you hit with Focus Punch and Will-O-Wisp safely, and can easily activate Pinch Berries and put you into Blaze. Overall, it's pretty much STAB Special attack, coverage attack in the form of Focus Blast/Punch, Substitute and a filler move - that's all Typhlosion really has for viable options.

Feraligatr @ Muscle Band/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Adamant
    Torrent

- Waterfall
    - Superpower
    - Ice Punch/Dragon Claw
    - Crunch/Earthquake

Standard "stick four moves together and make a set" style for Feraligatr really (since Dragon Dance and Aqua Jet are only available with re-breeding,) which works very well with a Choice item. Scarf is for extra Speed, Band gives you extra power, whilst Muscle Band gives you a smaller boost than the Choice Band but doesn't lock you down to a single move.

For the other four, I'd suggest reading through this topic:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=4070.0

...and this topic:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=3017.0

...to get the basic idea of what you want for the Battle Frontier.

3. Thanks for the advice I've begun fixing my problem but 1 item and 1 move have to be claimed at the frontier >.> guess it is more slow bps for me